Menu

Face shields for those can’t wear masks

Toocrazy!!

It looks like that there isn’t any research on face shield vs. masks https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover-guidance.html, but if he can’t wear a mask, then he can’t. I would think that wearing a face shield in public would at least keep him from getting hassled, but with that kind of medical issue, I am hoping that is doctors are also telling him to stay home as much as absolutely possible (basically only going out to go to doctor)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2020 at 6:35 PM, Toocrazy!! said:

I have a friend with one lung. Doctors have told him he can’t wear a mask. Has anyone seen research on whether a face shield would work for him? 

Gist: plastic face shield without masks are not protective 

• Like 3

On 7/9/2020 at 6:35 PM, Toocrazy!! said:

I have a friend with one lung. Doctors have told him he can’t wear a mask. Has anyone seen research on whether a face shield would work for him? 

Edited out private info—essentially, shields don’t protect against aerosolized particles.

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 6

Here's the face shields I love:https://mypowis.com/blog/portfolio/myshield/

Can be worn three ways, multiple pattern options for different looks, easy to clean, easy to see through. 

Overall I think face shileds + masks are best, if you can handle the stares. Since he can't do masks, seems to be better than nothing. If he has to go out, the shield will give more protection than nothing, and meet mot places' requirements on having face protection. They do seem geared more to helping the wearer than those around, which in this case doesn't seem a bad thing.

Edited by Moonhawk

21 minutes ago, Moonhawk said:

Here's the face shields I love:https://mypowis.com/blog/portfolio/myshield/

Can be worn three ways, multiple pattern options for different looks, easy to clean, easy to see through. 

Overall I think face shileds + masks are best, if you can handle the stares. Since he can't do masks, seems to be better than nothing. If he has to go out, the shield will give more protection than nothing, and meet mot places' requirements on having face protection. They do seem geared more to helping the wearer than those around, which in this case doesn't seem a bad thing.

Incidentally, I bought a 2-pack of the 3-in-1 from this link, because I'll be teaching K in person (in a homeschool co-op so only 2 days a week w/kids); they shipped the next day, arrived fast, and work fantastic. I have to tweak my hair style some because my braid got caught in the velcro when I went to take it off, but otherwise, awesome. The 4 yr old I was working with today thought it was great. 

My neighbor who's a nurse did warn me that w/o the mask, it doesn't protect me against aerosolized particles, only against droplets. 

• Thanks 1

LOLONG Face Bandana Ear Loops Stylish Men Women Neck Gaiters for Dust Wind Motorcycle from amazon for the days DH has to be in the field.  

DH has a lightweight face mask with a valve.  He can wear this one in buildings.  It is all cotton and doesn’t interfere with his breathing. 

Hopefully one of these could work for your friend.  

Edited by itsheresomewhere

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 12:37 PM, Moonhawk said:

Here's the face shields I love: https://mypowis.com/blog/portfolio/myshield/

Moonhawk, I'm having difficulty determining the shipping fee from the website. Would you mind sharing what you paid, please, either here or by a personal message.

Do you favor the Fog-Free, Cushion Top, or 3-in-1 option?

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

I'm going to have to get on an airplane in a few weeks.  I'm thinking about a face mask plus the shield.  Maybe the longo bandana style mask that someone recommended above plus a shield.   Any thoughts on that?

Anne

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

Moonhawk, I'm having difficulty determining the shipping fee from the website. Would you mind sharing what you paid, please, either here or by a personal message.

Do you favor the Fog-Free, Cushion Top, or 3-in-1 option?

Regards,

Kareni

HI Kareni, I can't remember the shipping fee, it's been a couple months. I'll look for my receipt but may not find it until tomorrow if that's ok. I remember it not being that much, though, the package was fairly compact and light. 

I got the 3-in-1 option, I don't think the others were available when I ordered. It looks like the 3-in-1 is the one that can be worn, well, all 3 ways, and I tend to switch between the 3 so I do find that feature useful. 

Let me know if you have more questions! And if you do get it, please let me know what you think 🙂 

@Moonhawk, thank you for the added information. I'm considering this for my husband who (hopefully) will be teaching some in person classes come September. If we do follow through, I'll post his thoughts. (And should you locate your receipt, I'll happily take more data!)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kareni said:

@Moonhawk, thank you for the added information. I'm considering this for my husband who (hopefully) will be teaching some in person classes come September. If we do follow through, I'll post his thoughts. (And should you locate your receipt, I'll happily take more data!)

Regards,

Kareni

I just bought mine recently and love it. I've been using it while tutoring a 4 yr old little girl, who reports it's nice/"better than the mask" as far as appearance goes. 

I got the 3-in-1 version, because I did want the neck option, which seems much less intrusive to me in appearance since I'm wearing it around little kids. I also wanted a cute cushion/band print 🙂  I got a 2-pack so that I can swap out between classes and things like that. 

The neck band does leave you lots of extra "band" when you wrap it around, depending I suppose on your neck size, but it tucks in fairly easily. It sticks out far enough from your face that should you want/need the added protection of wearing a mask underneath also part of the time, it's easy to reach up and put an ear-loop style mask on/off underneath (well, I have small hands.....this may vary person-to-person). 

We ordered my MIL the plain cushion top version, as she wanted regular forehead style. Shipping for one cushion top, from CA to TX, was $5.64; shipping for my 2-pack of the 3-in-1 was $9.37. (also from CA to TX). It came Priority Mail, and got here really quickly, and it seems like they charge the actual shipping rate, not a big upcharge on shipping. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got a couple of the Powis for our family and they seem to be stuck in USPS system having moved around in but not left CA for over a week.  🤪 I guess USPS is still quite overwhelmed.  Or overwhelmed again as People  ready for  maybe school. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheReader said:

I just bought mine recently and love it. I've been using it while tutoring a 4 yr old little girl, who reports it's nice/"better than the mask" as far as appearance goes. 

I got the 3-in-1 version, because I did want the neck option, which seems much less intrusive to me in appearance since I'm wearing it around little kids. I also wanted a cute cushion/band print 🙂  I got a 2-pack so that I can swap out between classes and things like that. 

The neck band does leave you lots of extra "band" when you wrap it around, depending I suppose on your neck size, but it tucks in fairly easily. It sticks out far enough from your face that should you want/need the added protection of wearing a mask underneath also part of the time, it's easy to reach up and put an ear-loop style mask on/off underneath (well, I have small hands.....this may vary person-to-person). 

We ordered my MIL the plain cushion top version, as she wanted regular forehead style. Shipping for one cushion top, from CA to TX, was $5.64; shipping for my 2-pack of the 3-in-1 was $9.37. (also from CA to TX). It came Priority Mail, and got here really quickly, and it seems like they charge the actual shipping rate, not a big upcharge on shipping. 

Oh, yes! Okay, that's for sure true, I'm sorry Kareni if that's what you are asking and I glazed over it. Still haven't found my receipt (you should see me at tax time...) but I do know it was definitely an actual shipping charge without a crazy markup. 🙂 

50 minutes ago, Pen said:

I got a couple of the Powis for our family and they seem to be stuck in USPS system having moved around in but not left CA for over a week.  🤪 I guess USPS is still quite overwhelmed.  Or overwhelmed again as People  ready for  maybe school. 

I've been watching an unrelated package dance across the US. Its past 24 hour progress has actually gone farther away from me, and it's now enjoying the sights in Knoxville. (I know hubs and all that, it's just been funny that my package has done more traveling this year than I have, lol)

• Like 2