Menu

POLL: Job Interview

KathyBC

WWYD: Job Interview  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you attend Job B interview or cancel?

• Attend interview
    • Decline interview
    • Other

You apply for Job A and don't hear back. You apply for Job B the following week, they reply interviews will be in two weeks, but don't contact you at that time.
You check on Job B and negotiate an interview for the following week. Job A calls (it's now been a month) and negotiate an interview for the following day. It goes well. They phone the next day with a job offer, you accept.
Do you attend Job B interview anyway, just to see what's out there, or do you explain and cancel?
My real life pool of interested parties are split. Three of them think Job A is a better fit anyway, so cancel. One person understands your mom/wife dilemma that Job A is FT, Job B is PT and thinks you should check it out.

Another vote to go.

If nothing else, you won’t keep asking yourself, “What if...” if you take Job A and it isn’t a good fit for you. You may very well go to this interview and find that Job B is all wrong for you anyway, which will verify your decision to accept Job A. And if this interview goes great and Job B ends up being your dream job, that will be great, too!

I don’t see any down side to going to the interview.

• Like 3

Always go.   I feel like you never know until you go.  Maybe it will lead to something better.  Maybe it will just give you info on the company that will come in handy later.  Like don't work there, or it is a great place.  You might make contacts that will come in handy.

And lastly I think go for more practice on interviewing.  

• Like 3

Yes I would attend the interview.  Although it may be a bummer for Employer A, it isn't that unusual - I am sure they know you sent more than one resume.  If you're going to make a change, better to do it before Employer A expends a lot of resources training you etc.

• Like 1

I would go and check it out if you think job B might be a better fit in some ways.  I probably would have told job A I need a few days to mull it over if it were possible.  This isn't unusual at all though and really shouldn't be super unexpected if you pulled your acceptance.  I actually did this once after working somewhere for about a week.  The job wasn't at all advertised and another potential employer came through with a much better offer.  

• Like 1

Go. You never know what will happen.

My dd was in a similar situation this spring. She accepted an offer from job A and then interviewed for job B. Job B was supposed to be part time and we were not sure it was the right fit, before the interview. After the interview, job B like her so much, they came back with an offer that beat Job A. 

• Like 1