Menu

Has Juice Wrld death affected anyone here’s kids?

Pen

Same as Quill I don’t follow that music genre... but my daughter mentioned it today and she isn’t convinced that there isn’t something fishy going on. Apparently there was a Tik Tok thing with one of his songs and seizures... and commenting on early death... but I don’t know.

Edited by Free Indeed
Fix typos
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Free Indeed said:

Same as Quill I don’t follow that music genre... but my daughter mentioned it today and she isn’t convinced that there isn’t something fishy going on. Apparently there was a tik Tok thing with one of his songs and seizures... and come ya on early death... but I don’t know.

I don’t understand some of this— “tik Tok” and seizures?  “Come ya on early death”?  Fishy in what way? Foul play? 

A lot of his lyrics are about drugs and being depressed.  

Son says death might be from drugs it’s thought , but autopsy wasn’t done as of that report.  

23 minutes ago, Pen said:

I don’t understand some of this— “tik Tok” and seizures?  “Come ya on early death”?  Fishy in what way? Foul play? 

Sorry, I’m on my phone and it didn’t relay properly. Tik Tok is a music/video app where kids make short videos to popular song clips. Apparently, one his viral ones right now is his fans lip sync a clip of “Lucid Dreams” that talks about seizing while dancing and then pretending to have a seizure. 
I don’t know anything about him or his music. 

2 hours ago, Free Indeed said:

Same as Quill I don’t follow that music genre... but my daughter mentioned it today and she isn’t convinced that there isn’t something fishy going on. Apparently there was a Tik Tok thing with one of his songs and seizures... and commenting on early death... but I don’t know.

never heard of him.   strobe lights can trigger seizures in susceptible individuals - some of the music vids use strobes. (the latest SW movie has a strobe light warning.  Circ du Soleil has a strobe light warning.).   1ds's gf is epileptic - seizures absolutely can lead to death.  (and not just from suppressed respiration, as mentioned upthread.)

2 hours ago, Pen said:

A lot of his lyrics are about drugs and being depressed.  

Son says death might be from drugs it’s thought , but autopsy wasn’t done as of that report.  

and drugs can cause seizures . . . .

My son has been upset all day about this and we’ve spent a lot of the day talking about it. (Not depressed-upset, just sad because he was ds’s favorite artist). I didn’t really know much about him so I’ve been reading. He was only 21 and was open about his drug use. He mostly used prescription drugs and drank something called lean (not sure what that is). According to a few articles I read, it sounds like he was attempting to quit using. 

Of course they don’t know what caused his seizure yet, but I won’t be surprised if they determine it was drugs. I’m trying not to speculate too much in front of my son right now, as he thinks that I worry too much about drugs (of course I do!). He is only 15 and this is the first time that a famous person that he admires has died. It is sad watching him deal with this. And I’m also sad for Juice Wrld’s family...especially his mother. He was only 21 and had so much ahead of him. 😞

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Just Kate said:

My son has been upset all day about this and we’ve spent a lot of the day talking about it. (Not depressed-upset, just sad because he was ds’s favorite artist). I didn’t really know much about him so I’ve been reading. He was only 21 and was open about his drug use. He mostly used prescription drugs and drank something called lean (not sure what that is). According to a few articles I read, it sounds like he was attempting to quit using. 

Of course they don’t know what caused his seizure yet, but I won’t be surprised if they determine it was drugs. I’m trying not to speculate too much in front of my son right now, as he thinks that I worry too much about drugs (of course I do!). He is only 15 and this is the first time that a famous person that he admires has died. It is sad watching him deal with this. And I’m also sad for Juice Wrld’s family...especially his mother. He was only 21 and had so much ahead of him. 😞

Similar here.    I was introduced to J W music a while back and also saw J W on a YouTube video hot sauce eating thing.  

Listening to the lyrics now, they seem almost prophetic of early death... 

2 minutes ago, Pen said:

Similar here.    I was introduced to J W music a while back and also saw J W on a YouTube video hot sauce eating thing.  

Listening to the lyrics now, they seem almost prophetic of early death... 

I agree! And my 12 year old dd had showed me the TikTok videos of kids spitting water to his song Lucid Dreams (she had shown me before today, but I didn’t realize until she pointed it out earlier that it was his song). It is bizarre how the videos show kids faking seizures. 

My younger ds this morning was saying he faked his death, he didn’t die, it related to one of his songs, etc. I did some more googling and told him I don’t think he’s right about that because every news outlet from CBS to NYT to The New Zealand Herald says he was pronounced dead at Chicago hospital center. 

Just adding this info in because I guess that’s another story that’s floating around out there. It does seem extremely strange that he would die of a seizure if “fake seizures” were part of the culture of his songs and early death was predicted. 

I googled and found this https://hollywoodlife.com/2017/09/04/what-is-sizzurp-lil-wayne-seizures-lean-purple-drank-drug/

But I had heard before..... Lil Wayne has had a lot of seizures and some people think it is from lean, he might also have epilepsy.  I don’t know.  But apparently people do think lean causes seizures.

My husband got the Macklemore cd when Thrift Shop was popular, and he has an entire song about lean — that is the main way I have heard of it.  The Macklemore song is a sad song about drug addiction.  

Edited by Lecka

I never heard of him until  he died but I don't follow that music genre either. I'm not sure even ds knows who he was. He might have heard of him but would likely be unfamiliar with his music. He mainly listens to classic rock, 80s music, and alternative rock. 

He was a year younger than ds 22 and my first thought was for his mother. She might have been afraid it would happen given his drug use history but it still has to be devastating. I looked him up and he just turned 21 a few days ago. So sad.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I never heard of him until  he died but I don't follow that music genre either. I'm not sure even ds knows who he was. He might have heard of him but would likely be unfamiliar with his music. He mainly listens to classic rock, 80s music, and alternative rock. 

He was a year younger than ds 22 and my first thought was for his mother. She might have been afraid it would happen given his drug use history but it still has to be devastating. I looked him up and he just turned 21 a few days ago. So sad.

That was exactly the thought I had, as my dd is 22. Seeing his birth year as “1998” was like, woah...so recent. 

• Like 2

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7772929/Juice-Wrld-suffered-fatal-seizure-cops-searched-private-jet-70-pounds-marijuana.html

From the article:

Late rapper Juice Wrld reportedly died after he swallowed a number of Percocet painkillers to hide them from police as they searched his luggage for drugs and guns in a hangar inside Chicago’s Midway Airport on Sunday.

A search of luggage aboard the jet yielded 41 ‘vacuum-sealed’ bags - or 70 pounds - of marijuana and six bottles of prescription codeine cough syrup

Investigators also confirmed that two 9mm pistols, a .40-caliber pistol, a high-capacity ammunition magazine and metal-piercing bullets were also found 

• Sad 3

I worked for a bit as an adolescent substance abuse therapist years ago. There was a definite hierarchy among the users and their drug of choice, with the cocaine users at the top, and the cough syrup drinkers at the bottom. The only ones the cough syrup users were able to look down on were the gasoline huffers. It’s weird to know that now it’s making its way into rap songs by respected artists. Sad.

9 hours ago, livetoread said:

I worked for a bit as an adolescent substance abuse therapist years ago. There was a definite hierarchy among the users and their drug of choice, with the cocaine users at the top, and the cough syrup drinkers at the bottom. The only ones the cough syrup users were able to look down on were the gasoline huffers. It’s weird to know that now it’s making its way into rap songs by respected artists. Sad.

For a while lean became the cool way to get high for celebs like Justin Bieber.  I suspect they thought it was safer than Cocaine because it was ‘just cough syrup’.  When Justin was hooked it was pretty popular among some well known musicians- Lil Wayne and Mac Miller for sure.    It was all in how they portrayed it, calling it sizzurp or purple drink.  It’s scary to have teens who look up to these musicians. When youngest Dd was a teen Bieber was super popular and some parties she went to served Fanta grape or Mountain Dew in cups like Bieber and other rappers used for lean.  It was like a Shirley Temple lean, complete with the jolly ranchers in it.  (At the time, the rappers were putting the jolly ranchers in to mask the cough syrup taste)

• Sad 3

16 hours ago, Selkie said:

A search of luggage aboard the jet yielded 41 ‘vacuum-sealed’ bags - or 70 pounds - of marijuana and six bottles of prescription codeine cough syrup

The feds should go after his manager and his entourage because this sounds like a drug running operation - I did not know who he was, I thought that Juice Wrld was a place (like starbucks) and only today saw this news on my newsfeed. Private jet travel has long been used as a means for drug transport and I am sure that the pilot who called the cops was on the lookout for such things.