Menu

piano players, can you help please?

chocolate-chip chooky

My daughter, 13, has a concert performance exam in piano coming up. For this, she needs to present herself as a concert performer ie dress, shoes, hair, poise etc

I think we'll be fine with the dress, hair and poise.

It's the shoes I'm a bit concerned about. She needs to look semi-formal to formalish, but could she pedal on the piano in small heels? 

We're doubting many local shoe shops will have a piano on hand to test it out 🙄

The obvious suggestion here is for her to pop on a pair of my shoes with heels and get playing, but I have no heeled shoes. 

Whatever we end up with, she'll wear them each time she practises over the next couple of weeks, but it would certainly be nice if she could pedal comfortably and confidently from the get-go.

Any thoughts?

I wear wedge semi-formal shoes for playing piano accompaniment at recitals. I don’t do heels as I have the tendency to get my heels caught in my piano pedals (and worse on steps up the stage). My niece wear ballet flats (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Classified-Formal-Casual-Ballet-Thesis/dp/B07C1G7MQL) but I need a bit of heel for comfort so flats are out for me.

e.g.

https://www.thewalkingcompany.com/p/dansko_lanie/3050-6907?pid=29815

https://www.thewalkingcompany.com/p/trotters_lauren/3010-1110?pid=15753

https://m.shop.nordstrom.com/s/gabor-sachetto-wedge-pump-women/5066928/

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

I wear wedge semi-formal shoes for playing piano accompaniment at recitals. I don’t do heels as I have the tendency to get my heels caught in my piano pedals (and worse on steps up the stage). My niece wear ballet flats (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Classified-Formal-Casual-Ballet-Thesis/dp/B07C1G7MQL) but I need a bit of heel for comfort so flats are out for me.

e.g.

https://www.thewalkingcompany.com/p/dansko_lanie/3050-6907?pid=29815

https://www.thewalkingcompany.com/p/trotters_lauren/3010-1110?pid=15753

https://m.shop.nordstrom.com/s/gabor-sachetto-wedge-pump-women/5066928/

Getting the heels caught in the pedals! Yes, this is one of our concerns. And really, being able to walk to the piano with confidence is VERY important in this context.

But I'm also concerned that flats or wedges won't meet the brief of 'dress formally'.

I think that her being 13 probably gives us a bit more wiggle-room in interpretation of 'dress formally' though.

Thanks heaps for your help, Arcadia. I always appreciate your input 🌼

Fwiw, my girls have worn both flats and low heeled sandals/boots/dress-shoes for piano recitals.  I never worried about black flats not being dressy enough, and none of the various heeled shoes (1-1.5in heels) they wore ever gave them any pedalling problems.  All that their teachers have ever said is to make sure to practice with whatever shoe you mean to wear, and in the half-dozen ones they've tried pedalling in, there's been no duds.

• Like 4

I use flats or more block heels, and I ask my students to bring the shoes they are going to wear (and appropriate hose) to the last lesson before the recital and try it with the piano there, especially since many of my students have keyboards where the pedal is a lot flatter and less likely to get stuck than on a grand piano. 

My experience is that flexibility matters more than heel height. Some dress shoes are just so rigid that it feels like I can't control the pedal-I can't feel it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dmmetler said:

My experience is that flexibility matters more than heel height. Some dress shoes are just so rigid that it feels like I can't control the pedal-I can't feel it. 

I completely agree!  Also, make sure that whatever the heel type, it's not slippery and will stay put.  If your piano in your home is on carpet, you might want to have her try "air pedaling" on a wooden floor just to make sure.

Classy dress flats should be formal enough.  People will be watching the performer's hands and face, not the feet.  

Good luck to your daughter in her performance!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Will you have an opportunity to practice on a piano that is similar to the one your dd will be playing on for the performance?  Pedal height and placement, and how this can be managed with new shoes, could be a potential unknown and risky factor. It's nice when you get to bring your own instrument, foot stand and stool for smaller instruments (i.e., violin, cello, classical guitar).

• Like 1

23 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

I'm thinking maybe something like this:  

Or a low square heel like this: 

I don't think either of those are a good choice for someone not used to wearing that type of shoe. It's too easy for the foot to slip off the side. 

Black flats will be fine. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, wintermom said:

Will you have an opportunity to practice on a piano that is similar to the one your dd will be playing on for the performance?  Pedal height and placement, and how this can be managed with new shoes, could be a potential unknown and risky factor. It's nice when you get to bring your own instrument, foot stand and stool for smaller instruments (i.e., violin, cello, classical guitar).

We're really lucky that the performance exam will be held at the studio that she learns at. Same room, same piano 👍

• Like 1

I hope heels aren't becoming the only dressy shoe because the higher ones (heels) are just so bad for our posture & backs & such. I think we should be able to decide what height heel (or a flat) we want to wear, not be told that 2" or 3" or whatever height is the only acceptable dressy option. 

And you aren't wrong to wonder, @chocolate-chip chooky. I just remembered That Cannes Film Festival doesn't allow women into it (parts of it? certain screenings?) if they are in flats. Grr! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RootAnn said:

I hope heels aren't becoming the only dressy shoe because the higher ones (heels) are just so bad for our posture & backs & such. I think we should be able to decide what height heel (or a flat) we want to wear, not be told that 2" or 3" or whatever height is the only acceptable dressy option. 

And you aren't wrong to wonder, @chocolate-chip chooky. I just remembered That Cannes Film Festival doesn't allow women into it (parts of it? certain screenings?) if they are in flats. Grr! 

I agree. I don't want my 13 year old to think that heels will always be necessary to be dressy.

But at the same time, we really want to meet the brief for this exam.

Here's a snippet from the exam info: Students who do not dress formally must accept their low assessment in this area.

1 hour ago, Pen said:

Unisex opera flats? (Men’s if she has wide feet?) 

I can’t Link currently, but they typically look like a low cut minimum heel type black shoe with a satin bow, that can be worn with white tie formal dress. 

My goodness, I've never even heard of opera flats!

What's the difference between ballet flats and opera flats or even just normal flats? 

And where are posh piano exam flats when you need some? 😁

3 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Is there a contact person where you can just call to confirm what's acceptable? Might make you feel better. 

Good idea - thank you! The examiner has to fly to our city for this, so I already know there's no-one local to ask, but I'll have a poke around and see what I can find out. I'm sure I'm overthinking it, as is my way.

We have talked with her piano teacher about it, and he just said to 'wear the sort of thing you'd wear to a day wedding'. And of course, this meant nothing to me 🙄

He also said to my daughter, 'Do you even own a dress?' 😁

I think either low flexible pumps or flat that match her dress would be absolutely fine.  IS she competing against adults/college students?  If not I would not think too hard about this.  I'd get her a pair of shoes that will work for general dress up and check the return policy. Have her try them on your piano at home and see how they work.  I'd have her use them to practice and for lesson as she prepares if they seem fine.  

My kid did tons of competitions/concerts/honors recitals, etc when he was younger.  He was playing at a pretty advanced level by age 10.  Kids do really show up inappropriately dressed at times.  I suspect they are just trying to set a tone.  I also suspect they don't expect kids to dress like you're performing at the Met or Carnegie Hall.  Sunday best or wedding appropriate is fine.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

My goodness, I've never even heard of opera flats!

What's the difference between ballet flats and opera flats or even just normal flats? 

And where are posh piano exam flats when you need some? 😁

Real Ballet ones have soft soles, are  often or usually slick fabric to ballet dance in easily.   Opera flats traditionally have firm leather sole, (and likely also leather upper)  but maybe manmade similar seeming to leather nowadays.  There are also Jazz flat shoes...  a jazz flat might actually be nice.  They are more structured than a fabric ballet shoe and usually go higher up foot to stay on better, but less structured , and probably more comfortable and less expensive, than an opera flat

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1