Menu

Not sure if I should let my DD keep working

1GirlTwinBoys

She just turned 17 and works at Kroger in KY.  I really want her to stop working and just stay home during all this.  I just don't know how to handle it with her work.  After all, she is a minor and they have closed schools here.  I do know the managers there and could discuss my concerns.  I just don't want her to lose her job over this. Thoughts? She works in the grocery pick up with online ordering.

ETA: Nobody in our house is over 60 or has any existing health issues.

Edited by 1GirlTwinBoys

Honestly, people who are working in grocery stores are real heroes right now.  Since no one in your house is high risk and she's really of the age range at absolute lowest risk, I'd let her keep the job if she wants to, but I'd definitely want her to change and shower when she gets home.  

• Like 9

We've had several teenagers at work tell us that their parents won't let them work while everything is supposed to be closed.  The boss is completely okay with it and understands.  No one who wants to keep their job during this time will lose it.  They will let the scheduling manager know when they are able to return to work.   I think that any employer worth working for will have the same position and it's worth there being a conversation. 

Another factor is that her staying home may allow more hours for an employee whose spouse was laid off due to this, etc. Maybe discuss with the managers if there are adults who want to work and need the hours, or would she be leaving them in a bad position?

• Like 2

What does your dd think?  I am letting my lowest risk one work at a local food bank daily.  One dd and son in law both work at a large grocery store.  They are still working.  

They are in the lowest risk category, they are otherwise staying home.  I figure that by them working, maybe another higher risk employee won't feel the pressure to come in, or it may allow a parent to stay home with a child, etc.

I don't think there are any clear cut answers here.

• Like 2

I kept my DS 17 home from work today. But he is a cashier at a discount type store that no one needs to be in right now. It is not an essential business. 
i thought to myself, if he were needed at a grocery store, i would reconsider. In your case, I’d call or have her call the manager and see what the situation was. If they truly needed workers and were taking precautions, I’d let her go. Maybe they don’t need her, and your decision is made. Grocery workers are a special category in this situation. 

9 hours ago, 1GirlTwinBoys said:

She works in the grocery pick up with online ordering.

Is she wandering the store picking out the groceries? Do you have any cases in your area? My 17 yo works at Hardee's. She said that she will quit if we get any cases in our county because she doesn't need the money to live off. They called yesterday to let her know that they are going to drive-thru only.