Menu

Well-Trained Bodies January 2020- Ring in the New Year with Exercise

Soror

4 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

incline walking tends to irritate my knee - but it has been a while. I did use the "random hill" program today and that went okay. 

My walk is comfortably around 3.2, brisk is 3.5. My jog is 4.0-4.5, lol. FASTEST sprint is maybe 6mph when I was in shape and only for 30 seconds, lol. But, I'm 5'1 so my stride isn't very long. I'm blaming that, lol. 

Meanwhile, DH runs much faster than me, but I walk much faster than him! 

Much much much better! I prefer to run outside (treadmills are boring) and asphalt is fine on my joints. Sidewalks are murder on them. 

This is the weird thing - I've been walking all these intense inclines for a good year now, and not a peep from my knees.  So that's why I'm thinking maybe I should do something different.  Or maybe it is just the shoes!

I'm 5'4", but with short legs - like I have to get the 'short' lengths in pants - I have a longer torso.  When I first started, I was totally blaming my short stride, so I'm still really surprised I've gotten that much faster. They suggest 3.5-4.5 mph as a base pace for walkers, and I could barely do 3.  I don't think I could jog now at 4mph - it's now a reasonably comfortable walking pace.  And easier on my knees!

Good to hear about the asphalt.  There are almost no sidewalks here, so that shouldn't be a problem!  I likely won't run outside unless I do a 5k or my rowing coach makes us do running warm-ups again - wait, I think that is on concrete, as it's along the riverwalk.  I shall try to run in the grass at the side instead...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Personally, after decades of running, I'd stick with walking but increase the speed. It's so much easier on your joints. Get outside and walk up and down hills, rather than simply putting on a steady incline. That incline on 100% of the time is forcing your knees to over-extend when they don't need to. It's going to eventually cause some pain. You'll also start walking faster if you don't have a machine forcing you to do a steady speed, or at least you will vary your speed which is going to be better for your body.  Mix things up a little, and you'll have more opportunities to strengthen a variety of muscles all around your body.

They do vary inclines all over the place for the walkers at OT.  Up, back down, steeper, less steep.  My 'base' is at 3%; I usually do pushes at 6-10% (depending on time length), and my all-outs are now at 12-15%.  I don't think I can walk faster than 4.3 mph (see the short leg note above 😉 ).  Maybe I could get to 4.5?  But I feel like I've pretty much maxed that out...

I am still not running any inclines.  On 'Strength' days they have the runners do inclines - then I go back to walking.  On other days the runners usually stay at 1% incline and just vary speed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Asphalt is softer than concrete, yes.  But the research evidence seems to be:  If you've got good knees, running (any surface) won't hurt them.  If you've got bad knees, everything will hurt them.  🤷‍♀️

I've never had knee problems thus far, even with all the uphill walking...  so I'm not sure what's going on.  Anyone know what it is that's being sore?  Muscle?  Tendon?  Any helpful stretches for this? 

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Asphalt is softer than concrete, yes.  But the research evidence seems to be:  If you've got good knees, running (any surface) won't hurt them.  If you've got bad knees, everything will hurt them.  🤷‍♀️

Yeah - one of my knees is fine, the other not so much. After running it often felt "weird". Not painful at all, but like maybe swollen? Just..odd. Now, in my 40's, that knee is the one that hurst like the dickens if I sit cross legged too long, etc. Maybe instead of running I need to learn to hop, lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Matryoshka said:

I've never had knee problems thus far, even with all the uphill walking...  so I'm not sure what's going on.  Anyone know what it is that's being sore?  Muscle?  Tendon?  

Often when using new muscle, and running does use different muscles than walking, the place that gets sore in the beginning is right where it inserts - right at the very end of the muscle. So that very well could be your quadricep muscle. 

Galloway stressed alternating running and walking to avoid injury. I'm not mentally able to do that...once I stop, I'm stopped, lol. It is easier for me mentally to just run until I can't. But...I have a bad knee so don't listen to me, lol. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

Often when using new muscle, and running does use different muscles than walking, the place that gets sore in the beginning is right where it inserts - right at the very end of the muscle. So that very well could be your quadricep muscle. 

Galloway stressed alternating running and walking to avoid injury. I'm not mentally able to do that...once I stop, I'm stopped, lol. It is easier for me mentally to just run until I can't. But...I have a bad knee so don't listen to me, lol. 

I'm all about alternating the running and walking, lol!  That's why I'm still walking my 'base' pace, and on hilly days.  So, today, we did all those 2 min 'pushes', but then I walked all the base paces, which were in between, and were 30, 60, 90, and 2 min long (each interval gave us more recovery time.  Actually, I think today they weren't base paces, but 'walking recovery', so even the runners were walking (I do 'walking recovery' at only 3mph).

That's interesting about the soreness at insert point.  That seems like exactly where it is - where the muscle attaches to the kneecap tendon (been looking at anatomy diagrams to try to figure this out, lol).

48 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I always felt it easier to just keep running too because I could get into the stride better but I'm going to give this another go since I'm doing it with dd1, we'll see.

58 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

This is the weird thing - I've been walking all these intense inclines for a good year now, and not a peep from my knees.  So that's why I'm thinking maybe I should do something different.  Or maybe it is just the shoes!

I'm 5'4", but with short legs - like I have to get the 'short' lengths in pants - I have a longer torso.  When I first started, I was totally blaming my short stride, so I'm still really surprised I've gotten that much faster. They suggest 3.5-4.5 mph as a base pace for walkers, and I could barely do 3.  I don't think I could jog now at 4mph - it's now a reasonably comfortable walking pace.  And easier on my knees!

Good to hear about the asphalt.  There are almost no sidewalks here, so that shouldn't be a problem!  I likely won't run outside unless I do a 5k or my rowing coach makes us do running warm-ups again - wait, I think that is on concrete, as it's along the riverwalk.  I shall try to run in the grass at the side instead...

I'm 5'4" too I don't think my legs are more average, regular pants usually fit and my torso is shorter. I like to walk at 3.5-4 on the treadmill but walking outside I cannot go that fast. I don't know how @Laura Corin walks so fast, I can't figure out how to go any faster. On the treadmill, I've ran at 11 min mile, which looks like is 5.5 mph maybe? It doesn't feel like I'm going very fast or that my exertion level is too high but my HR stays up. I am not sure what I ran at before and if I'm any faster. It feels better than it did before. I'm not my speed this morning, it is the first time I ran outside in ages, I don't know how to check pace on such a short run bursts interspersed with the walking. 

1 minute ago, Laura Corin said:

@soror I'm 5'4" too. I take a 32" trouser leg, so my legs are long-ish for my height. 

@Matryoshka: My usual suggestion of Nordic Walking if you find your knees don't like running. I took it up after running made it clear that one of my knees is arthritic. It's low impact, full body exercise.

Is the trouser leg thing an inseam measurement?  My mom is (or was) 5'7", and (before she shrank) we were the same size when we sat down.

Nordic walking sounds great.  I'm just not sure where I could do it here.  The US is horrible for pedestrian walking.  Most people here who walk/run for exercise just have to do it on the road.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Is the trouser leg thing an inseam measurement?  My mom is (or was) 5'7", and (before she shrank) we were the same size when we sat down.

Nordic walking sounds great.  I'm just not sure where I could do it here.  The US is horrible for pedestrian walking.  Most people here who walk/run for exercise just have to do it on the road.

Yes, inseam. 

No trails near you? You can NW on hard surfaces too, but I find soft surfaces more rewarding. I use a beach or a sports field.

• Like 2

Just now, Laura Corin said:

Yes, inseam. 

No trails near you? You can NW on hard surfaces too, but I find soft surfaces more rewarding. I use a beach or a sports field.

Yeah, my inseam's only 28".  

There are trails, but they're mostly narrow and hilly with rocks and tree roots. I basically live in a huge forest!  Only small lake beaches closer than an hour.  Sports fields, but then I'd have to walk in circles (whine!). 😏  I think there is a wider trail not far from here that might be okay - I should check it out.  Just not sure how long it is - I think the wide part might peter out into narrower hilly places.  Where do you get the nifty poles?  If I could find a place to go, I think I'd like it better than regular walking or attempting trail running.  Many years ago I used to enjoy cross-country skiing; this seems similar but with no skis?  Hmmm... just thought of one other trail that might be doable...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Yeah, my inseam's only 28".  

There are trails, but they're mostly narrow and hilly with rocks and tree roots. I basically live in a huge forest!  Only small lake beaches closer than an hour.  Sports fields, but then I'd have to walk in circles (whine!). 😏  I think there is a wider trail not far from here that might be okay - I should check it out.  Just not sure how long it is - I think the wide part might peter out into narrower hilly places.  Where do you get the nifty poles?  If I could find a place to go, I think I'd like it better than regular walking or attempting trail running.  Many years ago I used to enjoy cross-country skiing; this seems similar but with no skis?  Hmmm... just thought of one other trail that might be doable...

I got my poles off Amazon. They are made by Leki. It's worth studying some videos or getting a lesson or two to get the action right, otherwise you won't get the full benefit. It's not the same as using hiking poles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I got my poles off Amazon. They are made by Leki. It's worth studying some videos or getting a lesson or two to get the action right, otherwise you won't get the full benefit. It's not the same as using hiking poles.

Is it kind of similar to the way you use nordic ski poles?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

@soror I'm 5'4" too. I take a 32" trouser leg, so my legs are long-ish for my height. 

@Matryoshka: My usual suggestion of Nordic Walking if you find your knees don't like running. I took it up after running made it clear that one of my knees is arthritic. It's low impact, full body exercise.

Looks like my inseam is about 30, how funny we are all the same height but such a variation in legs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Laura Corin said:

I think so. Do they angle backwards so that you can use them to drive you forwards?

Maybe the new fancy ones.  I haven't x-country skiied in over 20 years, and it seems like a lot has gone high-tech with new boot bindings and ski bottom surfaces and fancy poles.  But even with the old straight poles I used, you are supposed to hold them angled back at about 45º or so and use them to drive you forward.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Maybe the new fancy ones.  I haven't x-country skiied in over 20 years, and it seems like a lot has gone high-tech with new boot bindings and ski bottom surfaces and fancy poles.  But even with the old straight poles I used, you are supposed to hold them angled back at about 45º or so and use them to drive you forward.

That sounds like a similar action. NW poles have a a harness for your hands, so you only hold the pole lightly with two fingers - the harness takes the force of the stroke.

• Like 1

Trying to figure out my workout schedule for today, I didn't think about hiking Wednesday when I planned. Dd1 also didn't think about that when planning her running, I'm not sure what she'll do. I think I'll do lower body this am along with my lifting (that I usually do in the evening but no TKD today so doing at home). Tomorrow I'll do yoga, it is light and short and will not fatigue me before our hike.

I just started reading Atomic Habits, I'm already in love, a lot of nodding along and also revelations that I didn't think of it that way before.

• Like 2

I did not end up running with the dogs yesterday, which was good, lol. I was going to grab one of them and try running a bit but then the baby woke up and wanted to go, and then she wanted all the dogs to go, and then she wanted DS7 and DD9 to go, and they needed to get outside anyway, and then DH said he'd go, so we went for a mile walk around the neighborhood with all three dogs and all the kids.

And I got to bed at a somewhat decent hour. 

Food was better, but I really need to cut carbs out. Between looking at my food diary and having some other bariatric patients I found online look at it is super obvious that I'm fine till I eat carbs and then I start craving more and more food. I had stopped doing low carb when DD was little as low carb dried up my milk too much but although she's still nursing she's nearly 3 yrs old and doesn't need the nutrition, just the comfort and immunity. So I think it is okay to put me first now and do what I need to do. (all kids nursed until nearly 4 yrs old so unlikely she will wean, but if she does that's totally fine). 

Today and tomorrow there is no kids club at the gym so DH offered to watch the kids for me to go there, tanning, whatever (just doing about 5 minutes twice a week to help with SAD symptoms). So I think today I'll do upper body. GRR, I don't love upper body, and thighs are still sore from the other day, lol. But I know me, and I'll be sore for a week after starting new exercise routine so it just is what it is. 

• Like 2

@Ktgrok Carbs are tough for me too.  It's like they flip some sort of switch in my brain that makes me want to stuff food in my mouth, even the high fiber stuff.  I have hypoglycemia so maybe it's related, who knows!  I did low carb when I first started losing weight about 2 1/2 years ago and it really can jumpstart things.  I lost 20 lbs pretty quickly in conjunction with higher activity levels.  I eventually had to add them back in as my training got harder and more frequent, and it's been hard to make sure my portions stay reasonable, lol.  Anyways, I think you have a good plan.  And it's awesome that your husband will be parent on duty so you can work out.  A supportive husband is a huge help!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

@Ktgrok Carbs are tough for me too.  It's like they flip some sort of switch in my brain that makes me want to stuff food in my mouth, even the high fiber stuff.  I have hypoglycemia so maybe it's related, who knows!  I did low carb when I first started losing weight about 2 1/2 years ago and it really can jumpstart things.  I lost 20 lbs pretty quickly in conjunction with higher activity levels.  I eventually had to add them back in as my training got harder and more frequent, and it's been hard to make sure my portions stay reasonable, lol.  Anyways, I think you have a good plan.  And it's awesome that your husband will be parent on duty so you can work out.  A supportive husband is a huge help!

He truly is supportive. He didn't blink or ask how much it cost when I said I wanted to join a gym again. And when I was debating which one, and said the one was more expensive but...I didn't finish the sentence before he said "you know you liked that one before, you should join that one". 

And he supported me through my surgery even though the idea of me under anesthesia scared the living daylights out of him. (by that I mean he was moral support - he did his best but he will never have a second career as a nurse, lol. When he later had surgery and I took care of him he kept commenting on how much better care I gave him than he did me, lol)

First though, I'm going to the dog park today. They need exercise too! naughty buggers have been chewing up ornaments and just in general being a bit naughty, which is my cue they need more exercise and more structure. 

• Like 4

Yesterday didn't go quite according to plan due to some random stuff cropping up, but I did get my morning kettlebell challenge workout in and did some strenuous yard work in the afternoon.  I missed my CKD class, but maybe it was all for the best.  After basically no sleep the night before, I wasn't feeling too with it.  I hate going to class and being so out of it that I'm like, wait, which is my right side again?  What's a front kick?  Ugh. 

I'm all recharged today though after sleeping till 7:30 (!!!!) and have planned another dumbbell-focused workout to keep experimenting with different movements and weights.  It's fun being able to basically replicate the big compound barbell movements with heavy dumbbells! 

Y'all that do fitness videos online, have you ever come across yoga-ish stuff for seniors that is worth the time?  My mom wants to get started with moving around more.  She's in her late 60s and while in good health and fairly active, has lost a lot of strength recently.  I am having her do some gentle variations of bodyweight movements (wall pushups, chair squats, etc) but I think a yoga video type thing would be good for her too.

• Like 2

I’d like to join this thread! I have some exercise goals for 2020 and it would be great to have a place to post to stay accountable. i just turned 44 and am not a natural with exercise. But I just feel like this is my year to start and hopefully make it a normal part of my life.  

I’ve been dealing with some anxiety lately and I went to see a counselor (that I really like!). However, she doesn’t take insurance and I just didn’t feel like I wanted to pay the $$ to see her (the thought of spending that much out of pocket was actually making my anxiety worse). So, after thinking more about it, I decided to sign up for a beginners yoga class. It starts on January 9 and I’m both excited and nervous. I’ve never done yoga before and it’s been YEARS since I’ve done any type of exercise class. I think both the yoga and the getting around other people may help with my mental health. 

The other thing I’m doing is walking more. I got an Apple Watch for Christmas so it’s been fun to focus on my activity and steps again (I had a Fitbit Alta that I loved, but it stopped working earlier last year). An acquaintance  on Facebook (sort of friend...she is the mom of a girl that dd dances with) posted about a challenge called Run the Year. She was looking for people to join her team. So there are five of us on a team and we have to split 2020 miles, which is only 404 miles each. We are going to use “intentional miles”, so not just regular walking steps. I’m not a runner, so I will be walking mine. I had to pay $25 to join this challenge, so I’m hoping that I stay involved and complete it. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Wait, are you talking about your dogs or my sons?  🤣

That sounds like my sons!! They definitely need some physical exercise. They don't chew on Christmas ornaments, but rather breakfast cereal and milk. We must go through gallons of milk and cereal here. 😉

• Like 3

The freezing ice pellets and rain stopped in the night and turned to snow. So now there are a few inches of snow on the ground and roads to "enjoy." I'll be out skiing and snowshoeing and having fun. If I have to drive anywhere, I'll be silently cursing the lack of snow plows.  Maybe I'll just avoid driving today! 😉

So the "fun" of winter has begun, along with all snow, freezing rain, and ice it has to offer for the next 3 months!! 

Luckily it is pretty out there, with the snow sticking to all the tree limbs.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Just Kate said:

I’d like to join this thread! I have some exercise goals for 2020 and it would be great to have a place to post to stay accountable. i just turned 44 and am not a natural with exercise. But I just feel like this is my year to start and hopefully make it a normal part of my life.  

I’ve been dealing with some anxiety lately and I went to see a counselor (that I really like!). However, she doesn’t take insurance and I just didn’t feel like I wanted to pay the $$ to see her (the thought of spending that much out of pocket was actually making my anxiety worse). So, after thinking more about it, I decided to sign up for a beginners yoga class. It starts on January 9 and I’m both excited and nervous. I’ve never done yoga before and it’s been YEARS since I’ve done any type of exercise class. I think both the yoga and the getting around other people may help with my mental health. 

The other thing I’m doing is walking more. I got an Apple Watch for Christmas so it’s been fun to focus on my activity and steps again (I had a Fitbit Alta that I loved, but it stopped working earlier last year). An acquaintance  on Facebook (sort of friend...she is the mom of a girl that dd dances with) posted about a challenge called Run the Year. She was looking for people to join her team. So there are five of us on a team and we have to split 2020 miles, which is only 404 miles each. We are going to use “intentional miles”, so not just regular walking steps. I’m not a runner, so I will be walking mine. I had to pay $25 to join this challenge, so I’m hoping that I stay involved and complete it. 

Welcome!  Sounds like you have some solid plans! 

I just wanted to encourage you that exercise has been huge for mental health for me.  I think you're definitely right that the movement and the social aspect will be helpful--that's what my martial arts class does for me.  Looking forward to hearing how everything goes for you!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I did not end up running with the dogs yesterday, which was good, lol. I was going to grab one of them and try running a bit but then the baby woke up and wanted to go, and then she wanted all the dogs to go, and then she wanted DS7 and DD9 to go, and they needed to get outside anyway, and then DH said he'd go, so we went for a mile walk around the neighborhood with all three dogs and all the kids.

And I got to bed at a somewhat decent hour. 

Food was better, but I really need to cut carbs out. Between looking at my food diary and having some other bariatric patients I found online look at it is super obvious that I'm fine till I eat carbs and then I start craving more and more food. I had stopped doing low carb when DD was little as low carb dried up my milk too much but although she's still nursing she's nearly 3 yrs old and doesn't need the nutrition, just the comfort and immunity. So I think it is okay to put me first now and do what I need to do. (all kids nursed until nearly 4 yrs old so unlikely she will wean, but if she does that's totally fine). 

Today and tomorrow there is no kids club at the gym so DH offered to watch the kids for me to go there, tanning, whatever (just doing about 5 minutes twice a week to help with SAD symptoms). So I think today I'll do upper body. GRR, I don't love upper body, and thighs are still sore from the other day, lol. But I know me, and I'll be sore for a week after starting new exercise routine so it just is what it is. 

It is hard to get macros tweaked just right, I'm sure especially so with the added challenge of bariatric surgery, as you said before return to what worked for you before is a good idea. I do not do low carb but I try to keep to whole grains, starchy veggies, legumes, and fruit keeping to reasonable serving sizes and eating the bulk in earlier hours. Sometimes working out again when you are sore can help work out the soreness, so it might actually help. Upper body strength is just harder for us chicks but it is good to work on as it is something we use, let us know how your session goes.

3 hours ago, seekinghim45 said:

I'm about 3/4 the way through.  Still trying to figure out how to implement it in my life.  I don't have a regular schedule to tack things on.  Even making things easier like carrying around a water bottle all the time doesn't work.  Sigh.

Went walking twice yesterday because I'm at my MIL.  Other than that I sat in a chair all day which I normally don't do at home.  I'm always changing laundry, going outside, cleaning out something in between my school work.  Feeling stir crazy and I still have 3 days left here.  And there is SO much junk...chocolate ( my weakness ) everywhere for me to grab.  

It is so much harder when outside your home and I'm sure a big challenge to work on implementing good habits with so much change but you are working on it and thinking about it, that is the first step.

2 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

Yesterday didn't go quite according to plan due to some random stuff cropping up, but I did get my morning kettlebell challenge workout in and did some strenuous yard work in the afternoon.  I missed my CKD class, but maybe it was all for the best.  After basically no sleep the night before, I wasn't feeling too with it.  I hate going to class and being so out of it that I'm like, wait, which is my right side again?  What's a front kick?  Ugh. 

I'm all recharged today though after sleeping till 7:30 (!!!!) and have planned another dumbbell-focused workout to keep experimenting with different movements and weights.  It's fun being able to basically replicate the big compound barbell movements with heavy dumbbells! 

Y'all that do fitness videos online, have you ever come across yoga-ish stuff for seniors that is worth the time?  My mom wants to get started with moving around more.  She's in her late 60s and while in good health and fairly active, has lost a lot of strength recently.  I am having her do some gentle variations of bodyweight movements (wall pushups, chair squats, etc) but I think a yoga video type thing would be good for her too.

I've not seen yoga for seniors but I've not looked for it. I'm sorry the day didn't go as planned but you are right a day of rest was probably good. Ya for sleeping in!!! You are going to be trying all kinds of new things with your new weights.

1 hour ago, Just Kate said:

Welcome! Let us know how the yoga class go. I have seen some of the 2020 walking/running challenges but haven't decided if 

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

The freezing ice pellets and rain stopped in the night and turned to snow. So now there are a few inches of snow on the ground and roads to "enjoy." I'll be out skiing and snowshoeing and having fun. If I have to drive anywhere, I'll be silently cursing the lack of snow plows.  Maybe I'll just avoid driving today! 😉

So the "fun" of winter has begun, along with all snow, freezing rain, and ice it has to offer for the next 3 months!! 

Luckily it is pretty out there, with the snow sticking to all the tree limbs.

Yuck, be careful out there, sounds like a recipe for getting hurt.

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

Workout done--

65 min total: Morning Meltdown Lower Body + Ultimate Pull-Up Program (went back and forth with upper and lower) and at the end I did my bucket carry outside- 7 min straight up hill and down, really pushed my heart which was already up there, but it felt easier than last time. I timed it this time so I have a reference point for improvement. I had 27 min peak, 27 min cardio and the rest fat burn for a weights workout.

Had a protein shake afterwards: 1 cup plain nf greek yogurt, 1 cup unsweet almond milk, 1/2 large steamed beet, 3/4 cup raspberries, 1 scoop grassfed whey protein powder (w/ stevia) and 1T cocoa

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IvyInFlorida said:

This isn't yoga but it is truly senior friendly, beginner friendly (unlike a lot of "beginner" classes that start where I was looking to end up) https://dailyburn.com/program/true_beginner

They also have this Yoga Fundamentals but I can't remember if it is truly beginner or not. https://dailyburn.com/program/yoga_fundamentals

There is also a mobility program as well. 

• Like 3

I want to have a baby this year, so limits.

Prolapse - Do my exercises 3X week.
Back injury - Tai Chi followed by The Ultimate Yogi.
Diet - Redeveloping our Whole30/fasting lifestyle that works well for me.
Endurance - Bought a treadmill, maybe use it?
Strength - Undecided. Focusing on back and prolapse right now.

It all boils down to the schedule. If I can keep us on track, going to bed on time and getting up in the morning we're great.

• Like 4

Dd and I took the dog for a little skate ski in the local park. It's so fun when you can ski right from the front door and up the street. I love watching people's reactions when I ski by them while they're driving or shovelling snow. 😂

We also did some "yard work" in the backyard moving our camper trailer and moving a sun shelter. Fun to do in the snow! We didn't get our van stuck in the backyard, which is a huge bonus. 😉

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Galloway stressed alternating running and walking to avoid injury

Zombie chases! I just escaped from a few packs this morning.

Exercise Goals/Plans for this year: pretty much the same as last year, as they've been working well. I slacked a bit but I'm getting back up to speed.

1. Running. More local fun runs; more whole-family runs along our awesome City trails, especially around Town Lake; keep up the Zombie chases to work on speed; fearlessly wear the fabulous festive running gear that makes Teenager raise her eyebrows.
2. Biking. Teenager fixed up my bike, I got a new and colorful helmet for the New Year (see above) and I'm biking more to fetch groceries.
3. Weights. Continuing Menopausal Strength Workout videos with Judy Torel. I love Judy.
4. Pilates. Core!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I just went for a snowshoe around the neighbourhood. It's gorgeous out there with lots of fresh snow, mild temperatures and holiday time. Lots of kids playing outside enjoying the packing snow, too.  I'll rest up for our big games night of the year, and tomorrow dh and I are playing tennis with our friends. Fun way to celebrate the new year!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Slache said:

I want to have a baby this year, so limits.

Prolapse - Do my exercises 3X week.
Back injury - Tai Chi followed by The Ultimate Yogi.
Diet - Redeveloping our Whole30/fasting lifestyle that works well for me.
Endurance - Bought a treadmill, maybe use it?
Strength - Undecided. Focusing on back and prolapse right now.

It all boils down to the schedule. If I can keep us on track, going to bed on time and getting up in the morning we're great.

Yes, limits are good, progress is good and focusing on what works with your personal goals.

4 hours ago, wintermom said:

Dd and I took the dog for a little skate ski in the local park. It's so fun when you can ski right from the front door and up the street. I love watching people's reactions when I ski by them while they're driving or shovelling snow. 😂

We also did some "yard work" in the backyard moving our camper trailer and moving a su

n shelter. Fun to do in the snow! We didn't get our van stuck in the backyard, which is a huge bonus. 😉

LOL, as we have so little snow here that is hard to imagine.

6 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Three mile dog walk with Husband. 20 minute back and hip stretch yoga. No junk eaten. Fizzy wine tonight.

So nice you got to walk with dh. What is fizzy wine??

4 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

Exercise Goals/Plans for this year: pretty much the same as last year, as they've been working well. I slacked a bit but I'm getting back up to speed.

1. Running. More local fun runs; more whole-family runs along our awesome City trails, especially around Town Lake; keep up the Zombie chases to work on speed; fearlessly wear the fabulous festive running gear that makes Teenager raise her eyebrows.
2. Biking. Teenager fixed up my bike, I got a new and colorful helmet for the New Year (see above) and I'm biking more to fetch groceries.
3. Weights. Continuing Menopausal Strength Workout videos with Judy Torel. I love Judy.
4. Pilates. Core!

I've never heard of that app, how fun. How cool that you can bike to get groceries.

3 hours ago, wintermom said:

I just went for a snowshoe around the neighbourhood. It's gorgeous out there with lots of fresh snow, mild temperatures and holiday time. Lots of kids playing outside enjoying the packing snow, too.  I'll rest up for our big games night of the year, and tomorrow dh and I are playing tennis with our friends. Fun way to celebrate the new year!

BEautiful, have fun tonight.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

4. Pilates. Core!

Oh my.  I finally gave in and checked the Zombie chase link.  That might actually be a way to get me to run in the real world!  I also want to bike more next year.  I tuned my bike and swapped out the handlebars for ones I like better in the fall but only got out on it once.  Hope for more next warm season.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 4

I had a bit of a craptastic day. Long and complicated but boils down to a whole bunch of paperwork that people messed up every way possible, which in the end has screwed me over 5 ways to Sunday. Now, I'm awaiting a call on Thursday to see if this can be fixed or I have to shell out cash for what is essentially a money grab, I'm so pissed. I felt physically ill over it and after pushing myself physically this am working out and then the mental stress of this I felt like a wrung out rag. I took a hot bath and a fitful nap.

And I'm going to have to tweak meal times if I'm doing running in am with other workouts. The hard workouts suppress my appetite and then come afternoon I'm hangry. Yesterday I had 2 fair size afternoon snacks and the same today (usually I do 1 small afternoon snack), so my post workout breakfast was the same size as usual but I expended a fair amount more calories and then had smallish lunches. I woke up a bit hungry today out of the gate, which is usually not the case. I knew I already needed to increase a bit from how it has been going the last few weeks but upping activity even more this week I'll have to get on it. I'm going to relook at meal plans in Roar. And I need to recalibrate my calorie needs for maintenance on Precision Nutrition calculator and track to make sure I'm hitting my macros (as I dropped that during the holidays). Being hungry and then stressed today I ate TOO much chocolate and feel even ickier, blech.

I told dh I'm not cooking, can't bring myself to do it. I've got a cauliflower pizza in the freezer and I'll have a serving of that w/ some fresh veggies.

Tomorrow we're doing a family hike that I'm very excited about, I'm planning 3-4 miles, somewhat rough terrain but nothing crazy and our pace will be on the slower end as my youngest is only 7. I'll do some light yoga (20ish) minutes in the am.

I'm going to *try* and not think about the upcoming phone call and all of that crap, try. At this point, I can't do anything but it is so frustrating.

• Sad 4

my fitness goals this year is to just keep going with what I 've been doing   I started round 2 of the 60 day #all or nothing beach body body beast challenge.   And most days I walk a couple miles with my husband.  We have several hills with various degree of incline so it is cardio workout.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, soror said:

I had a bit of a craptastic day. Long and complicated but boils down to a whole bunch of paperwork that people messed up every way possible, which in the end has screwed me over 5 ways to Sunday. Now, I'm awaiting a call on Thursday to see if this can be fixed or I have to shell out cash for what is essentially a money grab, I'm so pissed. I felt physically ill over it and after pushing myself physically this am working out and then the mental stress of this I felt like a wrung out rag. I took a hot bath and a fitful nap.

And I'm going to have to tweak meal times if I'm doing running in am with other workouts. The hard workouts suppress my appetite and then come afternoon I'm hangry. Yesterday I had 2 fair size afternoon snacks and the same today (usually I do 1 small afternoon snack), so my post workout breakfast was the same size as usual but I expended a fair amount more calories and then had smallish lunches. I woke up a bit hungry today out of the gate, which is usually not the case. I knew I already needed to increase a bit from how it has been going the last few weeks but upping activity even more this week I'll have to get on it. I'm going to relook at meal plans in Roar. And I need to recalibrate my calorie needs for maintenance on Precision Nutrition calculator and track to make sure I'm hitting my macros (as I dropped that during the holidays). Being hungry and then stressed today I ate TOO much chocolate and feel even ickier, blech.

I told dh I'm not cooking, can't bring myself to do it. I've got a cauliflower pizza in the freezer and I'll have a serving of that w/ some fresh veggies.

Tomorrow we're doing a family hike that I'm very excited about, I'm planning 3-4 miles, somewhat rough terrain but nothing crazy and our pace will be on the slower end as my youngest is only 7. I'll do some light yoga (20ish) minutes in the am.

I'm going to *try* and not think about the upcoming phone call and all of that crap, try. At this point, I can't do anything but it is so frustrating.

So sorry you got saddled with all the paperwork complications.

Your family hike tomorrow sounds wonderful!  Have a great time.

What part of the pizza is cauliflower?  I used to make my own pizza and put broccoli on it; leeks, too. That was before kids, though. I can only imagine the whining if I tried to do that now. 😂

I just took the dog for a long walk. It's so beautiful outside with the fresh snow, Christmas lights and mild temps. I've almost made it to midnight!! 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2