Menu

May 2020 well-trained bodies

Laura Corin

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

What kind of tick remover do you have to use for humans and animals? I see a few different types available on-line. I'm not positive which type is the easiest and most effective to use.

We've got a tick twister, but actually just use it to leverage out the tick.  DH also got free at the pharmacy a little credit card size piece of plastic with notches cut out in two of the corners to make two different sized tick removers, similar to the right side of the tool in @Matryoshka's photo.  He swears by it.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

We've got a tick twister, but actually just use it to leverage out the tick.  DH also got free at the pharmacy a little credit card size piece of plastic with notches cut out in two of the corners to make two different sized tick removers, similar to the right side of the tool in @Matryoshka's photo.  He swears by it.  

I have a plastic thingy with notches too, but I've found it doesn't get enough of a grip on the tiny ticks if they aren't engorged yet. So I thought the dual one was a good find - can switch tactics based on tick.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 3

I went for a brisk two-mile walk at lunchtime, then did an hour of yoga after work. Breakfast was my savoury porridge with mushroom, courgette, miso and scallions, plus kerned yoghurt - it was really good. Lunch was leftover venison stew with broad beans. Supper is turkey breast roast with red rice and veggies. I snacked on raw veg and low fat cheese.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Yeah, we're in the forest too.

I also have premetherin to treat other clothing. I used it on my work pants and garden clogs. But to treat according to directions, you have to use a ton, and clothes treated that way only last 6 washes (or 42 days, according to bottle) and have to be retreated. You have to do it outside, not breathe it, not get it on your skin, and let it dry. The bottle warnings about what to do if you breathe it or get it on skin are a bit terrifying.  And it also warns about runoff into your yard,  and to make sure you have dry, calm weather so wind doesn't spread it and clothes have enough time to dry (2-4 hrs) before coming inside.  So I'm liking the idea of pretreated clothes that last 70 washes more and more!

Yes, we do treatment outside and are very careful with it.

We had a tick pick but I'm not sure where it went. We have lots of Lyme but also several other tick borne diseases, my neighbor was in the hospital for days and nearly died from Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. One of my good friends got Lyme walking with me on our property. My sister in law contracted a different tick illness last summer and it caused her horrible reactions. They are bad news but they are also very thick in the forests and with so many deer.

I had a good visit with my parents and the kids finally got to see their cousins. I helped Mom a bit with some gardening but didn't get anything else done.

Today I'm going grocery shopping, ya for more fresh veggies. I've been slacking on beans lately so I'm aiming to get some made so I have at least 1 serving a day, I hope to make more tonight to have extra.

We have rain expected all day today and cooler temps so I'll probably do inside work (it has been neglected with the nicer temps anyway)

Exercise plan: yoga

food: keeping to PN macro guidelines

bfast- oatmeal w/ blueberries+ egg on gf whole grain toast

lunch: leftover gf lasagna + veggies

dinner: gf chicken quesadillas(dd1 cooking again) w/ black beans

snacks: dark chocolate; smoothie; orange or apple; almond+ coconut (any combo depending on hunger and mood)

Weight dropped down to 122.8 today, that is much more my preference.

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

Strength workout and a tiny bit of cardio done.

Breakfast was fried eggs.
Lunch will be a wrap again.
Dinner will be leftover salsa chicken for the kids and maybe a quesadilla for me

I definitely want to go for a walk today; the next couple days are supposed to be rainy. And since I had some ice cream last night, and might have to eat the rest tonight...a walk is definitely a good idea today.

• Like 5

It ended up being a rest day yesterday after I finished my morning push-ups. I don't know if it was the one-shot antibiotics (along with a bunch of activity on Sunday) that wiped me out, but I just could not build up the momentum to get out of the house. The most I could muster was alternating between lying in bed or sitting up at the computer. I was able to eat plenty, however. 😉 

I'm much better today. I've already taken the dog for a walk and completed my push-ups and morning yoga. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, wintermom said:

It ended up being a rest day yesterday after I finished my morning push-ups. I don't know if it was the one-shot antibiotics (along with a bunch of activity on Sunday) that wiped me out, but I just could not build up the momentum to get out of the house. The most I could muster was alternating between lying in bed or sitting up at the computer. I was able to eat plenty, however. 😉 

I'm much better today. I've already taken the dog for a walk and completed my push-ups and morning yoga. 

Glad you are feeling better.

I went for a brisk two-mile walk at lunchtime and will do a pretty serious yoga session after work, I hope.

Food: breakfast - savoury porridge plus kerned yoghurt; lunch caesar salad with turkey breast, plus savoury oatcake with Marmite and pumpkin seed butter, and an apple and two prunes; supper - black beans with home-made salsa, rosti, roast celeriac and salad.  Snack - raw veg and low-fat cheese.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, wintermom said:

I'm glad you are feeling better. You needed some time off I'm sure, when was your last day off???

4 hours ago, barnwife said:

Strength workout and a tiny bit of cardio done.

Breakfast was fried eggs.
Lunch will be a wrap again.
Dinner will be leftover salsa chicken for the kids and maybe a quesadilla for me

I definitely want to go for a walk today; the next couple days are supposed to be rainy. And since I had some ice cream last night, and might have to eat the rest tonight...a walk is definitely a good idea today.

Did you get your walk in? I need to get one today!

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Glad you are feeling better.

I went for a brisk two-mile walk at lunchtime and will do a pretty serious yoga session after work, I hope.

Food: breakfast - savoury porridge plus kerned yoghurt; lunch caesar salad with turkey breast, plus savoury oatcake with Marmite and pumpkin seed butter, and an apple and two prunes; supper - black beans with home-made salsa, rosti, roast celeriac and salad.  Snack - raw veg and low-fat cheese.

Always lovely food, you make me feel boring 🙂

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, soror said:

LOL, you'll notice I never talk about what I'm eating.  It's a lot of rinse and repeat, cooking free breakfast/lunch, and I try to only cook 2-3x a week for dinner, then we eat leftovers for a while...  tonight I am actually planning on cooking; it will be quinoa chili (a vegetarian chili).

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Matryoshka said:

LOL, you'll notice I never talk about what I'm eating.  It's a lot of rinse and repeat, cooking free breakfast/lunch, and I try to only cook 2-3x a week for dinner, then we eat leftovers for a while...

We usually have a different dinner most nights but I repeats breakfasts and lunches. I get in ruts and will eat the same thing over and over.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soror said:

We usually have a different dinner most nights but I repeats breakfasts and lunches. I get in ruts and will eat the same thing over and over.

I love having the same food for breakfast. It's really relaxing to not have to think about at least one meal each day. 😉 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, soror said:

I'm glad you are feeling better. You needed some time off I'm sure, when was your last day off???

I had been on a really good streak for many weeks, especially with the push-ups. I did really enjoy the rest yesterday, though. Probably watched far too much TV. 😉

• Like 4

2 hours ago, soror said:

I like to eat mostly vegetarian food. Hobbes is vegetarian but Husband prefers meat. Husband eats my veggie cooking without complaint, but it's only if the flavours are bold and the textures varied that he really enjoys the food. So I try harder than I would just for myself, because food matters to Husband.

I don't mind lots of repeats if I'm just cooking for myself. I usually eat the same breakfast for five days in a row, and I often make a soup to have for several lunches.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, soror said:

Did you get your walk in? I need to get one today!

🙂

We did! It was a gorgeous day here. The only downside is that the kids ride their bikes, even the 3 year old. He has a balance bike and can now go really, really fast. We are still working on the concept of not going too fast for me (because I walk...more slowly by the day it seems thanks to this pregnancy). I need him to stay close-ish on our country road just in case a car comes by. Hopefully you squeezed one in too!

We also weeded some of the garden and fed our goats, which I am going to think of as more exercise. 

• Like 4

I got in a couple of short walks, very good since it is currently storming and not looking promising for the rest of the day.

Exercise plans: strenght

food:

bfast: 2 superhero pumpkin muffins, nonsweet almond milk + protein powder, strawberries + coconut milk

lunch: brown rice & quinoa blend, black beans chicken breast, greek yogurt, salsa verde, red cabbage, peppers, onions, and tomatoes 

dinner: Moroccan baked chicken w/ brown rice, cauliflower and green beans

snack: def dark choc and we'll see what else I've not been as snacky or hungry this week as I'm not working as much so I've not been snacking very much, I will have nuts, fruit, etc if the mood hits

• Like 3

Great yoga practice right now. I've always gravitated towards fast power-style yoga, but the Do Yoga With Me practices are much more thoughtful and mindful. I'm amazed at the muscles I'm using that were neglected before. I'll do my DareBee sets this afternoon when I get hit by the afternoon slump, usually around 4.

The weather is beautiful, so we'll try to eat lunch outside. For me, that always makes healthy eating easier.

Breakfast: Oatmeal, frozen berries, apple, sunflower seeds

Lunch: Napa cabbage salad with soy-peanut sauce, peanuts, baked tofu

Dinner: Something with brussels sprouts, chicken, summer squash. If I have time, grated beet and apple salad on the side. (I'll use my food processor to grate, so it shouldn't take too long.)

Snack: Popcorn with nutritional yeast. If I have points at the end of the day, maybe a small piece of chocolate.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I like to eat mostly vegetarian food. Hobbes is vegetarian but Husband prefers meat. Husband eats my veggie cooking without complaint, but it's only if the flavours are bold and the textures varied that he really enjoys the food. So I try harder than I would just for myself, because food matters to Husband.

I don't mind lots of repeats if I'm just cooking for myself. I usually eat the same breakfast for five days in a row, and I often make a soup to have for several lunches.

I love bold flavors and varied textures too but often don't have the gumption to cook that complex of recipes, I try to do new recipes here and again though. I do try to do my lunches like that but I'll often have the same one all week. My kids 3 nights a week so those recipes are simpler too but it words. 

14 hours ago, wintermom said:

I had been on a really good streak for many weeks, especially with the push-ups. I did really enjoy the rest yesterday, though. Probably watched far too much TV. 😉

You know you do need rest days too!

• Like 2

It's sunny and warm, and I'm feeling even more rested, so I should be able to build back up to my 'normal' activity level. We're getting a large load of topsoil delivered today, and we'll be busy spreading it over the yard and filling in low spots. That should cover upper-body work. I'll also take the dog for a couple walks. He's missed his long walks, and so have I. I have to admit that I'm getting pretty bored walking the same routes in the neighbourhood. Maybe I'll try to add in more variety! 😉

• Like 1

Got in a 30 minute run on a trail that opened back up. It was not crowded and easy to stay apart. Just got back from a quick walk to the health food store to buy more probiotics and chia seeds. 

I did strength training yesterday and will do it again tomorrow before I have to go to my classroom and clean it out. Then lots of staff Zoom calls in the afternoon. 

Now to sit and grade exams... 

• Like 4

@Dreamergal I'm glad you liked the tagine.

Today I did one of my favourite yoga sessions and had a good walk. Food was good too: breakfast - veggie porridge plus zero fat kerned yoghurt; lunch - Caesar salad with turkey breast and leftover celeriac,  oatcakes with pumpkin seed butter, and an apple; supper was smoked mackerel, cannelini beans and fresh green beans.

I've started to linger in a low plank during sun salutations - it's an easy upper body and core toner. I've also really come to really appreciate mountain (standing) pose. I've no idea why it feels so peaceful.

• Like 2

Definitely off to a slow start today. We checked off everything on our school to-do list, but...not much exercise so far. The kids and I got in a short walk earlier when it was beautiful. Now it's clouded over and probably going to rain. We fed our goats too.

Still hoping to squeeze some cardio in at some point today.

Breakfast: fried eggs, 2 prunes
Lunch: some pickled herring, mostly veggie wrap, 2 prunes, and some grapes and apple slices
Dinner: chicken with something or other...probably pasta for the kids and a potato for me. I cooked a whole chicken recently and just pulled the unused part out of the freezer yesterday. Therefore, that will be part of dinner.

Off to pick up library books (yay for curbside pickup) and motivate myself for cardio!

• Like 4

It's been a great day today! I've so happy that my energy has returned. Makes such a difference. I walked the dog twice, did my push-ups and morning yoga, went for a bike ride for a couple errands, did some gardening, played volleyball and tennis. I even had energy to try out the sweet potato masala recommended by @Dreamergal. It was delicious! 

Another big boost was hearing some good news about potential housing in CO. Now if we could just hear when we get to move, things may work out really well. 

@Laura Corin  Any word on your housing situation? Hope you get everything smoothed out soon!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wintermom said:

It's been a great day today! I've so happy that my energy has returned. Makes such a difference. I walked the dog twice, did my push-ups and morning yoga, went for a bike ride for a couple errands, did some gardening, played volleyball and tennis. I even had energy to try out the sweet potato masala recommended by @Dreamergal. It was delicious! 

Another big boost was hearing some good news about potential housing in CO. Now if we could just hear when we get to move, things may work out really well. 

@Laura Corin  Any word on your housing situation? Hope you get everything smoothed out soon!

Glad you had a good day and that the Colorado situation is looking up. What are house prices like in your current area in the crisis? Would you be able to rent out if selling is difficult at present?

Our house situation is mildly comic. There's a slightly queasy constitutional relationship between the UK government and the national governments (Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland). Devolution of powers is relatively new and it's contentious. The Prime Minister of the UK is allowing people in England to move house, but the First Minister of Scotland is not allowing people in Scotland to do so. In general, I prefer Scotland's more cautious approach (and our R number might be a bit higher) so I'm just trying to be patient. The lawyers won't do anything until the FM says 'go'.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, wintermom said:

Wow, what a great day you had, awesome! I've got to look in these recipes and get with it, you guys are making me hungry!

13 hours ago, barnwife said:

Definitely off to a slow start today. We checked off everything on our school to-do list, but...not much exercise so far. The kids and I got in a short walk earlier when it was beautiful. Now it's clouded over and probably going to rain. We fed our goats too.

Still hoping to squeeze some cardio in at some point today.

Breakfast: fried eggs, 2 prunes
Lunch: some pickled herring, mostly veggie wrap, 2 prunes, and some grapes and apple slices
Dinner: chicken with something or other...probably pasta for the kids and a potato for me. I cooked a whole chicken recently and just pulled the unused part out of the freezer yesterday. Therefore, that will be part of dinner.

Off to pick up library books (yay for curbside pickup) and motivate myself for cardio!

Ya for pickup, we just are now getting to drop off. Did you get the cardio in?

15 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

@Dreamergal I'm glad you liked the tagine.

Today I did one of my favourite yoga sessions and had a good walk. Food was good too: breakfast - veggie porridge plus zero fat kerned yoghurt; lunch - Caesar salad with turkey breast and leftover celeriac,  oatcakes with pumpkin seed butter, and an apple; supper was smoked mackerel, cannelini beans and fresh green beans.

I've started to linger in a low plank during sun salutations - it's an easy upper body and core toner. I've also really come to really appreciate mountain (standing) pose. I've no idea why it feels so peaceful.

Plank is a great pose, easy and challenging at the same time. You know I think mountain pose is peaceful because we are often not focused when we're standing. 

16 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

I lost this thread and was frantically looking for it as it is keeps me accountable.

Nothing to add really, just keeping up with the exercise and playing with my kid. We bought a tent to "camp" in the backyard We are not really camping people because I have restroom and scary woods issues. I love civilization that includes a nice restroom not a hole in the ground. 😊

I was inspired by @Laura Corin and made both my "fake" tagine (Indian curry with Moroccan spice mix) and the real one with the Guardian recipe. Kids inhaled both. So thanks for that. Have a good day ladies !

If you camp at home you can just go to the bathroom in your house!

We ended up going to buy ds a car (he starts driving this summer and will be driving himself to school). We'd been given an old truck but it wasn't even running and wasn't worth the time and money to fix. I'm excited to get that settled. Not much activity other than strength work, I had 3 hrs in the car.

Today is supposed to be our only clear day before another 3 days of rain and storms (we've been inundated this spring). I'm planning for a walk or bike ride of some kind. 

I'm meal prepping lunch today, so far I've done a hodge podge of leftovers. I'm making "Asian" meatballs some recipe I made up with soy sauce, ginger, garlic and the "asian" salad (I'm making mine with brown rice and lots of cabbage).

Weight hasn't been back in 122's but in 123s, so it is still the right direction. I expected it would bounce back up some as that is how it goes, it is entirely linear. I've been following my food plan and feeling good (although sleep isn't great I'm due for my period and I also have a bit of a deficit which generally screws with my sleep too).

Food:

breakfast: pumpkin muffins; strawberries + greek yogurt+ sliced almonds

lunch: "Asian" turkey meatballs; "Thai" cabbage & brown rice salad

dinner: hard shell tacos, beef & fat free 'refried' beans, lettuce, tomato, salsa etc.

snacks: dark chocolate and fruit, nuts, protein shake etc depending on activity and hunger level

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

Hi friends!  Love reading your updates!

I had about 3 days of feeling much improved before the dizziness/low blood pressure, nausea, and food aversions came raging back.  During that time, I took walks and watered plants in my parents' yard to get out and enjoy the sun and warm weather, which helped my mood.  I even ate a little beef!   It was a nice reprieve (y'all hear me trying to stay positive?! lol). 

I have been reading about squats and how beneficial they are for easy delivery and would like to start doing some again once the dizziness and low blood pressure get better (supposedly about halfway through).

I have my 12 week appointment tomorrow--hopefully I will get another ultrasound pic to share!  Y'all help me pray that everything is good with the baby.  My husband is worried about our age and potential problems and his worry is making me worried, lol.

• Like 3

I just finished a T-Tapp ab exercise. I'm doing short (less than 30 min) ab workouts on the days I'm not doing Do Yoga With Me. DareBee cardio yesterday was a big step up and included a lot of mountain climbers. I think the mountain climbers irritated my repetitive stress injury in my wrists, so I need to avoid doing so many in the future. But no knee problems with exercising currently. I stretch all my leg muscles every day while doing teeth care (this was my PT's idea and it was a game changer).

I fell asleep much better last night and slept until my alarm clock went off. Recently I've been taking 2+ hours to fall asleep and then waking before my alarm feeling wonky.

DH surprised me yesterday by coming home early from his dad's house after helping with his mother's funeral. It was a good surprise. DH hates tofu and I wouldn't have made tofu for lunch if I'd have known he was going to join us.

Breakfast: oatmeal, berries, banana, peanut butter

Lunch: Tortilla, beans, corn, apple, cheese; leftover eggplant chicken tahini salad if I can beat the kids to it!

Dinner: Turkey pinto bean chili, summer squash, maybe corn bread

Snack: white bean cookie dip and apples (dd4 requested this yesterday!)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, soror said:

Ya for pickup, we just are now getting to drop off. Did you get the cardio in?

While I miss browsing in the library, I don't know when I will feel comfortable with that again, nor when the library will allow it. For right now, I om very grateful for pickup because I hear "I don't have anything to read!" so much less. I did do some cardio last evening. It wasn't as long of a session as I have been doing, nor as vigorous. But I did it at the end of the day instead of when I woke up, I am 23ish weeks pregnant, and I really didn't want to do it at all. 

Getting a little exercise in is better than nothing, right? 

Today will be a strength workout, and a tiny bit more cardio. Food is still up in the air for today, although lunch will probably be a salad with whatever I find in the fridge that I think baby will like.

@IvyInFlorida

I hope your appt. goes well. I get the worry about being AMA (advanced maternal age); this isn't my first pregnancy with that designation. Hopefully your appt. calms your worries. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Hi friends!  Love reading your updates!

I had about 3 days of feeling much improved before the dizziness/low blood pressure, nausea, and food aversions came raging back.  During that time, I took walks and watered plants in my parents' yard to get out and enjoy the sun and warm weather, which helped my mood.  I even ate a little beef!   It was a nice reprieve (y'all hear me trying to stay positive?! lol). 

I have been reading about squats and how beneficial they are for easy delivery and would like to start doing some again once the dizziness and low blood pressure get better (supposedly about halfway through).

I have my 12 week appointment tomorrow--hopefully I will get another ultrasound pic to share!  Y'all help me pray that everything is good with the baby.  My husband is worried about our age and potential problems and his worry is making me worried, lol.

Nice to see you dear!  So glad to hear you had a few nice days at least. Prayers for you guys. Yes, squats are wonderful, I started doing them a lot more with my first pregnancy, I took a Bradley method childbirth class (loved it) and they had a list of exercises to work on. Think about the squats differently than you have in the past, you can practice sitting in a low squat while watching tv or whatever, you don't have to just be going up and down which can be really hard for the dizzyness.

1 hour ago, EmilyGF said:

I just finished a T-Tapp ab exercise. I'm doing short (less than 30 min) ab workouts on the days I'm not doing Do Yoga With Me. DareBee cardio yesterday was a big step up and included a lot of mountain climbers. I think the mountain climbers irritated my repetitive stress injury in my wrists, so I need to avoid doing so many in the future. But no knee problems with exercising currently. I stretch all my leg muscles every day while doing teeth care (this was my PT's idea and it was a game changer).

I fell asleep much better last night and slept until my alarm clock went off. Recently I've been taking 2+ hours to fall asleep and then waking before my alarm feeling wonky.

DH surprised me yesterday by coming home early from his dad's house after helping with his mother's funeral. It was a good surprise. DH hates tofu and I wouldn't have made tofu for lunch if I'd have known he was going to join us.

Breakfast: oatmeal, berries, banana, peanut butter

Lunch: Tortilla, beans, corn, apple, cheese; leftover eggplant chicken tahini salad if I can beat the kids to it!

Dinner: Turkey pinto bean chili, summer squash, maybe corn bread

Snack: white bean cookie dip and apples (dd4 requested this yesterday!)

I'm sorry to hear about your MIL. Good job staying focused with the exercise and food.

1 hour ago, barnwife said:

While I miss browsing in the library, I don't know when I will feel comfortable with that again, nor when the library will allow it. For right now, I om very grateful for pickup because I hear "I don't have anything to read!" so much less. I did do some cardio last evening. It wasn't as long of a session as I have been doing, nor as vigorous. But I did it at the end of the day instead of when I woke up, I am 23ish weeks pregnant, and I really didn't want to do it at all. 

Getting a little exercise in is better than nothing, right? 

Today will be a strength workout, and a tiny bit more cardio. Food is still up in the air for today, although lunch will probably be a salad with whatever I find in the fridge that I think baby will like.

Yes, some exercises is beter than none, for sure, everything counts. I'd be happy with just picking up books, I used to do a lot via ILL.

• Like 2

Just now, wintermom said:

So, you've had perfect weather for the last month, but everyone is indoors and not taking advantage of it. That's awesome! 😅  Here, our weather is cold for spring. Even I am getting fed up with it. We're really ready for some warm temps. 

We're allowed to walk and cycle, so long as it's from home. I've been fine, because I live somewhere walkable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Laura Corin said:

We're allowed to walk and cycle, so long as it's from home. I've been fine, because I live somewhere walkable.

Everyone gets a dry commute to and from work without worrying about bringing an umbrella. Don't even need a rain coat when walking from the bedroom to the home office. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soror said:

Wow, what a great day you had, awesome! I've got to look in these recipes and get with it, you guys are making me hungry!

We ended up going to buy ds a car (he starts driving this summer and will be driving himself to school). We'd been given an old truck but it wasn't even running and wasn't worth the time and money to fix. I'm excited to get that settled. Not much activity other than strength work, I had 3 hrs in the car.

Today is supposed to be our only clear day before another 3 days of rain and storms (we've been inundated this spring). I'm planning for a walk or bike ride of some kind. 

I'm meal prepping lunch today, so far I've done a hodge podge of leftovers. I'm making "Asian" meatballs some recipe I made up with soy sauce, ginger, garlic and the "asian" salad (I'm making mine with brown rice and lots of cabbage).

Weight hasn't been back in 122's but in 123s, so it is still the right direction. I expected it would bounce back up some as that is how it goes, it is entirely linear. I've been following my food plan and feeling good (although sleep isn't great I'm due for my period and I also have a bit of a deficit which generally screws with my sleep too).

Food:

breakfast: pumpkin muffins; strawberries + greek yogurt+ sliced almonds

lunch: "Asian" turkey meatballs; "Thai" cabbage & brown rice salad

dinner: hard shell tacos, beef & fat free 'refried' beans, lettuce, tomato, salsa etc.

snacks: dark chocolate and fruit, nuts, protein shake etc depending on activity and hunger level

That's exciting for your ds! We've been a 1 car family for over 20 years. I think that will have to change when we move to CO as there is very limited public transportation. Of course, I will need a car to get to all the amazing trails and parks! 😉

Thanks for the reminder about weight fluctuation. Mine has been on the rise since my birthday. Now it's bouncing up and down around 130. It's such a challenge finding that 'perfect' balance of food, activity and hormones. 😄

The Asian meatballs and salad sounds yummy! We love pretty much anything with soy sauce, ginger and garlic.  Enjoy your walk/bike ride!

• Like 1

@IvyInFlorida  All the best at your appointment today! Hope that nausea disappears really soon. It's so exhausting. 

@Dreamergal  Enjoy your backyard tenting! I used to sleep out in a tent in my backyard growing up. I'd extend a power cord and bring out a TV to 'enhance' the experience. 😄 We usually have our tent trailer set up in our backyard in the summer. It's been really handy for sleep-overs. One summer the younger boys lived in the trailer for a couple weeks when we had 2 exchange students. 

@Laura Corin That is interesting about certain poses really 'clicking.'  I have a few of those as well. They are all standing balance poses. When I can balance almost effortlessly it feels amazing! 

@EmilyGF  Sorry to hear about your MIL. Big hugs.

@FarmingMomma  How are the cow and calves doing? How about your exercising streak?  Are there any forest fires this spring in BC? 

Today I'm going for a long walk with a friend. There is also a lot of topsoil still to be dealt with. It's fantastic weather today and supposed to be warm for the next few days!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, wintermom said:

That's exciting for your ds! We've been a 1 car family for over 20 years. I think that will have to change when we move to CO as there is very limited public transportation. Of course, I will need a car to get to all the amazing trails and parks! 😉

Thanks for the reminder about weight fluctuation. Mine has been on the rise since my birthday. Now it's bouncing up and down around 130. It's such a challenge finding that 'perfect' balance of food, activity and hormones. 😄

The Asian meatballs and salad sounds yummy! We love pretty much anything with soy sauce, ginger and garlic.  Enjoy your walk/bike ride!

I can't imagine having 1 car, we have NO public transportation where I live as we are in a rural area. Even in the nearest town(15 min away driving) there is only a bus that goes to a few stores, nothing you could have to take you to work or school.

It is hard to get the balance just right with weight and hormones because it is a shifting target.

Have fun shoveling top soil! We moved 2 trucloads of mulch last week, SO MUCH shoveling, its a good workout. 

We're both having walks with friends 🙂 Ya!!! 

Yoga w/ Cassandra and Breakfast done- decided to go with scrambled eggs+ spinach; toast; muffins(rolled oat, almond flour, pumpkin sweetened w/ maple syrup) w/ strawberries

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Glad you had a good day and that the Colorado situation is looking up. What are house prices like in your current area in the crisis? Would you be able to rent out if selling is difficult at present?

Our house situation is mildly comic. There's a slightly queasy constitutional relationship between the UK government and the national governments (Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland). Devolution of powers is relatively new and it's contentious. The Prime Minister of the UK is allowing people in England to move house, but the First Minister of Scotland is not allowing people in Scotland to do so. In general, I prefer Scotland's more cautious approach (and our R number might be a bit higher) so I'm just trying to be patient. The lawyers won't do anything until the FM says 'go'.

The housing in my current city is definitely a seller's market. We won't have any trouble selling or renting. So that's a huge relief! 

Your gov overlap sounds frustrating. Hope everything works out soon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

The housing in my current city is definitely a seller's market. We won't have any trouble selling or renting. So that's a huge relief! 

Your gov overlap sounds frustrating. Hope everything works out soon. 

I'm glad that this end of the move shouldn't be a problem, even during the current crisis.  Interestingly, there's been a big increase in enquiries to estate agents in the UK from people who want to move out of cities, having discovered they like working from home (and perhaps perceiving it as a healthier option).

The government overlap?  It's just one of those 'no-written-constitution-make-it-up-as-you-go-along' things.  It's fine.

• Like 2

@Dreamergal you are welcome to my 'recipe'.  I made it up as I went along, but it came out well.

Chop about a cup each of courgette/zucchini and mushrooms (or other veg).  Saute until soft in a neutral oil - I used rapeseed/canola.  Add 1/2 a cup of pinhead/steelcut oatmeal and about two cups of water (depending how thick you like your porridge/oatmeal).  Bring to a simmer and add in miso paste to taste - I think I added about a teaspoon.  Simmer for twenty minutes or so, then stir in a handful of chopped spring onions/scallions.  Leave to cool, then refrigerate overnight. 

That makes about five days worth - I just reheat a portion in the microwave, adding a bit of water if necessary.  I eat it with zero fat strained yoghurt to balance the protein with the whole grain and veg content.

I've previously made ratatouille oatmeal, just leaving out the garlic from a standard ratatouille recipe - it came out well too.

ETA: about the pool: I wouldn't personally worry about the water, assuming it's chlorinated.  I'd be concerned about tight corridors and changing rooms though.  I think I'd put on my swimsuit and a robe at home, bypass the changing rooms and walk straight through to the pool, dump my robe somewhere on the poolside, swim, put the robe on and walk straight out, showering when I got home and washing the robe.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

@wintermom We do not have large outdoor spaces in India in the cities but pretty much every house has an open terrace. So we used to love sleeping, eating and basically living out there in the summer at night. I am doing a version now with my kids. Eating outside, watching stars, just lying outside on sleeping bags. Its really lovely.

Exercise wise, I am doing more breathing yoga exercises to increase lung capacity with my DH. Just continuing with playing and walking for now. My pool might open "soon". It is an indoor pool so we can swim all year. I am even willing to go at 3 am to swim. I just don't know what is safe. Any ideas ? 

Have a good one !

Eating outside and watching the stars is amazing. I love it! It's even better if there are no mosquitoes. 😉 

Hope your pool opens up soon!  We just found out that they will allow tennis courts to open up in our province this Tuesday. I'm so excited! 

• Like 2

@Dreamergal
Our pool, also indoor, has not decided if they will open at all this summer. Currently, they are closed at least through mid-June. I've already told our children that I don't think we will be going, even if they open. Normally, I like not having to put sunscreen on the kids. But...I don't love the idea of all the germs in the air as kids are yelling and screaming and people are swimming hard, especially in an indoor location. I don't worry at all about germs in the water. 

If it opens, we wouldn't use the locker room at all. We'd take towels in a beach bag. After exiting the pool, we'd get the towels, wrap up, and come home to shower, tossing everything in the wash. This would be huge for us. I have drilled into my kids that they must shower before getting in the pool to help keep it clean. And they hate, hate, hate riding in the car in wet swimsuits. 

I'd actually be more likely to use an outdoor pool, under the thinking the sun would help kill germs in the air. But...all the ones near to us have already announced they aren't opening this summer.

As for exercise, I tried a new to me pregnancy cardio workout today. It was intense, which could be good. But I hated the workout. Actually, the workout was fine, it was just having music and not having it narrated that irritated me. If I try that workout again, I'd mute it and listen to an audiobook or something. I am going to try a couple other videos first though.

Today's food:
breakfast: eggs of some kind
lunch: leftover chicken and rice and/or salad
dinner: probably muffin tin popovers
snacks: string cheese, nuts, fruit

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

@Dreamergal you are welcome to my 'recipe'.  I made it up as I went along, but it came out well.

Chop about a cup each of courgette/zucchini and mushrooms (or other veg).  Saute until soft in a neutral oil - I used rapeseed/canola.  Add 1/2 a cup of pinhead/steelcut oatmeal and about two cups of water (depending how thick you like your porridge/oatmeal).  Bring to a simmer and add in miso paste to taste - I think I added about a teaspoon.  Simmer for twenty minutes or so, then stir in a handful of chopped spring onions/scallions.  Leave to cool, then refrigerate overnight. 

That makes about five days worth - I just reheat a portion in the microwave, adding a bit of water if necessary.  I eat it with zero fat strained yoghurt to balance the protein with the whole grain and veg content.

I've previously made ratatouille oatmeal, just leaving out the garlic from a standard ratatouille recipe - it came out well too.

ETA: about the pool: I wouldn't personally worry about the water, assuming it's chlorinated.  I'd be concerned about tight corridors and changing rooms though.  I think I'd put on my swimsuit and a robe at home, bypass the changing rooms and walk straight through to the pool, dump my robe somewhere on the poolside, swim, put the robe on and walk straight out, showering when I got home and washing the robe.

Wow, that oatmeal sounds amazing!

Edited by EmilyGF
  • Like 4

Just finished hour long yoga focused on stretching. This is NOT why I would normally choose, as a type-A, but it feels good. Darebee has ramped up as the program has gone along and I am not ready for the current week. I will probably just go back to day one and start there again. Maybe after two more weeks I'll be ready for week three.

The kids made dinner last night, and they made pasta with cheese, peas, and anchovies! Not what was planned, but that was OK. I ate more nutrient dense foods during the rest of the day, generally.

B: Oatmeal (always, just about) and fruit and nuts

L: Zucchini pizzas (basically, broiled zucchini with some tomato sauce, cheese, and turkey pepperoni); carrots

S: Leftover white bean cookie dip; apple

Dinner: pancakes and an egg or two

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EmilyGF said:

Just finished hour long yoga focused on stretching. This is NOT why I would normally choose, as a type-A, but it feels good. Darebee has ramped up as the program has gone along and I am not ready for the current week. I will probably just go back to day one and start there again. Maybe after two more weeks I'll be ready for week three.

The kids made dinner last night, and they made pasta with cheese, peas, and anchovies! Not what was planned, but that was OK. I ate more nutrient dense foods during the rest of the day, generally.

B: Oatmeal (always, just about) and fruit and nuts

L: Zucchini pizzas (basically, broiled zucchini with some tomato sauce, cheese, and turkey pepperoni); carrots

S: Leftover white bean cookie dip; apple

Dinner: pancakes and an egg or two

Okay, now I need to know what 'white bean cookie dip' is, and is it good?

What yoga was that you did? I think it would be nice to find a yoga focused on deep stretching. Seems like most of what I've got here is vinyasa flow.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Okay, now I need to know what 'white bean cookie dip' is, and is it good?

What yoga was that you did? I think it would be nice to find a yoga focused on deep stretching. Seems like most of what I've got here is vinyasa flow.

I'm doing the DoYogaWithMe ongoing intermediate program. Today's was Playing the Edge.

I think white bean cookie dip is yummy and so do my kids, but we tend not to eat super sweet things. I use this recipe with brown sugar but cut the sugar to about a quarter. (An aside: I like her recipes but she uses WAY too much sugar. We generally use a quarter to a half and find the recipes sweet.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got in a nice long walk with my friend yesterday (and a good visit too).

Another night of meh sleep, period is due today, really hoping it comes. 

Today's plan: strength and house cleaning, a nap

food: 

breakfast: plain steel cut oats w/ banana, pb, tsp of chocolate chips, whole grain gf toast w/ almond butter, protein powder w/ unsweet almond milk

lunch: more turkey "asian" meatballs and "asian" brown rice and cabbage salald

dinner: bunless burger, corn on the cob, and green beans

snacks: dark chocolate; cottage cheese and pineapple

• Like 4

Speaking of recipes I did a simple slaw with my tacos last night and it was surprisingly delicous.

I used shredded coleslaw mix (just cabbage and carrots for time saving), lime juice, chile paste (I keep that on hand and didn't have jalapenos), cilantro, chopped red onion, bit of salt and pepper.

Easy, healthy, and yummy-

• Like 3

I went for a long dog walk yesterday morning and then a 2 hr vigorous bike ride with a friend. I was pretty wiped after that. Also got in my push-ups and yoga. Today I'm meeting another friend for a walk, and I'll also work on spreading topsoil on the front yard. 

Here's a photo of our provincial flower, the Trillium. It's protected as well, so we're not allowed to pick them. They make a brief appearance in early spring, and then are gone for another year.

20200514_112938.jpg

• Like 3

@soror Your walk with a friend sounds really nice! Enjoy your physical activity and especially your nap today. 😉

@EmilyGF  I like lots of slow stretching in my yoga, too. I figure I do enough vigorous exercise that yoga needs to be focused on stretching and relaxing.

For all you yoga people: How long are the stretches in your program? I once had a yoga instructor that had us hold a stretch for over 2 minutes. This was so painful and not helpful for me. I was really stiff trying to get out of the stretch. On my own, I'll hold a stretch for 10 seconds max. I try to focus on breathing and try not to over stretch or feel any pain. 

• Like 4