Menu

June 2020 - well-trained bodies

Laura Corin

12 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Ummm, well, I may have spoken too soon about that. It seems like we got a new TV/sound system, instead. 

I made the mistake of joking that, if only I could have a dedicated exercise room and a home theatre, I might never need to leave the house at all. 

My husband heard "home theatre" and decided that gave him an excuse to go buy stuff. So, his solution for weekend boredom was to watch movies on the new TV. It's enjoyable, but doesn't help a lot with my goal of trying to get him to spend more time outside of his recliner.

And thank you to @Matryoshka and everyone else who chimed in with reassurance.  In theory, I know that weight fluctuations are normal. In theory, I am supposed to be aiming at keeping myself within a five-pound range. However, after a lifetime of fighting my weight and repeatedly losing, I am not good at being chill about it. 

Anyway, I've done well for the last few days. My weight did drift back down over the next couple of days, which was nice. I did a big grocery order on Saturday, including a bunch of salad fixings, and we've been enjoying big salads regularly for either lunch or dinner. I did not do the virtual 5K over the weekend, but I did do an extra-long walk (4 miles, instead of my usual 3-ish) on Sunday and have exceeded my step goal by a satisfying amount every day for the last week or so. I'm considering increasing my goal again, since I don't seem to be having any trouble meeting the current one. 

As of my walk this evening, I am 80% done with my virtual walk of Hadrian's Wall. Starting to look around for another, similar challenge.

Well, now you have the theatre you need the exercise room too. Weight fluctuations can be very frustrating, even if they are expected with you just hitting your maintenance it is very understandable to be a bit worried. I'm glad it went back down for you so you don't have to continue to stress about it.

7 hours ago, SKL said:

Well, I got through June without missing a day of walking, which is pretty good considering how my June work schedule always is.

I am so bloated right now though.  Ugh.  I have started to eat more fruits/veggies, but I am still eating too much of the bad stuff.  Now that my mega work deadlines are mostly past, I hope I can do better.

I was thinking of maybe weighing myself about now, but with the bloating, I think I'll pass.

I am a little closer to my black belt.  I've been back to TKD classes for a few weeks (only 1x per week so far).  I want to increase the frequency as there's another mini belt test coming up.

Congrats on moving along towards your black belt and continuing your walking. Good idea to wait before you weigh, bloating can really shoot the weight up.

14 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Hi everybody!  Just a quick check in.  I'm happy to report that I've been swimming lately and it is SUCH great pregnancy exercise for me.  Even though I'm only 18 weeks, my lower back is already starting to ache and swimming loosens it up wonderfully.  I've also been getting walks in more regularly, eating well/almost like normal, and staying hydrated.  Since I still get woozy and nauseous if I overexert myself or get too hot, swimming and early morning walking is about as good as it's gonna get.

I've definitely got a baby bump now!  I think I'm turning out to be one of those who gains weight all over, unfortunately, but so far it hasn't been too bad, I don't think.  I am able to satisfy any unhealthy cravings with healthy substitutes, usually.  One of the many positives of living in the country--you can't just run over to Five Guys and grab a burger and a big bag of fries no matter how much you're craving it! 

This week my husband painted the carport walls where my workout area is and everything looks great out there!  I can't wait to get back to working out seriously after I recover from having the baby.

20200630_193607.jpg

Love the belly bump, happy to hear from you. Swimming and walking are great for you and the baby, I'm glad you are up to some exercise now, I know that has been hard for you.

23 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Finished 2 sets of my bodyweight circuit then did 2 Foundations of Yoga videos--Tree Pose and Staff Pose. I can't do Staff Pose very well--just feels like the muscles up the back of my legs are too short to sit at 90° with legs straight out in front. Need to work on that. I had another pound off on the scale this morning which is what I was hoping to see yesterday--maybe it was just a day late. Or maybe it's not really real yet. I do expect tomorrow will zig zag up a little, but hopefully not too much.

Thinking about some goals for July. Do you all set goals for yourselves?

Ya for another loss! 

Staff pose is surprisngly difficult for a lot of people, you wouldn't think it would be that hard to sit up straight but we don't do it a lot and we are often tight in the hamstrings.

I do set goals, usually, weekly, monthly, and yearly.  But as with anything things change and I adapt- like this year I planned obstacle course races- signed up for a Spartan and another- I can't do either b/c of COVID so I've been playing it by ear.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Hi everybody!  Just a quick check in.  I'm happy to report that I've been swimming lately and it is SUCH great pregnancy exercise for me.  Even though I'm only 18 weeks, my lower back is already starting to ache and swimming loosens it up wonderfully.  I've also been getting walks in more regularly, eating well/almost like normal, and staying hydrated.  Since I still get woozy and nauseous if I overexert myself or get too hot, swimming and early morning walking is about as good as it's gonna get.

I've definitely got a baby bump now!  I think I'm turning out to be one of those who gains weight all over, unfortunately, but so far it hasn't been too bad, I don't think.  I am able to satisfy any unhealthy cravings with healthy substitutes, usually.  One of the many positives of living in the country--you can't just run over to Five Guys and grab a burger and a big bag of fries no matter how much you're craving it! 

This week my husband painted the carport walls where my workout area is and everything looks great out there!  I can't wait to get back to working out seriously after I recover from having the baby.

20200630_193607.jpg

Thanks for checking in! You look amazing. So glad you are able to swim. It must be a great way to stay cool and active during the hot summer months down south. It can be an added burden to be pregnant through the summer months.

Where the weight gain happens on the body during pregnancy is so varied, and we have no control over it. One benefit of a more general increase could be lower chance of stretch marks, but who knows. I was more of a general increase in size and didn't get any stretch marks around the belly. I already had some in my thighs from adolescence, though. Don't want to miss out on that experience in life. 🤪

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soror said:

I do set goals, usually, weekly, monthly, and yearly.  But as with anything things change and I adapt- like this year I planned obstacle course races- signed up for a Spartan and another- I can't do either b/c of COVID so I've been playing it by ear.

I'm so bummed for you about the Spartan...boo! 

7 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Thanks for checking in! You look amazing. So glad you are able to swim. It must be a great way to stay cool and active during the hot summer months down south. It can be an added burden to be pregnant through the summer months.

Where the weight gain happens on the body during pregnancy is so varied, and we have no control over it. One benefit of a more general increase could be lower chance of stretch marks, but who knows. I was more of a general increase in size and didn't get any stretch marks around the belly. I already had some in my thighs from adolescence, though. Don't want to miss out on that experience in life. 🤪

Thank you!  Yes...boy has this pregnancy been an exercise in surrendering control!  Like every aspect of parenting, it's character-building, lol.  I have stretch marks from adolescence too.  So fun.  😛

• Like 2