Menu

Bulk food storage containers

Acadie

How do you store large quantities of rice and flour? Usually I prefer glass food storage, but for a 20-lb supply I may have to give up on that ideal. The most important thing is an airtight seal to keep out moisture and pantry moths.

Here's one option I found at The Container Store: https://www.containerstore.com/s/kitchen/food-storage/lustroware-smart-locks-keep-boxes-bulk-food-storage/12d?productId=10033440

Would love to hear what's worked for you for airtight grain storage.

I store flours in these buckets, both small and medium. They also have a large size, but I don't have that one.

When we started ordering from the restaurant supply company, I bought one of these to hold my 50lb bag of all-purpose flour: 50lb bag rolling storage. I put the entire bag inside it and then cut open the top.

• Like 1

I get my large storage containers at the pet store. They’re food grade, seal well, and are easy to open for scooping. I tend to use the 10lb ones and they have handles that make them easy to get in and out of the pantry. The larger ones have wheels. I stole this idea from a pastry chef. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

I get my large storage containers at the pet store. They’re food grade, seal well, and are easy to open for scooping. I tend to use the 10lb ones and they have handles that make them easy to get in and out of the pantry. The larger ones have wheels. I stole this idea from a pastry chef. 

Same here.  It has worked well for me for years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Same. Wheeled dog food bin. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Do you dump the food directly into the bin or do you put the bag of grain into the bin?  In other words, does you grain touch the container?

9 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Vittles Vaults? Or another brand?

I’m all about the buckets and gamma lids, and with Mylar bags and oxygen absorbers for things stored for a long time. I’ve kept mine in the crawlspace (gross and nasty, but the only space with consistent temperature) and had things come out perfect.

For shorter term, dog food bins are good. We had forgotten about leftover dog food for a while after our second big guy died. No bugs or other yuckies in there when we finally dumped it.

7 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

Vittles Vaults? Or another brand?

I don’t know what brand mine are. They look like Rubbermaid containers. Something like this:

https://www.chewy.com/buddeez-bag-in-pet-food-dispenser/dp/152368?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Buddeez&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqsChgMOE6gIVCG-GCh3B1Q7DEAQYASABEgI2fPD_BwE

• Like 1