Menu

16 year old just got hired!

DawnM

He took it upon himself to fill out the application, call the place, and get the job!   I am very proud of him. 

He will be working at a family owned and operated nicer-end pizza restaurant, behind the counter as a cashier.   He will be making $10/hour.

I am honestly surprised it was that easy for him to get a job during Covid and with the economy the way it is right now.

• Like 24

Awesome! My son just turned 16 and got his license so he is job hunting next week. He's seen many jobs posted online in department stores and various food places, he's trying to decide where all he wants to try for.

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

Good for him. 👍

Everyone seems to be hiring around here, there aren’t enough workers. My DS worked today in the ultimate socially distanced job: raking blueberries to help out a friend during the height of season. It was a good opportunity to earn some cash during this season when normally he would be lifeguarding full time.

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DawnM said:

He took it upon himself to fill out the application, call the place, and get the job!   I am very proud of him. 

He will be working at a family owned and operated nicer-end pizza restaurant, behind the counter as a cashier.   He will be making $10/hour.

I am honestly surprised it was that easy for him to get a job during Covid and with the economy the way it is right now.

I was surprised, too, my daughter's job stopped for a few weeks during the shutdown but has been back for a while, she has a ton of friends age 16 to 20 with little to no job experience that were able to get a variety of jobs easily this summer, I wasn't expecting that, especially the latest 2 brothers, their mom only allowed them to start looking for work a few weeks ago because of Covid fears (ironically, it's actually worse here now than earlier in the summer.)

My son is taking a Drivers Ed class through a private company, daughter went through the public school; school is cheaper but private continued, program through school shut down. Many of their older instructors either retired or took a break, they hired a bunch of 21+ aged college students. (Have to be 21+ to monitor a young driver) There are still a few older instructors, you have to wear a mask in the car for all drives.

Edited by ElizabethB

3 hours ago, soror said:

Awesome! My son just turned 16 and got his license so he is job hunting next week. He's seen many jobs posted online in department stores and various food places, he's trying to decide where all he wants to try for.

My son's applications were based solely on where his friends worked!  But, that's good, since he had already heard good things about the places he decided to look.  But he ended up only applying to one and got it, so I am glad.

• Like 2

Congrats to your son!!!  My daughter has been working at a pizza/sit down Italian restaurant this summer. She comes home smelling very strongly of pizza and garlic.  It was her first application when she got home from college earlier this summer  - I thought she would have a hard time finding a job, but that was not the case - she was hired on the spot. 

She has not loved the job, but she has learned a lot, and earned some money - she is always delighted by the tips!!  She is counting down the days until she heads back to school 🙂.  Her younger brother will apply to work there later this fall...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WendyLady said:

Congrats to your son!!!  My daughter has been working at a pizza/sit down Italian restaurant this summer. She comes home smelling very strongly of pizza and garlic.  It was her first application when she got home from college earlier this summer  - I thought she would have a hard time finding a job, but that was not the case - she was hired on the spot. 

She has not loved the job,

Oh NO!

but she has learned a lot, and earned some money - she is always delighted by the tips!!  She is counting down the days until she heads back to school 🙂.  Her younger brother will apply to work there later this fall...

I hope he enjoys it, we will see!

51 minutes ago, DawnM said:

I hope he enjoys it, we will see!

I think he will!  His friends work there and they like it enough to tell him to apply - it must not be bad! 

My dd has had a difficult manager and some "mean girl" stuff that I don't think will be an issue for my son.  We have heard that the manager will be leaving soon as well.  

• Like 1