Menu

Rage Quitting

Amy in NH

Not in a rage, but there was a time when I had to quit multiple nonprofit boards, because they wouldn't consider my constraints as a single mom of tots.  It was a tough decision, but I don't think I regretted it afterward.  🙂

I quit a job once when things kinda boiled over in my mind.  It was the job or my health/sanity.  I think I chose well.  😛

• Like 2

Yes.

I have been on a purge cycle. Quit my church. Quit a good chunk of friends. Quit some very unfulfilling things. 

Life is short and I don’t have time to waste my energy and time with things that conflict with my sense of integrity or purpose. I am done telling myself to be quiet and lay low in order to go with the flow. I am tired of supporting institutions that tear down rather than build up. Just done.

• Like 1

Fwiw, many of my friends have been in a similar boat. If you are also going through menopause, be aware that hormonal change can trigger depression which some people feel as anger and irritability rather than deep sadness or lethargy.

For me, though, I just needed to be done with the asshats in my life. 😂 No depression involved.

• Haha 2

Reminds of the Anne Taintor sign  - "Stop me before I volunteer again"

The few times I've been mad enough to quit something, it's because I'm mad at myself for putting up with crap for so long. And the no one listening. 

There are a few things I was involved in for a long period of time, then realized after I quit that I was appreciated for my availability more than my ability. I can't get those years back. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, klmama said:

Sorry things are so frustrating.  

FWIW, I read your post title as "rage quilting" and wondered what kind of quilt one would make while angry.  Maybe that could be a new hobby?  😄

Lots of stabby-stabby with the quilting needle might help with feelings of rage?

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Amy in NH said:

I just have no tolerance anymore for people and their ridiculous crap. 

Over the past three years I've been rage quitting everything - all of the advocacy and volunteer work I've invested myself in for the past 20 years.

It must be time for a change. 

Anyone else?

Er, yes. I have finally worn myself out of a 2-3 year long "burn it all to the ground" campaign.  It was ugly, but...I kind of don't regret it. 

1 hour ago, elegantlion said:

The few times I've been mad enough to quit something, it's because I'm mad at myself for putting up with crap for so long. And the no one listening. 

There are a few things I was involved in for a long period of time, then realized after I quit that I was appreciated for my availability more than my ability. I can't get those years back. 

Amen to this.  I spent way too much of my life stuffing my feelings down and settling for things I did not want. I felt used and manipulated, and it burst out as rage quitting of a lot of things (relationships, clubs, etc).  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, elegantlion said:

I was appreciated for my availability more than my ability. 

While many worthwhile activities need availability as much as specific abilities, it’s much more fulfilling to do something that we’re good at. I appreciate this statement so much.

I hope things improve. I think I am past rage, but am going to be quitting some things that are on hold because of this pandemic. 

• Like 1