Menu

What interesting thing have you recently learned?

Kareni

Today I learned that in Tudor times there was a color called Dead Spaniard!

I saw mention of this in a comment on the Word Wenches site in a blog post by author Joanna Bourne. Here's a link to the post ~ A Colorful Regency

You can see a list of Tudor era colors here ~ Color in Elizabethan Dress

And here's a visual representation.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

I saw mention of this in a comment on the Word Wenches site in a blog post by author Joanna Bourne. Here's a link to the post ~ A Colorful Regency

Regards,

Kareni

Gooseturd green and puke are the winners for me! 🤣. And, thanks to you, @Kareni , I have learned something interesting today. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I learned that the ex-slaves in Haiti had to pay back their masters for their value after they revolted and set up a free state. Yes, the ex-slaves were required to pay their masters, or France would invade! And it took 125 years to pay off the debt!!!!!  The value they had to pay back represented between 3 and 10 years of their GDP, plus a ton of interest and service fees.  

Edited by lewelma
  • Sad 10

My son learned and told me that Boliva has two Capital cities and that there are several other countries that do, too. (From his Spanish class, he is taking some classes at local high school and some classes homeschooled.  Local high school is currently virtual but going back in a month if cases stay low, K-2 and Special Ed going back next week.)

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Kareni said:

Regards,

Kareni

I know about the colour Bristol Red. I went to this school

https://www.redmaidshigh.co.uk/about-us-a-brief-history.aspx

I just learned that there are many more blood types than I  knew, some very rare and interesting:

Eta right link

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2726-6

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

I learned today during the kids' botany lesson that there are over 25,000 species of orchids, which is more than there are species of mammals! And the seeds are generally microscopic. 

Oh, and that you can use tulip bulbs - which are native to Turkey, not Holland - as an onion substitute, and that saffron comes from crocuses. 

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 6

I did learn something today! I learned about the early history of life insurance. Did you know that life insurance (purportedly? I haven’t actually researched this, but it’s in this nonfiction audiobook I’m listening to. . . ) actually had its beginnings as fire insurance in Europe? People would belong to a “club” (can’t think of a better word. . .) that would guarantee them the help of a fire brigade should they ever need it.  Only homes bearing the official plaque of the fire brigade would receive attention in the event of fire. 

(Yes, I love parentheses. 😏)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I learned today during the kids' botany lesson that there are over 25,000 species of orchids, which is more than there are species of mammals! And the seeds are generally microscopic. 

Wow! 

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Oh, and that you can use tulip bulbs - which are native to Turkey, not Holland - as an onion substitute,

With caution:

http://alloveralbany.com/archive/2008/05/09/tulips-really-are-edible-sort-of

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Alexander the Great conquered the unconquerable city of Tyre by turning the island into a peninsula, by forcing people to build a kilometer long land bridge by hand, while under fire from Tyre's navy and lots of arrows.  

And it took about 11 months to build that land bridge out there -- and it still exists today!

What I learned recently: DH and I recently watched 2 fascinating multi-part documentaries:

- High Score - 6 episodes, the early history of video games (arcade, to home console, to computer, to interactive gaming)
- Chef's Table: BBQ - 4 episodes, each on a very different chef and their technique of cooking over wood coals and fire

From the first, I learned that PacMan was developed as a marketing strategy to expand the arcade game market demographics to women -- rather than "shooting" (Asteroids and Space Invaders) PacMan was about "eating", which they thought would be more appealing and less aggressive... 😧  [Also noting that one of my new learning moments overlaps with poster above! 😄 ]

From the second, I learned that you can flash-cook salad in a special metal mesh basket over flames to bring out flavor!

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1