Menu

TP.....10 Stores------there HAS to be a better way

Ottakee

36 minutes ago, hippiemamato3 said:

Too important? How insulting. You have no idea what my reasons are...or what issues my family might have that would make it difficult.  We are all doing our best - there's absolutely no reason to be insulting because someone doesn't want to use JUNK MAIL or MAGAZINES to wipe themselves. Good Lord. 

Sorry, but you aren't going to convince me that using something besides TP is difficult. As I've pointed out, there are many other options. Now, I completely understand that they aren't your (or mine, frankly) first choice. But if it comes to that or the possibility of spreading germs so far and wide during a pandemic, I will fall firmly in the "suck it up, buttercup, choose an alternative" camp. I can think of zero reasons/issues that make someone "special" enough to think TP is necessary when the alternatives are abundant.

Feel free to persist in your "we have reasons" the alternatives just won't work for us! The history of humanity kind of negates that...(and with that, I'm out of this thread).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, barnwife said:

Sorry, but you aren't going to convince me that using something besides TP is difficult. As I've pointed out, there are many other options. Now, I completely understand that they aren't your (or mine, frankly) first choice. But if it comes to that or the possibility of spreading germs so far and wide during a pandemic, I will fall firmly in the "suck it up, buttercup, choose an alternative" camp. I can think of zero reasons/issues that make someone "special" enough to think TP is necessary when the alternatives are abundant.

Feel free to persist in your "we have reasons" the alternatives just won't work for us! The history of humanity kind of negates that...(and with that, I'm out of this thread).

Meh - I guess the truth is we do feel too good for using leaves or magazines or newspapers, and I'm ok with that. There are ways to get it (pay higher prices, shop multiple stores) and the shortage won't last forever. 

Edited by hippiemamato3

3 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

Most South Asian homes are not set up for that. In fact when we started going back home with our kids, we used to carry TP from here for them and the sewage system got blocked after we left. 

The Scott 1000 single ply is the least sewage system blocking that we tried. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BakersDozen said:

I keep reading and being told about these assurances but when I can't find tp anywhere I don't feel assured at all. I can't find it on-line (yes, I look repeatedly through the day/evening). I've driven to Costco numerous times only to see the stock I was told was there sold out. I so wish Costco had the ability to limit tp purchase to one membership per week (I asked and was told they don't have the capability).

There's something about the tp shortage that is getting to me. I was doing OK...plenty of soup, rice, flour, etc. We have cloth diapers and know how to make do, but I just really want to feel that sense of relief at seeing a package at Costco that I can take home. Just one package...which is what our family uses in one month.

I hope you find some soon.  I don't get if people really are stockpiling tons of it.  Sure have a few weeks or a month on hand.  But buying tons and tons, I don't understand.  

• Like 1

This whole TP thing is such a weird social experiment in scarcity mentality. People overhear fear that their TP is made in China - without actually looking - and copy the poor behavior of those in another hemisphere. Huge blip in the supply. And then it trickles down: families that might otherwise wait a week or two think Oh, there's some in stock better grab some. Hubby stops at the store for milk, honey if you see some TP grab a package, just in case. And it just goes on and on and on. CRAZINESS.

On 4/3/2020 at 10:12 AM, ThisIsTheDay said:

I've missed out at Aldi for weeks. My Kroger was out Wednesday, but a friend scored there on Thursday. Thank you for mentioning Amazon above, I was able to order some this morning, might not be here for a few weeks, but that's when we'll be really needing it.

Hopefully you'll get your Amazon order. I ordered some a few days ago and it was a scammer. Fake tracking number, and suddenly 50+ reviews appeared for that seller saying the same thing.

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Jen500 said:

Hopefully you'll get your Amazon order. I ordered some a few days ago and it was a scammer. Fake tracking number, and suddenly 50+ reviews appeared for that seller saying the same thing.

Well, it was canceled yesterday. My husband mentioned it, so I don't know what happened!

On 4/3/2020 at 11:23 AM, barnwife said:

I’m not hippiemama, and really no one should have to justify their family’s reasons, but I will give you a reason anyway.

Autism...OCD...mental health issues that are already greatly aggravated due to the stress of this pandemic.  I am doing all that I can to keep things running smoothly in my home and without fear of scarcity for as long as possible.  There are people with certain conditions that simply can not “suck it up.”  Sure, if we must, we will do an alternative but it absolutely will cause meltdowns, distress, self-harm, etc.  If you think I’m exaggerating, be thankful that you aren’t coping with this level of impairment and mental health crisis in your family.  Each family has to look at their circumstances and weigh the risks.  Mental health matters too.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, WoolC said:

I’m not hippiemama, and really no one should have to justify their family’s reasons, but I will give you a reason anyway.

Autism...OCD...mental health issues that are already greatly aggravated due to the stress of this pandemic.  I am doing all that I can to keep things running smoothly in my home and without fear of scarcity for as long as possible.  There are people with certain conditions that simply can not “suck it up.”  Sure, if we must, we will do an alternative but it absolutely will cause meltdowns, distress, self-harm, etc.  If you think I’m exaggerating, be thankful that you aren’t coping with this level of impairment and mental health crisis in your family.  Each family has to look at their circumstances and weigh the risks.  Mental health matters too.   

I agree.  I have mood disorder, depression, cognitive impairments, autism spectrum, and fetal alcohol here in my house.  Trying to keep things as normal and sane as possible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WoolC said:

Thank you. Yes. 

• Like 2

I have about 2-3 weeks of TP left before I have to come up with a plan B.  I ordered a bidet attachment that was made in the USA and supposed to arrive Monday, but tracking is showing that it hasn't even shipped yet, so I'm skeptical.  If they jerk me around with that I'll just cancel the order.  I hate when they move the goal post on shipping thinking they'll keep the sale.  I have a small watering can I can use as a lota if I need a plan C.  I've been grocery shopping every 14 days and I'm just not willing to increase my risk of exposure for a TP scavenger hunt.

I don't understand the run on paper towels.  These seem like the easiest thing to live without.  Do people just not own kitchen towels? My new pet peeve is people selling "unpaper towels." We already have a word for towels that aren't made of paper.  They're just TOWELS.

• Like 1