Menu

Movies

DawnM

We are getting our rec/meda room together today and I would love to sit and watch a movie tonight.

I am open to any movie genre other than horror.  No demons or paranormal.    I do like thrillers though. 

Some of your favorites?

Comedies

Romance

Thriller

Action

Whatever I don't see tonight, I will keep in mind for the future.

THANKS!

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Persuasion with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds

Yes, yes, yes! 

Bride and Prejudice (the Indian version) would be crazy fun on a big screen with all the dance scenes. I'm till trying to talk my dh into a BIG TV, like 70" with a fireplace corner. Instead the man brings home a VACUUM CLEANER. 

Singing in the Rain

Casablanca

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

to catch a thief

The Philadelphia Story. 

Bringing up Baby

Operation Pettitcoat

(heh,  I seem to have a Cary Grant theme. . . . )

or for Christmas - we're no angels with Humphrey Bogart

Casablanca

For action:

RED, and/or RED II

• Like 1

Baby Driver is great, great, great. I absolutely did not expect to like it but I loved it. It seems to hit the mark with a really wide range of people. It's an action film with some dark humor. 

4 hours ago, sheryl said:

Pride and Prejudice (BBC version ONLY - it's the most accurate and thorough) 

I'm one of the few Austen fans who doesn't care for this, so much so that I didn't even finish watching it. It's accurate and thorough bc they're practically reading the book 😄 Also it's six hours long if the OP isn't aware. 

Edited by katilac

35 minutes ago, katilac said:

Baby Driver is great, great, great. I absolutely did not expect to like it but I loved it. It seems to hit the mark with a really wide range of people. It's an action film with some dark humor. 

I'm one of the few Austen fans who doesn't care for this, so much so that I didn't even finish watching it. It's accurate and thorough bc they're practically reading the book 😄 Also it's six hours long if the OP isn't aware. 

BBC actually did two versions of P&P.  while the 1995 (colin firth, Jennifer Ehle)  6 hour version is quite rich (they were spendy), in some ways I prefer the 1980 (David Rintoul, and Elizabeth Garvie) - is 4 1/2 hours.  My friend and I will toss back and forth things we like/don't-like about each version.  I don't think there is a perfect version.  I do chuckle at the line from the Laurence Olivier/Greer Garson version about having to be a mummy to be really dignified.

• Like 1

You've Got Mail
True Grit (2010)
Men in Black
Sherlock Holmes (Robert Downey, Jr. series)
We Bought a Zoo
Miss Congeniality
Legally Blonde
Gravity
Kate and Leopold
The Holiday
American President
Dave
About Time
Speed
Oceans 11 and sequels
Apollo 13
Hidden Figures
The Martian
Marshall
Truman Show
League of Their Own
Seabiscuit
Life of Pi
Mama Mia
Anything with Meryl Streep or Tom Hanks
Julie and Julia
City Slickers
Saving Mr. Banks
Lord of the Rings
Anything Marvel  (If you haven't seen any, I'd start with Iron Man or Captain America or Thor)

I have a list on my phone of things that I would watch with my teens, or things that I've seen that my husband has not, that I think he'd like. These are some of the titles on that list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

Will this be you and your spouse only? If there will be children present, how old are they?

Regards,

Kareni

Not sure yet!

Husband and I don't seem to like the same movies, but we will try to find something.  We agree on some comedies and some action movies.  

7 hours ago, sheryl said:

Pride and Prejudice (BBC version ONLY - it's the most accurate and thorough)
Gone With The Wind
Greatest Showman

My mind is a blank.  DH and like those too genres too and, like you, not interested in horror, etc.  I'll try to think of more.

I have seen all of those, and they are good, just more in the mood for a more recent movie right now.