Menu

Does anybody own Peleton?

Roadrunner

My family wants to buy me “whatever I want” for a birthday. So I have been thinking, as much as I hate exercising, when I go to the gym, I feel better. Now with this pandemic, I wonder if asking for a Peleton is a good idea. If you own one, do you think it’s worth a price? If so, do you think a new model is worth an extra $$$? 

• Like 2

I ride on an inexpensive spin bike from Amazon but use the Peloton app. I love it! In an ideal world, I’ve love a Peloton but I’ve been able to put together my own DIY Peleton + heart rate monitor + cadence monitor for less than $400. The app is really fun with a ton of variety, and it’s not just all spin classes — there are also cardio workouts, strength workouts, indoor and outdoor runs, stretching, yoga, Pilates. New classes are added almost every day. I have a very long bookmarked list of workouts to do and I look forward to it every day.

Just as a word of warning, there are many complaints about Peloton’s LONG delivery times and poor communication on their bikes and treadmills. I have seen over and over people expecting delivery of a bike on a certain day and time only to find out later in the day that their bike won’t arrive for another several weeks — or months. It seems to vary regionally. There is even a FB group with 2000+ members to discuss this widespread issue. In addition to the low-cost brands like Sunny and Pyhigh, there are higher-end alternatives that you can use with the Peloton app if you don’t want to risk the Peloton logistics mess — look into Schwinn, Keiser, Echelon, Proform. 

Edited by Gobblygook
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Wow! I didn’t know that. Any advantage at getting it at Costco?

I’m fairly certain that it’s the Echelon brand that is available at Costco. I have seen it advertised and my daughter reported seeing it there. Peloton seems to only sell direct, not through resellers. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

My family wants to buy me “whatever I want” for a birthday. So I have been thinking, as much as I hate exercising, when I go to the gym, I feel better. Now with this pandemic, I wonder if asking for a Peleton is a good idea. If you own one, do you think it’s worth a price? If so, do you think a new model is worth an extra $$$? 

Your family is sweet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gobblygook said:

I ride on an inexpensive spin bike from Amazon but use the Peloton app. I love it! In an ideal world, I’ve love a Peloton but I’ve been able to put together my own DIY Peleton + heart rate monitor + cadence monitor for less than $400. The app is really fun with a ton of variety, and it’s not just all spin classes — there are also cardio workouts, strength workouts, indoor and outdoor runs, stretching, yoga, Pilates. New classes are added almost every day. I have a very long bookmarked list of workouts to do and I look forward to it every day.

Just as a word of warning, there are many complaints about Peloton’s LONG delivery times and poor communication on their bikes and treadmills. I have seen over and over people expecting delivery of a bike on a certain day and time only to find out later in the day that their bike won’t arrive for another several weeks — or months. It seems to vary regionally. There is even a FB group with 2000+ members to discuss this widespread issue. In addition to the low-cost brands like Sunny and Pyhigh, there are higher-end alternatives that you can use with the Peloton app if you don’t want to risk the Peloton logistics mess — look into Schwinn, Keiser, Echelon, Proform. 

Do you know if it is possible to set up a DIY Peloton with a regular bike on a trainer?  I'd love to take advantage of the Peloton app without the huge expense of the bike.

14 minutes ago, jen3kids said:

Do you know if it is possible to set up a DIY Peloton with a regular bike on a trainer?  I'd love to take advantage of the Peloton app without the huge expense of the bike.

I don’t think it would work very well. On a spin bike, you can control resistance and simulate hills, flat roads and declines by changing the resistance. The coaches call out when you should increase or decrease your resistance and cadence. I haven’t used a trainer, but I am not sure you can do that on a regular bike on a trainer.  

6 minutes ago, Gobblygook said:

I don’t think it would work very well. On a spin bike, you can control resistance and simulate hills, flat roads and declines by changing the resistance. The coaches call out when you should increase or decrease your resistance and cadence. I haven’t used a trainer, but I am not sure you can do that on a regular bike on a trainer.  

Darn it - I get so bored just riding inside with the trainer.  Oh well, II guess I'll keep my opens for a used spin bike!

Thanks for the info!

3 hours ago, Gobblygook said:

I’m fairly certain that it’s the Echelon brand that is available at Costco. I have seen it advertised and my daughter reported seeing it there. Peloton seems to only sell direct, not through resellers. 

it is, I just looked at it the other day at Costco.

10 hours ago, jen3kids said:

Yes.

10 hours ago, Gobblygook said:

Smart trainers allow for all those things. My DH uses Zwift to simulate actual rides (you virtually ride with other people around the world who are using it in real time) and the trainer automatically adjusts resistance for hills, road surfaces, etc. 

Smart trainers like the Wahoo Kickr should work just fine with the Peleton app. 

Youtube is filled with people explaining how to use the Peleton app with a cheap bike.
Speaking VERY gently from experience, but exercise equipment can be a complicated purchase.
My dh has indeed used his nice rowing machine for 20 years . . . thankfully.
But trying out a used bike first would be a cheap first step.

Here's a previous WTM thread about it, from a happy buyer =

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Gobblygook said:

Don't mean to thread-steal, but I have an indoor bike and want to get the Peloton app like you're doing. What do you actually watch the Peloton videos on? I have an ipod, but it's tiny. My kids have Fire notebook. What do you recommend?

Wendy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MEmama said:

Yes.

Smart trainers allow for all those things. My DH uses Zwift to simulate actual rides (you virtually ride with other people around the world who are using it in real time) and the trainer automatically adjusts resistance for hills, road surfaces, etc. 

Smart trainers like the Wahoo Kickr should work just fine with the Peleton app. 

My husband has done this too.  I should have realized it was the same for the Peloton app.  We don't have a smart trainer; just a regular stand, so he  added some sort of cadence thingy to it to help with it, but it still doesn't adjust for hills or terrain.    

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alicia64 said:

Don't mean to thread-steal, but I have an indoor bike and want to get the Peloton app like you're doing. What do you actually watch the Peloton videos on? I have an ipod, but it's tiny. My kids have Fire notebook. What do you recommend?

Wendy

I usually bring my bike out into the living room and use our big TV but occasionally just use my iPad. I use my iPhone for the Wahoo app which shows my heart rate and cadence. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gobblygook said:

Wow, that is really neat that you did that.  

On 12/26/2020 at 5:25 AM, Beth S said:

Youtube is filled with people explaining how to use the Peleton app with a cheap bike.
Speaking VERY gently from experience, but exercise equipment can be a complicated purchase.
My dh has indeed used his nice rowing machine for 20 years . . . thankfully.
But trying out a used bike first would be a cheap first step.

Here's a previous WTM thread about it, from a happy buyer =

Yes! That was my post!  I ended up ordering the Peloton on October 30 and ended up getting it on Nov. 17th.  I ordered the original not the bike+. When I ordered it was said it would take 8-10 weeks to deliver so I was pleasantly surprised how fast it came. 

I am really glad I bought it because DH and I have both are regularly using it. I rode every day the first three weeks and now am riding 4-5 days a week  and DH is riding 3-4 times. I was hoping my 11 and 14 year old sons would ride but after the first week they both lost interest. So far I have just taken cycling classes but I am hoping to start casting it onto our TV and to take strength and Pilates classes.  It was what I needed to get motivated to exercise. I have found the classes to be enjoyable and there are a variety of classes and instructors. DH has an instructor he really likes (Sam) so usually takes his classes, while I have been mixing it up. Last week I did two Holiday rides, a Beatles themed ride and a powerzone ride all with different instructors.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Like one of the above posters, I bought a less-expensive bike on amazon, added a device holder, and now I ride several times a week using the Peloton app (which is considerably cheaper if you subscribe without connecting it to a Peloton bike) on my iPad. I have been very pleasantly surprised about how great a setup it's turned out to be!  I am sure that a more expensive bike would be quieter, and it would be nice to have what I'm guessing is a more fine-grained resistance knob on the high-end bikes, but what I have is working very well. 

The app is really good.  I had my doubts about riding along to an imaginary class, but the teachers are great and the classes are so well-designed.  DH has also been using the app to do floor/strength workouts, so we're getting our money's worth out of it.