Menu

Tests (competitive and standardized)

How many tests do your kids do in a year? Ds is 8 and last year we did the CAT test for the first time. And he was supposed to do Math Kangaroo but everything shut down the day of the exam so he never did it. 

This year I signed him up for the Mythology Exam, Math Kangaroo, and CAT. Is this too much for a year? We don't do any tests with our curriculum. And I figure learning how to take tests is a good skill. He is really excited for the Mythology one. I don't need to do a standardized test, but we move internationally a lot so it is nice to have something that shows growth, and helps me be sure we are hitting all the things we should. And he likes math and does well, so I figure the Kangaroo test would be a great way to push him a little, and we can take it in other countries too. 

What tests do your kids do? 

How many is too many? 

I would say that if your son is excited then it's not too many.  My kids started doing state-required standardized tests once/year at some point during elementary.  It usually took 3 mornings and it was never stressful.  Somewhere around 4th/5th, they started competing with the middle school Science Olympiad team.  For that, they spent several hours a week taking practice tests in Dec-March and then had 1-2 invitationals, Regionals, and hopefully State (and even Nationals for 2 years in middle school) tests, which are all-day events where you take 2-6 1 hr tests.  They love it.  But, my kids also value their time so they've been adamant about NOT doing other test-taking competitions, which is fine with me.  

The standardized tests are basic skills tests, and while I don't find them to be too informative (the kids do about how I'd expect) they are not a big deal at our house.  If he enjoys them, I can't imagine that 2 other tests over the course of a year would be an issue.  If your student has test anxiety then I wouldn't do it, or maybe I'd have them take tests with the specific goal of desensitizing, but I can't imagine why it would be an issue for a student who is happily doing it.  

• Like 2

Elementary:  MOEMS, MathKangaroo, 

MIddle: MOEMS, Math Kangaroo, MathCounts, AMC 8

High School: AMC 10/12, ARML

I required all these exams except ARML which dd did because she had a friend participating.  We did a little prep for the AMCs and MK, but not much.  The MOEMS were more of an activity.  I prepped them in place of our regular math curriculum on Wednesdays.  

• Like 2

DD did NME, ELE, NLVE, NLE, and NCLE in elementary and middle, as well as Continental Math League, National Science League,National Language arts League, Math Kangaroo, National Number Knockout, TriMathlon, regional elementary Spelling bee,regional elementary Science fair, World Education games, American Math Challenge, and a UK key stage 3 chemistry challenge that she signed up for online and I only found out when a very puzzled registrar messaged because they couldn't find her school in their database (they added her to a group of British homeschoolers and let her do it). She did a lot of competitions in elementary school, and phased them out as she got older and started working on longer projects and taking college classes (and also was no longer eligible for many because she was taking college classes), so her high school resume is more conferences than competitions. 

I would say if your child enjoys them, go for it. DD really didn't prep for the exam ones-she mostly went in, did the competition, had fun, and usually got something to add to her collection. 

• Like 2

competitive tests = 0

standardized tests:
grades 4-8 = Iowa Basic, once in each of those grades
grade 11 = PSAT -- once in 11th grade (the year score can count towards Nat'l Merit scholarships)
grade 11/12 = 1 each: ACT and SAT (for college admissions/scholarships)

Neither DS was interested in competitive academic groups, and neither was a highly self-motivated/driven student or highly advanced.

Standardized tests before high school are merely a tool to help the parent-teacher see where there might be gaps -- or for families required by their state to test. And high school standardized test scores are a hoop to jump for college admission and the awarding of scholarships.

All that to say, YMMV about how many tests a family needs/wants. 😉 

• Like 2

I think how many tests  and contests are too many is going to vary tremendously kid to kid.  We do Math Kangaroo, NME, and regional spelling bee. Started in grade 4. No standardized tests.  It's just right for us - any more would be too much for my kids. 

• Like 2

primary school: No standardized tests or competitive tests. Grade 1 - 8

secondary school: standardized tests: older boy SAT, SAT2 math and physics.  Competitive tests: 20 math olympiads over 4 years (BMO, BMO2, AMO, APMO, IMO). Younger boy, none.

We have high school national exams here. So each of my boys have done 20 national assessments/exams in their high school career that earn them a diploma. Older boy did this over 3 years, younger boy got it done in 1 year.

• Like 2

None.  But the tests you do aren't available here.  There are a couple that homes school students can do but it seems a lot of effort for minimal or no value.  da will do exams in his last 3 years of high school.  I also may get him to do the tests for the extension programme at high school ds13 is in even though I can't see him doing the programme.

Edited by kiwik

We have done a competitive math test twice, just for fun. I self administered a standardized test once, with lots of donuts, for solidarity with an anxious friend (all our kids aced it).

That's it. They may do some sort of SAT type test in 11th ish, depending on their future plans, though it probably won't be necessary (because they'll have enough university credits for acceptance without the test)

• Like 1

We do an annual standardized test because it's required for homeschoolers here.

13 year old D.S. really likes math competitions, so he has done pretty much everything I could find for him to do - I think that was five different competitions last year and a similar number last year. 

11 year old D.S. wanted to try mathcounts this year but specifically asked me to NOT sign him up for any others.  One competition was plenty for him. 

Oldest and youngest kids have had no interest in academic competitions. Youngest might be more interested by middle school though, perhaps. 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2020 at 5:25 PM, LMD said:

That's it. They may do some sort of SAT type test in 11th ish, depending on their future plans, though it probably won't be necessary (because they'll have enough university credits for acceptance without the test)

Could you explain how that works? Would they apply as transfer students to university? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHLWTM said:

Could you explain how that works? Would they apply as transfer students to university? 

Probably depends on the state system. Here you don't have to take the SAT if you get an AA/AS with a certain GPA if you apply as a transfer; not sure there's any guaranteed acceptance or no test option for less than that.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, JHLWTM said:

I'm in Australia, so probably not relevant! But here, we have an online Open University where you can study individual subjects offered by regular universities with no prerequisites. If you pass 4 subjects in a degree stream (sometimes more/less depending on the degree) then you are automatically accepted into the degree. Kind of a reverse acceptance if that makes sense. Lots of people start this way then transfer for their 2nd/3rd year. I know homeschoolers who have gone on to med school, engineering & science etc degrees this way.

I said maybe SAT because there are sessions here and some universities accept it as part of an admission application. It could potentially be a helpful piece of paper to have. Depending on what my kids want to do.

• Like 1

Too many is however many stresses you or your kid out.

We do standardized testing every year. None of my kids are interested in competitions.

-- MAP testing 2-3x per year for all the kids. 
-- PSAT each fall for the last two years, which I plan to continue. This is just for DS#1 and DS#3 because they're beyond algebra 1. I'll add in DS#2 when he gets to that point as well.