Menu

May 2020 well-trained bodies

Laura Corin

I've completed my push-ups and morning 'yoga.' It's sunny and warm outside, so I'll try to get in a couple walks and perhaps a bike ride. I went for a short ride yesterday. It's nice, but I pass by the trees and birds so quickly that I don't get the chance to really see them. 

I am surprising myself that I'm really enjoying the slower pace of walking and yoga. I've always felt to need to do things with great speed and intensity, and anything too slow was not satisfying. Realistically, my body can't and won't be able to handle too much pounding and physical stress as I continue aging, so it's really nice to discover that I can be truly happy with a slower, more gentle pace of activities. One positive result of this pandemic, I guess. 😉

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Dark chocolate is wonderful! Bring on the endorphins! Glad you are feeling rested and ready to take on the day. I'm in the same boat as you with weight. It's kind of annoying that it's so quick and easy to bump up in weight. 😋

I'm weighing down that weight boat too.  Oh well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Dark chocolate is wonderful! Bring on the endorphins! Glad you are feeling rested and ready to take on the day. I'm in the same boat as you with weight. It's kind of annoying that it's so quick and easy to bump up in weight. 😋

6 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm weighing down that weight boat too.  Oh well.

19 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I've completed my push-ups and morning 'yoga.' It's sunny and warm outside, so I'll try to get in a couple walks and perhaps a bike ride. I went for a short ride yesterday. It's nice, but I pass by the trees and birds so quickly that I don't get the chance to really see them. 

I am surprising myself that I'm really enjoying the slower pace of walking and yoga. I've always felt to need to do things with great speed and intensity, and anything too slow was not satisfying. Realistically, my body can't and won't be able to handle too much pounding and physical stress as I continue aging, so it's really nice to discover that I can be truly happy with a slower, more gentle pace of activities. One positive result of this pandemic, I guess. 😉

I know, I've been surprised with how you've taken with yoga lately when you hated it so much before! I go in seasons, I was so busy in the fall and then pushed really hard in the winter I'm enjoying a bit slower pace now (although this weekend was the opposite of that! I did take a couple of easy days before tackling more projects.

Well, ladies you know the good thing is that we are watching it before it gets too high. It is much easier to tackle a couple of pounds than let it go. We've got this, pull back for a bit and it will sort out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dreamergal said:

May I recommend swimming. When I first started really being serious about exercise, I was in my 20s and employed a trainer because I had no clue about exercise. Like anything at all. One of the first things she recommended was swimming as a good exercise as women age and she was horrified to know I could not swim. So long story short, my pool is usually filled with older women swimming (as in their 60s) or even older), women just walking in a pool that has constant water movement (not sure I am describing it well, don't know the name). They are very regular, they look fluid in their movements on land, they move well , I am describing it well other than not like an older person moves I guess.  I am learning that my body cannot handle too much pounding and physical stress too. This running, jumping and exercise "on land" as I call it are hard on my legs and knees. I've repeatedly heard that swimming is better as women age. So may I recommend that if I may.

I have a happy/sad relationship with swimming. I was a competitive swimmer growing up and lived and worked in the aquatic field for decades. I love the water, being in it, paddling on it, and walking beside it. I'll always find enjoyment with water, but I have to be careful with swimming laps due to more fragile joints with repetitive movements. I find it much harder mental to slow down the intensity of swimming to reduce overuse than slow down or eliminate the running, for example. I can't swim laps and have the patience to swim slow. I get bored, lose patience if I'm behind a slower swimmer, or I swim too fast and get sore shoulders or knees. I think a lot of competitive athletes have similar experiences with their 'main sport' when they retire. They often do other activities to enjoy.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

May I recommend swimming. When I first started really being serious about exercise, I was in my 20s and employed a trainer because I had no clue about exercise. Like anything at all. One of the first things she recommended was swimming as a good exercise as women age and she was horrified to know I could not swim. So long story short, my pool is usually filled with older women swimming (as in their 60s) or even older), women just walking in a pool that has constant water movement (not sure I am describing it well, don't know the name). They are very regular, they look fluid in their movements on land, they move well , I am describing it well other than not like an older person moves I guess.  I am learning that my body cannot handle too much pounding and physical stress too. This running, jumping and exercise "on land" as I call it are hard on my legs and knees. I've repeatedly heard that swimming is better as women age. So may I recommend that if I may.

I know how to swim well (like I took years of lessons and still have muscle memory for all the strokes up through butterfly), but never competitively and last I was in a pool could barely do a lap unless it was breast, back or sidestroke.  I know I could do a few laps of those, because I have to take a regular swim test for rowing.  But I'd have to pay for access to a pool, and like a gym membership with no classes I have to be at, I kind of know myself enough to know I'd never end up going.  I need accountability!  If I had a local friend who wanted to swim laps with me, that could work.  I probably have much better stamina after the past year at OT (last swim test was pre-OT).  

I have also gravitated toward low/no-impact sports.  I also like to bike, and I used to roller blade a lot.  I seem to like to glide and go fast, which is why I think I've loved rowing.  Rowing is also low-impact and you can do it forever.  I am so bummed this summer will have no rowing. I think I may cave and buy a home rowing machine, even though I probably won't use it much if at all once I can go back to the gym.  But I am really not a big running fan.  Even though I'm going to try to go out and do a bunch this month.  But yeah, don't like the pounding.  The home OT workouts also are including a lot of jumping - jumping jacks of various kinds, squat jumps, broad jumps. Much less of this at the gym, because they use the tread (I usually walk) and rower for cardio.  I find jumping kind of fun, but I think my knees are either going to get strong or wrecked...

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

Make this. This is absolute comfort food on a plate and my food philosophy. Do not deprive, find ways around it.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018499-bittersweet-chocolate-souffle

I come from a culture where sweets are a big part of any celebration. We have culture built around home made sweets for festivals. So try telling a nation of many diabetics to give up on it. Not happening. So we have also built up a culture of diabetic dessert though the very idea of it sounds preposterous. 😂. Sweet shops sell "diabetic sweets", I can send my parents and inlaws sweets from here for birthdays and festivals because they are diabetic sweets. If you want a peek at how it is done, here are some "diabetic sweets".

https://www.tarladalal.com/recipes-for-Indian-Diabetic-Dessert-464

LOL, I've always thought that Indian sweets are so much less... sweet! ... and more healthy than Western sweets.  I've had a fair sampling over the years, though I'm not sure what many of them were called - I just ate them!  I had no idea there was a big problem with diabetes in India (sure know it's a problem here!)

Thanks for the link to the low-sugar Indian sweets page - the one that stands out to me is the Thandai Ice Cream.  Wow, that looks good!  I've actually been planning on trying out a healthy kulfi recipe as soon as it gets warm.  A local ice cream place has 'kulfi ice cream', which is what I always get when I go there - it's sooooo good!  Then I brought dd and her girlfriend there once, and her girlfriend (who is Indian) quipped "kulfi isn't ice cream, it's an Indian dessert!'  I've found a couple of healthy-version recipes online, and I want to try it!

Healthy treats that got me through the last year of weight loss and I enjoyed so much that I'm going to keep right on making them (if anyone's interested, I can share recipes)

- Carrot slices (like a healthy, no-bake carrot cake, but thinner and denser, with dates instead of sugar and coconut/lime/cashew "frosting").  Soooo good.  I may make some today!
- Black bean brownies - no flour, and really good and chocolatey!  I use Lily's stevia- sweetened chocolate chips, also has unsweetened cocoa and a bit of maple syrup.
- Chocolate nice cream - basically frozen bananas and unsweetened cocoa whizzed and re-frozen. Bananas alone make it plenty sweet. Really good with a few salted almonds on top.
- Ube ginger pudding - Ube purple yams pureed with a lot of ginger and a bit of stevia.  

And I'm very excited to try the kulfi and the thandai ice cream - I have all the ingredients for the latter, I think, except the rose water. Where does one buy that - is it in regular grocery stores, or Indian groceries?

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

Just now, Dreamergal said:

I wish I lived near you. We'll swim and then go out for sushi. 😄

I used to think something like buying equipment was a waste and when everyone looks at me crazy when I even say something about missing my swimming and how I can run or learn from a video, it's not the same as doing something you love. If you find that one thing you love that gives you joy in exercise I think it is worth it's weight in gold. So go for the rowing machine. Honestly if this goes on, I am really going to look into putting a pool. It maybe an extravagance to many, but it's been my saving grace in healthy habits and just the sheer joy I get out of it each day. I miss it so much !

Yes!  I much, much prefer rowing on the water, and honestly, rowing with a crew, complete with coxswain.  But for the larger part of the year off the water, I've come to tolerate the erg (aka rowing machine), and while under normal circumstances I'm fine just having one at the gym, who knows when I'll feel comfy going back?  I would so love just to pop on for a half hour and really get some good cardio in.  Unfortunately they are sold out everywhere including at the manufacturer's which is closed due to Covid.  I'm on a waitlist for when they restart production, which hopefully will be not too long from now - they are in VT, which has very few cases thus far...

If you're someplace warm enough to use the pool a good part of the year, you should go for it!!  Here it's still cold.  We may get some snow this weekend. 🙄

• Like 1

I am so sorry I recommended swimming to you 😊. I did not know you are a competitive swimmer. I am one of those people you describe there. I am really terrible in swimming, a lane hog. So I used to swim at 5:30 am everyday so I can pretty much get the pool to us slowpokes, mostly with old ladies. My swimming for all the big fuss I make about it is more about the joy I get simply being in a pool more than being an actual good swimmer or passable. But consistently it has been the one thing I feel entirely happy exercising in, just for the sheer joy of it not because I have to check more thing off. I love being in a pool, it's the closest I've come to being weightless. But I hope you find something you love to do that is not hard on your body and get some vigorous exercise as well. 

No worries at all. I'm really glad you enjoy swimming. It's so much fun. There are so many thing one can do in the water to keep things interesting, it's just not always possible during lane swim or public swimming with a pool full of people. I learned some synchronized swimming and diving, which are still a lot of fun to do. And way back in time I got certified in SCUBA diving. Snorkeling is also really fun, and doesn't require the same level of training or equipment. I may look into places I can snorkel.

• Like 2

On 5/4/2020 at 3:47 PM, wintermom said:

Great to see you again! Hope you were about to get out and enjoy the snow during the winter. Your running and yoga sound wonderful!  

Nice to see you too. Thanks for the reply. DH and I got out downhill skiing at the little local hill once - all that snow meant they had their best year in a long time.
Only child left at home, middle ds, is very proprietary about walking the dogs daily, lol. But I was able to get out once a week with them during the winter while he was off skiing at the large resort down the road. 😀

• Like 3

Quick pop in-

I ended up working outside all day and was exhausted by dinner, so I did have pizza as I wasn't up for cooking anything just for me.

Today's plan: yoga and a more work outside

breakfast: omlette w/ veggies bit of bacon whole grain gf toast, grapefruit, green tea

lunch: salad w/ ham and baked potato

dinner: TBD I had planned fried rice but dd2 cooked that the other night

snack: fruit; pineapple and cottage cheese; dark choc and pb

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

I got asked to play some volleyball with my boys yesterday. Too hard to say no, so we played until the ball went over the fence (about 30 min). I'm delighted that my body seems to be adjusting to this activity! I'm not sore. I also played a little tennis, went for a couple dog walks and a short bike ride. 

Our city is relaxing the rules about park use now. Sadly, tennis courts are still closed. ☹️  The kids can play soccer, though, so that's a bonus.

What's your favourite recipe using sweet potatoes? I have 2 I want to make a sweet treat with. I'm debating making a sweet potato pie.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

DH and I are taking turns playing with our son . Our poor bodies needs one day rest. But you are right, the body does adjust though I am really not a fan of "land" exercise, I am more a "water" exercise person. 😁

My daughter is 4, she is not that into exercise and play yet. She is a bit clingy, I don't know what kind of exercise to do with her or even if we should do formal ones. If things were open she'd probably be in classes or running around with the other kids "playing" soccer. Swimming has always been my default for the kids during summer. 

Indian recipe for sweet potato. This is a good basic recipe for potatoes in general. I don't know what spices you have or even cook with them so pardon if it is not applicable.

I just stick with fries. Chicken or goat burger (we don't make beef at home)  and sweet potato fries. 

Exactly! Dh and I are doing the same thing with volleyball. Yesterday was 'my day' and he took a rest. Today it's his turn.  When the pools open up, you could do swimming with your dd. No sure if she is swimming yet, but age 4 is a wonderful age to learn to love playing in the water. There are sometimes Parent and tot classes, or you can simply play in the water with her during public/family swim times. 

Thanks so much for the sweet potato recipe! I do have some Asian spices, so hopefully I can include most of the essential ingredients.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Welcome. We had a goat burger and fries for lunch. I hide all the vegetables in the burger so no insisting on kids eating vegetables 😁. DH and I add a salad. 

My daughter can swim very well. I always wanted my kids to swim with confidence so the person who taught her to swim is the son of the person who taught me to get over my fear of water.

For all my love of swimming water terrifies me still so I never get into a pool with my kids, I don't trust myself. Seems bizarre but that is a legitimate fear for me.

I come from a country where it is hard to find bodies of water except the sea. Anything like a lake is used as a tourist spot with boat rides  The beach culture is very much unlike here, people just stand ankle high in the water fully clothed, most people do not swim and and swimming is not a skill everyone has. So I've never really had a feel of being submerged or surrounded by water like sitting in a bathtub. People take showers there or pour water from a bucket over themselves. So when I signed up for classes with a qualified adult instructor I had panic attacks when I put my head under water even in kiddie pool, I would thrash, swallow water, cough. The person who finally taught me to get over my fear of water was a friend's father, an ex marine who was trained to do helicopter sea rescues. He basically taught me to get used to the feel of water, made me take a CPR class, taught me how to breathe even under water, hold my breath, how to come to the surface if I feel like I am drowning without panicking. All the things people take for granted. Basically being safe and feeling safe under water that I can swim without fear of drowinng My technique in swimming is very bad as it was not taught by a qualified swim instructor but I can swim. So I will never know the joy of swimming with my kids, but I swim next to them. 😁. I just don't feel confident enough to get into a pool holding my child. 

I relearned how to swim as an adult. I could swim but badly, so went to a class in my thirties to learn good strokes. So that's an option if you like.

Yesterday was a high ice cream and chocolate day. Basically the Covid statistics hit me hard.

Today is better. I took a two-mile walk and did some gentle yoga. Porridge for breakfast; tagine for lunch; bean salad and pot barley salad for supper.

• Like 1

Welcome. We had a goat burger and fries for lunch. I hide all the vegetables in the burger so no insisting on kids eating vegetables 😁. DH and I add a salad. 

My daughter can swim very well. I always wanted my kids to swim with confidence so the person who taught her to swim is the son of the person who taught me to get over my fear of water.

For all my love of swimming water terrifies me still so I never get into a pool with my kids, I don't trust myself. Seems bizarre but that is a legitimate fear for me.

I come from a country where it is hard to find bodies of water except the sea. Anything like a lake is used as a tourist spot with boat rides  The beach culture is very much unlike here, people just stand ankle high in the water fully clothed, most people do not swim and and swimming is not a skill everyone has. So I've never really had a feel of being submerged or surrounded by water like sitting in a bathtub. People take showers there or pour water from a bucket over themselves. So when I signed up for classes with a qualified adult instructor I had panic attacks when I put my head under water even in kiddie pool, I would thrash, swallow water, cough. The person who finally taught me to get over my fear of water was a friend's father, an ex marine who was trained to do helicopter sea rescues. He basically taught me to get used to the feel of water, made me take a CPR class, taught me how to breathe even under water, hold my breath, how to come to the surface if I feel like I am drowning without panicking. All the things people take for granted. Basically being safe and feeling safe under water that I can swim without fear of drowinng My technique in swimming is very bad as it was not taught by a qualified swim instructor but I can swim. So I will never know the joy of swimming with my kids, but I swim next to them. 😁. I just don't feel confident enough to get into a pool holding my child. 

My mother was a non-swimmer until she took lessons when my younger sister was born. She never felt super comfortable in the water, but, like you, she always made the effort to expose us kids to swimming and other water activities. I have so much admiration for adults such as yourself who conquer the fear of being in the water and learn to swim. I know that it is not easy at all. I have taught some adult learn-to-swim classes. Congratulation to you!  You've come a long way, and who knows what you'll be able to handle in a few years. You could well end up snorkeling in some crystal clear water with your children, or simply playing a game of volleyball in the water with them. ☺️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

I relearned how to swim as an adult. I could swim but badly, so went to a class in my thirties to learn good strokes. So that's an option if you like.

Yesterday was a high ice cream and chocolate day. Basically the Covid statistics hit me hard.

Today is better. I took a two-mile walk and did some gentle yoga. Porridge for breakfast; tagine for lunch; bean salad and pot barley salad for supper.

Ice cream and chocolate sounds wonderful! Glad you're feeling better today. How are things in your region? Are things opening back up again? 

• Like 1

My mom had a cousin who she saw almost drown (had to be resuscitated) when she was a kid, so she was adamant that we would be confident swimmers.  Swimming lessons were non-negotiable.  My kids also had swimming lessons every year, but for some reason they don't seem to have learned their strokes as well as my brother and I did, and only one could ever make it a full lap without hanging on to the lane floaties - but hopefully it's good enough they won't panic or sink in an emergency...

And speaking of yummy treats, I made my carrot slices last night.  Hadn't had them in a while - they are so good!  I like this healthy version even better than 'real' carrot cake!

• Like 2

Ice cream and chocolate sounds wonderful! Glad you're feeling better today. How are things in your region? Are things opening back up again? 

Not yet. There are hints that there might be some changes on Monday, but it's likely to be a few more open air activities with your household, like picnics at the park or sunbathing. Nothing major. And Scotland wants to be more conservative than the UK government, so it's a bit unknowable. I'm happy to wait for better figures.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

My mom had a cousin who she saw almost drown (had to be resuscitated) when she was a kid, so she was adamant that we would be confident swimmers.  Swimming lessons were non-negotiable.  My kids also had swimming lessons every year, but for some reason they don't seem to have learned their strokes as well as my brother and I did, and only one could ever make it a full lap without hanging on to the lane floaties - but hopefully it's good enough they won't panic or sink in an emergency...

And speaking of yummy treats, I made my carrot slices last night.  Hadn't had them in a while - they are so good!  I like this healthy version even better than 'real' carrot cake!

Recipe?

15 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Recipe?

I added some comments in italics on what I've actually done vs. original recipe... the original also had less lime juice, but then what to do with half a leftover lime?  I like more lime anyway. 😉   I love the combo of flavors.  If anyone cares, they also happen to be gluten-free (as long as you can tolerate oats, I know they can be iffy), and vegan.

No Bake Carrot Slices

Adapted from The Tasty K

• 1½-2 c. carrots, grated 
  • 1 c. walnuts
  • 1 t. pure vanilla extract
  • ½ t. ground ginger
  • ¼ t. ground nutmeg
  • 1 t. cinnamon
  • ½ c. unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 c. Medjool dates, pitted (I actually regularly use half of a package, just so it lasts me 2 recipes without leftovers - which comes to 11 dates)
  • 1/3 c. oats
  • 1 t. chia seeds (optional)

Frosting

• 1 c. raw cashews (for creamier frosting, soak in water 6 hrs or boil for 15 min. - note: original recipe suggested this, I have never bothered)
  • 1 T. maple syrup
  • ½ t. liquid stevia or to taste
  • 1 t. pure vanilla extract
  • Juice of one lime
  • 1/3 coconut cream, oil or butter (I've usually used cream, but have also tried oil)
  • Pinch of salt

For the dough, place all batter ingredients in food processor until combined.  You want it to be rather hard – if it’s too mushy add more oats and/or shredded coconut.

Line a baking tray with parchment paper (I've never bothered with the paper - I just press it directly into a glass 8x8 pan and it works fine) and place the dough inside.  Use a spatula to evenly press the dough down.  Place in the freezer while you make the frosting.

Mix all the ingredients for the frosting and mix in food processor. Adjust sweetness according to your personal taste.  Once smooth (shouldn’t be too liquid but creamy), spread over hardened dough and spread evenly with a spatula.

Place in fridge if you prefer it more soft, or in freezer if you want it to harden up a bit.  If you store it in the freezer, let it warm to room temperature before serving.

Options: top with crushed pistachios, or roll into balls and dip in icing to make truffles.  (I have been too lazy to ever try these two options, but sound interesting!)

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Tagine like the moroccan tagine  ? Do you cook with one ? Your meals sound like a trip around the world. 😁. Recipe please. 

I also was wondering what kind of tagine.  I make a tagine with butternut squash, swiss chard, and chickpeas that is to die for - but I know there are many many variations of tagines!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

My version is basically a chicken curry with the Ras-al-Hannout spice mixture and calling it a tagine 🤣

Mine is vegetarian and has more steps than almost any other recipe I make (like pre-cooking the squash, blanching both the swiss chard and the lemon peels - the latter twice!), but it makes a ton so I'll eat it for a few meals and then freeze the rest.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

Not a rush, but I would like the recipe please. Do you use the tagine pot or a dutch oven ?

Dutch oven.  I can paste the recipe if you like.  I made myself an online recipe file, which I have printed in book form for myself, but keep updating with new recipes as they come along... but it makes it easy to copy/paste and also to reprint a page in case I get it messy/spilled on/splashed on.  I do that. 🙄

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

Tagine like the moroccan tagine  ? Do you cook with one ? Your meals sound like a trip around the world. 😁. Recipe please. 

I just use a big pot. I used this recipe this time. It was good, but I'll reduce the saffron next time - I think the quantity unbalanced the flavours:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/mar/25/how-to-cook-the-perfect-vegetable-tagine-recipe

@Matryoshka thank you! Without the frosting it would make a good breakfast, too. I'm not a big fan of dates, but I bet it would work with prunes.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

I'm excited to see all the recipes. 

Day 2 of Yoga w/ Cassandra after teaching yesterday. I've enjoyed her sequencing so far, they are short and sweet but that is nice sometime. Planned half day of work outside but after some lunch time errands I ended up outside again until 6. Plenty of steps the last 2 days.

Today is inside work as it is raining and my allergies need a break anyway (I raked leaves in the am yesterday and leaves are horrible for me).

exercise: strength work

food:

breakfast: before workout toast w/ almond butter and banana; plain steelcut oats banana & pb, almond milk and protein powder

lunch: roasted potatoes, brat, peppers, and onion

dinner: family is having lasagna I will either take some meat sauce and have with red lentil rotini or just have a small serving w/ a side salad it is a bit much carbs and dairy so late in the day for me (seems dairy in the evenings affects the sleep)

snack: fruit, nuts, maybe I'll whip up a healthy treat since I'll have some time today, we'll see

• Like 3

EEK!! It's snowing this morning! There is already 2 inches of snow on the ground covering up the volleyball court. It just doesn't seem fair, when the leaves were just starting to pop out and the temps were getting warm.  Oh well, I'm sure it won't stay on the ground very long. It is a shock waking up to, though.

My plan was to go for a nice long hike in the woods with a friend this afternoon, but I'm not sure whether we are up for it. I'll keep on with my indoor push-ups and yoga. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

Thank you. That is why swimming is such a joy to me. It is truly something I had to work so much just to get into the pool and people really helped me. It has wonderful memories of me. The person who taught me to swim and his wife are surrogate grandparents to my kids. Snokerling huh ? Probably volleyball in the water sounds more feasible. I do not like the land volleyball as I call it much. But water, I will give it a try.

If you ever get a chance to swim using a swim mask, try it. Your nose is covered, so you never have to worry about water going up the nose. The visibility you get with the large glass area is also fantastic. Put on some flippers to speed around fast with little effort (flutter kick, no arm action needed), and you are set. Using a snorkel to breath is optional, and this is actually the most challenging piece of the snorkel ensemble. You can use mask and flippers in a swimming pool and simply check out the bottom of the pool, or venture into a lake.  Costco often sells adult and youth sets for very reasonable prices. They are a lot of fun to play around with. I'd forgotten how much fun it is, and I'll have to pick up a couple sets this spring. 😀

https://www.costco.ca/body-glove-youth-snorkel-set.product.100530547.html

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

Expecting rain later so I need to go back out to get my steps in; got in 1 hours, but will need at least 45 minutes more to get to 10,000. I just don't walk around too much in my house unless I am cleaning (Mother's Day is coming - they can clean!) Later I will do some strength training. 

Yesterday was a rest day - wow did my body need that. Remember to rest, too, ladies. I did not realize how tired I had gotten.

• Like 4

Hi ladies, and happy Mother's Day (y'all not in the US included!). 

I'm happy to report that the nausea seems to be easing a bit.  If I let my stomach get empty it returns with a vengeance, but in general it is gradually becoming more manageable.  I'm hungry constantly.  While no food really sounds good to me at all anymore, I'm going to try to expand my diet a little this week.  Another positive--I have graduated from only being able to drink Gatorade to being able to handle ice water with lemon.

I've been doing ok with walking every day...it's pretty humbling how much it wipes me out though. 

I'm 11 weeks today, and while I don't look pregnant yet, there's definitely what appears to be a sideways bean burrito under my belly button, LOL! 

The biggest positive thing is that I have definitely gotten excited about having a baby.  Something clicked in my head the other night and happiness rushed in and displaced (most of) the anxiety.  I started remembering getting the calls from the adoption agency about my other 2 kiddos and bringing them home from the hospital and how amazing all that was.  I'm also looking forward to my next appointment and ultrasound on Friday!  I was so emotionally messed up from the not-miscarriage last time that I didn't get to enjoy seeing the baby on the screen or anything like that.

That's all that's going on with me!  Hope you all have a wonderful Mother's Day!

• Like 3

Hi everyone!  I've been stuck off the boards fora few days from technical difficulties, but it's letting me log in again, thankfully!

On swimming:  I was a little fish in elementary school and on a swim team.  I then took a stroke mechanics for adults class in college and that was SO helpful!  However, I have a strong fear of water still.  But I do think swimming would be a good exercise for me to nurture mobility in the shoulders and hips as I age.  

Running is going well, but eating is not.  The scale is reflecting the decrease in quality meals, so time to turn that around.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Hi ladies, and happy Mother's Day (y'all not in the US included!). 

I'm happy to report that the nausea seems to be easing a bit.  If I let my stomach get empty it returns with a vengeance, but in general it is gradually becoming more manageable.  I'm hungry constantly.  While no food really sounds good to me at all anymore, I'm going to try to expand my diet a little this week.  Another positive--I have graduated from only being able to drink Gatorade to being able to handle ice water with lemon.

I've been doing ok with walking every day...it's pretty humbling how much it wipes me out though. 

I'm 11 weeks today, and while I don't look pregnant yet, there's definitely what appears to be a sideways bean burrito under my belly button, LOL! 

The biggest positive thing is that I have definitely gotten excited about having a baby.  Something clicked in my head the other night and happiness rushed in and displaced (most of) the anxiety.  I started remembering getting the calls from the adoption agency about my other 2 kiddos and bringing them home from the hospital and how amazing all that was.  I'm also looking forward to my next appointment and ultrasound on Friday!  I was so emotionally messed up from the not-miscarriage last time that I didn't get to enjoy seeing the baby on the screen or anything like that.

That's all that's going on with me!  Hope you all have a wonderful Mother's Day!

Glad things are going better. Happy Mother's Day!

• Like 3

Happy Mother's Day, everyone!! Hope you have a wonderful day.

@Laura Corin Great job with your walking and yoga! 

@IvyInFlorida  So glad the nausea is passing and the excitement is building! 😄

@Monica_in_Switzerland Yay on the running! Don't stress too much with the food. It will all work out. You are doing great things!

@soror  Hope the painting is all finished and you are able to enjoy the finished product. 

Bad news: I woke up and discovered a tick and bite on my hip this morning. Dd managed to remove most of it, but I had to go into the ER to get the remaining bit removed and get a shot of antibiotics. All is good now. 

Good news: Our Home Depot opened back up and we were able to buy more paint, so we'll be back on track soon. I've been getting in my daily hiking and backyard ball sports. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

@Monica_in_Switzerland Yay on the running! Don't stress too much with the food. It will all work out. You are doing great things!

@soror  Hope the painting is all finished and you are able to enjoy the finished product. 

Bad news: I woke up and discovered a tick and bite on my hip this morning. Dd managed to remove most of it, but I had to go into the ER to get the remaining bit removed and get a shot of antibiotics. All is good now. 

Good news: Our Home Depot opened back up and we were able to buy more paint, so we'll be back on track soon. I've been getting in my daily hiking and backyard ball sports. 

Sorry to hear about the tick. There was one crawling on the dog yesterday during our walk, and it was only when I was taking it off that I realised that I hadn't tucked my trousers into my socks. It's been a warm winter and spring, so the ticks will be plentiful. I think I was lucky this time.

Walking and yoga most days still. My shoulder has almost recovered.  Weight is approaching normal.

I think I'll go and make some savoury porridge for breakfast this week, maybe courgette, mushroom and something umami.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

Sorry to hear about the tick. There was one crawling on the dog yesterday during our walk, and it was only when I was taking it off that I realised that I hadn't tucked my trousers into my socks. It's been a warm winter and spring, so the ticks will be plentiful. I think I was lucky this time.

The dog has had a few ticks this spring, and he' just takes quick bathroom breaks in the yard, so I know they're out there.  We live in tick central.

I have bought socks that are pre-treated with premetherin (repels ticks and insects for up to 70 washings), and have been wearing them over my trouser legs whenever I go into the yard to garden.  They seem to be helping.  I have just found out the same company sells a whole clothing line.  I am thinking of buying both dh and me 'uniforms' to wear out in the yard.  Then I don't have to constantly think about tick spray and hopefully don't have to be quite as vigilant.  I.hate.ticks!!!!

Walking and yoga most days still. My shoulder has almost recovered.  Weight is approaching normal.

Glad to hear your shoulder's better.  My weight seems to be holding steady after the 2-3 lbs I gained over Christmas finally came off.  I'm hovering right over 130 - I've seen 129.5 a couple of times, but then it pops right back over.

I think I'll go and make some savoury porridge for breakfast this week, maybe courgette, mushroom and something umami.

Your meal descriptions always make me hungry! 😄

Last night I made my own pizza crust for the first time - I used to always buy Trader Joe's whole wheat pizza dough, but apparently they've discontinued the whole wheat version.  I made it in the bread machine that was a gift decades ago and I think I've used once or twice in all that time.  I had actually taken it out to donate.  But maybe it's a good thing I procrastinated!  And I'm glad I thought to buy yeast the last day before the shutdown - 'cause apparently it's almost impossible to find now...

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

The dog has had a few ticks this spring, and he' just takes quick bathroom breaks in the yard, so I know they're out there.  We live in tick central.

I have bought socks that are pre-treated with premetherin (repels ticks and insects for up to 70 washings), and have been wearing them over my trouser legs whenever I go into the yard to garden.  They seem to be helping.  I have just found out the same company sells a whole clothing line.  I am thinking of buying both dh and me 'uniforms' to wear out in the yard.  Then I don't have to constantly think about tick spray and hopefully don't have to be quite as vigilant.  I.hate.ticks!!!!

Glad to hear your shoulder's better.  My weight seems to be holding steady after the 2-3 lbs I gained over Christmas finally came off.  I'm hovering right over 130 - I've seen 129.5 a couple of times, but then it pops right back over.

Your meal descriptions always make me hungry! 😄

Last night I made my own pizza crust for the first time - I used to always buy Trader Joe's whole wheat pizza dough, but apparently they've discontinued the whole wheat version.  I made it in the bread machine that was a gift decades ago and I think I've used once or twice in all that time.  I had actually taken it out to donate.  But maybe it's a good thing I procrastinated!  And I'm glad I thought to buy yeast the last day before the shutdown - 'cause apparently it's almost impossible to find now...

I decided to use miso for the umami and chose pinhead oatmeal; I added in some scallions too. I'll have it with kerned (strained) zero fat yoghurt.

I'll look out for treated socks, thank you. 

I'm at 59.2 kilos, which is the same as you, I think. Under 59 is my expected range, so I'm in pretty much there.

• Like 2

I'd like to join. After months of false starts, I seem to have found something that works for me. I joined DoYogaWithMe when I heard about it at the beginning of SIP. I've been doing the Ongoing Intermediate program three days a week in the morning before my kids are up. I also am doing a DareBee cardio workout for about 15 minutes each afternoon, six days per week. 

I'm working on getting my eating back into the health-promoting zone: eating in a way that makes me feel good emotionally and physically. I had a brush with depression in the fall, followed by a kitchen remodel, and now COVID. All my healthy habits are out the window and I need to make relearning them a priority. 

Tomorrow: 30 min yoga in the morning, DareBee in the afternoon

Meals: Sourdough pancakes with an egg or two and a piece of fruit for breakfast; Leftover sauteed cabbage with turkey/mushroom/zucchini for lunch; Apple and peanut butter for snack; Bread salad with butternut squash along with white beans and kale for dinner. Daughter is making the bread salad :-).

Emily

• Like 5

Thanks to insomnia, I just did a cardio workout in the middle of the night. I plan to go for a walk with the kids today and will need to take care of our goats.

Due to being pregnant, food-wise I am cutting myself lots of slack food-wise. Breakfast is usually eggs. Lunch is generally leftovers or a wrap with as many veggies as I can tolerate, plus some fruit. Snack tends to be string cheese or yogurt and granola. Dinner tonight will be salsa chicken, per the request of a kid. 

Now that I am at just over a year of pretty consistent exercising, I am starting to think about how my routine will need to change after baby is here (in Sept.). My current routine is to get some cardio or strength training in before everybody else is up for the day. I like starting my day doing something for me. But I figure that's going to be difficult with a tiny baby. I also figure I might need to change what workouts I use. So, does anybody have any tried and true tips for how to weather this change without sliding back into not exercising?

If it matters, I currently usually do 2 Bikini Body Mommy workouts a day (either 2 cardio or 1 strength and 1 cardio), 6 days a week, in addition to walking with the kids. I'd like to think I will be able to do some exercising again when baby is 8-10 weeks old. But slow and easy is probably the way to go. Suggestions are welcome!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, wintermom said:

Sorry about the tick, glad it is ok now. We've got tons here too, I've already had a couple bite me this year. Ya, for more paint!!!

For some reason I cannot get multiquote to work now. UGH.

Emily and barnwife welcome! Please do share whatever you are doing, we are a varied crew doing all sorts of things, whatever works for you is great. 

Emily I'll have to check out the Darebee cardio, I've not been in the mood for much cardio with working outside much but 15 minutes sounds maybe tolerable on slower days.

Barnwife- I don't have any great tips, just to be flexible but always keep going with something. I have seasons where I don't exercise as much, right now is one of them and in the fall (allegies and busy schedule) but during those times I set myself my bare minimum I want to get done and stick with that and do it, even when it isn't great I show up. I prefer having time in the am too but I also know babies can really screw up the schedule. Before lockdown I was going to the gym every Tues and Thurs while the kids did TKD (it was next door) that worked great because I always took them, so it was no excuses. In November, I started am workouts too and since lockdown dropped my evening gym time I now just do morning workouts. So, look for what works for your schedule and see if you can pin exercise to another habit to keep you consistent.

I planned a bike or hike for Mother's Day but after a busy week I just felt like relaxing.

I am hoping to do better about balancing work and play as I've been doing so much work and not near enough recreation for fun. I'm planning a walk this week with a friend at the park.

This week's plan, keep on with food, watching macros, aiming to get a bit lower in my range. I prefer to stay 120-125 and I got up to 125 and am now skating around 124.

I'm going to visit my mom today for Mother's Day for the first time since quarantine, I'm very excited. We could have visited but I was being extra cautious.

Today Strength and day 4 Yoga with Cassandra

I've been planning out food for the day but I've slacked and not made the menu for tonight and am due for grocery shopping, so it is a bit in the air. Breakfast will likely be egg omelette on whole grain gf toast and fruit. I think Mom is serving chicken and fries for lunch, not health food but I'll just watch my portion. Dinner-maybe a bunless burger or ???

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Do you also have Lyme disease with some of your ticks? Glad your shoulder is back to normal! Wonderful your weight is doing well.

16 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

I will look for pre-treated clothing as well. Ticks are pretty new in our area, plus our weather has still been quite cold, so I've not been thinking tick prevention. Now I need to start!

Home-made pizza is the best! Glad you are able to enjoy this treat. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

I'd like to join. After months of false starts, I seem to have found something that works for me. I joined DoYogaWithMe when I heard about it at the beginning of SIP. I've been doing the Ongoing Intermediate program three days a week in the morning before my kids are up. I also am doing a DareBee cardio workout for about 15 minutes each afternoon, six days per week. 

I'm working on getting my eating back into the health-promoting zone: eating in a way that makes me feel good emotionally and physically. I had a brush with depression in the fall, followed by a kitchen remodel, and now COVID. All my healthy habits are out the window and I need to make relearning them a priority. 

Tomorrow: 30 min yoga in the morning, DareBee in the afternoon

Meals: Sourdough pancakes with an egg or two and a piece of fruit for breakfast; Leftover sauteed cabbage with turkey/mushroom/zucchini for lunch; Apple and peanut butter for snack; Bread salad with butternut squash along with white beans and kale for dinner. Daughter is making the bread salad :-).

Emily

Welcome! That's great you are building in healthy habits to your daily routine. It's amazing how over time a regular 'dose' of healthy eating and physical activity can improve quality of life. Sounds like you've already put in place several key elements. The tricky part can be to keep doing them for the long-term. That's where I find it essential to have other people I can connect with to share the achievements and struggles. This thread is a great place for that!

• Like 2

With all the added excitement of a hospital visit yesterday, and the nausea from the meds, I missed completing my yoga and push-ups. I did play some volleyball, tennis and walk the dog, though. I tried to do a few push-ups in the evening, but my arms were already exhausted from the ball games. So I'm back to my regular routine today. 

• Like 2

re: treated clothing dh and I just bought permethrin to treat clothes ourselves as with camping trips we sometimes need multiple outfits. Lyme disease is an epidemic here so we try to stay vigilant but ticks are everywhere as we live in the midst of forest. 

Workout done, only 2 sets of 3. Not feeling peppy at all today, I only slept about 5 hrs, PMS hormone shifting plus decreased mag (I forgot to reorder in time so I'm rationing it until my next shipment).

Breakfast done: 1 whole grain gf toast w/ 2 egg omlette, orange and apple w/ pb; plain almond milk w/ protein powder before strength work

Working on my menu and grocery list for my trip tomorrow (I think I will actually go to the store instead of pick up I've missed shopping at Aldi's dearly, they don't have pick up here)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, soror said:

re: treated clothing dh and I just bought permethrin to treat clothes ourselves as with camping trips we sometimes need multiple outfits. Lyme disease is an epidemic here so we try to stay vigilant but ticks are everywhere as we live in the midst of forest.

Yeah, we're in the forest too.

I also have premetherin to treat other clothing. I used it on my work pants and garden clogs. But to treat according to directions, you have to use a ton, and clothes treated that way only last 6 washes (or 42 days, according to bottle) and have to be retreated. You have to do it outside, not breathe it, not get it on your skin, and let it dry. The bottle warnings about what to do if you breathe it or get it on skin are a bit terrifying.  And it also warns about runoff into your yard,  and to make sure you have dry, calm weather so wind doesn't spread it and clothes have enough time to dry (2-4 hrs) before coming inside.  So I'm liking the idea of pretreated clothes that last 70 washes more and more!

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

Do you also have Lyme disease with some of your ticks? Glad your shoulder is back to normal! Wonderful your weight is doing well.

I will look for pre-treated clothing as well. Ticks are pretty new in our area, plus our weather has still been quite cold, so I've not been thinking tick prevention. Now I need to start!

I found some treated trousers half-price last night as well as some socks - it's a decent brand so I'll give them a try.  Yes, we have Lyme - there's a hotspot about five miles from here.  Unfortunately there isn't much knowledge in the general public/doctors about Lyme, so I suspect there may be a lot of people with the effects who are not being diagnosed.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Laura Corin said:

I found some treated trousers half-price last night as well as some socks - it's a decent brand so I'll give them a try.  Yes, we have Lyme - there's a hotspot about five miles from here.  Unfortunately there isn't much knowledge in the general public/doctors about Lyme, so I suspect there may be a lot of people with the effects who are not being diagnosed.

We're like Lyme central here. If you look at a world map of Lyme cases, we're pretty much the bull's-eye. And now we're apparently competing for the same honor with Covid... :huh:

Ah, well, at least we're low risk for earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, and massive wildfires... (knock wood!!)

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

We're like Lyme central here. If you look at a world map of Lyme cases, we're pretty much the bull's-eye. And now we're apparently competing for the same honor with Covid... :huh:

Ah, well, at least we're low risk for earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, and massive wildfires... (knock wood!!)

What kind of tick remover do you have to use for humans and animals? I see a few different types available on-line. I'm not positive which type is the easiest and most effective to use.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wintermom said:

What kind of tick remover do you have to use for humans and animals? I see a few different types available on-line. I'm not positive which type is the easiest and most effective to use.

I just bought a new one. It's got fine tweezers on one end, and a wedge-like scooper on the other. I like to have a separate tool for tick removal - don't want to use the same tweezers for something else after. 

1589212958151-1937639404.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

I use this one. The tick has always come out complete so far.

https://www.ticktwister.co.uk/

• Like 2