Menu

Wedding....my poor feet

fairfarmhand

Yesterday went well. It was a lovely service and the reception was fun too. Enjoyed visiting with people I haven’t seen in a long time. My brother made it from overseas and that was great. 

Photo booth was a big hit. 

Also I put out a bible and a sign asking people to highlight their favorite verses and write their names on the margins. So many people took time to share special passages and many left notes as to why those verses were meaningful. 

Cleanup was a beast. The family life center is basically a fancy pretty gym so it’s huge. And the floor felt like an acre when it came time to clean. I’m sore all over today.

• Like 17

42 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

Yesterday went well. It was a lovely service and the reception was fun too. Enjoyed visiting with people I haven’t seen in a long time. My brother made it from overseas and that was great. 

Photo booth was a big hit. 

Also I put out a bible and a sign asking people to highlight their favorite verses and write their names on the margins. So many people took time to share special passages and many left notes as to why those verses were meaningful. 

Cleanup was a beast. The family life center is basically a fancy pretty gym so it’s huge. And the floor felt like an acre when it came time to clean. I’m sore all over today.

This is beautiful.

• Like 3

Oh, there was one thing that went off kinda weird.

So I knew that "first look" was a thing between Bride and Groom, but had no idea that documenting every single person's "first look" was something. 

So I get to the church, head on to the nursery where my dd was waiting for stuff to happen. I Come in with my other 2 daughters. "Hey sweetie. Pretty!" Smiles, chatting blah blah blah. By nature, I'm a pretty reserved person, and she looked pretty but I wasn't all gushy or emotionally moved or anything. There were a few photos snapped by the photographer but you know.

So later, I'm in there, and there's this announcement. "Bride, are you ready for Groom's mom's first look?" Bride says ok. Groom's mom enters and there;s tears and hugs and gushy...and I'm like. 

Wait. That thing where I came in here, holding a coffee cup and chatting all casually....that was a THING?

I was supposed to be like ready for this? Why didn't someone tell me? I whispered to my 17 yo. "Are they going to do that for us?" and she whispered back. "I think they already did!" I go "oops. They didn't tell me that my walking in here was an event to be documented." 

So I'm hoping that my dd isn't disappointed. I guess it's too late. So moms of brides, that first look is supposed to be a thing and prepare yourself. 

• Sad 2

That 2nd photo cracks me up!  Beautiful!  ❤️

Any good photographer should be capturing natual reactions.  Some families are gushy and some are pragmatic.  My family was fun and joking on my wedding day, DH's were more quiet and stoic.  It's all good.  I hope if your daughter had certain expectations for the photo shoot she should have shared them.  No one should be engineering drama for the sake of capturing the day IMO.  Everyone is different and I paid big bucks to a photographer to capture people as they were.  Not as I wanted them to be.  

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Amen

There are many ways to demonstrate love, fairfarmhand. Your love is certainty documented in so many photos - the beautiful decor in the church, every snapshot you set the scene for in the photo booth, the wrinkle-free tablecloths you spent time steaming... If your dd or anyone else is disappointed there’s no photo of you in a saccharine, out of character first look reaction, well, I hope one day in the future she’ll look back at all the photos and see traces of your special touch everywhere. Because I believe they’re likely hard to miss. 

At least I wasnt shoving  a donut in my face. :)

• Like 1