Menu

Jokes & memes

Katy

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This baby elephant playing with an empty milk bottle is too freaking cute, and the story behind her birth is incredibly touching. Her mother, Murera, was rescued and raised by Sheldrick Wildlife Trust after she was found severely injured from stepping on a poisoned spike. The injury caused permanent mobility issues so she lives at the Sheldrick Trust's Umani Springs facility, which is near open forest where wild elephants roam. Murera was extremely attached to a little elephant named Luggard who also lived there due to physical disabilities, and she treated him like her own child. When he died suddenly, she was so devastated she walked off into the forest and was gone for several days before finally returning to Umani Springs. Exactly 22 months later, she gave birth to little Mwana, and three wild bulls emerged from the forest to protect her and the baby, while all the orphaned youngsters who live there ran around trumpeting with excitement. In another twist to the story, Murera didn't seem to understand nursing, so the Sheldrick keepers had to hand-milk her and bottle feed the baby! After 10 days of that, something clicked and she allowed Mwana to nurse (which I'm sure was a huge relief to the keepers, because milking an elephant every 2 hours around the clock probably gets pretty old, lol). Mwana is about 4 months old, and the way she sits down with a smile on her face at the end of the video is almost too cute to be real — it reminds me of the CGI in Dumbo.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I do really like the idea of a trampoline that is level with the ground though. Maybe not with the fire pit though.  

IMG_3520.jpeg

I went to half-day kindergarten at a woman's home who had her classroom in what I suppose was a large extra living space. Outside, we had a rectangular in-ground trampoline, as well as other things, like a walk-in playhouse, etc. We loved that thing. I think it was probably hard to clean out below it, because I do remember it collected leaves under it. This was before the days of many people having backyard trampolines, so it was a novelty to all of us.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Terabith said:

I do really like the idea of a trampoline that is level with the ground though. Maybe not with the fire pit though.  

IMG_3520.jpeg

Mark said, and I quote, "But I could bounce and roast hot dogs at the same time!" 

So ya. Some off us are spending our lives married to crazy people and narrowly avoiding daily disasters! 😂😂😂

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Terabith said:

BMs per hour though…

IMG_3521.jpeg

I get the concept, but those numbers are way off — they're comparing the cost of a plain burger in 1980 ($0.50) to the cost of a Big Mac Meal with a drink and large fries in 2022. A Big Mac was around $1.50 in 1980 and it's around $4.50 now (ranging from $4 in some southern states to $5 in CA).

I'm not sure what % of people were actually making $3.10/hr in 1980, but I don't know anyone who only makes $7.25 an hour now. The standard minimum wage in Oregon is $14.20, or $15.46 in the metro area, and I don't know of anywhere around here that's currently hiring for less than $16-17/hr. So the Big-Mac-per-hour rate in 1980 in this area would have been 2-3 BM/hr and now it's 3+ BM/hr. Other costs, like housing and tuition, have certainly skyrocketed compared to wages, but the cost of a Big Mac relative to wages has actually remained pretty steady.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8

23 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I get the concept, but those numbers are way off — they're comparing the cost of a plain burger in 1980 ($0.50) to the cost of a Big Mac Meal with a drink and large fries in 2022. A Big Mac was around $1.50 in 1980 and it's around $4.50 now (ranging from $4 in some southern states to $5 in CA).

I'm not sure what % of people were actually making $3.10/hr in 1980, but I don't know anyone who only makes $7.25 an hour now. The standard minimum wage in Oregon is $14.20, or $15.46 in the metro area, and I don't know of anywhere around here that's currently hiring for less than $16-17/hr. So the Big-Mac-per-hour rate in 1980 in this area would have been 2-3 BM/hr and now it's 3+ BM/hr. Other costs, like housing and tuition, have certainly skyrocketed compared to wages, but the cost of a Big Mac relative to wages has actually remained pretty steady.

DH literally took us all through a McDonald’s for shakes and smoothies tonight to point out the same thing. The Big Mac was $5.60, the individual burgers $2.50, the signs in the window offered $17/hour with automatic raises.

33 minutes ago, Corraleno said:

I think it is regional.

I don't know anyone making $7.25, but it isn't uncommon for the starting wage for CNA's in our area to be $10.10 and pay raises are 50 cents an hour each year. McDonald's is hiring at $12.50, but none of the jobs are full time, and the schedules are only posted 24 hours in advance making it impossible to carry a second part time job. McD's isn't having much luck hiring.

No one should be able to get away with $10.10 for a CNA. It is highway robbery. But the hospital does, and I think the reason is that it is 40 hours a week and 10 days vacation/sick time, and health insurance if the person can find the money to pay their portion of the premium. 

A McDonald's classic hamburger at the closest restaurant to us is $2.59. More with cheese. So that is 5 times the 1980 price. If minimum wage had increased 500%, if would be $15.50. So not the same numbers, but I get the point, and local businesses are not offering that much, not even close. College tuition has outpaced wages by 500%, many other things as well.

It would be nice if these kind of memes were more accurate because we really do need the older generations to understand what the younger ones are up against.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

I think it is regional.

I don't know anyone making $7.25, but it isn't uncommon for the starting wage for CNA's in our area to be $10.10 and pay raises are 50 cents an hour each year. McDonald's is hiring at $12.50, but none of the jobs are full time, and the schedules are only posted 24 hours in advance making it impossible to carry a second part time job. McD's isn't having much luck hiring.

No one should be able to get away with $10.10 for a CNA. It is highway robbery. But the hospital does, and I think the reason is that it is 40 hours a week and 10 days vacation/sick time, and health insurance if the person can find the money to pay their portion of the premium. 

A McDonald's classic hamburger at the closest restaurant to us is $2.59. More with cheese. So that is 5 times the 1980 price. If minimum wage had increased 500%, if would be $15.50. So not the same numbers, but I get the point, and local businesses are not offering that much, not even close. College tuition has outpaced wages by 500%, many other things as well.

It would be nice if these kind of memes were more accurate because we really do need the older generations to understand what the younger ones are up against.

That’s crazy. That’s been the starting wage for something like 30 years. 

30 minutes ago, Katy said:

That’s crazy. That’s been the starting wage for something like 30 years. 

It is crazy. If you listen to local business owners, they talk about employees like they are humans who are so very fortunate to be graced with a job and should be grateful for the crumbs that fall off their boss's table. It really bothers me. It is like they feel entitled to have employees, a kind of modern day slavery if you ask me.

$10.10 an hour. Sigh. No one can survive on that in today's prices, and no one should have to. It is disgusting to my mind.

• Like 10