Menu

Carl Azuz from CNN10 homeschools?

staceyobu

He's been filming recent episodes from what I assume is his home. Today the bookshelf he was in front of clearly has a Sonlight binder and the CLE readers. I had questioned previously if the big blue binder was a Sonlight binder, but today was the first time I could actualy read the name!

• Like 6

That's quite interesting. I teach 7th grade and my students love CNN10. I've seen posts in a few Facebook teacher groups lately of people asking for alternatives because parents have complained about their students watching CNN (aka 'liberal' news). CNN10 has always been extremely unbiased in my opinion. So now knowing what curriculum he uses... kind of makes sense!

• Like 4

We love Carl! I've only seen slant a couple of times in the 5+ years watching CNN10 (previously CNN Student News?). And when I saw it, it wasn't egregious, only slight. It isn't like their main page at all (from the position of a conservative libertarian).

The idea his family homeschools is fascinating.

• Like 3

We enjoyed CNN10 a lot, and watched it for several years--from when we discovered it (and I wish we'd discovered it sooner) until one graduated and one went to ps. I, too, found it much more balanced than other news sources, and was pleased at the coverage. It was a great current events addition to our homeschooling years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cabercro said:

That's quite interesting. I teach 7th grade and my students love CNN10. I've seen posts in a few Facebook teacher groups lately of people asking for alternatives because parents have complained about their students watching CNN (aka 'liberal' news). CNN10 has always been extremely unbiased in my opinion. So now knowing what curriculum he uses... kind of makes sense!

That’s funny, because we stopped watched it when it changed to cnn10.  I forget what the old format was called,  but my kids and I watched that one every day. It was great.  However, CNN10 had a completely different vibe.   We stopped watching it within a couple weeks. I don’t know if it was bias or what, but it was a huge turnoff.  

• 2 weeks later...