Menu

I am so bad with waiting to give gifts

DawnM

Ha. The first 6 years of my marriage (before kids and Santa came into play), I was notorious for giving/opening Christmas presents early. I just couldn't resist! (I'm terrible at delayed gratification....)

We actually still do early-Christmas because we travel, and I don't want to take stuff with us. Santa always came to our house sometime around the 15-20th (depending on where weekends fell). This year, we'll be opening presents Monday morning and I can't wait!

We nearly always get into gifts early.  Especially for things like warm slippers or robe or coat etc where the weather/time for needing them comes sooner than the holiday.  Or new earbuds which are needed, and everyone knows there will be a pair in a stocking.  I gave up on the Xmas is the day for gifts idea because it wasn’t working well. 

• 2 years later...

I am the exact same way.  I think of gift ideas all year long and it’s even a part of my journal.  Knowing I have something waiting for someone that they will love it brings me giddiness! With that being said, we didn’t find out the gender of any of our kids during ultrasounds.  That anticipation didn’t make me feel impatient at all.  Giving thoughtful gifts makes me happy.

1 hour ago, purpleowl said:

I really hope @DawnM has not had to wait almost 3 years for those gifts to get opened! 😄

Well, wanna hear the worst of this thread popping up?   This was 3 days before my mom died.   When that happened, we dropped everything and drove to meet my dad in Iowa for her burial.

We got home at 3am on Christmas morning from that and didn't celebrate Christmas until late afternoon on the 25th.   I think the concern about gift giving was not an issue after all.

• Sad 8

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

@DawnMI'm sorry that this thread brings up some sad memories.  😞 

It's ok.   It is all part of life and I can't believe it has almost been 3 years.   That started drama after drama for us.   Death, Covid, Foster child came, Dad moved to NC, new job, bad boss......it has never been the same since.

• Sad 6

5 hours ago, DawnM said:

It's ok.   It is all part of life and I can't believe it has almost been 3 years.   That started drama after drama for us.   Death, Covid, Foster child came, Dad moved to NC, new job, bad boss......it has never been the same since.

I understand - that's the way it's been for us for the last 5 years.  And things just keep getting worse instead of better with no end in sight.  It's really hard.  Sending hugs and best wishes that you have good things ahead (I know it will be tough with your dad, though).  

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, Kassia said:

I understand - that's the way it's been for us for the last 5 years.  And things just keep getting worse instead of better with no end in sight.  It's really hard.  Sending hugs and best wishes that you have good things ahead (I know it will be tough with your dad, though).  

I am sorry.   Life just sometimes is HARD!

At least I don't have to deal with my baby's birth mother anymore.   That was beyond stressful.   She gets new phones and new FB pages and tries to contact me through them but I just keep re-blocking her.   So severely mentally ill.   The things she says are vile and horrid and just thinking about them makes me sick.

• Sad 3

19 minutes ago, Kassia said:

That's really sad for her and awful for you @DawnM  

It is hard to watch.   EVERYONE has told her to go into treatment and she thinks WE are the crazy ones.   She will probably never get help.   She is currently on the streets, living in a tent village.

• Sad 1