Menu

Recommend your favorite protein/meal bars

itsheresomewhere

I just started buying built bars, chewy inside and chocolate covered outside. It tastes like a candy bar when you leave them in the fridge. https://builtbar.com/collections/nut-free-built-bars/products/caramel-brownie-18-bar-box

I’m not sure if it’s enough protein, sure doesn’t make me full, but I treat it more like candy even though the sweetness comes from erythritol.

• Like 1

I like Quest bars, Costco bars (Kirkland), and Built Bars.  If you decide to order from Built, please pm me.  I don't know how it all works, but I think I can sign up as a current customer to give out a promo code and I would get something from that?  I see others doing that, but have never looked into it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crazyforlatin said:

I just started buying built bars, chewy inside and chocolate covered outside. It tastes like a candy bar when you leave them in the fridge. https://builtbar.com/collections/nut-free-built-bars/products/caramel-brownie-18-bar-box

I’m not sure if it’s enough protein, sure doesn’t make me full, but I treat it more like candy even though the sweetness comes from erythritol.

LOL, we were posting at the same time.  I keep mine in the fridge, too.  I find them filling.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

I will check those out.  My job is pretty physical and I need a little something during my break.  

• Like 1

My emergency meal option is Clif peanut butter bars. https://www.amazon.com/CLIF-BAR-Energy-Crunchy-Protein/dp/B0061WGN98

My body doesn’t like other protein bars. Chicory Root makes me unhappy. Faux chocolate makes me unhappy. Luna bars gave me unstable blood sugars.

My best advice is to go to a grocery store and get one of a few different bars and see how it goes. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I like Quest bars, Costco bars (Kirkland), and Built Bars.  If you decide to order from Built, please pm me.  I don't know how it all works, but I think I can sign up as a current customer to give out a promo code and I would get something from that?  I see others doing that, but have never looked into it.

What quest bar do you like? I tried the chocolate brownie but it tasted like dirt.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

My emergency meal option is Clif peanut butter bars. https://www.amazon.com/CLIF-BAR-Energy-Crunchy-Protein/dp/B0061WGN98

My body doesn’t like other protein bars. Chicory Root makes me unhappy. Faux chocolate makes me unhappy. Luna bars gave me unstable blood sugars.

My best advice is to go to a grocery store and get one of a few different bars and see how it goes. 

I tried on Cliff and it wasn’t bad.  I will have to pick up a few different ones. I have been buying quite a few different ones.  Chicory root is something I can’t have more than once a week.  

55 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

What flavors have you had so far? I’ve tried caramel brownie and apple almond, which I love because I prefer some nuts or texture in the bars.

I've had quite a few.  I like caramel brownie, double chocolate mousse, peanut butter, and coconut almond the best so far.  I really stocked up at their cybermonday sale and have a lot of flavors to try still!  I don't care for the banana ones (not a big fan of banana) and their mint brownie is a bit too minty for me since I don't like a lot of mint.  Orange and salted caramel were okay, but those aren't flavors I generally like that much anyway.   I'm looking forward to trying the cherry garcia since it got really good reviews.  I also had cookies and cream, which was good.  

53 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

What quest bar do you like? I tried the chocolate brownie but it tasted like dirt.  

Chocolate brownie is the only one I don't care for that I've tried.  I really like their chocolate doughnut, birthday cake, double chocolate chunk, and caramel chocolate chunk.  Their cookie dough is really good - probably their best seller.  Oh, cookies and cream is really good, too.  I also like chocolate peanut butter smash and s'mores, but not as much as the others.  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 2

How many bars do you eat a day?!? Lol

I’m going to put that on the list for next purchase, coconut almond. I think I missed a sale earlier this week but I had just received the apple almond and didn’t want to order another box. One thing great about them is that arrival is fast, maybe within 2 days of purchase.

1 hour ago, crazyforlatin said:

How many bars do you eat a day?!? Lol

I’m going to put that on the list for next purchase, coconut almond. I think I missed a sale earlier this week but I had just received the apple almond and didn’t want to order another box. One thing great about them is that arrival is fast, maybe within 2 days of purchase.

I eat two a day, but want more!  😛

The coconut almond tastes like a mounds bar - I liked it more than I expected.  

I just became an "ambassador" and have a promo code for 10% off if you want that.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

I’ll take the  code! 

MOREBARS  

Let me know how you like the coconut if you try it!  

go through Rakuten if you have it - you'll earn 7 percent cash back.  If you don't, let me know and I'll refer you and we'll both earn twenty dollars.  

Edited by Kassia
  • Thanks 1

Kirkland bars are low sugar, high protein, but you have to like stevia. The rest of my family swears by them, but I don't like stevia, and they leave a weird aftertaste to me. Son also really likes the Quest bars, especially Birthday Cake. 

Edited by livetoread

13 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

I thought of two more that I've had (sorry if I'm beating a dead horse)

Chocolate Hazelnut - this was disappointing to me.  I'd put it above chocolate brownie, but prefer the other flavors.

Mint chocolate chunk (I don't know if they still make this one) - pleasantly surprised with this one since I generally don't like mint very much.  I really liked it.  I think that's what it's called - it's like a mint oreo.

I like to put most of them in the microwave for 10-12 seconds so they are warm and gooey, but not the birthday cake or chocolate frosted doughnut because of the frosting coating.

12 hours ago, livetoread said:

Kirkland bars are low sugar, high protein, but you have to like stevia. The rest of my family swears by them, but I don't like stevia, and they leave a weird aftertaste to me. 

These intrigue me, as I love stevia and prefer it to other sweeteners.  Looks like they're only available at Costco, though?  May have to get my dd with a membership to pick some up for me.  What flavors are there?

I've been eating Think Thin bars for quite a while - the high protein (20g) kind, they have come out with another line.  I only ever eat the chunky peanut butter flavor, though, as the other flavors are all too sweet for me (even if it's not sugar making it sweet).  I use them as quick meal replacements rather than snacks.  I actually don't want my protein bar to taste like cookies or brownies.

Edited by Matryoshka

11 hours ago, Seasider too said:

I like these, but I like the clean turkey and beef chomps sticks from trader Joe better. We like them for a quick grab and go protein with a piece of fruit when we might otherwise skip breakfast. 

OP for something other than chocolate, I think the lemon Luna bars might fit your need. I personally like Rx bars because of few ingredients and chewiness that satisfies, but I think most if not all flavors contain almonds. You might want to check though because some may have peanuts instead. 

Thanks.  I haven’t found an RX bar that doesn’t contain almonds yet.  I did try a Luna bar this week and it was ok.  I could tolerate it.   I am not a lemon fan but will check out more of the brand. 

3 hours ago, Kassia said:

I thought of two more that I've had (sorry if I'm beating a dead horse)

Chocolate Hazelnut - this was disappointing to me.  I'd put it above chocolate brownie, but prefer the other flavors.

Mint chocolate chunk (I don't know if they still make this one) - pleasantly surprised with this one since I generally don't like mint very much.  I really liked it.  I think that's what it's called - it's like a mint oreo.

I like to put most of them in the microwave for 10-12 seconds so they are warm and gooey, but not the birthday cake or chocolate frosted doughnut because of the frosting coating.

Thanks.  I actually hate hazelnuts.  I might try the doughnut one.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

These intrigue me, as I love stevia and prefer it to other sweeteners.  Looks like they're only available at Costco, though?  May have to get my dd with a membership to pick some up for me.  What flavors are there?

Amazon sells them too, but they are more expensive than Costco.  My son is a Costco member and I can order online using his account and have them shipped for free.  I think they might be a little more expensive that way than buying in the store, but not much.  They come in cookies and cream, chocolate peanut butter chunk, cookie dough, and chocolate brownie.  I've only had the cookie dough and chocolate brownie.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kassia said:

Amazon sells them too, but they are more expensive than Costco.  My son is a Costco member and I can order online using his account and have them shipped for free.  I think they might be a little more expensive that way than buying in the store, but not much.  They come in cookies and cream, chocolate peanut butter chunk, cookie dough, and chocolate brownie.  I've only had the cookie dough and chocolate brownie.  

Hmmm, may have dd pick me up a box of the chocolate peanut butter chunk...  peanut butter seems to cut down on the too-sweet factor...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matryoshka said:

Hmmm, may have dd pick me up a box of the chocolate peanut butter chunk...  peanut butter seems to cut down on the too-sweet factor...

I'd be all over that flavor.  Chocolate/peanut butter combo is my favorite and I can't resist!  

16 hours ago, Toocrazy!! said:

Thank you!  I haven't heard of these before but they look much better than the typical protein bar.  I agree the ingredients are well worth the price.   I can't wait to try them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ditto said:

Thank you!  I haven't heard of these before but they look much better than the typical protein bar.  I agree the ingredients are well worth the price.   I can't wait to try them.

I hope you like them! I’ve been ordering them for a few years now and have always been satisfied. Now I just order the dark chocolate coconut. So I can’t vouch for any other flavors. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, HSmomof2 said:

I just had one of the Built Puffs vanilla marshmallow bar.....it was really good! Kind of like a Charleston Chew or one of those marshmallow covered chocolate rabbits out at Easter. 

I've been wanting to try the Puffs!  Glad you liked it.  I really like the consistency of the regular ones in the refrigerator and didn't know if I'd like the Puffs, but they sound wonderful!  

• Like 1