Menu

May 2020 well-trained bodies

Laura Corin

4 hours ago, wintermom said:

@Laura Corin  You inspired me to do my morning yoga outside, and it was amazing! It helped that the temperature was pleasant and the birds were chirping. The time seemed to go by a lot faster, and my push-ups seemed easier! Can't beat that. 😉

I'll be playing tennis this afternoon, and I'm also doing some gardening today. I'll try to go for a bike ride after tennis to help squeeze out the lactic acid in the legs. 

Glad it was fun! I did yoga inside today, but it was a good session. The only other exercise was dog grooming and some weeding.

• Like 2

We took a family hike in a reclaimed industrial area. There were beautiful marshes and birds. We even found a Northern Flicker's nest and saw the bird hollowing it out.

I'm rethinking my devotion to WW. I've been able to have one solid week per month of tracking, during which I feel really good, but then get off track again. So maybe it is time to have a new approach. I highly value eating with others, and our family actually eats three meals together per day. I am from California and have a lot of experience with people who have very complicated eating rules, something I don't want to touch with a six-foot pole.

Suggestions for simpler ways to refocus on nourishing foods that make me feel good? I had too much sugar this afternoon and now I just feel sad; not so much out of guilt as just out of too much sugar. Sigh.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

We took a family hike in a reclaimed industrial area. There were beautiful marshes and birds. We even found a Northern Flicker's nest and saw the bird hollowing it out.

I'm rethinking my devotion to WW. I've been able to have one solid week per month of tracking, during which I feel really good, but then get off track again. So maybe it is time to have a new approach. I highly value eating with others, and our family actually eats three meals together per day. I am from California and have a lot of experience with people who have very complicated eating rules, something I don't want to touch with a six-foot pole.

Suggestions for simpler ways to refocus on nourishing foods that make me feel good? I had too much sugar this afternoon and now I just feel sad; not so much out of guilt as just out of too much sugar. Sigh.

I'm loathe to follow diets too. I followed Paleo for 10 yrs, the very strict auto-immune version for a year all for health, not to diet, but I'm over the rules. I will eat meals with my family and have desert. You could look at intuitive eating principles for a non-diet approach- eat slowly, eat until just full, limit or eliminate snacking, be conscious of what you eat- if you want a desert or treat treasure it, don't mindlessly eat anything, drink plenty, aim for foods that nourish most of the time (foods that you feel good eating). 

I had a good day yesterday, we got some work done in the am, had a nap. I had some time to myself in the afternoon and did a lot of cooking and we had time just dh and I, talking, watching tv, and taking a walk.

I did eat too much apple crisp but otherwise ate well.

Today we have more work outside and some general cleaning. I made a double batch of minestrone so I have lunches for me for the week.

food:

bfast:  green juice (celery, green apple, lemon, spinch) and TBD- I generally make a big family breakfast on Sunday- we'll see what everyone wants- maybe french toast- I'll make gf for me and dd and have a smaller portion pared w/ eggs maybe?

lunch: last of 'asian' veggie & grain salad w/ chicken

dinner: leftover stew w/ gf crackers

snack: fruit, nuts, dark chocolate ? Snacks are always a lose plan as sometimes I get too busy or am too full to want any and sometimes I can't seem to fill up.

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

Tennis was really fun yesterday. We played for 2 hr and the temp was wonderful. Had to play through some rain and wind, but the court dried out very quickly. Today is a yard work day to finish spreading the load of topsoil. I'll do my yoga and push-ups, too. Can't miss those! 

I've been experiencing more bloaty feelings with eating. I'm going to cut out the rolled oats and just have berries and eggs for breakfast and see if that helps a little. Next step will be to replace raw sweet pepper with a different veggie in case this is the culprit. 

• Like 1

I  had a migraine that lasted two days.. 

Back at it this am - we got our treadmill on Friday! So I was able to use that today for the first time!! Really nice to walk/run inside since it was so hot here already. Did a 30 minute walk/run and then a strength training session. Super tired from it, but a good tired. 

• Like 3

@EmilyGF I used South Beach to get out of the habit of refined sugar and re-establish a healthy balance. The first phase includes lean protein, moderate fats and lots of healthy veg. The author specifically advises against lingering in that stage. The next stage introduces more kinds of veg and fruit, pulses and whole grains.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

@EmilyGF I used South Beach to get out of the habit of refined sugar and re-establish a healthy balance. The first phase includes lean protein, moderate fats and lots of healthy veg. The author specifically advises against lingering in that stage. The next stage introduces more kinds of veg and fruit, pulses and whole grains.

I will second South Beach.  I find it very doable and non-restrictive, but that might be partly because it includes a lot of things I like to eat - especially pulses (legumes) - which are actually allowed even in the most restrictive sugar-detox Phase 1.  I can't count calories or carbs or restrict things wholesale forever (although I have learned that can't ever add back in refined sugar or white flour in any quantity...).  Guidelines are better.

But even things with guidelines that don't fit the way you like to eat won't work.  Thinking of eating lots of meat and saturated fat (keto) just makes me feel a little ill...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

I will second South Beach.  I find it very doable and non-restrictive, but that might be partly because it includes a lot of things I like to eat - especially pulses (legumes) - which are actually allowed even in the most restrictive sugar-detox Phase 1.  I can't count calories or carbs or restrict things wholesale forever (although I have learned that can't ever add back in refined sugar or white flour in any quantity...).  Guidelines are better.

But even things with guidelines that don't fit the way you like to eat won't work.  Thinking of eating lots of meat and saturated fat (keto) just makes me feel a little ill...

34 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Thanks for pointing me to SB. I've looked at it a few times because I thought it might offer some good guidelines to get back on track, but I was worried about the lack of fruit. I find that eating beans is really important for me wrt feeling good and keeping my weight where I feel good.

14 minutes ago, EmilyGF said:

Thanks for pointing me to SB. I've looked at it a few times because I thought it might offer some good guidelines to get back on track, but I was worried about the lack of fruit. I find that eating beans is really important for me wrt feeling good and keeping my weight where I feel good.

Fruit gets added back in in phase 2. Phase 1 only lasts 14 days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EmilyGF said:

There isn't really a lack of fruit in SB.  There's only a fruit restriction for Phase 1, which is only 2 weeks.  After that, it's just limit (not exclude) high-glycemic fruits, like bananas.  So don't eat 4 oranges and a bunch of bananas every day.  But fruit is definitely allowed.  Just in balance.

I am so with you on needing beans.  Can't ever do keto or Whole 30 type stuff because I need my beans!!!  Having them allowed on Phase 1 of SB is what gets me through the sugar/carb detox phase.  Those calm any carb-cravings and let me feel full.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

It was 65F in the house this morning. I was freezing. It was really cold outside as well. By the afternoon it was perfect weather for doing vigorous yardword. A few hours of digging, spreading topsoil, weeding, etc. was pretty exhausting, and also very satisfying. 😉 

• Like 1