Menu

June 2020 - well-trained bodies

Laura Corin

I'm just over here, living vicariously through all of you with access to a pool. I did a super early morning (thanks, insomnia) short upper arm strength workout followed by some cardio. We managed a short walk after breakfast, then I did a little weeding. Tonight will include taking care of our goats. 

Eggs for breakfast, as usual. Lunch was a ham and cheese sandwich with some sliced cucumber. Dinner will be quesadillas, I think. Pretty much anything is an improvement over the ice cream and chocolate bread pudding the kids had yesterday for dinner! (But they thought that was super fun.) Sadly, soon-to-be kid #5 doesn't like ice cream, or bread, so I didn't get to partake.

Hope everyone is having a good day!

• Like 5

Haven't been posting much, but I have been exercising!  Tuesday I did an OT workout that had about a zillion squats and lunges in all kinds of forms - weighted, unweighted, iso, pulsed, wall sit.  And there was a 'buy-out' option to do a 1-minute all-out (I did high knees) - except it was supposed to be instead of one of the rounds, not in addition to - which I did for the first two blocks then realized I had been doing a lot of extra work!  Then yesterday the OT template was for "Global Running Day" (who knew?) and included not one, but two 12-minute runs for distance, plus other exercises before, after, and in between.  I did them both, but did not manage to meet the goal of matching my speed from the 1st run on the 2nd - average was 0.1mph slower.  But that was over two miles with other exercise in between, and now my legs and glutes are dead.

I think I'm going to buy those Nordic poles.  I cannot get my heart rate up enough just walking outside (on the tread I can by setting inclines) - running does it but I worry about my knees.  @Laura Corin, it sounds like you can get your heart rate up even on flatter ground with the poles?  

Today is a strength day - mostly but not all upper body thank heavens - but I haven't done it yet.  I may call this a rest day and do it tomorrow...

Speaking of food, last night I made a new dish in attempt to figure out what the heck to do with all the rhubarb happily growing in my yard.  Rhubarb Beef - which had lemon, mint, parsley and saffron in addition to a lot of rhubarb.  It was delicious!  I swapped riced cauliflower for the suggested 'serve over rice' and that worked very well.  Leftovers tonight!

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

I think I'm going to buy those Nordic poles.  I cannot get my heart rate up enough just walking outside (on the tread I can by setting inclines) - running does it but I worry about my knees.  @Laura Corin, it sounds like you can get your heart rate up even on flatter ground with the poles?  

Yes. My resting heart rate is around 60, and on that walk I averaged 137 with 156 max. It's dead flat and the sand was firm: it's just the way that you drive yourself forward with the poles that engages the whole body and raises the heart rate.

Rhubarb beef? We were just given some rhubarb. It's not my favourite...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

Yes. My resting heart rate is around 60, and on that walk I averaged 137 with 156 max. It's dead flat and the sand was firm: it's just the way that you drive yourself forward with the poles that engages the whole body and raises the heart rate.

Rhubarb beef? We were just given some rhubarb. It's not my favourite...

I am also not a big rhubarb fan, so I was looking for something really different to do with it (like, not strawberry rhubarb somethingorother).  The lemon and mint add an interesting dimension.  I think this might be my go-to rhubarb recipe (I have some large rhubarb plants in the back yard that many years I have not even bothered doing anything with, but that seems a waste...).

Here's the recipe, if you'd like, it's also nice and easy to make.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, barnwife said:

I'm just over here, living vicariously through all of you with access to a pool. I did a super early morning (thanks, insomnia) short upper arm strength workout followed by some cardio. We managed a short walk after breakfast, then I did a little weeding. Tonight will include taking care of our goats. 

Eggs for breakfast, as usual. Lunch was a ham and cheese sandwich with some sliced cucumber. Dinner will be quesadillas, I think. Pretty much anything is an improvement over the ice cream and chocolate bread pudding the kids had yesterday for dinner! (But they thought that was super fun.) Sadly, soon-to-be kid #5 doesn't like ice cream, or bread, so I didn't get to partake.

Hope everyone is having a good day!

Evidently our pool is not open yet either but their hoping for the 15th, ironically not because of COVID but because a part for the pool. Sounds like you stayed active.

14 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Haven't been posting much, but I have been exercising!  Tuesday I did an OT workout that had about a zillion squats and lunges in all kinds of forms - weighted, unweighted, iso, pulsed, wall sit.  And there was a 'buy-out' option to do a 1-minute all-out (I did high knees) - except it was supposed to be instead of one of the rounds, not in addition to - which I did for the first two blocks then realized I had been doing a lot of extra work!  Then yesterday the OT template was for "Global Running Day" (who knew?) and included not one, but two 12-minute runs for distance, plus other exercises before, after, and in between.  I did them both, but did not manage to meet the goal of matching my speed from the 1st run on the 2nd - average was 0.1mph slower.  But that was over two miles with other exercise in between, and now my legs and glutes are dead.

Today is a strength day - mostly but not all upper body thank heavens - but I haven't done it yet.  I may call this a rest day and do it tomorrow...

Speaking of food, last night I made a new dish in attempt to figure out what the heck to do with all the rhubarb happily growing in my yard.  Rhubarb Beef - which had lemon, mint, parsley and saffron in addition to a lot of rhubarb.  It was delicious!  I swapped riced cauliflower for the suggested 'serve over rice' and that worked very well.  Leftovers tonight!

Hmm, interesting combo and awesome work running.

15 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

So, my fitbit never updated.  I am going to have to set it to track manually.   But yeah, I think I was down and back twice in each 5 minute and if each length is 25m (I think it is) then each lap is 50m, so for the 6 laps, that would be 300m.  

I rest a good half minute or so between lengths, which is probably why my thing didn't track automatically. I drift when I don't have goggles unless I am doing breast stroke, so that's what I was doing last night.  

Good job getting the swimming done.

17 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

@wintermom Lovely bunny picture. I am against bunnies now though, guarding my patio garden like a hawk. I never even knew we had that many bunnies around.

@Laura Corin Glad you enjoyed your Nordic Walk on the beach. Yoga at sunset ?? So lovely.

@soror Glad you are sleeping better. and longer. Sorry about the wait for DH. Really hope he gets the job. Sorry about the stress, but be gentle on yourself.

DH and I decided to get serious about exercise with a plan. So we did a boot camp yesterday evening and today morning. I feel sore but mood wise and accomplishment wish, felt a lot better. Tomorrow and Saturday I am scheduled to swim. Anticipation lifted up my mood as well. DS rose early today to play because the evenings are getting hot, but neither DH nor I could play long, we were sore Tomorrow I swim, so going to conserve energy for that. Perhaps an indoor game of pingpong. Waiting for the elliptical. Went to the Chinese market today and got loads of vegetables that I was missing, so that was a picker upper too. So lots of positives. 

Have a good lady ladies !!

Good going getting a schedule made and getting yummy veggies.

21 hours ago, wintermom said:

I'm playing some tennis today, then going for a bike ride with a friend. Just completed my yoga and push-ups. I also have a teleconference with a health agency I completed an evaluation for last year. I'm hoping to do another one for them this year.

This little guy was in my backyard this morning. He was joined by a sibling, and they ran around the yard chasing each other. Then a third bunny came in and they needed more space to run around. So they ran across the street to run in the neighbour's yard, and then across another street to another yard. Crazy bunnies. 😂  That was my 'springwatch' for the day.

IMG_20200604_084111506.jpg

How cute, that looks bigger than the ones we have here, ours are usually too fast to get a pic. How did the call go?

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

I slept well last night, it is good improvement over last month at this time. I just have to remember to start my progesterone a few days earlier and will be talking to dr. about maybe a smaller dose the rest of the month.

I need to do more mowing this am before more rain and plenty more tasks. I've just been trying to get at least one thing done a day and the basics. I'm beginning to fall in that summer vaca hole and having a hard time motivating.

breakfast: homemade turkey sausage w/ eggs and roasted sweet potatoes and onions

lunch: leftover beef stir fry w/ broccoli, onions, cauliflower, bell peppers, asaparagus brown rice

dinner: gf cauliflower crust pizza (store bought found on mark down)

snack: orange; almond butter brownie, carrot + cheese

I'm getting a new produce box today and have used all the last except potatoes, onions, and sweet potatoes thankfully they last (I'd already bought so much earlier in the week it is impressive we got through so much).

some yoga and strength work today.

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

@soror  Glad you are sleeping better. My sleep was slow to start last night as our temps suddenly warmed up. Had to turn the a/c back on again. Enjoy your yoga, strength work and yard work. 

My teleconference went very well. It was really good to get my teeth into a new project. I'm also beefing up the homeschool program for my ds as he transitions into high school. So far it's going very well, though it's much more time consuming for me. The school year is still going for ds, and my plan is to continue through July. My ds 16 is taking an on-line summer course, so we'll keep him company in July. Besides, we're not doing anything else beside yard and house work. 😉

Yesterday's tennis and bike ride were both great! I was very tired and had sore legs afterwards. Some restorative yoga seemed to have helped immensely, though. I feel great today. I'm hoping to meet a friend for a hike. There will also be yoga and push-ups on the agenda, of course! 

Quick question: Anyone have and use padded cycling shorts? I received a used pair from a friend and hadn't tried them out much. I wore them yesterday on my ride and it made a huge difference in my seat comfort! 

• Like 2

Got an early walk in with the dog then dropped her off and remembered to grab my hand weights to walk a bit more. 

Just finished a treadmill walk/run as it started to pour outside; very grateful that I can work out inside. 

Breakfast - tried a local place's pressed vegetable juice and a bar - figured I needed the carbs for my 40 minutes treadmill workout - glad I had that! 

Lunch - eggs and sausage and avocado 

Dinner - ?? salad and something else 

Getting ready to make some creamy potato soup for the DD recovering from wisdom teeth surgery. Luckily I won't be tempted to eat it since it is loaded with dairy which I can't eat at all. But man, I remember how good it is! Perfect on this stormy day. Hoping we can share the last ripe avocado later. 

• Like 1

I'm just gonna randomly check in after a couple months of silence.

I have been walking a minimum of 2 miles (hilly roads/paths) every day for over 2.5 months.  So far I have not missed one day since "lockdown."  Rain, snow, heat, dead of night.  I hope it continues for a very long time!

The results are coming slowly (I am 53 after all).  I haven't weighed myself, but clothes are fitting better.  My stamina and strength have definitely improved.  And, I haven't murdered my kids, LOL, so mental health must be benefiting.

Problem is, I can't seem to do all the things I want/need to do most days.  Without a real routine, I am bad at prioritizing and getting things done.  Theoretically it should not be that difficult to do yoga, walking, and TKD practice every day.  But most days I don't hit all three.  I also haven't been eating great.  Really need to get back into the habit of eating salads.

Speaking of TKD, the dojang has opened again.  They are doing most things other than sparring (I kinda hate sparring anyway).  I signed up for a belt test when they were still online, but couldn't figure out how to sign in on time, so hopefully I can get that done in person soon.  I am still hoping to qualify for the next black belt test, whenever that is.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, SKL said:

I'm just gonna randomly check in after a couple months of silence.

I have been walking a minimum of 2 miles (hilly roads/paths) every day for over 2.5 months.  So far I have not missed one day since "lockdown."  Rain, snow, heat, dead of night.  I hope it continues for a very long time!

The results are coming slowly (I am 53 after all).  I haven't weighed myself, but clothes are fitting better.  My stamina and strength have definitely improved.  And, I haven't murdered my kids, LOL, so mental health must be benefiting.

Problem is, I can't seem to do all the things I want/need to do most days.  Without a real routine, I am bad at prioritizing and getting things done.  Theoretically it should not be that difficult to do yoga, walking, and TKD practice every day.  But most days I don't hit all three.  I also haven't been eating great.  Really need to get back into the habit of eating salads.

Speaking of TKD, the dojang has opened again.  They are doing most things other than sparring (I kinda hate sparring anyway).  I signed up for a belt test when they were still online, but couldn't figure out how to sign in on time, so hopefully I can get that done in person soon.  I am still hoping to qualify for the next black belt test, whenever that is.

Great to see you again! That's awesome you are keeping up with the daily walking through all weather conditions. Congratulations with getting within reach of your TKD blackbelt! That is huge! 

Not sure if you're looking for suggestions about fitting in all three activities daily. Sounds like you're doing pretty amazing already. Here's what I've found helpful when I'm busy:

- Make a brief list of the 3 activities, then add a note about what the focus of each activity will be that day, as well as the time duration. Also, see how the three activities fit together for the day and try to capitalize on similarities, or eliminate too much stress on one body region. Then figure out when throughout the day each activity fits best according to you preference and the other tasks/weather of the day. 

Most important: perfection isn't required. Just doing a little bit every day/second day is fine. Success tends to breed more success. As you have been really good about daily walks through every kind of weather, you realize that it IS possible. Then as you figure out how to fit a little daily yoga (or simply some stretching), you'll see that this is possible, too.  I've found that often, I am my own worst enemy and killer of my potential. I'll be tired or sore and let myself drop an activity. When I do push through and do at least part of a work-out, I usually feel a lot happier with myself both mentally and physically.

• Like 1

@soror glad to hear about the sleep.

@wintermom I can hear your excitement about the new project

@lmrich hooray for indoor exercise.  I managed a brisk walk at lunchtime but I'm heading off now to do some yoga as it rains outside.

@SKL well done on the walking - doing a bit every day is more important than getting everything done.  Would alternating days make you feel that you were succeeding, rather than failing to achieve everything every day?  Good luck for the belt.

Irritating day: I had to tell some people at work that I may (or may not) have made a mistake.  There's no way to know, but I had to confess just in case, so that a student isn't accidentally blamed.  It didn't feel good.  Then the people we are trying to buy a house from attempted to force us to move before it's legal to do so...  It's possible that one more slice of buttered sourdough with Marmite was consumed than was strictly necessary.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

Yesterday's tennis and bike ride were both great! I was very tired and had sore legs afterwards. Some restorative yoga seemed to have helped immensely, though. I feel great today. I'm hoping to meet a friend for a hike. There will also be yoga and push-ups on the agenda, of course! 

Quick question: Anyone have and use padded cycling shorts? I received a used pair from a friend and hadn't tried them out much. I wore them yesterday on my ride and it made a huge difference in my seat comfort! 

I feel you on the sore legs!  Mine are a bit better today after I did decide to take yesterday off.  But today is so.humid. and our AC is still broken.  I'm going to try for this evening when hopefully things cool down?  Don't want to take another day off.

Padded bike shorts: I have a pair from waay back when I was skinny that I never gave away in the hopes that I'd fit in them again - and I think I probably do!  I am hoping to get a bike ride in with dh sometime soon; I should remember to try to wear them.  I have noticed that my butt gets more sore doing things now that I have... less natural padding, lol.  Had to buy a gel seat for rowing last year...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

@lmrich hooray for indoor exercise.  I managed a brisk walk at lunchtime but I'm heading off now to do some yoga as it rains outside.

@SKL well done on the walking - doing a bit every day is more important than getting everything done.  Would alternating days make you feel that you were succeeding, rather than failing to achieve everything every day?  Good luck for the belt.

Irritating day: I had to tell some people at work that I may (or may not) have made a mistake.  There's no way to know, but I had to confess just in case, so that a student isn't accidentally blamed.  It didn't feel good.  Then the people we are trying to buy a house from attempted to force us to move before it's legal to do so...  It's possible that one more slice of buttered sourdough with Marmite was consumed than was strictly necessary.

That must be frustrating dealing with so many different people and regulations trying to navigate through your move. Eat all the Marmite you desire - you could probably venture into some chocolate, too. 😉  I love your integrity and honesty at your work. It's certainly not easy, but having a heart for the student at a university is wonderful. Not everyone does. 

I'm very excited about a 'work' project, which is volunteer work but great experience for my resume. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

@MatryoshkaYour recipe for rhubarb and beef intrigues me. I know all the flavors except that of rhubarb. Never had it. What is it exactly ? A veggie ? A weird fruit ? I only know people make pies out of it. Glad you are working out. 

Rhubarb is a very weird plant.  Botanically I guess it would be a vegetable (it is the stalk of a plant, like celery is), but it is usually eaten in places you'd normally put fruit, like pies and crumbles.  It has huuuge leaves, but they are actually poisonous.  Fortunately they grow at the end of the stalk, not on the sides like kale or chard, so they're easy to lop off in their entirety.  The fruiting body of the plant rises up on a large, leafless stalk from the copious leaves in mid-summer and looks a bit like an alien has landed, and as far as I know is never eaten.

It is very sour, which I guess is why people mix it with sugar and other fruit, like strawberries, to get kind of a sweet/sour vibe going on.  The rhubarb beef has no sugar, and has a bit of lemon to boot (more sour), but I didn't mind the sourness of the dish at all, and I'm not even a huge 'sour' fan.  The mint is an interesting mix-in.

Happy you've been able to get back to swimming!

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

@MatryoshkaYour recipe for rhubarb and beef intrigues me. I know all the flavors except that of rhubarb. Never had it. What is it exactly ? A veggie ? A weird fruit ? I only know people make pies out of it. Glad you are working out. 

@SKL Slow and steady and fitness as a way of life is what I am learning. Something is better than nothing.

@soror  Glad you are sleeping well. You always keep moving so that is always inspiring.

@wintermom Lovely that you have a new project. About padded shorts, I have a friend who is a cyclist and he said and I quote "Looks like I am wearing a diaper, but very comfortable ride"

@lmrich Indoor exercise is good. Any interesting cities you "visited" on your treadmill ? 

@Laura Corin  I hate that someone irritated you. 😒 I love that your comfort food is marmite of all the interesting foods you consume. 😁

I swam today for a long time. Our gym has half an hour slots now, initially it was booked,  I was told that I could swim longer as people are not able to swim for long and they leave part way. I did not count laps, but I know it was one of the best swim days ever. I felt happy and conflicted. Happy because I never considered myself a strong swimmer or someone with technique, but like the saying goes, if you keep at something you do get better. I just never thought I had endurance to swim long, but apparently I do. I am conflicted because I was someone who learned swimming in my 20s, had to overcome so much just to swim. There are so many people at my former level in my gym. Adults who swim in the kiddie pool, women especially older who walk in the wave pool, then  swim half way maybe even 10m or the length of the pool once. They go back and forth. They are so committed to exercise and swimming even if they are not strong swimmers. I hate that they cannot do that now as everything is closed. This really sucks. But I personally felt such as sense of accomplishment and gratitude towards my friend's dad who taught me when I would panic in the water. Anyway, lots of thoughts on fitness and how it goes beyond a toned body or ability. It is the ones who try and try and try who get the most out of it I feel.  I am sore today but happy.

Happy weekend ! 

So happy for you to get to swim. Persistence does pay off, you are right. I can't make it far at all swimming, it wears me out. I've rarely even tried, I suck so bad it is discouragng. It is amazing you just kept at it, despite the struggles.

17 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm sorry, that stinks, really stinks. I hope you get a reprieve from the crazyness and a relaxing weekend.

20 hours ago, wintermom said:

@soror  Glad you are sleeping better. My sleep was slow to start last night as our temps suddenly warmed up. Had to turn the a/c back on again. Enjoy your yoga, strength work and yard work. 

My teleconference went very well. It was really good to get my teeth into a new project. I'm also beefing up the homeschool program for my ds as he transitions into high school. So far it's going very well, though it's much more time consuming for me. The school year is still going for ds, and my plan is to continue through July. My ds 16 is taking an on-line summer course, so we'll keep him company in July. Besides, we're not doing anything else beside yard and house work. 😉

So do you start soon on the project? 

I've never had padded shorts but have had a padded seat that really helps.

@SKL Congrats keeping with the walking and slimming down, those are great accomplishments. I love wintermom's list, how can you pare down what you want to do or stack it on to something else?

• Like 2

Man, I feel like a lazy slob this week. I didn't get much done yesterday, again as the rain came in way early.

AFter I finished teaching I had to head straight to pick up my produce box (they came in early) by the time I made it home it was starting to rain so I couldn't mow, then it came a huge storm.

I got a small bit of school planning work done but that is about it. 

I've got 1 more week off then it is 2 weeks of swim lessons and then starting back to hs'ing, EEk. 

I've got to make my list and prioritize what it is I want to get done as I don't think I can do it all with the time I have left. Swim lessons don't take all day but by the time we make it back home it is lunch time and then the hottest part of the day, so I'll only have a bit of time beforehand with my teaching in the am and the drive there.

I did do my yoga and strength work in the afternoon.

Today is a new day. I will be doing a bit of yoga and strength work, today regressions as yesterday was progressions.

We are digging outside, that will make up for my slacking.

My appetite has been decreasing, thankfully. Meals are trending smaller with less/smaller snacks which is needed after the previous week of eating more. I have however have been slacking on greens and beans and not hitting them every day :(. I need to make sure I buy more greens at the store and make sure my lunch has beans every day.

breakfast:  oatmeal w/ blueberries, flax, and pecans; gf whole grain toast- sm. omlette w/ bell pepper

lunch:  salad- w/turkey, edemame, tomato, red onion, mandarin oranges, slided almonds/peanuts & baked potato

desert: almond butter blondies; snack: cuties + pumpkin seeds? Depends on how hard we work.

dinner:  chicken chile (chicken, spinach, white beans, onions, salse verde, seasonings)

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, soror said:

So do you start soon on the project? 

I've never had padded shorts but have had a padded seat that really helps.

Yes, dh and I are in the beginning stages of designing the evaluation. We actually started talking with the agency last Oct, but then I got sick and ds got his concussion, so we didn't move forward. Then the lockdown occurred. A lot has changed about the program during the lockdown, and while some aspects of the program will gradually return to 'normal,' some aspects of the virtual meetings with clients will probably be kept. A similar pattern is sure to follow with a lot of services in the world. 

How long has your break from homeschooling been this spring? Do you take it earlier than the regular school year for a specific reason? 

Hope the swimming lessons go well and the weather allows you to get your outside projects completed. 

As far as the term "lazy blob" goes, it's pretty relative and based on our expectations. I often feel lazy if I haven't accomplished what I normally do or what I've imagined I could do. Usually there was some reason beyond my desire or hopes that prevented me not completing the tasks. Sounds like this is the case with you. Try not to beat yourself up too much. You've been completing a ton of amazing things on the outside of you house and yard this spring without hiring any outside help. That's tough to do. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Yes, dh and I are in the beginning stages of designing the evaluation. We actually started talking with the agency last Oct, but then I got sick and ds got his concussion, so we didn't move forward. Then the lockdown occurred. A lot has changed about the program during the lockdown, and while some aspects of the program will gradually return to 'normal,' some aspects of the virtual meetings with clients will probably be kept. A similar pattern is sure to follow with a lot of services in the world. 

How long has your break from homeschooling been this spring? Do you take it earlier than the regular school year for a specific reason? 

Hope the swimming lessons go well and the weather allows you to get your outside projects completed. 

As far as the term "lazy blob" goes, it's pretty relative and based on our expectations. I often feel lazy if I haven't accomplished what I normally do or what I've imagined I could do. Usually there was some reason beyond my desire or hopes that prevented me not completing the tasks. Sounds like this is the case with you. Try not to beat yourself up too much. You've been completing a ton of amazing things on the outside of you house and yard this spring without hiring any outside help. That's tough to do. 

So, dh will do this with you??

We finished school around mid-April. We start and end early because summer is pretty miserably hot here. I start to lose the motivation to get things done anyway so we might as well school. In the spring, the weather is so much nicer we'd whether have off to do things when we want to be outside. I imagine we'll try to do little projects during the early hours some and try to school during the middle of the day when it is the hottest.

Lazy is relative! I did get up at 5 to teach, I teach 6 days a week, that is something.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, soror said:

So, dh will do this with you??

We finished school around mid-April. We start and end early because summer is pretty miserably hot here. I start to lose the motivation to get things done anyway so we might as well school. In the spring, the weather is so much nicer we'd whether have off to do things when we want to be outside. I imagine we'll try to do little projects during the early hours some and try to school during the middle of the day when it is the hottest.

Lazy is relative! I did get up at 5 to teach, I teach 6 days a week, that is something.

You are definitely NOT lazy! getting up at 5am everyday would kill me. You're a hero! 😉  

Dh is helping with the evaluation for the statistical analyses, as it's his specialty. He also wants to get a little experience in the health sector. I love doing the qualitative data collection and analysis.  

Your summer homeschool strategy sounds wonderful, especially as you're already up. 

• Like 2

I forgot that I have another photo for you all from my hike on Friday. This little guy is so well camoflaged that he's very difficult to see. It's a challenge for you to find this small toad. A clue: check near the bend in the left branch of the twig.  I couldn't actually see him as I was taking the photo. I just had to aim at the twig. 😉

IMG_20200605_142649750.jpg

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

@wintermom I never would have found him without the clue!

@soror I'm the lazy one : more or less empty nest, strict work hours, retired husband who largely runs the house...

Busy today - taxiiing, shopping, cutting hair, cooking. I managed 18 minutes of yoga, and that's it. Maybe NW tomorrow, or maybe just garden work.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

@wintermom I never would have found him without the clue!

@soror I'm the lazy one : more or less empty nest, strict work hours, retired husband who largely runs the house...

Busy today - taxiiing, shopping, cutting hair, cooking. I managed 18 minutes of yoga, and that's it. Maybe NW tomorrow, or maybe just garden work.

LOL, following along to your days I'd say you are far from lazy!

19 hours ago, wintermom said:

Dh and I played some lovely doubles tennis with friends. I still have to do my yoga and push-ups, and then I'll try to get in a short walk or bike ride. Don't want to overdo it as I'm playing tennis tomorrow morning. I need to space it out. 😉 

Did you manage not to overdo it??

I had a very productive day. We got 1 hole dug and part of another one, we hope to finish the one this am and do the last one this pm. It is brutal work in our ground. Picking and then shoveling. I got to operate the tractor some as trying to guide the auger it was beyond my strength to hold in parts, it was swinging me like a rag doll and dh had to guide it. We'll be going out early to hit it before the heat gets so bad (it is mid 90s today w/ humidity- not fun working).

We got a nap in the afternoon and I then a solid chunk of school planning done while dh worked on his resume. I'll only be teaching 2 this year for the first time in 8-9 years. 

In not so great news- my food intake has been trending down but weight has been trending up. Hormones, soreness retention, bloating IDK but I'm not amused. 

Today is a new day, I'm looking at recipes this morning, I'd really wanted to try some new things but I tend to get stuck in a rut making the same things so I'm currently perusing recipes for my upcoming menu plan.

Food-

breakfast- huevos rancheros (first time trying this but sounded good to me- I've not told dh what were trying we'll see what he thinks)

lunch- quinoa salad (quinoa, cabbage, carrot, edamame, sliced almonds, homemade dressing)

dinner- TBD

• Like 3

1 hour ago, soror said:

LOL, following along to your days I'd say you are far from lazy!

Did you manage not to overdo it??

I had a very productive day. We got 1 hole dug and part of another one, we hope to finish the one this am and do the last one this pm. It is brutal work in our ground. Picking and then shoveling. I got to operate the tractor some as trying to guide the auger it was beyond my strength to hold in parts, it was swinging me like a rag doll and dh had to guide it. We'll be going out early to hit it before the heat gets so bad (it is mid 90s today w/ humidity- not fun working).

We got a nap in the afternoon and I then a solid chunk of school planning done while dh worked on his resume. I'll only be teaching 2 this year for the first time in 8-9 years. 

In not so great news- my food intake has been trending down but weight has been trending up. Hormones, soreness retention, bloating IDK but I'm not amused. 

Today is a new day, I'm looking at recipes this morning, I'd really wanted to try some new things but I tend to get stuck in a rut making the same things so I'm currently perusing recipes for my upcoming menu plan.

Food-

breakfast- huevos rancheros (first time trying this but sounded good to me- I've not told dh what were trying we'll see what he thinks)

lunch- quinoa salad (quinoa, cabbage, carrot, edamame, sliced almonds, homemade dressing)

dinner- TBD

I agree with you, @Laura Corin is far from lazy. Just hearing about the wonderful meals she is making, the walking, gardening and the yoga all add up to high productivity. Then add in the full-time job. I'm the time waster in comparison. 

I did manage to avoid overdoing it. Just kept the walks short and relaxing.

Sounds like some serious work you are doing with the picking, digging and tractor use. All the best getting the last one completed today!

I'm in exactly the same boat with weight slowly sliding upwards. I'm sure there is some hormone, a little inflammation, and hopefully some increase in muscle mass. My eating is probably increasing, though. It's really strange. This is the second year in a row that I've increased weight in the summer and decreased in the fall. Before that it was always the reverse. 

• Like 2

It's a repeat of yesterday with dh and I are playing doubles tennis, me doing my yoga and push-ups, and dd and I taking the dog for a couple relaxing walks in the neighbourhood. 

I've added rolled oats back into breakfast routine. Probably shouldn't have removed them in the first place. They seem to be closely linked to my regular bowel activity. I feel like an old lady. 😂

• Like 2

Yesterday was a nice day for exercise (not a great diet day). 

I finished a 45 gentle walk with my hand weights - so humid. Will do a jog/walk on the treadmill to keep up with my treadmill program and complete an abs workout. 

Breakfast - oatmeal with berries and peaches and a scoop of collagen powder 

lunch - peaches and yogurt parfait (need to eat these amazing peaches up) maybe eggs on the side if I am hungry. 

snack - probably more peaches! 

dinner - salad and chicken 

I sure wish peaches would not all ripen at the exact same time. I went from have no peaches ready to 12 being perfect and then they will be bad in about another day. The dd who loves peaches so much is still recovering from wisdom teeth surgery so I have been able to make her peach sorbet. She so wants to take a bite of a juicy peach. Nothing better than a fresh peach!!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, wintermom said:

It's a repeat of yesterday with dh and I are playing doubles tennis, me doing my yoga and push-ups, and dd and I taking the dog for a couple relaxing walks in the neighbourhood. 

I've added rolled oats back into breakfast routine. Probably shouldn't have removed them in the first place. They seem to be closely linked to my regular bowel activity. I feel like an old lady. 😂

Have fun today! I hope to be kick ass 'old' ladies like you and Laura 🙂

43 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I agree with you, @Laura Corin is far from lazy. Just hearing about the wonderful meals she is making, the walking, gardening and the yoga all add up to high productivity. Then add in the full-time job. I'm the time waster in comparison. 

I did manage to avoid overdoing it. Just kept the walks short and relaxing.

Sounds like some serious work you are doing with the picking, digging and tractor use. All the best getting the last one completed today!

I'm in exactly the same boat with weight slowly sliding upwards. I'm sure there is some hormone, a little inflammation, and hopefully some increase in muscle mass. My eating is probably increasing, though. It's really strange. This is the second year in a row that I've increased weight in the summer and decreased in the fall. Before that it was always the reverse. 

I have to fight weight gain in the fall so I don't need to be inching up now, I usually lose in the winter. I did too this winter but with hormone issues in the spring things have been a fight since then. I need to reconsider what I'm doing.

18 minutes ago, lmrich said:

Yesterday was a nice day for exercise (not a great diet day). 

I finished a 45 gentle walk with my hand weights - so humid. Will do a jog/walk on the treadmill to keep up with my treadmill program and complete an abs workout. 

Breakfast - oatmeal with berries and peaches and a scoop of collagen powder 

lunch - peaches and yogurt parfait (need to eat these amazing peaches up) maybe eggs on the side if I am hungry. 

snack - probably more peaches! 

dinner - salad and chicken 

I sure wish peaches would not all ripen at the exact same time. I went from have no peaches ready to 12 being perfect and then they will be bad in about another day. The dd who loves peaches so much is still recovering from wisdom teeth surgery so I have been able to make her peach sorbet. She so wants to take a bite of a juicy peach. Nothing better than a fresh peach!!

OH, I love, love, love fresh peaches, ours aren't ripe yet here.

• Like 1

Dh and I were out for more digging by 6:30 (my one day to sleep in but when you're used to getting up sleeping in is hard- aiming for a nap today). We've still not quite finished the hole but we're getting close. Dh's hands are killing him and he can't stand me digging without him so I'm on break too.

I had my huevos rancheros and it was really good and satisfying. I did yellow corn tortillas, chipolte black beans (cooked in my instant pot and rough mashed), store bough salsa heated, fried eggs, and a sprinkle of feta. I wish I wasn't out of salsa verde as I think it would have been a good contrast, good way to get in beans for breakfast- gets my fiber and protein in. Very nice and hearty, especially good when working so hard this morning.

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, soror said:

Dh and I were out for more digging by 6:30 (my one day to sleep in but when you're used to getting up sleeping in is hard- aiming for a nap today). We've still not quite finished the hole but we're getting close. Dh's hands are killing him and he can't stand me digging without him so I'm on break too.

I had my huevos rancheros and it was really good and satisfying. I did yellow corn tortillas, chipolte black beans (cooked in my instant pot and rough mashed), store bough salsa heated, fried eggs, and a sprinkle of feta. I wish I wasn't out of salsa verde as I think it would have been a good contrast, good way to get in beans for breakfast- gets my fiber and protein in. Very nice and hearty, especially good when working so hard this morning.

The huevos rancheros sound delicious. I've never seen or even heard of this dish. I'm very tempted to try it out, as I enjoy all the ingredients. Do you use a recipe, or just wing it yourself?

Enjoy your nap today. You've definitely earned it! This 'kick ass old lady' will probably take a nap as well. I was pretty much wrecked in the last set of tennis today. I'm don't think I quite ready for back-to-back tennis this early in the season. 😉

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

The huevos rancheros sound delicious. I've never seen or even heard of this dish. I'm very tempted to try it out, as I enjoy all the ingredients. Do you use a recipe, or just wing it yourself?

Enjoy your nap today. You've definitely earned it! This 'kick ass old lady' will probably take a nap as well. I was pretty much wrecked in the last set of tennis today. I'm don't think I quite ready for back-to-back tennis this early in the season. 😉

My nap was great, hope you get one too. 

I looked at a few different recipes and them used what I had on hand and sounded good. Some like refried beans, some black. I had black beans I had frozen and prefer them so used those. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Ladies, let us get something clear if you call yourself lazy after digging ditches @soror and the way you exercise and all you do @Laura Corin people like me need to find to word to describe what we do on a daily basis. 

@soror About swimming, it is the only thing I did for years, so endurance came as a side effect. Swimming to me was always unapproachable because it looked like it only had glamorous people with gorgeous bodies like on Baywatch who showed a lot of skin or olympic swimmers who were so graceful and beautiful as they swam. not someone like me who had an imperfect body and modesty issues. I  love it so much because it directly relates to the people I encountered and the experiences I had because everything I assumed about it was not true. In my gym especially, I have women who are older, walk in the wave pool then swim in the kiddie pool for a while. They go back and forth. Their bodies are not toned, they are not young, their skills and technique is more on the terrible side, but they persist. And that is what I appreciate most because it made me a better swimmer looking at them without me setting forth to do anything. Most of them swim in pants or shorts, nothing like the glamorous bikinis I assumed you had to wear. I feel happy when I swim which is not something I could say for any exercise in a gym. I have issues with even squats. I cannot follow direction from videos, I have bad posture. But in a pool, even klutz me who lane drifts constantly with bad technique can swim and keep up and build endurance. I have never found anything else that fits me so well and I am most surprised of all. That is the reason I go to swim during COVID when we social distance so much and get grocery delivery. It gives me something which no other exercise does and I cannot put a value on it. Sorry for the gushing. I think we all need to find that one thing in fitness especially that speaks to us and I think each of you ladies have it if I am not mistaken.

@happysmileylady Glad you swam.

@wintermom You are a wonderful photographer and thank you for sharing your photos. 

It's really interesting how our preconceived ideas about an activity can be such a hurdle and also sometimes completely wrong. I had a similar experience with martial arts, in that I was curious but also completely intimidated by the whole mystique around these activities. When my dh met a Taekwon-do instructor at a meeting and the instructor invited us both to come and try one of his classes, dh and I were both hooked from that moment. You've had more mountains to climb with swimming, but often just getting out there and trying an activity for the first time is the biggest step.

Having tried out an activity in our youth can often make it much easier to have the confidence to return to that activity as an adult. This is how it was with tennis for my dh and I. We had both played a little bit for fun as teens, and about 7 years ago we were asked to play with friends from church. It sparked a passion for the sport that neither of us had before. I've tried hard to expose my dc to a large variety of sports and recreational activities while growing up. It will be neat to see what passions develop as they become adults.

• Like 2

Laying this out so it gets done: housework this morning; this afternoon weeding, possibly for the last time in this garden, so a good few hours. Yoga before, I hope.

Managed it all, although the yoga wasn't until just before bedtime. I'm quite sore from three hours of weeding. Which reinforces the decision to move to somewhere with a smaller garden.

Today was our 28th wedding anniversary. We were married among the redwoods in Northern California. Husband cooked some very good trout for supper.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Managed it all, although the yoga wasn't until just before bedtime. I'm quite sore from three hours of weeding. Which reinforces the decision to move to somewhere with a smaller garden.

Today was our 28th wedding anniversary. We were married among the redwoods in Northern California. Husband cooked some very good trout for supper.

Happy Anniversary!! That is definitely lovely that you both have been able to share your love of nature right from the beginning. 😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First, happy anniversary! That's certainly a beautiful location for a wedding!

Also, 3 hours of weeding would do me in these days, so I officially declare you a superwoman! I managed some cardio and a 5 minute arm workout today. But that was probably offset by the chocolate I ate...I can always make better food decisions tomorrow, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

Very true.

Swimming, growing up to me was associated with rich people like actors because they had to learn to swim as part of a movie  role or the only pools were in hotels where westerners routinely used it. It is not a skill emphasized as a child or even taught generally. Now the whole environment is different even in my native country and pools abound as amenities in master planned communities with not one but many pools available. So lots of adults learning to swim and they in turn see to it their kids learn swimming. It is not an elite thing any more but more a middle class kid type thing and more accessible which is a good thing.

The idea of fitness itself has changed. Gyms abound now. When we were growing up, the idea that someone would pay to get exercise was completely mind boggling. We played on the streets as kids. Street Cricket, badminton, football (soccer) , volleyball, Kho Kho  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kho_kho) and Kabbadi (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabaddi) even in school for PE classes. Now everything is much more streamlined in schools exercise wise and play wise. Once puberty hit, girls were restrained from going out and playing much so it pretty much ended any fitness in my case as a child. Now it is definitely not so for girls like my niece even in my native country. 

DH and I and even many parents in my native country among our family try to expose our kids to different physical activities and play too. My nephew in my native country for instance goes for skating classes, a local park has a skating rink in cement. Soccer camps. These would have been unthinkable in my time. So I really love that fitness has evolved and thought of as necessary and something worthwhile even as kids. It is definitely helps in having to fight against something as an adult just to try something. 

That is amazing and wonderful news that there has been this big a cultural shift in such a short time period. Kind of sad that in North America the opposite is happening, with youth obesity increasing at alarming speed largely due to inactivity. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, barnwife said:

I managed some cardio and a 5 minute arm workout today. But that was probably offset by the chocolate I ate...I can always make better food decisions tomorrow, right?

Absolutely.  And thanks for the good wishes.  The wedding was at the B&B below, and we went to Monterey Bay Aquarium for our one-day honeymoon:

https://www.fairviewmanor.com/

I was thinking this morning (I'm sore from weeding, and am fitting in lots of stretches): when we moved into this house in Scotland I was 45; I'm now 57.  I'm stronger and more supple than I was 12 years ago, but my body - it seems - can't cope with the amount of repetitive movement that it could.  12 years ago, I would have ended a day of weeding with a stiff back, but the next day I would have stretched out the stiffness and been fine.  Today my back is definitely sore rather than stiff after yesterday's weeding.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.  I will probably do some gentle yoga at lunchtime and take a moderate walk after work through the woods.  I will try out my new anti-tick trousers.  'Hobbes' is making supper for us to celebrate our anniversary yesterday, so I don't have any cooking duties.

Breakfast - porridge, berries, yoghurt; lunch - lentil sprout salad with nuts, roasted peppers, olives, yoghurt dressing; supper - sausages with veg of some kind; snacks - raw veg and low-fat cheese.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a beautiful location for a wedding (I initially typed weeding lol).

14 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

Ladies, let us get something clear if you call yourself lazy after digging ditches @soror and the way you exercise and all you do @Laura Corin people like me need to find to word to describe what we do on a daily basis. 

@soror About swimming, it is the only thing I did for years, so endurance came as a side effect. Swimming to me was always unapproachable because it looked like it only had glamorous people with gorgeous bodies like on Baywatch who showed a lot of skin or olympic swimmers who were so graceful and beautiful as they swam. not someone like me who had an imperfect body and modesty issues. I  love it so much because it directly relates to the people I encountered and the experiences I had because everything I assumed about it was not true. In my gym especially, I have women who are older, walk in the wave pool then swim in the kiddie pool for a while. They go back and forth. Their bodies are not toned, they are not young, their skills and technique is more on the terrible side, but they persist. And that is what I appreciate most because it made me a better swimmer looking at them without me setting forth to do anything. Most of them swim in pants or shorts, nothing like the glamorous bikinis I assumed you had to wear. I feel happy when I swim which is not something I could say for any exercise in a gym. I have issues with even squats. I cannot follow direction from videos, I have bad posture. But in a pool, even klutz me who lane drifts constantly with bad technique can swim and keep up and build endurance. I have never found anything else that fits me so well and I am most surprised of all. That is the reason I go to swim during COVID when we social distance so much and get grocery delivery. It gives me something which no other exercise does and I cannot put a value on it. Sorry for the gushing. I think we all need to find that one thing in fitness especially that speaks to us and I think each of you ladies have it if I am not mistaken.

@happysmileylady Glad you swam.

@wintermom You are a wonderful photographer and thank you for sharing your photos. 

Thank you for sharing, you know I have noticed those that swim for exercise are similar here, yet it still intimidates me- like they must know what they are doing. That gives me a new perspective.

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

Absolutely.  And thanks for the good wishes.  The wedding was at the B&B below, and we went to Monterey Bay Aquarium for our one-day honeymoon:

I was thinking this morning (I'm sore from weeding, and am fitting in lots of stretches): when we moved into this house in Scotland I was 45; I'm now 57.  I'm stronger and more supple than I was 12 years ago, but my body - it seems - can't cope with the amount of repetitive movement that it could.  12 years ago, I would have ended a day of weeding with a stiff back, but the next day I would have stretched out the stiffness and been fine.  Today my back is definitely sore rather than stiff after yesterday's weeding.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.  I will probably do some gentle yoga at lunchtime and take a moderate walk after work through the woods.  I will try out my new anti-tick trousers.  'Hobbes' is making supper for us to celebrate out anniversary yesterday, so I don't have any cooking duties.

Breakfast - porridge, berries, yoghurt; lunch - lentil sprout salad with nuts, roasted peppers, olives, yoghurt dressing; supper - sausages with veg of some kind; snacks - raw veg and low-fat cheese.

Sounds like a good plan for today, hopefully tomorrow you feel better. How sweet of your son to cook for you all.

• Like 2

I think I finished everything on my to-do list yesterday. I completed my portion of the hole but dh's elbows were bothering him too much to do his part (I'm not very adept at all with the post hole diggers). We did not even attempt the last one since dh was too sore, I had done a couple hours digging as it was, which was quite enough!  I noticed I much improved my speed and technique from hole 1 to 3, I nearly kept up with dh yesterday when on the first hole he outpaced ds and I together 3 to 1. 

I got the menu planned. I did not do strength work, my shoulder was already nagging me and I did quite enough work digging Sat and Sun.

Today I'm making my summer to do list to finish and going to hope to knock things out a little at a time. I'm not sure what I'll try and tackle today, we'll see how spunky I feel.

Weight still up a bit but I'm working on keeping on, I'm eating less and better, but my period is due soon and I have soreness. 

I plan strength and stretching work and a walk with a friend.

I am planning an order to try and make some homemade gf bread again (I've tried so many times and never come up with anything I loved).

breakfast: huevos rancheros- clementine orange (2)- green juice (celery, lemon, ginger, green apple)

lunch: quinoa and cabbage salad w/ edamame, mandarins, chopped peanuts; dark chocolate

dinner: baked eggplant and marinara w/ tomato & cucumber w/ feta and olives chopped salad

snack: smoothie (spinach, berries, flax, almond milk, cocoa, banana)

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

It is really nice. We have yoga in the parks now for the elderly. Parks have equipment to work out (not sure how to explain what it looks like). It is clean. There is more civic emphasis on parks and green spaces because the population is so dense and space is limited. People walk all the time even on the beach. It's a generational difference from what I grew up with in terms of attitude and amenities both private and public. To his credit, the current leader is a big on yoga and fitness, he even tweets about yoga for meditation especially during lockdown

There are so many open spaces and so much nature in North America. There is so much place to walk even in the city, so much nature even in the middle of suburbia. People really need to take advantage of it. It is sad that many do not. 

That is very cool about the current leader promoting yoga and meditation, I love that it's practical and immediately accessible to every citizen. Hopefully, these positive actions can become firmly established routines now that continue long past the current pandemic. 

As far as North America and access to nature, there's so many factors involved, from weather, protecting animal habitats from urban sprawl and over-visitation, pollution, lack of public transport to nature centres, cost (to municipalitites and individuals), free time, experience/knowledge about nature, and the list goes on. My city has a large abundance of hiking paths and protected forests. Over the past 2.5 decades of living here, I've see the benefit of an agency other than our city having the authority to protect these nature reserves. The city has time and again seen green space as potential tax dollars if they allow it to be developed. 

• Like 2

I completed my morning yoga and push-ups. It's a glorious day today without much on the schedule. I'm wanting to hike into the beaver pond as it's been a few weeks since I was there. I'll try to time it when the mosquitoes are quiet.

On the food front, happily for me the rolled oats are having their effect already. Weight seems to be holding at 132. I'm not thrilled with the squidge around the waist area, but my muscle mass is excellent, so no complaints. 😉

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Anyway, onwards and upwards.  I will probably do some gentle yoga at lunchtime and take a moderate walk after work through the woods.  I will try out my new anti-tick trousers.  'Hobbes' is making supper for us to celebrate our anniversary yesterday, so I don't have any cooking duties.

I love those ancient, massive trees, especially as there was nothing like them on the Canadian prairies growing up. I've never seen the redwoods, but I did visit the stunning Cathedral Grove on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. That's were the forest scenes from the 3rd Star Wars were filmed. 

Hope your stiff back recovers today. I'll bet that with your regular yoga, exercise and eating routine keeping the blood flowing really well around all those healthy muscles and organs, you will recover quite quickly dispite your increased age. I believe that research does support this, even if we don't necessarily feel the benefits when we're noticing the pain. 😉

• Like 2

I managed a 10ish minute arm strength workout followed by only 5 minutes of cardio. I'd have preferred to do slightly more cardio, but time and energy weren't on my side this morning. The kids and I managed a short walk after breakfast. It wasn't too hot yet, but it will be this afternoon. Maybe the kids and I will head to the local creek today...

First, though, some writing and maths should happen. (Reading and speech are done.) A few packages with baby stuff should be arriving today/over the next few days. Somehow that makes this 5th pregnancy even more real. None of it's exciting, but it will make my life easier (baby monitor, nursing pillow, etc...). 

@wintermom I hope you do make it to the beaver pond...pictures are always welcome!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

@soror Glad I could give you some perspective on swimming. I think you could do it. But you already do so much and I find you so inspiring. 

@Laura Corin I am astounded that you could weed for 3 hours and you have the patience and a garden that requires that. I think even though you feel sore and recovery seems harder, you are able to do so much physical activity and it speaks to how long you have done it. One of the people in my gym is a lady in her 70s, she has long silver hair and she swims so beautifully. She has such an elegant body, not perfect and she moves beautifully and smoothly when she walks, it is not an old person's walk like slow and mincing, I am not explaining well but I hope you get the picture. I want to be her, able to exercise even when I am old and have mobility and independence and do things. I don't think you can magically become old like that, perhaps some people have genetics but for most of us, it is a lifetime of habits like moving I think that will help us as we age. 

When I was approaching fifty, I look around the women who attended the same secular choir as I did, many of whom were much older.  I decided that what I wanted was to move as well as I could, be reasonably slim, stay interested in the world, and keep my hair cut well and my glasses interesting.  I'm sticking with all that so far. 

My hero in the choir was a woman in her eighties who just had such an interest in the world - she was bright and sharp, she volunteered at the local hospital to greet and guide people (often 'old people'), and she ran every day (a very gentle trot, but she covered ground).

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

When I was approaching fifty, I look around the women who attended the same secular choir as I did, many of whom were much older.  I decided that what I wanted was to move as well as I could, be reasonably slim, stay interested in the world, and keep my hair cut well and my glasses interesting.  I'm sticking with all that so far. 

My hero in the choir was a woman in her eighties who just had such an interest in the world - she was bright and sharp, she volunteered at the local hospital to greet and guide people (often 'old people'), and she ran every day (a very gentle trot, but she covered ground).

That's awesome! I did something similar with noticing older ladies as 'mentors,' though mine have been on the tennis courts, and hiking and biking trails. 😉  There are so many inspiring ladies out there doing really cool things. Now I'd like to look for some people who can help educate me about the local bird life.

• Like 2

You ladies are my inspiration. 🙂 There were several ladies at the gym older than me that were doing awesome things.

I did some yard work this am (weeding, raking, picking up sticks) before going on a walk with my friend. I rested a bit over lunch and then washed the deck. Chilling for a bit before cooking supper, it has been nice and productive day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn't make it to the beaver pond, instead I went for a hike with a friend. We encountered some very friendly chipmunks along the trail. People feed them very frequently here, so they are used to coming right up to you for food. Next time I'll bring some seeds for them. 

On another topic (aka: What will I do next year?), I just found out that I received a large scholarship to complete my graduate diploma!! I'm absolutely thrilled. I applied for this way back in November before I'd heard about our move. Now that we're staying, I'll be able to finish my studies. Pretty exciting! I've never received this large a scholarship in my life. Just goes to show that professional/education pursuits aren't over when you reach 50 and you've been homeschooling for 16 years. 😃

IMG_20200608_145655500.jpg

• Like 2