Menu

Dr Hive: My ridiculous foot injury / stepped on a toy

Katy

This morning I stepped on a little metal truck - like a matchbox car thing, but a bit bigger.  Hours have passed and I'm still having a slowly throbbing pain in my foot. It's maybe a tiny bit swollen, but only when compared to the bottom of my other foot.  Anything I can do to magically make it feel rapidly better?  I need to stand for my to-do list, not sit around with my foot elevated.

• Sad 5

6 hours ago, Katy said:

This morning I stepped on a little metal truck - like a matchbox car thing, but a bit bigger.  Hours have passed and I'm still having a slowly throbbing pain in my foot. It's maybe a tiny bit swollen, but only when compared to the bottom of my other foot.  Anything I can do to magically make it feel rapidly better?  I need to stand for my to-do list, not sit around with my foot elevated.

You can get better quickly OR stand up. Probably not both. The best first aid for your injury is RICE = rest, ice (as long as you can tolerate it), compression, elevation. Ibuprofen if you can tolerate it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

I am sorry you are not feeling better.  We have stepped on so many toys.  I swear moms should wear steel toed boots indoors all the time.  🙂

I’m usually pretty good at not stepping on them, but this one slid under my foot when I was stepping backwards over a baby gate carrying breakfast. I think the main problem was that I stepped on something else using the same foot last week and the bruise hadn’t totally healed. It’s not throbbing anymore, but it still aches more than it did when I severed my ACL and my knee swelled 10 centimeters. It’s the strangest thing to me that it hurts so much. 

• Sad 3

16 hours ago, Katy said:

I’m usually pretty good at not stepping on them, but this one slid under my foot when I was stepping backwards over a baby gate carrying breakfast. I think the main problem was that I stepped on something else using the same foot last week and the bruise hadn’t totally healed. It’s not throbbing anymore, but it still aches more than it did when I severed my ACL and my knee swelled 10 centimeters. It’s the strangest thing to me that it hurts so much. 

I’m so sorry.

I’ve both sprained and broken my foot by stepping on... the ground. The sprain was on slightly uneven ground, and the break was from completely normal ground.

Is the foot also on the same leg as the ACL injury? I’m convinced the severity of my two big injuries were due to having so many (though lesser) injuries to that one dang leg over the years! (My knees and ankles are atrocious.)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’m so sorry.

I’ve both sprained and broken my foot by stepping on... the ground. The sprain was on slightly uneven ground, and the break was from completely normal ground.

Is the foot also on the same leg as the ACL injury? I’m convinced the severity of my two big injuries were due to having so many (though lesser) injuries to that one dang leg over the years! (My knees and ankles are atrocious.)

Yes, same side!  Almost all of my knee, leg, and foot injuries have been on that side. Down to skinned knees as a child. 

23 minutes ago, Katy said:

Yes, same side!  Almost all of my knee, leg, and foot injuries have been on that side. Down to skinned knees as a child. 

Mmhmm. If it doesn’t improve relatively quickly, I’d try to get that checked out. The silliest injuries have a way about them!

• Like 1

If it doesn't go down in reasonable time, I would get it checked. Definitely stay off it. I have a friend, a not too scientificy friend, who says they "bent a bone" when they stepped on an object. Now that makes no sense to me, but that's what they say. And the worst part is, 10 years later that foot STILL gives them problems.

So this is not the time to think short term. If it's not clearing up, get it checked and get whatever care can be done. 

Maybe this therapy will help? :biggrin: (I'm being a little light here. Sorry your foot hurts!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOODigTjQ20

• Haha 1

If you twist your ankle you expect to feel some pain. My latest 'injury' if from breathing too deeply when I was trying some relaxation Qigong. Some of the little muscles between my ribs got strained, I think, and it's incredibly painful. Stupidest injury of my life! 😂

• Like 2

On 1/6/2021 at 2:03 PM, PeterPan said:

If it doesn't go down in reasonable time, I would get it checked. Definitely stay off it. I have a friend, a not too scientificy friend, who says they "bent a bone" when they stepped on an object. Now that makes no sense to me, but that's what they say. And the worst part is, 10 years later that foot STILL gives them problems.

So this is not the time to think short term. If it's not clearing up, get it checked and get whatever care can be done. 

Maybe this therapy will help? :biggrin: (I'm being a little light here. Sorry your foot hurts!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOODigTjQ20

I shut my finger in a door last year and the doctor told me it was bent. Strangest thing I had ever heard. Treatment was the same as a break(cast etc). She said that the bone had almost broken but only "bent"

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, busymama7 said:

I shut my finger in a door last year and the doctor told me it was bent. Strangest thing I had ever heard. Treatment was the same as a break(cast etc). She said that the bone had almost broken but only "bent"

Thank you for explaining that! And I think the trouble with the foot was it's harder to immobilize and heal, sigh. Well interesting, now I have an explanation.

14 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

So do you have an update? Did it improve?

Yes, the pain is way down. It still aches if I stand too long, but is otherwise much better. No more worries about apologetically visiting the ER with concerns about a blood clot or compartment syndrome or something ridiculous like that. 

• Like 4

When my son was two I was sitting on the floor with my legs bent but flat on the floor. Ds stepped in between my calf and thigh and then fell back on my foot.  Within an hour I could not deploy the clutch on my standard without excruciating pain.  It took well over a year to heal.  

So so sorry 💕💕

• Sad 3