Menu

Gingerbread house making supplies

Murphy101

For the last 3 years, we have added gingerbread house making to our traditions.  Yet, I'm drawing a blank on what to stock for it this year.  So I'd love a thread about your favorite things to have for homemade gingerbread house making.

I'll start.  

Chocolate covered sunflower seeds are the perfect thing to use as Christmas lights for the gingerbread house.

cocoa pebbles or Cookie Crisp cereal makes great garden paths

melted gummies are better than melted jolly ranchers for water or windows imo.

waffle cones for trees

those tube wafer cookie? They make great palm tree trunks if you want a more tropical gingerbread house.

make a peppermint plate to present your house on.  People like that for some reason.

Whats your favorite things to decorate your gingerbread houses with?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, happi duck said:

Love these!  They still exist?!

Eta: they're on hiatus with a new company

That explains why I couldn't find them this year!  Dd used mini wheats for her roof and the grands used those chocolate discs w nonpareils on them. Both cute but our tradition has always been Necco wafers. 

1 hour ago, Murphy101 said:

Chocolate covered sunflower seeds are the perfect thing to use as Christmas lights for the gingerbread house.

make a peppermint plate to present your house on.  People like that for some reason.

The candied sunflower seeds are a great idea! 

What's a peppermint plate? Like slightly melting peppermints to stick together and form an actual plate? 

7 minutes ago, unsinkable said:

They shipped NECCO wafers to soldiers in WWII bc they held up so well (didn't melt or break easi!y).

Flavored plastic is always a sturdy choice 😁

I actually like them, but acknowledge that they're a fairly weird and divisive candy. My kids do not get the retro charm of Necco Wafers or Stage Planks. 

12 hours ago, katilac said:

The candied sunflower seeds are a great idea! 

What's a peppermint plate? Like slightly melting peppermints to stick together and form an actual plate? 

Flavored plastic is always a sturdy choice 😁

I actually like them, but acknowledge that they're a fairly weird and divisive candy. My kids do not get the retro charm of Necco Wafers or Stage Planks. 

yep! That’s exactly what a peppermint plate is! That’s also exactly what I think Necco wafers are - flavored plastic. LOL

• Like 1

Shredded wheat and honey graham cereal for roofs - yep. 

We don’t have a traditional style. Not with all these people having input. 

We roll out the makings of 3-4 houses and I make mini bowls of decor options and dozens of bags of icing. And everyone groups up to make houses.  Baby girl will get graham crackers to decorate to hopefully distract her from the bigger house set ups.