Menu

Fires in Australia

Innisfree

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From SBS AU https://www.sbs.com.au/news/nsw-bushfires-two-dead-at-least-100-homes-destroyed-amid-warnings-of-worse-to-come

“NSW bushfires: Two dead, at least 100 homes destroyed amid warnings of worse to come

Updated 15 mins ago

Seven people are missing and at least 100 homes have been destroyed in fires which have hit drought-ravaged areas.

One person was found in a burnt-out car in at the Kangawalla fire, near Glen Innes and police are working to formally identify the victim.

A woman who had been discovered by firefighters in the same blaze but in an unrelated incident was treated for burns before being transferred to hospital but has since died, NSW Rural Fire Service Commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons said.

More than 70 fires were burning across the state on Saturday morning, 39 uncontained, with five at emergency warning level.”

• Sad 2

news reports are now at least  150 houses lost https://www.9news.com.au/national/nsw-fires-out-of-control-emergency-level-fires-rage-across-nsw-and-queensland/78a6ade9-7c93-4a45-b488-28a9de0680ce

so so awful. and hardly anyone  in those fire areas  have any water to do any protecting of property due to the extended drought. 😞  

We are not looking forward to the summer this year at all.  We are further south, our fire season usually starts in December through to March, 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

15 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

We are not looking forward to the summer this year at all.  We are further south, our fire season usually starts in December through to March, 

Your fire season usually start when the California’s Fire season ends 😞

Today is the one year anniversary of the Camp Fire in California 

“Over 18 days last fall, the Camp Fire burned 153,336 acres across Butte County. It destroyed 18,804 structures, including nearly 14,000 homes and more than 500 commercial buildings, and took the lives of 85 citizens.” https://yubanet.com/regional/camp-fire-anniversary/

• Sad 2

On 11/9/2019 at 2:06 AM, Innisfree said:

This looks awful; I hope all our boardies are safe. Anyone able to check in?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-50341207

Thank you for thinking of us.

I'm a bit further up the east coast than the worst fires, but we currently have fires to the north, south and west of us. East is the Pacific Ocean. We're in no danger, but the air is a thick dusty smokey haze. 

It's just the perfect recipe for bushfires here at the moment: hot, dry and windy.

• Sad 5

17 minutes ago, StellaM said:

I think we are all going to have to start stocking masks for fire seasons.

Even when not affected by fire, we can easily be affected by smoke for days at a time. 

One day last week, Sydney had the 5th worst air quality in the world due to bushfire smoke. I'm hyper-aware of it because I have pre-existing respiratory illnesses, but it's bad for everyone's health.

Hope the air clears for you soon, and that your area stays fire free.

I've considered masks too, because one of my daughters has a respiratory illness.

Today is looking a bit clearer up here. I hope it's improving in your area today too. The news reports are shocking.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Thank you for thinking of us.

I'm a bit further up the east coast than the worst fires, but we currently have fires to the north, south and west of us. East is the Pacific Ocean. We're in no danger, but the air is a thick dusty smokey haze. 

It's just the perfect recipe for bushfires here at the moment: hot, dry and windy.

thinking of you 

17 hours ago, StellaM said:

I think we are all going to have to start stocking masks for fire seasons.

Even when not affected by fire, we can easily be affected by smoke for days at a time. 

One day last week, Sydney had the 5th worst air quality in the world due to bushfire smoke. I'm hyper-aware of it because I have pre-existing respiratory illnesses, but it's bad for everyone's health.

Hope the air clears for you soon, and that your area stays fire free.

Yes, this.  Keep yourself safe and your family.   We usually have much less fire problem here since our average rainfall is around 140 cm.  That means that things grow very fast and there is a lot of vegetation..  But then we get drought years or seasons and we also get high winds at times and then careless or criminal people.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, StellaM said:

Aussies with fire experience - my suburb has been listed as catastrophic tomorrow. What should I know ? Have never been at fire risk before. 

do you have any parkland trees and shrubs near your house?

did you get the fire preparedness booklet a couple of months ago ? or do they only send it to rural areas??   

Here it is https://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/plan-prepare/fire-ready-kit this booklet will tell you exactly what to do 

Have a evacuation plan. a location that you could go to, make sure everyone in your family knows where this is.

Have a bag with most important documents somewhere ready to grab

Have water bottles filled in case water is cut ( probably doesn't apply to you )

Do whatever you do in case power goes out. 

Have hoses connected to all outside taps and buckets in handy  ready to grab locations.

Have a radio with batteries. Have radio turned on all day. There will be a siren noise with emergency alerts on the radio if there is a fire near you that you need to be aware of. Messages will also come on your phone. download the emergency app.- though it gets overloaded and crashes when every one checks it all day long on a bad fire day.

• Like 1

Stella, be prepared to leave. So that if you decide to, that it will take no more than 5 minutes to be driving away.  With a full tank of petrol.
If you have an 'Evaporative Air-Co', leave it turned off.  As they suck in air from the outside, and will suck in Embers. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, geodob said:

Stella, be prepared to leave. So that if you decide to, that it will take no more than 5 minutes to be driving away.  With a full tank of petrol.
If you have an 'Evaporative Air-Co', leave it turned off.  As they suck in air from the outside, and will suck in Embers. 

I don't believe Stella has a car.

According to the booklet if you live in the suburbs 2 streets away is considered a safe distance form a fire, so can be easily walked. 

A fire in a suburb is a completely different kettle of fish to a fire in the bush, where water may be limited, ways of retreating may not be possible and you can get trapped very quickly

• Like 1

from the booklet

WHAT TO DO
  • If you live in an urban area near grasslands, walk at least two streets back if a fire starts. If you live two or three streets away from grassland and a grassfire starts, stay where you are. Grassfires are unlikely to spread into built up areas.

It is safest to do this by walking to keep roads clear for emergency services and help reduce road accidents.
  • Grassfire is unlikely to spread into built up areas.

Stay indoors and keep all windows and doors closed, place towels or blankets around the bottom of doors and window sills and don't use your air conditioner.
Edited by Melissa in Australia
  • Like 1

That would be fine for a small grass fire. But with the current fires, they would be travelling as fast the wind.  Which tomorrow will be Northerly and 25/40 km/h.
So that a fire 2 streets away,  is nearly too late. Perhaps enough time to get to the car?

Edited by geodob

It all depends on your location. I do not know Stella' s location and can only recommend the advice put out by the experts

I am not in NSW, I live in Victoria. if we had a code red - which is the same as catastrophic I would have to leave the evening before. We are in a location that has been classified as undefendable ,   beside  both thick coastal scrub and dense bush with only one road out through dense bush. Of course we also have to prepare our property in  for the instance where a local fire starts and we become trapped. We have made plans for all eventualities and have pumps set up all the time etc... but due to the drought  our dam is empty. ( and we are only on the edge of the drought  no where near as bad as NSW)

• Like 2

From https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/nsw-rural-fire-service-commissioner-warns-of-long-way-to-go-as-crews-battle-bushfires-in-new-south-wales-and-queensland/live-coverage/becc66b8cebfc7a4ea6769cf5e338d3c

“New South Wales still has "a long way to go" before the bushfire threat is over, with one particularly dangerous fire still covering 150,000 hectares on its own, and another wave of bad weather on the horizon.

Today the focus also shifts to Queensland, where increasingly windy conditions and temperatures in the mid to high thirties will make firefighters’ job harder.

• 83 fires are burning in NSW, 50 of which are not contained;
  • One blaze west of Coffs Harbour covers 150,000 hectares, with a perimeter of more than 1000km;
  • At least a 50 homes were damaged or destroyed yesterday;
  • The wind change that caused havoc in NSW yesterday is now moving into QLD;
  • More than 60 fires are burning across the state.

As late as 10pm on Tuesday, there were still 11 fires burning at emergency level. That figure dropped dramatically overnight, and by 7:30am there were none.”

• Sad 1

From BBC: Sydney blanketed by smoke from Australia fires https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-50468450

“Strong winds brought smoke overnight from an inland blaze north of the city, pushing Sydney's air quality to beyond "hazardous" levels, officials said.

On social media, locals described waking up to hazy skies and the stench of smoke in their homes.

About five million people live in the state capital of New South Wales, which has been affected for weeks by fires.

Six people have died in bushfires in the state's north since October.

Sydney residents were warned about severe fire danger on Tuesday, as temperatures looked to soar to 37C (98.6F) in the city's west.

Parts of the city recorded air quality levels at eight times higher than the national benchmark.

Health officials advised people to stay indoors and avoid strenuous activity. New South Wales Ambulance service said those with respiratory issues should "take extra care".

Authorities said the source of the smoke on Tuesday came from a blaze in Wollemi National Park, 150km (93 miles) north-west of the city, which had grown to 150,000 hectares in size.

What's happening with the fires now?

Close to 50 bushfires continue to burn in populated coastal and inland regions to the city's north. Many of those areas have experienced thick smoke and poor air quality for weeks.

Officials have warned that blazes could escalate this week when heatwave conditions reach the state and neighbouring Queensland, where scores of fires are burning.

Meanwhile, a "catastrophic" fire danger warning has been issued for parts of South Australia. The state capital, Adelaide, is forecast to reach 42C on Wednesday.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StellaM said:

The smoke haze this morning was awful. It tends to settle overnight, and doesn't lift again till the breeze picks up in the afternoon. I'm supposed to stay indoors when the air quality is so poor, but who can put their life on hold for weeks at a time? It's not fire, but it's damaging to health in the short and long term.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/13/climate/climate-change-child-health.html?fbclid=IwAR1Ets99l2OXG5xbyey0z9ZxBrx9AlbbBjW3rM3QFEr5zTJJ2ER9tz0oJOw

Was thinking about you when I saw the news this morning.

hope it lifts a bit soon.

I have to admit I’m feeling somewhat anxious about tomorrow.  Trying my best to ignore the media hype and make sure we have what we need in place.

• Like 2

I feel for all you people in the blanket of smoke. I know what that is like. we have experienced it often because of our geological location. It really makes doing any physical activity very difficult. and pollutes water tanks. BBQ water is awful 😞 

I am feeling anxious about the next 2 days as well. We don't have any fires anywhere near us at all, but Thursday is going to be 41oC here. I think that will be a record for November in my area. Dh left for overseas for a few weeks today.

DS 24 will be sent to NSW next week for a week of firefighting 

• Like 4

From abc7news: Videos of koala rescues emerge following deadly Australian bushfires https://abc7news.com/pets-animals/videos-of-koala-rescues-emerge-following-deadly-australian-fires/5696720/

“Kristen and her husband Colin found the injured animal sitting in a pile of ash in New South Wales, Australia, an area recently devastated by bushfires that killed at least four people and hundreds of koalas.

As the catastrophic fires have burned more than two million acres, more videos of koalas being rescued and treated are immerging.

Yet conservationists fear that these koalas are the lucky ones. Estimating the number of deaths is difficult at the moment, as about 60 fires were burning in the area on Thursday morning, with 27 uncontained while being battled by more than 1,000 firefighters, the Rural Fire Service said.

A weeklong state of emergency was declared for New South Wales, where about two-thirds was koala habitat, Port Macquarie Koala Hospital President Sue Ashton told the Associated Press.

"If we look at a 50% survival rate, that's around about 350 koalas and that's absolutely devastating," Ashton said of the death toll.

"We're hoping it's not as bad as that, but because of the intensity of the fire and the way koalas behave during fire, we're not holding out too much hope," she added.

Koalas climb high into trees during wildfires and survive if the fire front passes quickly below them. Yet even when the fire doesn't reach treetops, the animals may become overheated and fall to the ground.”

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

😞

Hope there are no fires in your neck of the woods 

the heat won't be here until tomorrow 

Thankfully nothing at all close by.  Some in other areas of the state.  One of the worst days I’ve seen so very thankful nothing started.  Still ongoing till around 3am this morning but hopefully through the worst.  Stay safe tomorrow. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Glad you have power again Rosie! We are all enjoying the cool change and the stillness, it was blowing a gale all day.

We had 2 small fires within 5ks today, one at either end of a connecting road. No danger though, the local fireys were on the ball.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, LMD said:

Glad you have power again Rosie! We are all enjoying the cool change and the stillness, it was blowing a gale all day.

We had 2 small fires within 5ks today, one at either end of a connecting road. No danger though, the local fireys were on the ball.

5km is too close

glad it was no danger

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Melissa in Australia said:

The cool change is nearly here. We are having dry lightning storms in the nearby hills

It's a mixed blessing, isn't it?

Here it has tried to rain a few times and managed anywhere from three drops to half a teaspoon. Thankfully no storms.

So far they have found 36 fires started by the lightning last night in our area. None of them are close to me. the firefighters are on to them so quickly. They have bulldozers  and firefighters out with hoes making mineral breaks around them and aerial support. good thing today is so much cooler with no wind. really helps to get the fires contained quickly before they get big.

definition - mineral break = bare earth 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1