Menu

My girl would like to sew... can children sew?

My 4.5 year old has been asking me about sewing and she has been telling the family all the wonderful things she plans on making them. My dd told ds today to be nice to her or she won't make him a sweater!

What, realistically can I do with her? Should I give her a needle and thread? :eek: :scared: I'm thinking no. Right?

Are there some pre-sewing activities that I can do with her?

I don't sew but I'm sure I could figure it out. (right?) :lol:

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

Give her some plastic canvas and yarn. Go to a craft or fabric store, and you'll probably find some kits (I think you use a plastic needle??), along with the individual supplies for do-it-yourself projects. She can make coasters, boxes, etc...

Thanks. I've never heard of plastic canvas but that sounds like it will be perfect! I'm sure there must be a craft or fabric store around here somewhere.

You could also give her a blunt needle, some fabric and a few large buttons and have her practice sewing them on.

What is a blunt needle?

Do I get a regular needle and rub it on the sidewalk until it is not sharp?

I bet she would enjoy sewing a button. Thanks. :)

Hee hee! You can get blunt needles in packages labeled Embroidery Needles--for things like cross-stitch, where you're aiming between threads, blunt is better. I like the button idea--you can get big buttons with nice big holes. I did the lacing cards and plastic canvas/yarn thing for quite some time before letting my kid have a real needle and thread.

Sure she can sew.

The other posters have some good ideas. I will add to give her some fabric remnants and let her make a tiny patchwork quilt for a doll. Don't worry about teaching her any official sewing right now. Just let her cut a square or two and show her how to sew it on with big stitches.

Another option is for her to sew some pretty patches or designs onto a pillowcase or hand towel.

Hee hee! You can get blunt needles in packages labeled Embroidery Needles--for things like cross-stitch, where you're aiming between threads, blunt is better. I like the button idea--you can get big buttons with nice big holes. I did the lacing cards and plastic canvas/yarn thing for quite some time before letting my kid have a real needle and thread.

:tongue_smilie: aaahh... now I did google "blunt needle" before posting and came up with nothing!

My daughter has done lacing cards but she wants to sew to make something. She has been talking a lot about blankets and sweaters... maybe she wants to knit? :confused: Although she did cut out a picture of a sewing machine from a catalog and GLUED it onto her wall. <Insert bloody finger smilie here>

A great way to start sewing is by stringing big buttons on string (wrap the end with tape very tightly.)

Then move to both of: (1.) plastic canvas with plastic needle - they sell great kits with the pattern printed on or let her make it up or draw it on for her, and (2.) sewing pieces of felt or flannel that you have punched holes around the edges of. For the latter, my m-i-l mae my girls "dolls" (girl-shaped piece) and clothes to sew onto them.

Then move on to: large metal needle and scraps of fabric - teach her to sew in and out in a straight line.

At 5 or 6, she can start working with the sewing machine (depending on her level of concentration - being able to remember to keep her finger out of the way.) Have her sew lines you have drawn on pieces of scrap fabric or even paper. Then she can start making square pillows. From there, the book Stitches and Pins is a great guide to sewing machine work.

About the same age, she can start cross-stitching, needlepoint, etc.

Sure she can sew.

The other posters have some good ideas. I will add to give her some fabric remnants and let her make a tiny patchwork quilt for a doll. Don't worry about teaching her any official sewing right now. Just let her cut a square or two and show her how to sew it on with big stitches.

Another option is for her to sew some pretty patches or designs onto a pillowcase or hand towel.

She would LOVE this! Should I use a blunt needle to sew the squares together or should she be very careful with a sharp needle?

My daughter has done lacing cards but she wants to sew to make something. She has been talking a lot about blankets and sweaters... maybe she wants to knit? :confused: Although she did cut out a picture of a sewing machine from a catalog and GLUED it onto her wall. <Insert bloody finger smilie here>

They also have really cute kits at places like Michaels where they sew a teddy bear or a heart out of felt and then stuff them. She is probably old enough for those. I think my second dd did them at about that age.

If she wants to start learning how to knit, spool knitting is a really great start, or those Nifty Knitter things (you can make scarfs or hats.)

A great way to start sewing is by stringing big buttons on string (wrap the end with tape very tightly.)

Then move to both of: (1.) plastic canvas with plastic needle - they sell great kits with the pattern printed on or let her make it up or draw it on for her, and (2.) sewing pieces of felt or flannel that you have punched holes around the edges of. For the latter, my m-i-l mae my girls "dolls" (girl-shaped piece) and clothes to sew onto them.

Then move on to: large metal needle and scraps of fabric - teach her to sew in and out in a straight line.

At 5 or 6, she can start working with the sewing machine (depending on her level of concentration - being able to remember to keep her finger out of the way.) Have her sew lines you have drawn on pieces of scrap fabric or even paper. Then she can start making square pillows. From there, the book Stitches and Pins is a great guide to sewing machine work.

About the same age, she can start cross-stitching, needlepoint, etc.

Thanks for the great advice!

She has been stringing beads already, so think I'll move right into the kit and the flannel/felt dolls.

Do you mean punch little holes in the flannel where she is to insert the plastic needle?

They also have really cute kits at places like Michaels where they sew a teddy bear or a heart out of felt and then stuff them. She is probably old enough for those. I think my second dd did them at about that age.

If she wants to start learning how to knit, spool knitting is a really great start, or those Nifty Knitter things (you can make scarfs or hats.)

Thanks, great ideas! I just googled spool knitting and it looks really neat.

She would LOVE this! Should I use a blunt needle to sew the squares together or should she be very careful with a sharp needle?

With my own kids I've never been picky about the needle. I use whatever is on hand around the house, and those have always been sharp needles. Take ten or fifteen minutes to teach her how to handle the needle carefully and let her have at it.

Do you mean punch little holes in the flannel where she is to insert the plastic needle?

The kits come with the holes pre-punched, so you open the package and start sewing. My 3 year old DS can even do these little kids with a bit of help (I hold the two sides together and he sews). My kids love to make their own puppets using these sort of kits, and they go quick (about 15 minutes). They come with a plastic blunt needle, and I keep them for extras for later use.

Have fun! Grandparents will love them!

If you can acquire some fabric shopping bags and pre cut some hearts and stars out of felt, she could sew them on for her grandmothers for Christmas. The gift will be useable even if the decoration is a bit, er, loose. Give her a large embroidery needle to use. She'll probably prick herself a few times, but so do the rest of us. A tapestry needle would be too blunt and frustrating for this project.

:)

Rosie

If you can acquire some fabric shopping bags and pre cut some hearts and stars out of felt, she could sew them on for her grandmothers for Christmas. The gift will be useable even if the decoration is a bit, er, loose. Give her a large embroidery needle to use. She'll probably prick herself a few times, but so do the rest of us. A tapestry needle would be too blunt and frustrating for this project.

:)

Rosie

Thanks Rosie, love your ideas! :D

Thanks for the excellent ideas everyone!

I searched online for at least 30 minutes before starting this thread and the only thing that was even remotely close was some Alex brand kits that were too advanced (age 8 and up) and too expensive (nothing less than $30).

Making her grandmothers gifts for Christmas would be great. That is the kind of thing she has been wanting to do and they will love it, I'm sure, even if it's not perfect. :)

My 5 year old ds likes to sit beside me an push the peddle and while I guide. We started this when he was about 4 1/2. For us it is a progression, my 7 year old dd does both peddle pushing and guiding with me sitting beside her to help guiding a key points. I just sit beside my 9 year old dd on tough seams.

This week the kids made dolls. We cut out dd's doll for him and together we sewed the doll. He stuffed it and then I whipped the opening closed. He drew on the face and made clothes (cut a hole in a piece of fabric). In the end I had one proud boy who slept with his doll that night.

My 5 year old ds likes to sit beside me an push the peddle and while I guide. We started this when he was about 4 1/2. For us it is a progression, my 7 year old dd does both peddle pushing and guiding with me sitting beside her to help guiding a key points. I just sit beside my 9 year old dd on tough seams.

This week the kids made dolls. We cut out dd's doll for him and together we sewed the doll. He stuffed it and then I whipped the opening closed. He drew on the face and made clothes (cut a hole in a piece of fabric). In the end I had one proud boy who slept with his doll that night.

:) That's cute. Maybe my 5 year old ds will be interested too.

I don't have a sewing machine so we'll have to hand sew. If my dd (or ds!) is still interested when they are older, I'll get them a sewing machine.

Thanks for sharing!

I have done a simple square pillow about 2 inches square and a sheath dress for a small doll with my then 4 yo and she was very excited about them. We just hand sewed with a blunt needle as has been suggested.

She has also done the kits with prepunched holes and enjoyed them tremedously.

It was a little awkward because my dd is left-handed and I'm not, but she did well and had fun.

Just wanted to add that you can find the kits for little kids from Tuesday Morning, Marshall's, TJ Maxx, AC Moore, those sorts of places for great prices.

I have done a simple square pillow about 2 inches square and a sheath dress for a small doll with my then 4 yo and she was very excited about them. We just hand sewed with a blunt needle as has been suggested.

She has also done the kits with prepunched holes and enjoyed them tremedously.

It was a little awkward because my dd is left-handed and I'm not, but she did well and had fun.

Just wanted to add that you can find the kits for little kids from Tuesday Morning, Marshall's, TJ Maxx, AC Moore, those sorts of places for great prices.

Thank you!

Fleece is a good fabric to learn on b/c it doesn't unravel so there is no need to finish edges. She can make all kinds of things. I personally, at 4.5yo would teach how to use a real needle and thread. Let her work in one spot only (so no lost needles through the house), and only when you are close by. She may have permission to sew as long as she is respecting the tools -the minute she uses the needle for anything other than sewing, she's done for the day. She will prick herself, but probably only once (:tongue_smilie:) and it won't truly hurt her.

She could also use no-sew fabric glue.

My daughter really, really wants to sew, too. She's past the bead stringing and sewing on styrofoam meat trays with holes she's punched. She does still like sewing on plastic canvas shapes. Michael's has some Christmas shapes.

I ordered the My First Sewing Book Kit by Winky Cherry from Rainbow Resource for her for Christmas. I've heard good things about Winky Cherry's beginning sewing books for young children on another board.

I also found a bunch of books with beginner sewing ideas in the children's section at the library. There was one good one, in particular, on sewing on burlap. She can sketch out a shape/picture to sew and add buttons, sequins, beads, etc. as she goes.

yvonne

There is a great website (with pictures) for just this kind of thing. I was going to use the website to teach some of the basics to my 4H kids in Arts & Crafts to get other projects under way. Here is the website: http://www.kids-sewing-projects.com/pre-beginner-sewing-lessons.html. Good luck. My mom taught me when I was about your daughters age so it is really possible to get her sewing soon.

There is a great website (with pictures) for just this kind of thing.

Great link, thanks. :)

I ordered the EZ Stitch Sampler for my daughter for the holidays, so no review yet, but I enjoyed the sample video and I like the way it's laid out to help master different stitches.

That looks interesting, I would love to hear how it works for you.