Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

From abc7news https://abc7news.com/5969824/

“OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- Through mid-February, the Port of Oakland had largely escaped any slowdowns related to the spread of the novel coronavirus in Asia, but that appears to be changing.

Port spokesman Mike Zampa says more than 20 container ships from China have cancelled trips to the U.S. west coast over the next four to five weeks.

That's about 20 percent of the ships that import products to Oakland in a given month.
Taylor Chow is president of the Oriental Food Association which imports items like noodles, soy sauce and Asian foods for local markets.

He says most markets and grocery stores stocked up before Chinese New Year, knowing some factories would shut down for the holiday.

But some factories have also been shut down because of coronavirus fears and if that affects shipments to the U.S., stores could suffer shortages.

David Heller, co-owner of Beauty Network in San Francisco's Richmond District, is already seeing some shortages.

The store sells beauty products, and has been unable to restock some hairbrushes and other items made in China.

But he expects things to get worse and projects a downturn in sales and profits for the next quarter.”

2 minutes ago, Paige said:

Could it be that it is mutating like colds do to enable reinfection, or would mutation make it no longer identifiable as cov-19? I'm not sure how that works, but I've always heard we don't have vaccines against cold viruses because they mutate too quickly. Since they are in the same family, I wonder if it is behaving similarly. Here's hoping that it continues to mutate in a way that becomes less harmful to its new hosts. 

The testing that WHO organisation did showed very little of any mutation at this stage.

also because spread is currently low in Japan it seems unlikely that the same person got infected twice from two different sources.

but maybe it’s possible I’m not an epidemiologist.

the expert in the article suggested it might be biphasal like anthrax whatever that means.

• Like 1

Listening to the PM at parliament is actually somewhat reassuring believe it or not.

he did say “although this is not officially a pandemic we are treating it as though it is one” or words to that effect.

they are taking steps to secure supply chain, make sure critical medications continue to be available and set up fever clinics as required.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Listening to the PM at parliament is actually somewhat reassuring believe it or not.

he did say “although this is not officially a pandemic we are treating it as though it is one” or words to that effect.

they are taking steps to secure supply chain, make sure critical medications continue to be available and set up fever clinics as required.  

That’s good .  (I had similar reaction to US President and others, a sort of surprise reaction of reassurance).    I think treating it “like a pandemic “ is exactly what countries capable of doing that are supposed to be doing now.  What the WHO message was with the “preparation for pandemic “ Language.

• Like 1

From CNA https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/china-hubei-coronavirus-covid-19-reward-report-12475446

“SHANGHAI: A city in China's Hubei province, the epicentre of the global coronavirus epidemic, will pay residents as much as 10,000 yuan (US$1,425.96) if they proactively report symptoms of the illness and it is confirmed after testing.

Qianjiang, a city of around one million people located about 150km from the stricken provincial capital of Wuhan, has reported a total of 197 cases so far and is stepping up efforts to ensure its infected people are confined and treated.

The Qianjiang task force handling the epidemic said in a notice that residents would be entitled to the full 10,000 yuan payment if their coronavirus diagnosis is confirmed. Those who have previously been diagnosed will not be eligible.

Those who are not immediately ruled out as suffering from the disease will be given 1,000 yuan, while those declared to be "suspected" cases will earn 2,000 yuan, it said.

Other parts of Hubei, including the Wuhan district of Hanyang and the neighbouring city of Huangguang, have also offered cash rewards for people volunteering for medical checks, but at a much lower rate of around 500 yuan.

Media in the provinces of Jiangxi and Hebei have also reported local cities offering handouts of around 300-500 yuan.

China has previously made it clear that people showing signs of infection would be able to get checked free of charge, and has also made funds available to local governments to ensure there are no financial disincentives preventing people from coming forward.”

4 hours ago, Plum said:

I lived in Suisun for a couple of years, which is right next to Travis Air Force Base. I even took a class at TAFB. That's in Solano County. I'm guessing someone walked out with it on their shoe or from the bus that brought the DP people in or some such scenario. It can't be a coincidence. 

@Joker

from abc7news https://abc7news.com/health/coronavirus-case-of-unknown-origin-confirmed-in-solano-county/5970072/

“UC Davis Health officials say the patient was transferred to their facility from another Northern California hospital on Feb. 19. They say when the patient arrived, they had already been intubated, were on a ventilator, and were given droplet protection orders because of an undiagnosed and suspected viral condition.

According to UC Davis, their team requested COVID-19 testing by the CDC, however, since the patient did not fit the existing CDC criteria for the virus, the test was not immediately administered.

On Sunday, the CDC ordered COVID-19 testing of the patient and the patient was put airborne precautions because of concerns about their condition.

On Wednesday, the CDC confirmed the patient's test was positive.

UC Davis says out of an abundance of caution, it has asked a small number of employees to stay home and monitor their temperature.

It is unknown how the patient contracted the virus. If it was contracted in the United States, it would be the country's first case of it spreading here, as opposed to being exposed overseas.

"At this time, the patient's exposure is unknown. It's possible this could be an instance of community spread of COVID-19, which would be the first time this has happened in the United States. Community spread means spread of an illness for which the source of infection is unknown. It's also possible, however, that the patient may have been exposed to a returned traveler who was infected," the CDC explained in their statement.”

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

It occurred to me with the Middle East spread that this could end up in Syria?  Or refugee camps.  That could be pretty horrendous.

Yes.  And into refugee camps and IDP camps and among refugee populations all over Africa and Asia that are already ignored and getting their funding cut.  Host countries already don’t have the resources to help and international help will only get scarcer.

• Sad 4

34 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

From CNA https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/china-hubei-coronavirus-covid-19-reward-report-12475446

“SHANGHAI: A city in China's Hubei province, the epicentre of the global coronavirus epidemic, will pay residents as much as 10,000 yuan (US$1,425.96) if they proactively report symptoms of the illness and it is confirmed after testing.

Qianjiang, a city of around one million people located about 150km from the stricken provincial capital of Wuhan, has reported a total of 197 cases so far and is stepping up efforts to ensure its infected people are confined and treated.

The Qianjiang task force handling the epidemic said in a notice that residents would be entitled to the full 10,000 yuan payment if their coronavirus diagnosis is confirmed. Those who have previously been diagnosed will not be eligible.

Those who are not immediately ruled out as suffering from the disease will be given 1,000 yuan, while those declared to be "suspected" cases will earn 2,000 yuan, it said.

Other parts of Hubei, including the Wuhan district of Hanyang and the neighbouring city of Huangguang, have also offered cash rewards for people volunteering for medical checks, but at a much lower rate of around 500 yuan.

Media in the provinces of Jiangxi and Hebei have also reported local cities offering handouts of around 300-500 yuan.

China has previously made it clear that people showing signs of infection would be able to get checked free of charge, and has also made funds available to local governments to ensure there are no financial disincentives preventing people from coming forward.”

Is it true though that people have to pay for their quarantine?

10 hours ago, Garga said:

Well, that’s bad news!  And double because we are scheduled to go out to lunch together next Wednesday.  I was really looking forward to hearing all about your trip.  Would it be irresponsible for us to get together now that you have potentially been exposed? Are you going to self-quarantine yourself for the next 2 weeks when you get back?

We can reschedule lunch for sure. I wasn’t planning to quarantine myself but I was thinking it better to lay low. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Is it true though that people have to pay for their quarantine?

I don’t think so. But they do lose wages since they can’t work. 

From SCMP https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3052522/coronavirus-new-hong-kong-quarantine-camps-cost

“Three new Hong Kong camps for quarantining people at risk of carrying the coronavirus will cost more than HK$330 million, including a 600-room site near a plot reserved for Disneyland’s expansion.

Officials said on Tuesday the projects would be partly funded with lottery money, after it was revealed they awarded two contracts to construction companies without the normal tendering process.

They said direct commissioning was necessary because of the projects’ urgency, and the process complied with relevant rules.

Managed by the Social Welfare Department, the Lotteries Fund – from which the bulk of the cash would come – received HK$2.35 billion (US$302 million) in 2018/19, mostly from Mark Six. It is primarily used to finance capital expenditure for welfare projects and provide one-off grants to experimental projects.”

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I don’t think so. But they do lose wages since they can’t work. 

From SCMP https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3052522/coronavirus-new-hong-kong-quarantine-camps-cost

“Three new Hong Kong camps for quarantining people at risk of carrying the coronavirus will cost more than HK$330 million, including a 600-room site near a plot reserved for Disneyland’s expansion.

Officials said on Tuesday the projects would be partly funded with lottery money, after it was revealed they awarded two contracts to construction companies without the normal tendering process.

They said direct commissioning was necessary because of the projects’ urgency, and the process complied with relevant rules.

Managed by the Social Welfare Department, the Lotteries Fund – from which the bulk of the cash would come – received HK$2.35 billion (US$302 million) in 2018/19, mostly from Mark Six. It is primarily used to finance capital expenditure for welfare projects and provide one-off grants to experimental projects.”

It looks like that’s for Hong Kong though?  No stress I’ll look it up later 

Bruce Aylward the WHO guy that went to WuhAn didn’t go into quarantine.  According to one journalist when asked why at the press conference he said he didn’t go into any dirty areas.  Is dirty a common choice of words in quarantine scenarios?  And if he didn’t go actually see how can he say that what we are seeing is a real decline?

tweet from Anna Fifield of Washington post.

“I just asked Bruce Aylward, who was in Wuhan over the weekend, why he was not in quarantine. He said he didn’t go to any “dirty” areas in Wuhan and that he was tested for coronavirus this morning. He hastily left the press conference because he has a plane to catch...”

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Confused 2

From https://komonews.com/news/local/bothell-high-school-closing-thursday-due-to-coronavirus-concerns

“Northshore School District superintendent Michelle Reid said Bothell High School will be closed Thursday "out of an abundance of caution." 

Reid said a staff member at Bothell High School returned to work Monday after a week of international travel. The staffer said a family member traveling with them became sick Tuesday and was taken to the hospital. The family member is being treated, monitored and quarantined at the hospital for possible coronavirus. The test results for the sicked family member may take 5-7 days.

Reid said the school staffer is not sick, but remains in self-quarantine at their home. 

The high school will be cleaned and disinfected Thursday while students remain at home, she said. The district has not decided whether students will return Friday to school.

The Washington Department of Health issued a letter Wednesday afternoon that said the risk to students and staff is minimal. The department said the situation does not warrant closing Bothell High School, but the superintendent opted to close the school as a precautionary measure. ”

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

Is there any country that charge for quarantine? 

Well Australia was going to but that said coming back to Australia from Wuhan was optional.  Plus that includes a flight.  However they back-pedalled.  I had seen it somewhere as an explanation for why people were resisting going and hadn’t had time to follow up and see if there was any truth in it or not.

6 hours ago, Katy said:

You might get a better response if you posted on the main board rather than in this thread, because there are many current or former foster parents who may have checked out of a 44 page thread.

Anyway, I would wait and ask the social worker before buying anything.  The children may have clothes from home, clothes purchased by the current foster parents with a clothing allowance, or they may have very specific taste.  Also depending on your state it's possible they'll be given an allowance for clothing when placed with you.

Well, my specific concern as far as timing goes is because of potential outbreaks or supply issues, so I thought it’d be safer to ask in an area where other people have concerns about outbreaks and supply issues, lol.

• Like 1

Iran reported 104 new cases 4 new deaths

Japan are closing schools from Monday

From BNO - MORE: New case in Valencia, Spain was confirmed in a soccer fan who traveled to Milan for a champions league game on February 19; about 2,500 fans from Valencia traveled to northern Italy that day - El Pais

Thats not great news 

12 minutes ago, Lanny said:

A woman in Japan was infected for the second time with the Coronavirus:

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-infects-woman-in-japan-for-the-second-time-a-first-in-the-country

The article I read earlier suggests it might be biphasic.

I think that means it appears as if patient has made a recovery but virus lies dormant at a very low level and invades the lungs again?  Not very well versed in biology so that’s just what I gleaned from the article. She was released almost four weeks ago, so it’s a long time for it to potentially lay dormant.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does this mean that the person is a spreader the entire time then? And, possibly forever? Could people actually end up like Typhoid Mary...spreaders for life?

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

The article I read earlier suggests it might be biphasic.

I think that means it appears as if patient has made a recovery but virus lies dormant at a very low level and invades the lungs again?  Not very well versed in biology so that’s just what I gleaned from the article. She was released almost four weeks ago, so it’s a long time for it to potentially lay dormant.

• Sad 1

Just now, pitterpatter said:

Does this mean that the person is a spreader the entire time then? And, possibly forever? Could people actually end up like Typhoid Mary...spreaders for life?

Good question! I think in other cases they eventually became symptomatic but were able to spread a lot before that happened.  And presumably they might still be able to clear the virus.  The Japanese case seems to indicate that it can exist for a while at a low level:  maybe it will be like glandular (mono) where it can stay with you and make you sick when you get run down or stressed.

I do know the Australian cases released from quarantine were tested to make sure they didn’t have any virus left so presumably in normal cases the virus completely gets eliminated

Also in China they recalled and quarantined “cured” patients after some tested positive again.  It could be that some people don’t develop immunity and get reinfected but more likely they still had it in their system at a low level.

• Like 2