Menu

June 2020 - well-trained bodies

Laura Corin

37 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I didn't make it to the beaver pond, instead I went for a hike with a friend. We encountered some very friendly chipmunks along the trail. People feed them very frequently here, so they are used to coming right up to you for food. Next time I'll bring some seeds for them. 

On another topic (aka: What will I do next year?), I just found out that I received a large scholarship to complete my graduate diploma!! I'm absolutely thrilled. I applied for this way back in November before I'd heard about our move. Now that we're staying, I'll be able to finish my studies. Pretty exciting! I've never received this large a scholarship in my life. Just goes to show that professional/education pursuits aren't over when you reach 50 and you've been homeschooling for 16 years. 😃

IMG_20200608_145655500.jpg

Congratulations on your scholarship! Fantastic achievement, with more success to come I'm sure.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wintermom said:

I didn't make it to the beaver pond, instead I went for a hike with a friend. We encountered some very friendly chipmunks along the trail. People feed them very frequently here, so they are used to coming right up to you for food. Next time I'll bring some seeds for them. 

On another topic (aka: What will I do next year?), I just found out that I received a large scholarship to complete my graduate diploma!! I'm absolutely thrilled. I applied for this way back in November before I'd heard about our move. Now that we're staying, I'll be able to finish my studies. Pretty exciting! I've never received this large a scholarship in my life. Just goes to show that professional/education pursuits aren't over when you reach 50 and you've been homeschooling for 16 years. 😃

IMG_20200608_145655500.jpg

Ah, memories of chipmunks.  For a few summers, we joined Husband's parents in Estes Park, Colorado.  The chipmunks were well fed and a lot of fun.

Congratulations on the scholarship!   That's great news.  I can't remember - what's your graduate diploma in?

About green spaces: it's not a perfect system, but the Green Belts around cities in the UK have at least meant that they don't tend to sprawl forever.  The Green Belts do keep house prices high though.  There have been terrible things done though: for example a lot of schools had their playing fields sold off in the 80s for development, so many don't have that much space for exercise.

@soror I'm glad you had a good day.

@barnwife I can't even imagine five pregnancies.  Any activity you manage puts you at the top of my admiration tree.

Yesterday was good - I did a long, gentle yoga practice at lunchtime, which made an enormous difference to my back.  After work, Husband and I went for a gentle walk - he had done his C25K in the morning - near our possible new house, and near the best local source of good tomatoes and berries.

Today, tide is low around midday, so I hope to NW then, if I can organise eating around that.  So I'll be taking a long lunch break.  I'll try for some short and strong yoga after work.

Breakfast - porridge, yoghurt, fresh strawberries; lunch -  maybe leftover sausage with lentil sprouts in chicken stock; supper - whatever fish we buy from the van plus kale and kohlrabi.

• Like 2

@wintermom Many congratulations on your scholarship!!!

I love chipmunks, we have them here but they aren't as prolific as squirrels.

I'm sore today (did more on exercising yesterday am) and am feeling it. Today's plan is yoga.

We're supposed to have storms today, the remnant of Cristobal, so I plan to focus on inside tasks.

My sleep was not the best last night (although Fitbit says it was ok). I felt HOT all night and kept waking up, even though the house temperature was the same. Certainly hormones due to the impending period. I'm hoping for a nap today.

food:

breakfast- steelcut oats w/berries- turkey bacon and scrambled eggs w/ grn pepper

lunch: quinoa, cabbage, carrot salad w/ edamame, mandarin, and chopped peanuts+ dark chocolate

dinner: tex mex rice salad w/ chicken breast added- brown rice, black beans, corn, cilantro, tomatos, bell peppers, red onion, and avocado w/ homemade dressing 

snack: depends on activty level and hunger- for sure oranges (I have some I need to use), might make a cucumber salad?; 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, soror said:

I'm sore today (did more on exercising yesterday am) and am feeling it. Today's plan is yoga.

We're supposed to have storms today, the remnant of Cristobal, so I plan to focus on inside tasks.

My sleep was not the best last night (although Fitbit says it was ok). I felt HOT all night and kept waking up, even though the house temperature was the same. Certainly hormones due to the impending period. I'm hoping for a nap today.

food:

breakfast- steelcut oats w/berries- turkey bacon and scrambled eggs w/ grn pepper

lunch: quinoa, cabbage, carrot salad w/ edamame, mandarin, and chopped peanuts+ dark chocolate

dinner: tex mex rice salad w/ chicken breast added- brown rice, black beans, corn, cilantro, tomatos, bell peppers, red onion, and avocado w/ homemade dressing 

snack: depends on activty level and hunger- for sure oranges (I have some I need to use), might make a cucumber salad?; 

I want your food.....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I want your food.....

I want yours 🙂 wouldn't it be nice to have a dinner party with friends, everyone making yummy healthy dishes? I used to do dinner parties with a few different friends like that, all from scratch, whole foods, it was so nice. My friend circle now doesn't overlap as well and don't care for the same kinds of foods.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Ah, memories of chipmunks.  For a few summers, we joined Husband's parents in Estes Park, Colorado.  The chipmunks were well fed and a lot of fun.

Congratulations on the scholarship!   That's great news.  I can't remember - what's your graduate diploma in?

About green spaces: it's not a perfect system, but the Green Belts around cities in the UK have at least meant that they don't tend to sprawl forever.  The Green Belts do keep house prices high though.  There have been terrible things done though: for example a lot of schools had their playing fields sold off in the 80s for development, so many don't have that much space for exercise.

@soror I'm glad you had a good day.

@barnwife I can't even imagine five pregnancies.  Any activity you manage puts you at the top of my admiration tree.

Yesterday was good - I did a long, gentle yoga practice at lunchtime, which made an enormous difference to my back.  After work, Husband and I went for a gentle walk - he had done his C25K in the morning - near our possible new house, and near the best local source of good tomatoes and berries.

Today, tide is low around midday, so I hope to NW then, if I can organise eating around that.  So I'll be taking a long lunch break.  I'll try for some short and strong yoga after work.

Breakfast - porridge, yoghurt, fresh strawberries; lunch -  maybe leftover sausage with lentil sprouts in chicken stock; supper - whatever fish we buy from the van plus kale and kohlrabi.

Thanks very much. I love chipmunks, too. They have so much character. They can also be surprisingly loud when they want to. Their peeps when they are annoyed at you disturbing their forest can be heard 50 yds at least. And when they visit the feeding spot they fill their cheeks to enormous size then run off to cache the food. 

We have a green belt around our city. It's my absolute favourite thing about the city. We live outside the green belt, so we pass through 'the county' to get downtown. There are farms, hiking and biking trails, equestrian parks and campgrounds in the green belt. It's lovely. 

That's very sad about school playing fields disappearing. We still have the fields, but all the elementary level Physical Education teachers have disappeared (as well as art and music). So there is a lot less effective use of the space during school hours. 

Enjoy your NW and yoga. Your food sounds delicious!

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, KathyBC said:

Congratulations on your scholarship! Fantastic achievement, with more success to come I'm sure.

Thanks so much. My first goal is to figure out the on-line enrollment to get into the courses I need. 🤪  This is sometimes more challenging than the course material and assignments.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soror said:

food:

Thanks very much!  We have more squirrels than chipmunks, too, I think. The chipmunks tend to be less noticeable, though. 

Hope your soreness goes away very soon. My shoulder is sore from the wee bit of painting doors I've been doing over the past 2 days. It's amazing how just a short duration of repetitive motions can overload a joint. Probably has to do with all the small muscles around the shoulder that get easily fatigued. So no painting for a few days for me.

Our forecast sounds similar to yours, with minor storms or at the least some rain. 

I love how you have your period to help you out with determining when hormones are changing. I could use some of that. It's frustrating when I have no idea if my hormones are following a cycle or not. There doesn't seem to be any obvious signs, but the last blood test indicated I hadn't reached menopause yet.

Enjoy your indoor day and delicious food!

I'll be doing my yoga and push-ups today, and also squeeze in a couple short dog walks and/or bike rides. 

Observation: I've noticed a pattern that when I have a particularly heavy exercise day my weight initially goes up a bit, and then the next day it goes down a pound or two. Has anyone experienced something similar? I wonder what the physiological mechanism is for this, if it is indeed a regular occurrance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

I'll be doing my yoga and push-ups today, and also squeeze in a couple short dog walks and/or bike rides. 

Observation: I've noticed a pattern that when I have a particularly heavy exercise day my weight initially goes up a bit, and then the next day it goes down a pound or two. Has anyone experienced something similar? I wonder what the physiological mechanism is for this, if it is indeed a regular occurrance. 

Yes, I've noticed that.  Inflammation leading to water retention?  A wild guess.

• Like 1

I didn't get up early enough for strength or cardio work this morning. I switched prenatal brands recently (ran out of one kind, store was out of it, chose another brand), and the new one seems to be making me nauseous in the morning. Blah. I hate to waste a bottle of them, but I also don't like feeling awful.

The kids and I did go for a walk. It wasn't too hot and there was a nice breeze. It was a longer walk than we usually do, and the kids chose a hillier route than normal. Our normal route is pretty flat. None of that's bad, but the 3 yo also  had to be pushed in a stroller (he can't quite pedal his tricycle, and absolutely refused his balance bike today). So...pushing a 3 yo up and down hills at 25 weeks for half an hour sure felt like exercise!

@wintermom Congrats on the scholarship! May this lead to very good things for you!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, barnwife said:

I didn't get up early enough for strength or cardio work this morning. I switched prenatal brands recently (ran out of one kind, store was out of it, chose another brand), and the new one seems to be making me nauseous in the morning. Blah. I hate to waste a bottle of them, but I also don't like feeling awful.

The kids and I did go for a walk. It wasn't too hot and there was a nice breeze. It was a longer walk than we usually do, and the kids chose a hillier route than normal. Our normal route is pretty flat. None of that's bad, but the 3 yo also  had to be pushed in a stroller (he can't quite pedal his tricycle, and absolutely refused his balance bike today). So...pushing a 3 yo up and down hills at 25 weeks for half an hour sure felt like exercise!

@wintermom Congrats on the scholarship! May this lead to very good things for you!

Thanks!  I'm feeling winded just imagining dealing with a 3 yo for anything, nevermind going up and down hills! Great job! Hope your nausea goes away. I'd spring for the old brand of prenatal vit. Your comfort is definitely worth it! 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, barnwife said:

I remember that!  I only have two children, but when I was pregnant with Hobbes, I was determined to keep walking, so I used to push the stroller with Calvin (3) up into the hills.  It was winter and early spring in Hong Kong, so not too bad.  But hard work!  The first photo shows one of the tracks up (we didn't own a golf cart, not did we buy property!)

https://www.scmp.com/magazines/style/news-trends/article/2142950/hk2-million-golf-carts-cost-more-tesla-hong-kong

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Glad your back is good. Hope your tide is low and you have a good walk on the beach. I know Kale.  What is Kohlrabi ?? Is it a name for something like courgettes in the UK for Zucchini in the US ? 

The walk was amazing and the beach was almost deserted.  Yoga after work was fine too.  Work is getting suddenly busy, so that might be the last long lunchbreak that I get for a while.

Kohlrabi is from the same family as broccoli, I think, but it's a swollen stem.  It looks a bit like a bulb but it's not.  It tastes, to me, like broccoli stem.  I don't know if it has another name.  I did this recipe: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/jun/05/nigel-slater-kohlrabi-with-tomatoes-recipe.

• Like 2

Happy Wednesday! The good news is that my phone, having had a glass of water tipped on it two days ago, has emerged from its rice bath like Cleopatra from asses' milk: fresh and functional. (Fascinating article on asses' milk in the Georgian period here: https://georgianera.wordpress.com/tag/asses-milk/)

The semi-good news is that when I thought I had screwed up at work a few days ago, I hadn't. That does mean that the student may be in trouble, but we are trying hard to find mitigating circumstances, given that all the students are working from home, often in difficult circumstances.

The bad news is that I have to minute eight academic misconduct boards (not related to the previous paragraph) in the next week, the first today. It will all be on Teams and I won't be able to hand out tissues. All quite depressing.

Anyway. It's rainy today, so I'll do a big yoga session at lunchtime and a short brisk walk after work.

Breakfast - porridge, yoghurt, berries; lunch - lentil sprout soup; supper - tofu with whatever veg comes from the farm, plus salad.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

I did get skunked out today.  I might try tomorrow, but I dunno.  

Sorry 😞 stinks to plan something and have it tank.

5 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Happy Wednesday! The good news is that my phone, having had a glass of water tipped on it two days ago, has emerged from its rice bath like Cleopatra from asses' milk: fresh and functional. (Fascinating article on asses' milk in the Georgian period here: https://georgianera.wordpress.com/tag/asses-milk/)

The semi-good news is that when I thought I had screwed up at work a few days ago, I hadn't. That does mean that the student may be in trouble, but we are trying hard to find mitigating circumstances, given that all the students are working from home, often in difficult circumstances.

The bad news is that I have to minute eight academic misconduct boards (not related to the previous paragraph) in the next week, the first today. It will all be on Teams and I won't be able to hand out tissues. All quite depressing.

Anyway. It's rainy today, so I'll do a big yoga session at lunchtime and a short brisk walk after work.

Breakfast - porridge, yoghurt, berries; lunch - lentil sprout soup; supper - tofu with whatever veg comes from the farm, plus salad.

LOL on the milk!

it is a crazy time for all, I hope it works out and the boards aren't too bad.

17 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

I want to eat like you too. So balanced always.

I would absolutely love this. We do a lot in my neighborhood like this as in share food  and very much cooked from scratch. We live in a very diverse neighborhood and I have eaten stuff like gumbo made from chicken sausage because we do not eat pork or mexican dishes cooked by a neighbor's mom that I would not ever eat at a restaurant. Healthy, home cooked stuff. I treasure something like this, pardon the gushing, but very much love on a plate  and I think your friends are the poorer for it.

I'm trying hard to up my nutrition and keep it balanced, that is why I post, keeps me striving to improve. I know I used to love dinner parties with yummy food, fellowship is always nice too, don't get me young but sharing good healthy recipes is wonderful too. 

Today strength work in between classes and walk with friend. Some outside work, depends on weather and chance of rain what I'll do.

slept wonderfully even before my period, unprecedented!

food: 

breakfast: scrambled eggs w/turkey bacon and baked sweet pot- fresh strawberries and cherries w/ chia pudding

lunch: leftover dinner- brown rice, black bean, corn, chix breast, homemamde guac, tomato, red pepper, spinach, red onion, tomatillo salsa; dark choc

dinner: chicken shwarma w/ cauliflower and brown rice

snack: miso kale chips, fruit (got lots fresh), ?

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

@happysmileylady  Sorry you missed pool time. Hope you can get in soon. 

@Laura Corin  Hope the day isn't too rough. Glad your phone survived the flood! 

@soror  Great job with the strength session. Are you doing free weights/lifting?  I've added in a couple of very simple exercises with light free weights to my morning routine. 

@Dreamergal  Thanks for all your positive and encouraging posts! It's very interesting to hear about growing up in a very different culture and environment.

I'll be playing doubles tennis later this morning, then hopefully going for a hike with a friend. I'll also complete my morning yoga and strength work.

My latest backyard project is making a little pond for the critters. My first attempt was a success and it took 5 min to make. I found an old, shallow plastic bin and an old sled, placed rocks of various sizes in them to make perches for birds, ramps and hideouts for critters, then filled them with water. Within 5 minutes there was a bird checking it out. I've place the pond right outside my kitchen window so I can watch all the action up close. 😃

• Like 3

1 minute ago, wintermom said:

@soror  Great job with the strength session. Are you doing free weights/lifting?  I've added in a couple of very simple exercises with light free weights to my morning routine. 

@Dreamergal  Thanks for all your positive and encouraging posts! It's very interesting to hear about growing up in a very different culture and environment.

I'll be playing doubles tennis later this morning, then hopefully going for a hike with a friend. I'll also complete my morning yoga and strength work.

My latest backyard project is making a little pond for the critters. My first attempt was a success and it took 5 min to make. I found an old, shallow plastic bin and an old sled, placed rocks of various sizes in them to make perches for birds, ramps and hideouts for critters, then filled them with water. Within 5 minutes there was a bird checking it out. I've place the pond right outside my kitchen window so I can watch all the action up close. 😃

I'm doing bodyweight work still, pulled out the ol' body by you book it has progressions on different types of bodyweight movements- pushing, in-line pushing, pulling, squats, and bends.

OH, I love the idea of a little pond. My friend has one in her yard, it is so pretty. I've been considering a bird bath, my worry is my outside cat.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, soror said:

I'm doing bodyweight work still, pulled out the ol' body by you book it has progressions on different types of bodyweight movements- pushing, in-line pushing, pulling, squats, and bends.

OH, I love the idea of a little pond. My friend has one in her yard, it is so pretty. I've been considering a bird bath, my worry is my outside cat.

I'm mostly doing bodyweight work as well. Today I increased my push-ups to 5 x 20 = 100!!  I really hope my timing of doing this before tennis wasn't a big mistake. 😉

My neighbour has an outside cat so I hope there won't be too many problems with the pond.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, wintermom said:

How lovely!  A little pond is on my firm to-do list if we get the new house.  I never did it here - I think I was just exhausted by how much there was to do already.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

How lovely!  A little pond is on my firm to-do list if we get the new house.  I never did it here - I think I was just exhausted by how much there was to do already.

I've been wanting to build a pond for a while, too. I've always felt it was too big a job until I watched this little video clip from BBC Springwatch. The part about the pond making starts at time 24:24. These videos on the website have been so inspiring for me this springs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p08ghpnn

• Like 1

For those of you who are enjoying my amateur attempts at wildlife photography, here is a 'herd' of Canada geese chicks at a nearby park. I've never seen this many chicks together before. Nice to see that some don't have to worry about social distancing these days. 😄

IMG_20200602_113016535.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

I've been wanting to build a pond for a while, too. I've always felt it was too big a job until I watched this little video clip from BBC Springwatch. The part about the pond making starts at time 24:24. These videos on the website have been so inspiring for me this springs.

Thanks.  I loved the Black Caps right after that clip too, almost falling out of their nest they are so big and fat.  It occurs to me that we have two plastic sleds that would make great pond bases, with built-in slopes....  We are a long way from having grandkids, so that would be a good use for them.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Thanks.  I loved the Black Caps right after that clip too, almost falling out of their nest they are so big and fat.  It occurs to me that we have two plastic sleds that would make great pond bases, with built-in slopes....  We are a long way from having grandkids, so that would be a good use for them.

I've been watching all the News from the Nest videos and enjoying all the baby birds. So fuzzy and cute. There were a pair of baby barn owls on the TV program. So adorable!!

• Like 1

I'm back! We left town for a week and came back because things quieted down. All the nearby liquor stores are boarded up - someone even rammed a U-Haul truck through the store across from us - but the grocery stores are open and things seem more normal.

I canceled my DoYogaWithMe subscription because yoga just doesn't seem to be a good plan with my wrists in their current state. Sigh. I held my sister's 1-year-old for about five minutes and they flared up again. I found some barre workouts on YouTube that seem to be working better for me. I did a 20-minute leg workout this morning and, WOW.

I got two diet books: the South Beach Diet and Judith Beck's Complete Diet for Life. I really resonate with the CBT and habit-based approach of Beck. I think it is similar to WW meetings, which were so vital for me. My plan is to read through CDfL over the next week and then decide how to proceed.

I went to the produce store this morning for the first time since early March, as I've been ordering groceries during the pandemic. It was pretty strange. I completely loaded my cart and had to get a second cart to take things out. Granted, their carts are small. We're having one of my kids' favorite meals tonight: mushroom tofu tacos. (When my husband hears the kids beg for mushroom tofu tacos, he always wonders about them... it is pretty surreal to hear them beg for them.) For our family of 7, I use 2 lbs of tofu and 4 lbs of mushrooms. Basically, we only eat mushrooms the day after I produce shop, but we eat a lot of them.

Emily

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Guys, my rowing machine is heeeerrreee!  That was fast!  Now I just have to get all the cr*p out of the hallway so I can set it up...

sweet, hope you love it!

18 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

I'm back! We left town for a week and came back because things quieted down. All the nearby liquor stores are boarded up - someone even rammed a U-Haul truck through the store across from us - but the grocery stores are open and things seem more normal.

I canceled my DoYogaWithMe subscription because yoga just doesn't seem to be a good plan with my wrists in their current state. Sigh. I held my sister's 1-year-old for about five minutes and they flared up again. I found some barre workouts on YouTube that seem to be working better for me. I did a 20-minute leg workout this morning and, WOW.

I got two diet books: the South Beach Diet and Judith Beck's Complete Diet for Life. I really resonate with the CBT and habit-based approach of Beck. I think it is similar to WW meetings, which were so vital for me. My plan is to read through CDfL over the next week and then decide how to proceed.

I went to the produce store this morning for the first time since early March, as I've been ordering groceries during the pandemic. It was pretty strange. I completely loaded my cart and had to get a second cart to take things out. Granted, their carts are small. We're having one of my kids' favorite meals tonight: mushroom tofu tacos. (When my husband hears the kids beg for mushroom tofu tacos, he always wonders about them... it is pretty surreal to hear them beg for them.) For our family of 7, I use 2 lbs of tofu and 4 lbs of mushrooms. Basically, we only eat mushrooms the day after I produce shop, but we eat a lot of them.

Emily

I'm so sorry the wrists are still bugging you and it has been so rough where you live. Ya, for fresh groceries!

19 hours ago, wintermom said:

Cool, thanks for sharing. Good job on the push-ups! 

• Like 2

My period started this am without fanfare after another great night of sleep. I had increased appetite yesterday after a couple days of it being lower but I refrained from going crazy on crap food and kept to good foods (even though I ate quite a lot- that is an improvement over jumping into a face full of crap food). For the afternoon munchies, I had- apple, banana, 2 mandarin oranges, sm. 'paleo' cookie dough bite, 3 slices leftover baked eggplant, 1/2 serving black bean chips with bit of leftover guac, and 3 cups homemade popcorn. 

I hit 23 out of 24 on the Daily Dozen, so close! At the end of the day I realized I missed flax. I was happy that even though I ate a lot, I had a lot of healthy food.

I am thrilled I didn't have horrible PMS (or worse PMDD) this month and my sleep before my period was much better than usual. I had 1 bad night, instead of multiple really bad nights. I didn't have the munchies for days on end either.

Today's plan:

30 min yoga (15 min done), walk; mow the lawn

breakfast: scrambled eggs + turkey bacon and roasted spiced sweet potato; gf toast; fresh strawberries + chia 'pudding' 

lunch: brown rice, black beans, avocado, corn, red pepper, onion, spinach, homemade lime dressing

dinner: yakisoba w/ small amount of beef, cabbage, rice + zuc noodles, onions, and carrots+ edamame

snack: dark chocolate; paleo cookie dough bite; ? 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, soror said:

My period started this am without fanfare after another great night of sleep. I had increased appetite yesterday after a couple days of it being lower but I refrained from going crazy on crap food and kept to good foods (even though I ate quite a lot- that is an improvement over jumping into a face full of crap food). For the afternoon munchies, I had- apple, banana, 2 mandarin oranges, sm. 'paleo' cookie dough bite, 3 slices leftover baked eggplant, 1/2 serving black bean chips with bit of leftover guac, and 3 cups homemade popcorn. 

I hit 23 out of 24 on the Daily Dozen, so close! At the end of the day I realized I missed flax. I was happy that even though I ate a lot, I had a lot of healthy food.

I am thrilled I didn't have horrible PMS (or worse PMDD) this month and my sleep before my period was much better than usual. I had 1 bad night, instead of multiple really bad nights. I didn't have the munchies for days on end either.

Today's plan:

30 min yoga (15 min done), walk; mow the lawn

breakfast: scrambled eggs + turkey bacon and roasted spiced sweet potato; gf toast; fresh strawberries + chia 'pudding' 

lunch: brown rice, black beans, avocado, corn, red pepper, onion, spinach, homemade lime dressing

dinner: yakisoba w/ small amount of beef, cabbage, rice + zuc noodles, onions, and carrots+ edamame

snack: dark chocolate; paleo cookie dough bite; ? 

So glad that you are having a good cycle and able to sleep and eat healthy. Enjoy your yoga and outdoor work. Your meal plans sound delicious. I had to google yakisoba. That looks amazing! I'll have to try that. I love stir-fry and Japanese food.

• Like 2

@soror Your food for today looks yummy. I am a little envious, as I haven't really planned this week's food.

@wintermom I like the photos! And the Canada geese totally made me smile. I grew up in a place pretty locally well-known for being a topping point on one of their migration paths. The church we went to when I was young was  basically right on a river...oh, the memories of avoiding all the "gifts" they left behind as we walked from our car to church!

Tuesday was basically a lazy day. Yesterday I managed a walk between rain showers and 30 minutes-ish of yoga. I just finished some cardio for today. And, as it's the first not rainy day here in a couple days, hopefully will also include a walk. 

I really have no planned food for today, but breakfast will probably include eggs (my MW likes patients to eat a couple a day). Lunch might be a salad. Dinner will involve repurposing some leftover chicken...maybe shredded chicken tacos.

• Like 3

I'll be doing my yoga and push-ups this morning, then a bike ride with a friend this afternoon. I have to take the dog to get his vaccinations this morning, and the clinic is in a town right on a picturesque river, so I think I'll take a little walk along the river. I haven't walked there in over a year. 

ETA: I did my yoga and push-ups outside in the backyard. It was so lovely having the company of a song sparrow. When I did my stretches laying on my back looking up at the clouds, it took me right back to my childhood trying to recognize shapes in the clouds. What a great way to start the day! 😃

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, barnwife said:

@wintermom I like the photos! And the Canada geese totally made me smile. I grew up in a place pretty locally well-known for being a topping point on one of their migration paths. The church we went to when I was young was  basically right on a river...oh, the memories of avoiding all the "gifts" they left behind as we walked from our car to church!

Tuesday was basically a lazy day. Yesterday I managed a walk between rain showers and 30 minutes-ish of yoga. I just finished some cardio for today. And, as it's the first not rainy day here in a couple days, hopefully will also include a walk. 

I really have no planned food for today, but breakfast will probably include eggs (my MW likes patients to eat a couple a day). Lunch might be a salad. Dinner will involve repurposing some leftover chicken...maybe shredded chicken tacos.

Ah yes, the numerous droppings of the Canada geese are both large and solid, with vivid colouring. Not appreciated by all, golf course owners in particular. 😉  I believe it's a small price to pay to enjoy wildlife up close and personal. 

Enjoy your walk today. Great job getting the yoga in already!

• Like 1

Quick drop in.  Today will be 60 minutes of yoga (done already) and a couple of miles of walking.

Breakfast: oatmeal, yoghurt peaches/strawberries; lunch - lettuce, olive and lentil sprout salad with yoghurt dressing and savoury oatcake with pumpkin seed butter; supper - smoked mackerel, kohlrabi salad and roast courgette.

• Like 3

35 minutes of leg day with FIT with Larie on YouTube.

I went to the produce store yesterday, so we are set. Lots of yummy veggies and fruit in the fridge.

Breakfast: oatmeal, berries, peanuts; lunch: rice and lentils with caramelized onions and maybe tahini sauce (will check points beforehand, but if I don't snack in the morning it should be fine); snack: popcorn with kids, maybe some chocolate chips; dinner: roasted cauliflower and chicken in buffalo wing sauce, served with yogurt-blue cheese dressing.

• Like 4

Hi friends! 

IT'S A BOY!!!!!  3 sons, isn't that amazing?!  Still blows my mind.  Yesterday's appointment shows everything is looking great!  Dr said, all other things being equal, he will want to induce me at week 39, which is the week of Thanksgiving.

I feel like a total imposter posting on the "active" thread because I just am not right now except when I can squeeze a walk in between thunderstorms.  Blood pressure is still so low that any exertion wipes me out completely and makes me feel faint.  I will have to embrace this as a season of rest, I suppose, although I am still holding out hope for being able to swim once the pool is ready.  The constant rain means we are having a horrible time getting the chemical balance correct and managing algae.  I am eating a lot of fruit, salad, homemade bread, peanut butter, lowfat cheese, and not a whole lot else, lol.  Weight gain is 6 lbs which is apparently right on track.

Anyways, yay for a healthy boy!  I thought I would be disappointed not to have a girl, but I'm actually really excited!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Hi friends! 

IT'S A BOY!!!!!  3 sons, isn't that amazing?!  Still blows my mind.  Yesterday's appointment shows everything is looking great!  Dr said, all other things being equal, he will want to induce me at week 39, which is the week of Thanksgiving.

I feel like a total imposter posting on the "active" thread because I just am not right now except when I can squeeze a walk in between thunderstorms.  Blood pressure is still so low that any exertion wipes me out completely and makes me feel faint.  I will have to embrace this as a season of rest, I suppose, although I am still holding out hope for being able to swim once the pool is ready.  The constant rain means we are having a horrible time getting the chemical balance correct and managing algae.  I am eating a lot of fruit, salad, homemade bread, peanut butter, lowfat cheese, and not a whole lot else, lol.  Weight gain is 6 lbs which is apparently right on track.

Anyways, yay for a healthy boy!  I thought I would be disappointed not to have a girl, but I'm actually really excited!

Brilliant!  Are your other boys excited?

You are definitely active - working hard building a life.  I have low blood pressure and had to be really careful not to keel over during pregnancy, especially in the heat.  Take it easy.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Hi friends! 

That's exciting! Please keep checking in to provide updates! You are obviously still a 'well-trained body.' Hope you can get the pool up and running so you can enjoy some swimming. I remember how hard it was to balance our old pool. Wasn't rain, rather too many leaves falling into the pool.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

Brilliant!  Are your other boys excited?

You are definitely active - working hard building a life.  I have low blood pressure and had to be really careful not to keel over during pregnancy, especially in the heat.  Take it easy.

They are VERY excited.  The younger one really wanted a little brother.  I think the older one wanted a sister, but he's since warmed up to the idea and was talking at lunch today about how exciting having a little baby around was going to be.

The heat is definitely a factor right now!  Heat index has been 100 degrees here, as well as humidity.  I used to be cold all the time, but recently I have been overheating a lot.

• Like 3

Okay, have to share a pic of my new 'baby' 😉

I'm so excited that it fits so well... it's like we designed that hallway around it! And I can even open that door on the far end to sit right down - I had figured the rail would block it so it wouldn't open, but it doesn't - yay.

20200611_165905.jpg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, wintermom said:

@soror  I happened to be at the grocery store and found some steamed noodles, so I tried my version of yakisoba for ds 18 and myself (the rest of the family had pizza). Ds and I both liked it. I'll have to try some at a restaurant sometime to see what it's supposed to taste like. 😉

Nice! I've never had the real stuff, so I can't compare (we just got a Japanese place but their yakisoba is not gf (since most soy sauce isn't gf)). Some of my family likes it, some don't.

12 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Okay, have to share a pic of my new 'baby' 😉

I'm so excited that it fits so well... it's like we designed that hallway around it! And I can even open that door on the far end to sit right down - I had figured the rail would block it so it wouldn't open, but it doesn't - yay.

20200611_165905.jpg

Enjoy your new toy!

18 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Hi friends! 

A huge congrats on the boy!!! Do you have a name picked out??

20 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Quick drop in.  Today will be 60 minutes of yoga (done already) and a couple of miles of walking.

Breakfast: oatmeal, yoghurt peaches/strawberries; lunch - lettuce, olive and lentil sprout salad with yoghurt dressing and savoury oatcake with pumpkin seed butter; supper - smoked mackerel, kohlrabi salad and roast courgette.

So, I thought I'd read that sprouting the lentil increases the nutritional value but am not finding that info now. Do you just like sprouts or use them for some reason? 

21 hours ago, barnwife said:

@soror Your food for today looks yummy. I am a little envious, as I haven't really planned this week's food.

It's ok to have a lazy day, hope you feel better today.

• Like 2

Red letter day yesterday- I clicked all 24 boxes on Daily Dozen list (misleading name) and 12 hrs straight activity. I only managed 15 min of yoga but also got in a walk.

Today- walk with friend (maybe digging if dh gets home early). Strength work.

Food:

breakfast: oats with some fruit, flax, and nuts (I think) we'll see what strikes me

lunch: brown rice, black beans, corn, avocado, red pepper & onion, tomatoes, tomatillo

dinner: baked fish, roasted potatoes or homemade baked fries, homemade slaw, and baked beans

snack: dark choc; ? 

Snacks always depend on the day, I try to eat just to hunger and not overdo. Yesterday I just did an evening snack before TKD and my walk, greek yogurt, rolled oats, flax, chopped apple, and sprinkle of sliced almonds- I might do that today too, we'll see.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soror said:

So, I thought I'd read that sprouting the lentil increases the nutritional value but am not finding that info now. Do you just like sprouts or use them for some reason? 

For me it's just a different way of getting extra protein into salads, like making a yoghurt dressing.

Well done for ticking all the boxes!

Today - lots of work. I hope to manage a quick walk and a bit of yoga.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soror said:

A huge congrats on the boy!!! Do you have a name picked out??

Thank you! 

Well, after submitting a long list of possible names to my husband, he ruthlessly vetoed all of them except 2, lol.  One is his name (he's the II and this baby would be the III) and the other goes great with his/his dad's middle name.  I like the second option, because my husband's name is 1) very unusual and 2)in my mind belongs to him and it would be odd to me to have a baby called that.  BUT since his dad passed away when he was only like 6 I totally understand wanting to honor him.  And my husband's name does lend itself to a cute nickname for a baby.  I do think that we are both leaning toward the other name, though, and pairing it with my husband's middle name.  Gosh that was probably confusing.  ANYWAYS, my husband is kind of waffling and I'm dying for him to just make up his mind already, lol!  I had such an easy time naming Sebastian and Vincent so this drawn out process is driving me batty!  Once he expresses some opinion either way and we hash it out I'll report back.

Speaking of driving me batty, I can't wait to feel the baby move, but I found out that I have an anterior placenta (who knew there was such a thing?!) and that will act like a cushion and make it take longer for me to feel any movement.  GAH.

• Like 3