Menu

mold in dishwasher!

ktgrok

There is grungy stuff on the seal of the dishwasher, again. It is constantly an issue, and I just was reading that the fungi that grow in dishwashers are kinds that are known to cause problems in humans. That that over half of dishwashers have fungi growing in them. 

My son has a mold allergy, not sure about the specific types in the dishwasher. WE had black mold previously in a bathroom that was taken care of, along with regular every day mildew/mold that is also a variety I know he is allergic too. (mild allergies, but still). 

His PANDAS seems to flare with mold exposure, which is common among kids with PANDAS. 

And his recent flare seemed to get better recently in the time period that coincides with me hand washing dishes in an attempt to not have to buy more (we would run out of the ones I like by evening, as they were all dirty so it was start hand washing after each meal or buy more dishes). 

Now I'm wondering if that darned dishwasher is part of the problem. 

Going to clean it, obviously, and go back to hand washing for now. 

• Sad 1

Our dishwasher tends to get gunky around the seal. If it matters, we have very hard water. Anyway, my best strategy for dealing with it is to wipe around the edges from time to time. It's not hard and not time-consuming. And the best part is, it reminds me naturally. "Oh look, the dishwasher is starting to look gross. Guess it's time to wipe it off."

You may also want to try not latching it all the way to make sure it is completely dry after a cycle.

• Like 1

So, I cleaned it as best I could, using an old toothbrush, a pipe cleaner type brush, etc. Ugh, so so so gross. Not sure how much was actual mold vs grunge in general, but ugh. Running a sanitize cycle now, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to convince myself to use it again. 

Oh, and did I mention I have an irrational fear of mildew/mold - bordering on full blown phobia? The only reason i was even able to clean it was that it was in the kitchen. In my warped thinking kitchen mold is less gross than bathroom mold. I would NOT have been able to deal with it in there. Ugh. Makes my bones hurt and my stomach churn to even think about such things. 

• Sad 1

I just did my dishwasher cleaning the other day, but I need to do it a lot more often.  It’s not the INSIDE-inside that’s a problem for mine, but the surfaces that are exposed during loading that aren’t exposed to the cleaning cycle.  And my kids drip a LOT when loading!  I really should be more proactive about it, but I tend to forget now that the boys unload in the morning.  I’m not seeing the dirty against the clean as often as I used to.  (They’re already dirtying it back up with breakfast dishes by the time I open it.)

Years ago I commented to a repairman who was there for a different problem about the funky stuff around my dishwasher seal and he took canned air and cleaned it.  He acted like it was pretty normal.  I just wipe with a Lysol wipe every couple of weeks now.  I am positive I have it because I put my dishes directly into the dishwasher without rinsing.......it smells bad because it’s rotten fat.

20 minutes ago, Plum said:

Maybe after unloading, wipe or spray it down and leave the door open for awhile? Is there a lot of water at the bottom of the dishwasher? There's supposed to be a little to keep the gasket moist, but too much is a sign of clogged pipes.Running super hot water down both sink drains will  help dissolve any blockages. Some washes I get extra water when there's dishes that retained water through the dry cycle and then gets dumped on the the bottom of the dishwasher when emptying. 

I think I'll have to, if I use it. It doesn't get left open now because DH hates it open. He's always closing it when I have it open. I prefer it open to easily load it - so if I'm making a meal, or whatever I'll leave it open. Now I win lol. 

We do have hard water, and a humid house/kitchen due to being in florida, etc. 

On 12/11/2019 at 7:47 PM, kbutton said:

White vinegar can help a great deal. Maybe you can spray it down each time you unload it and leave it open for a little while.

We tend to have mold mostly only if we aren't cleaning it regularly with citric acid. We have hard water.

I run a vinegar load about once a month--a wash without soap or dishes, I put a glass or glass measuring cup in bottom of dishwasher with a cup of vinegar, dump a bit of vinegar in the bottom of the dishwasher, and run the machine.  

I wonder if using a spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide around the seal each day when you unload would make a difference?  You can clean the dead mold off periodically, but if you  can keep it from growing/spreading it will make that part of the task wayyy easier.