Menu

What would you substitute for cream in a chicken pot pie? (non-dairy)

Tap

What can I use to substitute for cream in a chicken pot pie? dd13 can't have dairy. I make my white sauce from scratch (starting with a roux), so I can use any milk substitute that will taste good.  I have oat milk, almond milk and coconut milk on hand. I live in a city, so I can also buy pretty much anything that tastes good. What would you recommend? I want it to have a creamy taste/texture (not just chicken broth gravy). I don't usually cook with milk substitutes unless they make sense in the recipe (ie coconut milk in curry etc) so I don't have a lot of experience on how they taste in a savory dish. 

Edited by Tap

Oh you have to buy it? What if you just cook a little potato into the broth and mash it or add potato flakes? I keep almond milk for ds and coconut milk for me. I'm not sure I'd use either, just me. Is this for someone else or for yourself? You could just flat ask them. Coconut milk in the refrig section comes sweet and unsweet and vanilla or not. Obviously the extra flavors would skew it, which is why I'd just use potato flakes or add in some potato that cooks down. But I'm not really huge on pot pies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

Oh you have to buy it? What if you just cook a little potato into the broth and mash it or add potato flakes? I keep almond milk for ds and coconut milk for me. I'm not sure I'd use either, just me. Is this for someone else or for yourself? You could just flat ask them. Coconut milk in the refrig section comes sweet and unsweet and vanilla or not. Obviously the extra flavors would skew it, which is why I'd just use potato flakes or add in some potato that cooks down. But I'm not really huge on pot pies.

That may work....hmm. The potatoes I am using are red, so not super starchy. I have unsweetened/unflavored coconut milk, but of course it still has a slight coconut flavor. Not really a flavor I want to add to a pot pie LOL 

I am just looking for different recipes to have for dinner. I haven't made one in years, so I thought I would make one for  something different. 

I used to cook often for a friend with a severe dairy allergy. I would make two of whatever I was making for my family and make hers dairy free.  I always preferred unsweetened rice milk for sauces/gravies because it provided the least amount of alternative milk flavor to my dishes.  Unsweetened almond milk works pretty well also, though depending how much of it you use you can taste that nuttiness- which may or may not be a good thing.  

• Like 1

I have had some luck with pureed white beans. 

I find that coconut milk and soy milk both have a distinct flavor that clashes with savory dishes. I could barely swallow mashed potatoes made with soy milk.

Of the milk alternatives, I have found cashew milk is pretty neutral.

I have also had some luck making a rich gravy using egg yolks to make  an emulsion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

But if we're going to do this, do we want *pie* dough on top or puff pastry? 

And how did @Tap's variation turn out?

lol. The pastry depends on what I have on hand and if I want to pay for puff pastry. I  will make it in a few days. My daughter asked for meatloaf tonight, which is much easier....and easier dinners usually win 🙂

• Like 1