Menu

A lighthearted realization that you college student parents will get!

Faith-manor

With five kids going off to college and having to suffer through FAFSA filing (when we had to have the latest financial/tax info) every single year for well more than a decade, I still feel haunted when I hear "FAFSA."  

Congratulations! The end of FAFSA filing is definitely something to celebrate! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

Dh and I realized today that since our youngest is graduating May 2022, this winter/spring we filled out FAFSA one.last.time.

💃🍨🍹📢🎶💐👏

I am rather looking forward to that day. Although, since mine is entering a dual BS/MAT, I'm guessing we'll be on the hook at least through the masters....

• Like 1

Just now, sassenach said:

I'm jealous. I've been filling out FAFSA for 4 years now for my own education, and now I'm transitioning into another 5 years ahead of me to get these kids through school. Definitely not thrilled about it.

Ugh! I am back in school part time - just six credits per semester - and paying out of pocket. FAFSA only gives my kids student loans. I used federal loans back into the day so am not eligible. No FAFSA for me!

Nice!  We kind of hit the jackpot this way because where my son ended up attending, he didn't qualify for FA but did get a large academic scholarship.  So we aren't required to fill out the fafsa yearly, we just needed to it once for that!   And luckily it is all generous enough, he will graduate debt free.   We got a couple years until younger will go.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Dh and I realized today that since our youngest is graduating May 2022, this winter/spring we filled out FAFSA one.last.time.

💃🍨🍹📢🎶💐👏

I'm a big proponent of cross-training parental and adult roles in a family. (seriously) I do not intend to be a widow who knows nothing about finances or car care, although I normally happily decline to be involved in the day-to-day minute details in those two areas.  Hubby really wasn't terribly interested in being involved in the details of homeschooling either. All fine and good.

I did ask him to fill out the FAFSA the final year, because at that point I was working, and he had more of the input numbers at his fingertips. The following year when I mentioned the joy of not having to do that in Jan/early Feb, he was appropriately appreciative, having been through it once.   

• Like 1

That is great! 

I filled out my 8th FAFSA this year. Probably have 8 more to go. I was very grumpy about it this year. Honestly I do not love the way my ds first choice school handles a lot of admissions/fa/scholarship stuff so I was pretty grumpy throughout. Ds got a pretty unimpressive offer but he still planned to attend. But then he was awarded a full ride scholarship just two weeks ago. So no loans and he even gets enough for books and misc expenses. I will have to fill out the FAFSA every year because one component of the scholarship is a small state scholarship that requires the FAFSA. But I will be much happier to fill it out in the future. My ds got that scholarship and all of a sudden my feelings about the school have taken a 180 turn. 🙂

Definitely no fun to fill it out when all you get is loans. 

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Kid spent hours this afternoon doing college and scholarship research. One last round of FAFSA. Hope this one finishes in 4 years (or less) like the siblings did. DH walked in on the research session and a look of panic  crossed his face...

”Did I miss a deadline?!!” 😯

Oh man, yes! Join the club. We need t-shirts for this.

We nearly, nearly missed the deadline for the oldest boy to apply to graduate. His adviser never mentioned it, never said anything. When dd graduated, her adviser was on top of it all, and we never even thought about it. I just happened to be on the parent discussion forum for his college and a parent mentioned that the deadline to apply was in four hours! Heart attack.

We have had two kids with good advisers, and two kids whose advisers should have had to pay us for doing their jobs!

10 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Nice!  We kind of hit the jackpot this way because where my son ended up attending, he didn't qualify for FA but did get a large academic scholarship.  So we aren't required to fill out the fafsa yearly, we just needed to it once for that!   And luckily it is all generous enough, he will graduate debt free.   We got a couple years until younger will go.  

Same here. But because he was accepted to lots of LACs, we had to do both the FAFSA and the Profile once. The Profile made the FAFSA look like a walk in the park.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Frances said:

Same here. But because he was accepted to lots of LACs, we had to do both the FAFSA and the Profile once. The Profile made the FAFSA look like a walk in the park.

Oh I get it. My kid applied to about a dozen schools, 10 required a profile. FAFSA definitely the easy part.   We expected him to end up at a private school, but his public came up with a really unexpected financial package.   Awful and ridiculous process!

The CSS profile or whatever it is called, is a financial colonoscopy without the benefit of sedation! 😁 

I am just so happy to be through all of this. One of the two graduates will be going on to grad school but he managed to snag a professor he really likes to help him navigate through that process and pick the best offer/school for him.

20 hours ago, FuzzyCatz said:

Oh, I am so jealous. DS gets no FA but has a full tuition scholarship but his school requires him to fill one out yearly. So does DD even though she won't be using Federal Aid either. 2 this year and both were kicked back to us asking for forms that we don't have all because our health insurance addendum (which had zero affect in our taxes) didn't show up on the IRS site or something. The IRS filed it under 2018 not 2019, though can clearly see on the Turbo Tax it was supposed to be applied to the right year  Arghhhhh