Menu

Coffee maker for guests?

DawnM

Ok, so we had our quarterly student breakfast for students who earned awards today.  We had to have several people bring in their own personal coffee makers because the large machine was down.

Klutzy me broke the one that belonged to the school and I have decided it is fine to just donate my old one to replace it.  

Trying to decide about a coffee maker for guests.  I use the espresso machine for myself and my son, as only 2 of us drink coffee and we like the good stuff.

But for a crowd, I need something else.  Crowd meaning even another couple or two who join us, or visiting friends from out of town, etc..... I do have a French Press but it isn't enough for a crowd, only for 2-4 people at one cup each.

Thoughts?

We have a French press, and I simply brew multiple times when we have company.  We used to have two, but I sent one with DS to college. (It's SO much better than the drip coffeemaker, I'll never go back. ) Unless you entertain crowds all.the.time, I would not bother with a special coffee maker. People understand that coffee appears in batches. It's never been a problem, even with multiple overnight guests.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, regentrude said:

We have a French press, and I simply brew multiple times when we have company.  We used to have two, but I sent one with DS to college. (It's SO much better than the drip coffeemaker, I'll never go back. ) Unless you entertain crowds all.the.time, I would not bother with a special coffee maker. People understand that coffee appears in batches. It's never been a problem, even with multiple overnight guests.

Yeah, I was thinking about it, and honestly, I still have large enough crowds at least a few times per year.  Too many to Maybo several batches and I don't want to get stuck standing there making coffee multiple times and checking on people to see if they want more.  Most of those gatherings I just put it out, people wander around the first floor of my house (some gather in the great room, some in the dining room, etc....and check it every so often.  I can mingle better too when I can make a larger batch.

I am probably just overthinking this and need to just go get something.

I have a Melitta cup that comes with a pot in 6 or 10 cup sizes.  This doesn't keep coffee warm but they do also have them that come with a caraffe to keep the coffee warm after you make it.  I love mine.  I use it for my own coffee and can use for guests but doesn't take up a ton of space like a whole machine.  

https://www.amazon.com/Melitta-640616-Pour-Over-Coffee-Carafe/dp/B000MIT2OK/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=melitta+cup+pot&qid=1582949586&sr=8-1

14 hours ago, DawnM said:

Ok, so we had our quarterly student breakfast for students who earned awards today.  We had to have several people bring in their own personal coffee makers because the large machine was down.

Klutzy me broke the one that belonged to the school and I have decided it is fine to just donate my old one to replace it.  

Trying to decide about a coffee maker for guests.  I use the espresso machine for myself and my son, as only 2 of us drink coffee and we like the good stuff.

But for a crowd, I need something else.  Crowd meaning even another couple or two who join us, or visiting friends from out of town, etc..... I do have a French Press but it isn't enough for a crowd, only for 2-4 people at one cup each.

Thoughts?

I just make pour over for myself and guests (all you need is a funnel), but I do have a small mr coffee for when I have 20 people over and I don’t want to stand over a counter pouring. 

We like the cuisinart coffee maker. Costco regularly carries it for about 60.00. Ours will need replacing soon, so I’ve been looking again. 

Its also on Amazon in several sizes. I prefer it over the black and decker because the burner keeps the coffee st a nicevtemp without getting the burnt taste. 

If it’s fir company I might just get the black and decker.

• Like 1

I have a Bunn with a holding tank so it's instantly hot as soon as the person wants coffee. It's nice when you're going through more than one pot for a dinner party, because the turn around will be very fast. It sounds like you'll be more particular than a Keurig. We don't drink coffee, so that would have been another good choice for us. 

https://www.consumerreports.org/coffee-makers/best-drip-coffee-makers-consumer-reports-tests/  

• Like 1

I like a pot with an insulated carafe instead of a burner to keep it hot. We have a Capresso. This is what we have: Capresso 485.05 MT600 Plus 10-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker with Thermal Carafe. It has a 10 cup pot, and brews fast.

4 minutes ago, Tap said:

I like a pot with an insulated carafe instead of a burner to keep it hot. We have a Capresso. This is what we have: Capresso 485.05 MT600 Plus 10-Cup Programmable Coffee Maker with Thermal Carafe. It has a 10 cup pot, and brews fast.

I was thinking I would like an insulated carafe......the only issue is not being Abel to see how much is left, if there is any left, etc.....but it would be harder to break! 🤣

1 minute ago, DawnM said:

I was thinking I would like an insulated carafe......the only issue is not being Abel to see how much is left, if there is any left, etc.....but it would be harder to break! 🤣

That is a problem with a carafe. Another benefit, is that you can put it where you want, since it is doesn't have to be left on the burner. If you have a large group, you could even have a second carafe brewing while still drinking from the first one. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...