Menu

Disney World - just want to pop in...just adults & prob Magic Kingdom

Familia

We are traveling to Orlando for a conference in early November.  It will only be DH & I, and we have an afternoon/evening of free time.

I have searched Disney boards, TA, and WTM threads for days and my mind is a whirlwind.  Is it possible to have a more simple, short Disney World visit?  

DH went there for an evening work event once, stuck with a gentleman who knew the park well, and rode only one ride that he remembers: a ski-lift type ride with wonderful scenes all around.  Not very descriptive, sorry.  But that type of ride would be the extent of my desire for a ride.

I would like to just be immersed in the atmosphere, maybe have a nice meal or snack - are there cafes around?   I have been to other theme parks and do just enjoy the festive atmosphere.   I don't need to be entertained, I just like to be in an entertaining environment.  

Although, a show would be nice.  Must we plan a show, or can we just wing that?  The planning that everyone says must be done seems overboard for what I am envisioning, but maybe that just isn't how Disney works.

Also, I do not think I want to go to Epcot, although I previously thought that I would, because I really don't want to be educated LOL, just 'wowed' and soak up the place.  

Any thoughts?

(ETA - does that ride, i.e. ski lift with scenes, describe a lot of rides?  I only want one ride...a scenic, gentle one)

Edited by Familia
  • Like 1

It is possible. 
Make a list of any ride you really want to go on and hit them first, or last.  During parades and toward the end of the evening are some of the better times to go on rides if you're not there first thing in the morning.  The only ones I would steer clear of are Dumbo (always long wait, and you can do the same ride in Adventureland with Aladdin's Magic Carpets), Casey's Train, and the diorama boat ride right next to it.  All have long waits with little return. 

We like food options better at Epcot or Animal Kingdom, but Starlight Ray's in the MK has passable food, and Pinocchio's Village Haus has a window that overlooks the Small World boat ride.  Both are quick service meals (no reservations)
Many of the shows you can wing, especially depending on when you go.  You won't get "priority" seating but we didn't find that to be all that great, anyway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arctic_bunny said:

DH and I are looking forward to a trip to Epcot Food & Wine without the kids. Although I very much love MK, as well.... But I have been to Epcot with the kids... 8? times, and they haven’t learned a thing from it, and neither have I!

...tell me about Food & Wine.  We will be there during those dates.  Is it a street festival of sorts?

5 minutes ago, Familia said:

...tell me about Food & Wine.  We will be there during those dates.  Is it a street festival of sorts?

Oh my! So instead of just the regular amazing restaurants, they set up extra “countries” around the “world” with snack and drinks. So, for example, we had Free Dining, and we could use any of our “snacks” for a small food item. But just to spend the day walking around, looking at the gardens and the buildings, etc. Having a patisserie here, a margarita there, a scotch egg here, an Asian tasty something there.... book a evening meal at Japan’s Teppanyaki, then step out onto the balcony to watch the fireworks! Perfection!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Walt Disney World (WDW) has the two (2) most popular parks in the USA: Magic Kingdom is #1 in attendance and Animal Kingdom is #2 in attendance.  If you only have an afternoon and evening, I suggest you select one of those parks and not buy the Park Hopper tickets. If you had more time, I would suggest the extra money for the Park Hopper tickets.

We had a bad experience in Epcot, but that was the last week of April 2016 and hopefully they have cleaned the park. We had been there in 2000 and enjoyed Epcot, but in 2016, although we got there early in the morning and intended to stay in Epcot all day, based on memories of 2000, we left Epcot after 2 or 3 hours and went to one or more  of the other WDW parks on our Park Hopper tickets. That day, we were truly thankful for the Park Hopper option.

We went into Animal Kingdom several times.

We were also in Hollywood Studios.

We spent one day in Universal Orlando and in retrospect we wish we had spent 2 days there.

Enjoy the hours you have in WDW and your trip!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lanny said:

We had a bad experience in Epcot, but that was the last week of April 2016 and hopefully they have cleaned the park...

Was it just dirty or where the exhibits not in good shape?

On the main Disney site, which I hadn't explored, mostly reading forums & looking at conference ticket options, I see so many show choices in each park - the Epcot food & wine looks great, but since this will probably be my only time to go, I keep leaning toward Magic Kingdom for a classic experience.  

6 minutes ago, Familia said:

Was it just dirty or where the exhibits not in good shape?

On the main Disney site, which I hadn't explored, mostly reading forums & looking at conference ticket options, I see so many show choices in each park - the Epcot food & wine looks great, but since this will probably be my only time to go, I keep leaning toward Magic Kingdom for a classic experience.  

You can’t go wrong with Magic Kingdom. It is, indeed, magical!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Familia said:

rode only one ride that he remembers: a ski-lift type ride with wonderful scenes all around.

Hate to mention it, but that's probably Soarin' at Epcot, not in Magic Kingdom. 

I would like to just be immersed in the atmosphere, maybe have a nice meal or snack - are there cafes around? 

Haha, you just described Epcot, the place you said you don't want to go! LOL Seriously, go back and look at Epcot. This will be November? Ooo, they'll have the Food & Wine fest going!!! Such a great time. 

Disney sells discounted evening tickets for people coming in like you are. Buy it ahead of time and set up your fast passes. You can also go ahead and make dining reservations. 

So here's a tip. If you pay the $10 at Touring Plans to sign up for their site, you can download their app and plan out the evening. A lot of the entertainment that seems random at Disney is totally scheduled. So all the singers, juggling acts, Vikings walking around, people playing trash cans, barbershop choirs, everything is scheduled. So one time when we were doing Epcot I made us a schedule so we hit every street performer!! Way fun. My ds isn't one to go in all the buildings and learn stuff either, haha. But he enjoys the street performers, the musicians, the food. And it will all be there for you to see in the app.

As far as Magic Kingdom, do you have an extra evening to do a party? That's how *I* would probably do it in November. They'll be having the Christmas parties then, which are so, so, so fun. They have all kinds of dessert stations. And for Epcot, see, but they might be doing the Candlelight Processional. So one day do the Christmas Party and the next evening do Epcot and the Candlelight Processional. Those would be the BIG THINGS to hit at that time of year, the don't misses.

Also, Epcot may have all their Santas out by then. I'll bet they will! They're really beautiful and fun. You can go sit on a French Santa's lap, hehe.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you get the Touring Plans book from the library, they group rides for each park, marking them by who they're safe for. Soarin' is safe for someone like my dad, who is pretty delicate. The other one he really likes in Epcot is the Frozen Ever After ride. It's gentle, very charming, and honestly shouldn't be missed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another tip of the day. You have options for where to do dinner for the Candlelight Processional. We really like Biergarten. The food is super mild and it's just a good time, highly recommend. The musicians are really fun. I usually time it so they start about 20 minutes after our reservation. That way we get in, get our food, and the show starts. Fun!

I'm looking at the page with the options for the dining package for the Candlelight Processional. *I* like the Hacienda de San Angel, but I'm not sure others in my party liked it as much. But I really do. It's on the more spicy side, not bland but actually with flavor. The atmosphere is fun. And the Coral Reef Restaurant has exceptional food. We had an heirloom tomato salad there I STILL think about! Yum. Not quite as exciting on the atmosphere as Biergarten or the Hacienda, but good food.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

So I've been to F&W a couple times now and really enjoy it. I got sort of obsessive the last time, planning out everything I wanted to eat ahead of time, haha. In the evenings people come in from town (locals with passholder tickets) and they're going to walk, enjoy the atmosphere, drink. It's heavy on the WINE, not just the food, and people are there just as much to drink as eat. 

So me, and this is just me, I would do a dinner reservation with the Candlelight Processional dining package. Then pick out like 3-4 things you want to try from the booths. 

Ultimate Guide to 2019 Epcot Food & Wine Festival  Here's the guy I follow for reviews. Not saying he's the ultimate, but he strives to be thorough. :biggrin:  I'm with him that some of the things are exceptional and unique and fun and some are like I need to be drunk to think that was smart to pay $5 for that. And since I don't drink remember, paying $5-7 for some little tray of food doesn't always seem smart.

*I* really really really adore their indian dishes at F&W. Like slather it on, I need to be there right now YUM. They would be unmissable, kwim? Like have them on the way in, while you stroll. They had an ethiopian lentils dish I liked a lot too. That recipe is available online 2017 Disney Food & Wine Cookbook Shares Recipes Coast ...https://disneyparks.disney.go.com › blog › 2017/09 › 2017-disney-food-w...  Some of the stuff I *didn't* like. The beer cheese whatever soup was way too salty, so apparently I'm not meant to be Canadian. 

So I would suggest picking out 3-4 things you want to try, sharing them, enjoying them while you walk, but getting your guaranteed seating for the processional by doing the dining package. 

Another fun thing to do during F&W! They usually have some kind of search. You go to the counter and buy a $5 map with stickers and hunt for the characters as you go through the park. This is only Epcot. At the end you show your completed map and get something cute. It's just another fun thing. Yes, they're doing it, but don't google as the pictures of the hiding spots pop up! It's Remy's Ratatouille Hide & Squeak for 2019. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Haha, you just described Epcot, the place you said you don't want to go! LOL Seriously, go back and look at Epcot....

made us a schedule so we hit every street performer!! Way fun. My ds isn't one to go in all the buildings and learn stuff either, haha. But he enjoys the street performers, the musicians, the food. And it will all be there for you to see in the app.

The street performers (...barbershop? Would love LOVE that!) do sound great.  It isn't that I was really against Epcot.  It seemed that the overall excitement from people what the 'wow' of the things they learned, the natural/futuristic displays...I just want a flavor of that Disney Magic everyone talks about.  Just a few hours of it=)  

We will be attending a lot of adult functions where we will be wined and dined nearby, so I don't feel the need to do more of that, I want my inner child attended to for a few hours.

We're staying right in Disney Springs (formally Disney Downtown); what does that offer?  Shopping only?  Nightlife?  Entertainment?  We can be there quite a bit during downtime, although, if we have a good view, we are just as apt to enjoy alone time while watching the world go by.

We just got back from Disney World. 

Youll need to check the parks hours- some parks offer after hours parties and close early. The Halloween party will most likely be over when you are there but there are other things that could cause a park to close early. 

There are tickets good for after 12pm which are less expensive and would be great for you it seems. 

If you’re not big on rides I’d suggest Epcot. It’s wonderful to walk around and see everything around you. With the Food and Wine festival it was a little more busy but not bad. We were easily able to walk around and grab some bites at the booths.

If you want an actual restaurant I’d suggest making reservations now for your choice of time and place (you’ll need tickets first). For two it wouldn’t be too difficult to find a place but the popular places will most likely be filled. I made reservations on the first day I was able (180 days before going) and I wasn’t able to get all I wanted. But I was able to move things around once we were there for less popular places. 

Disney has gotten more difficult to do a drop in visit because of the advance planning available. But I think it’s doable with your situation. I would have loved to go kid free to Epcot for the food and wine and wander. My kids still enjoyed it (and they did learn because we chose to do the educational options 😉) and love going there. It was the one place we wish we spent more time again. 

I know other suggested Animal Kingdom but that has always been my least favorite park. Maybe it was the day we chose to go but it wasn’t Disney clean, parts were just plain dirty, it was so crowded we couldn’t move easily (and we easily walked on rides at the Magic Kingdom and all other parks this week- even Galaxys Edge). The restaurant there was the least liked since we felt rushed and were treated rudely. It didn’t feel like Disney to us and we already decided next time we wouldn’t return. We had the same experience the last time we went. But we also traveled with ( kids from 1-12 so maybe that made a difference?

there is also Disney Springs for food and some atmosphere, but mainly shopping and eating.  

Regardless enjoy your trip!  It sounds fun!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Familia said:

I just want a flavor of that Disney Magic everyone talks about.  Just a few hours of it=)

Hmm, well a Mickey's Christmas party is SERIOUSLY MAGICAL. You really couldn't go wrong with that. Gates open at like 4p for partygoers and they give you treats, do special parades, have all the characters out, will have the castle decked, will have all the rides open with all the lines so they go FAST. It's very very magical! And considering you were going to pay maybe $86 for an afternoon ticket anyway, paying $100 and getting the party tix isn't that much more. Check the dates.

7 minutes ago, Familia said:

I want my inner child attended to for a few hours.

Would this do it? 2019 Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party Tips - Disney ...https://www.disneytouristblog.com › mickeys-very-merry-christmas-party-...  If you have always wanted to see a Disney parade, then doing it via the Christmas party is your best bet. Check the times, but the parades are usually in the early afternoon. So coming in later, you're going to miss the parades. Doing a party, you get the parades, tons of character meet and greets. It's just a really fun time. 

I'm trying to think about what you would enjoy if you did MK. The stuff will be open, absolutely!! 

-Peter Pan

-It's a Small World

-Story time with Belle (this is super fun with a magical twist at the beginning!)

-Under the Sea Little Mermaid Ride

-Mickey's Philharmagic

-Jungle Cruise

-Pirates of the Caribbean

-Carousel of Progress

-PeopleMover (LOVE this, highly recommend!)

Ooo look, I learned something!  https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/magic-kingdom/#/slow-rides/Disney's site will let you *filter* rides by slow, amount of bumps, etc.! So do the pulldown on the filter to limit it to MK and then you can see all the options.

So with a party and the way the lines will move, you could conceivably do ALL those things, which are basically all you'd want to do in MK anyway (all the slow, non bumpy stuff), and get all the treats, and see the extra special Christmas parade and the extra special fireworks!! 

So the Touring Plans thing I linked you will work for parties if you want to map all those things and have a plan. Disney is not the kind of place to be random about. Actually make a plan and enter it in the app, so when you get in there you know what your plan was. Then you can pause and enjoy the serendipity. The character meet and greets for the party will be in there too. They will have treats all over the park, with I forget how many stations. Was it 12 or 20? It was a LOT, lol. And don't eat dinner while you're in there and waste the time, kwim? Eat dinner at the Polynesian before you go in. Or wherever you want. Disney Springs is awesome. There's a killer gelato shop there that I love. Il Vota or something I think. It's right by the ferry, so you can get gelato, take the ferry to Port Orleans (a resort), buy beignets, listen to the musicians, and ride back. Yes, Disney Springs will have performances and stuff too.

If you want a hearty dinner at Disney Springs, House of Blues is good. It's all good, lol. But yeah, I would eat dinner and then go into MK for a Christmas part as soon as it opens to ticket holders (4, 4:30, I forget). 

• Thanks 1

@PeterPan Your tips are just awesome, thank you!!   You had me excited for the Mickey's Christmas Party, but, alas, it is not on the dates we are going to be there.  

From the ideas I am getting, I do not think we will do a special meal there, because we will have a lot of nice meals out of the theme park area.  Also, I do not feel the need to do a lot, I just don't feel left out when I only get a taste of something.

Edited by Familia
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Familia said:

We can be there quite a bit during downtime, although, if we have a good view, we are just as apt to enjoy alone time while watching the world go by.

Oh don't limit yourself!! There is SO much free stuff you can do at Disney! You can get to anything Disney with the buses from Disney Springs, or you can take an Uber. You can resort hop, as they will have all their Christmas decorations up! Disney World Resort Christmas Decorations Tour - Disney ...https://www.disneytouristblog.com › disney-world-christmas-decorations-t... Just something to get you started.

Also the new gondolas are up, so you can ride them for free. Skyliner Gondola Review: Disney World's Most Magical Flight ...https://www.disneytouristblog.com › review-skyliner-gondolas-disney-world

And remember, if you book a dinner at a beautiful resort, then you're into the resort, enjoying the magic, seeing the fireworks! And don't think you can't get reservations even though it's late and they seem booked. If you do that $10 Touring Plans thing, you can use their reservation finder. I almost ALWAYS get what I want. Remember, people book lots of ressies and drop them. People will be dropping at midnight the night before, so you may snag good stuff at the last minute!! If you can get dinner at Ohana at the Polynesian, that would be a big one to try for. It's so delish, so much fun, and you don't need tix because it's in a resort. 

Little secret, shh. Have the reservation finder text to your phone and put the number, as soon as a hit comes in, to a dedicated ring tone. That way you know it's your reservation alert and can respond IMMEDIATELY! That's how I get mine so easily. :wink:

• Thanks 1

Vivoli il Gelato | Disney Springshttps://www.disneysprings.com › dining › vivoli-il-gelato  So good. Me, I just do the fringes of Disney Springs. I'm not really a shop kinda person. I'm more like quiet, ride the ferry while I eat something and look at the lights. But there will be musicians and it will be very fun, yes. And you might see the fireworks in the distance. 

Will your hotel have a hot tub? I love Florida in the evenings in a hot tub or pool...

My friend always eats at the Irish restaurant at Disney Springs when she's there on business. Didn't appeal to me. With that kind of thing, look at the times for performances. That way you're going in timed to make or avoid the performers, as you prefer. Many of the restaurants there will have musicians in the evenings, and there will be performers outdoors. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

This is getting exciting!  Funny, I just didn't see us as Disney people.  This is our year to do new things.

(Totally at off-topic update:   I posted a few months ago asking about meal delivery services while DH and I enjoyed a beach vacation, a first for us.  We chose Hello Fresh for just a few of the nights.  There were elements that were fun, and I leaned a few new ways to prepare things...surprising, because i am a varied cook, but I wouldn't do it on vacation again.  Not only did I have to cook in a new kitchen, I was forced to follow a recipe.  For the same cost, I could prepare some top meals with my eyes closed, winging flavors & themes.  With Hello Fresh, it was 'follow the card, open the mini packages of ingredients/seasonings, measure the oil exactly' etc, b/c, being unfamiliar with the recipe (and with DH 'helping' me cook) I felt compelled to follow their card exactly.  So, those who recommended against it were wise.  But, overall fun, and we had a stellar time!)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Familia said:

You had me excited for the Mickey's Christmas Party, but, alas, it is not on the dates we are going to be there.

Oh no!!! Can you extend your trip? Hehe.

Ok, so plan B. The Candlelight Processional in Epcot is really magical. Just saying. 

In MK, those things I listed are still your things. I'm thinking here about the food. What time would you be getting in? Dinner or earlier in the afternoon? If you could make *lunch* at Be Our Guest, it would be worth it. I haven't done the new dinners. I did dinner there with the old menu, and it was nice. Now it's $$$$$$ and kinda outta my league, with squid and who knows what, lol. Most of the other food in MK sucks. There's a restaurant at the Jungle River Cruise that I never got to try and you could look at that menu. It's Skipper Canteen, and it's kind of unusual food and it's by a ride you want to do anyway. I never ate at the american themed restaurants because that seemed kind of redundant. All the junk food (hot dog, fried fish, etc.) is passable but skippable. When your time is short, be more selective.

Did you know they have dessert cruises? https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/magic-kingdom/ferrytale-wishes-dessert-cruise/  Might make for a fun evening when you're not going into the parks.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/magic-kingdom/friars-nook/  The doctored up spuds here are OUTRAGEOUS. Just saying. Like if you need a little something to munch on.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/magic-kingdom/storybook-treats/  You can get a Peter Pan float at Storybook Treats, and you really want to. Super fun. Just get one and share, kwim? Also the Dole Whips (various locations) are popular. I can get dole whips where I live, so they aren't a thing for me. But the Peter Pan float is really fun, with lime ice cream and a chocolate feather. 

1900 Park Fare | Walt Disney World Resorthttps://disneyworld.disney.go.com › dining › grand-floridian-resort-and-spa  you don't need tix to eat here and you get to eat with characters. It's very fun!!! Just do it on one of your other days, not the park day.

• Thanks 1

When you download the My Disney Experience app (which you should do!!), you can make reservations and fast pass selections. You can also *mobile order* food. So say you didn't eat before Magic Kingdom and you just want something. You can mobile order something like https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/magic-kingdom/cosmic-ray-starlight-cafe/  and go to the counter to pick it up.

Remember, Disney has food at all pricepoints. You can pay $15 a person to $60 a person for dinner, whatever you want. They actually do a nice job on some of their economy food. There will be a nice toppings bar, etc. I'm just done waiting on Columbia Harbour House. The wait, even with mobile ordering, is always CRAZY and the food just isn't worth that.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Familia said:

We are traveling to Orlando for a conference in early November.  It will only be DH & I, and we have an afternoon/evening of free time.

I have searched Disney boards, TA, and WTM threads for days and my mind is a whirlwind.  Is it possible to have a more simple, short Disney World visit?  

DH went there for an evening work event once, stuck with a gentleman who knew the park well, and rode only one ride that he remembers: a ski-lift type ride with wonderful scenes all around.  Not very descriptive, sorry.  But that type of ride would be the extent of my desire for a ride.

I would like to just be immersed in the atmosphere, maybe have a nice meal or snack - are there cafes around?   I have been to other theme parks and do just enjoy the festive atmosphere.   I don't need to be entertained, I just like to be in an entertaining environment.  

Although, a show would be nice.  Must we plan a show, or can we just wing that?  The planning that everyone says must be done seems overboard for what I am envisioning, but maybe that just isn't how Disney works.

Also, I do not think I want to go to Epcot, although I previously thought that I would, because I really don't want to be educated LOL, just 'wowed' and soak up the place.  

Any thoughts?

(ETA - does that ride, i.e. ski lift with scenes, describe a lot of rides?  I only want one ride...a scenic, gentle one)

Magic KIngdom is certainly the most Disney-esque of the parks, and the most magical imo They have several of what I would consider scenic, gentle rides: It's a Small World, Peter Pan's Flight, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Ariel's Underwater Adventure, Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents (the last two are attractions, not actual rides). And of course it has Cinderella's Castle!! When we spot that, that's when the Disney magic starts. I love to watch the little kids and hear them gasp when they see the castle. 

There are fun shows at the castle every day featuring various characters, some singing and dancing, etc. I enjoy them but I'd say they are more about a bit of fun with the characters and some familiar songs, as opposed to something like The Lion King at Animal Kingdom, which is much more elaborate. They also have parades and fabulous fireworks. 

What they don't have is great food, at least as far as quick service is concerned.  Be Our Guest is the one that is both atmospheric and pretty high quality (it's quick service for breakfast and lunch, table service for dinner). They do have a lot of great snacks available: Mickey Ears, ice cream sandwiches made with fresh baked cookies, fresh waffles with fruit and Nutella, candied almonds, funnel cake, Dole Whips, all kinds of stuff. You can see all the food choices and menus online. 

If I wanted the Disney experience, I'd be at Magic Kingdom, absolutely and no question about it. 

My second choice for atmosphere would be Animal Kingdom. It's less classically Disney, but great atmosphere all around (Pandora, nature trails), good and/or fun shows (Lion King, It's Tough to Be a Bug, Finding Nemo, themed performances in each land), and good food (Flame Tree BBQ, Yak and Yeti). The safari is fun and scenic, but more bumpy than gentle and not amazing if you have a good zoo. Flights of Passage (which usually has a long wait) is amazingly scenic in a 3D virtual reality way, but I wouldn't call it gentle. Na'vi River fits the gentle and scenic bill but I find it rather boring (and I rode Peter Pan at MK, a classic kid's ride, all by myself last trip, lol). 

4 hours ago, arctic_bunny said:

DH and I are looking forward to a trip to Epcot Food & Wine without the kids. 

Childfree Food & Wine for the win! We just got back from a couples trip. My first time for F&W (and first no-kids trip since our honeymoon), it was amazing. 

4 hours ago, Familia said:

You've gotten pretty good descriptions above of F&W and of Epcot. I live in an area with really good food and did not expect to be impressed, but there was a lot of good stuff. We were on the dining plan and you can use snack credits for lots of items. I do think I would have struggled a lot with the high prices if I were paying cash out of pocket; it's much less stressful for me to have the dining plan and order a snack or meal without considering the specific cost of each one. 

Another thing we enjoyed was the Eat to the Beat concerts (included). We went to Starship and Post Modern Jukebox and enjoyed both. See who is there on your dates. 

We love Epcot and have never had a bad experience. And we've been every year but one since 2006, lol. Soarin' would certainly fit the bill for a gentle, scenic ride (although it can induce motion sickness) but it's hella on the other side from the countries. It's really big and involves a lot of walking, and it's the hottest park due to the design (so. much. concrete). And we do love it and never miss it, but it does not conjure up the stereotypical Disney experience. It's more like all your surrounding neighborhoods decided to throw their ethnic festivals at the same time. 

• Thanks 1

I agree that Epcot is better for food, but if you want the classic Disney experience, it's a great idea to go to Magic Kingdom.

It really is good to do some planning, even if what you want is a relaxing time. Because it is NOT relaxing to get there and not know which direction to go, which rides to skip or ride on, or stand in line for two hours to for the Peter Pan ride.

Peter Pan at the Magic Kingdom is not to be missed. So magical and delightful. But the wait time is abominable, so get a fast pass for that one.

At Magic Kingdom, the thrill rides are Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. The Seven Dwarves Mine Ride is the other popular one. I am not a roller coaster person. I can tolerate Space Mountain but can't say I enjoy it, and I won't go on Splash Mountain (don't want to be wet, or go down the hill). But I love BIg Thunder Mountain Railroad. Mine Ride was fun, too, but the seats were uncomfortable, and it's bumpy.

Figure out if you want to ride one or more of those big four rides ahead of time, and fast pass it.

Get a guidebook and read about the rides and choose which ones you don't want to miss. Map out a schedule, as general or as specific as you would like (PeterPan suggests Touring Plans, but I just plan it out myself for free). You will have more fun on the day that you are there if you have an idea about what you want to do. You don't need to become an uber planner (although you can, if you want). But do know ahead of time which rides you would like to do, and which ones you don't care if you skip.

In between rides, you can stroll at your leisure to the next ride on your list and enjoy the atmosphere, but it helps to have a destination. The park is big and the paths are windy, and it's a pain to find out that you missed something and have to backtrack.

My very favorite thing, I think (we went earlier this year) is the fireworks show at Magic Kingdom. It begins with a light show projected on CInderella's castle, so you want to be able to see the front of the castle, and you want to get to the front of the castle early enough to get a good view (the actual best time will depend on the crowds when you are going; I have never been there in November). When we were there, there were two (different) evening shows like that. One started about 15 minutes after the other one ended, and many people did not stay for it. It was lovely, but the first show was the best. DON'T MISS IT!!!!

If you go to Epcot instead, you can get a table in the outdoor Mexican cafe area and watch the Epcot evening show from there. We staked out our table about two hours early, and my family just took turns sitting and eating there in shifts, so as not to lose the spot. (They are changing the Epcot nighttime show, so it may be different now or on hiatus; you can check). The evening show at Animal Kingdom was nice but not very memorable to me now. Fastasmic is the evening show at Hollywood Studios, and it is amazing, but HS is not the park I would recommend, if you are only doing one.

The food at Magic Kingdom is not really magical. It's more the typical burger and fries theme park fare. Except for Be Our Guest, which you probably can't get into, due to reservations being booked already. We like Columbia Harbor House, which has fish and chips plus other options.

Here is the one exception about food at MK-- you have to have a Dole Whip back in Adventure Land. It's a pineapple soft serve ice cream, and it's my favorite. It's everyone's favorite.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Thanks 1

Carousel of Progress and the Enchanted Tiki Room are two rides designed by Disney himself. I think also Jungle Cruise and the Riverboat ride. If you want a classic experience, do those.

Except, really I say skip the Riverboat, as there is nowhere to sit, and it is slow and takes forever. Sorry, it's boring.

In addition to PeterPan's list of things not to miss, I would add the Hall of Presidents and Winnie the Pooh. And get a photo with Minnie and Mickey.

Be prepared for lots of walking, even if you are taking it at a relaxing pace. It's just a big place.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Oh don't limit yourself!! There is SO much free stuff you can do at Disney! You can get to anything Disney with the buses from Disney Springs, or you can take an Uber. You can resort hop, as they will have all their Christmas decorations up! Disney World Resort Christmas Decorations Tour - Disney ...https://www.disneytouristblog.com › disney-world-christmas-decorations-t... Just something to get you started.

Also the new gondolas are up, so you can ride them for free. Skyliner Gondola Review: Disney World's Most Magical Flight ...https://www.disneytouristblog.com › review-skyliner-gondolas-disney-world

And remember, if you book a dinner at a beautiful resort, then you're into the resort, enjoying the magic, seeing the fireworks! And don't think you can't get reservations even though it's late and they seem booked. If you do that $10 Touring Plans thing, you can use their reservation finder. I almost ALWAYS get what I want. Remember, people book lots of ressies and drop them. People will be dropping at midnight the night before, so you may snag good stuff at the last minute!! If you can get dinner at Ohana at the Polynesian, that would be a big one to try for. It's so delish, so much fun, and you don't need tix because it's in a resort. 

Little secret, shh. Have the reservation finder text to your phone and put the number, as soon as a hit comes in, to a dedicated ring tone. That way you know it's your reservation alert and can respond IMMEDIATELY! That's how I get mine so easily. :wink:

You can actually use the reservation finder for free 🙂. You just need to register for touring plans but don’t need the $10 membership to see the crowds

• Thanks 1

The first time I went to DW, Magic Kingdom is exactly what I had in my head as ‘Disney World’. It was our third park to visit, and I just remember thinking ‘Finally! Disney World!’ 😂Seeing the castle and the fireworks would have been enough for me. So I think just walking into Magic Kingdom would be perfect for what you’re wanting. Plenty of festive magic and places to snack and eat. Stay for the fireworks and I think you’ll be good😊

eta: my guess is the Peter Pan ride is the one you’re thinking of. It’s a very easy, fun ride. Gentle and pretty scenes. There are SO many rides at MK that are gentle and scenic and just, well, Disney! In your scenario, I’d plan to go to MK, I’d get the app and a Fast Pass for Peter Pan if you can, and just walk in and soak it all up. 

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

The food at Magic Kingdom is not really magical. It's more the typical burger and fries theme park fare. Except for Be Our Guest, which you probably can't get into, due to reservations being booked already. 

I was there last week and walked in on Friday at about 8 for breakfast with no reservation. I was by myself right then, but there were TONS of empty tables, and staff told me no rezzy was needed before they knew it was just me. I had a very leisurely meal and it never got crowded. 

I walked by again later, and you definitely could have walked in for an early lunch with little to no wait. Probably less so at noon and later, but I didn't check. 

Dinner I don't know about. 

We've always had good luck with short waits at many places that recommend or require reservations, the trick is to eat early or late. So walk up for lunch by 11.30 or wait until 2 or 2.30, similar for dinner. We do this almost every year at Yak and Yeti in Animal Kingdom, and we've done it at Coral Reef and a couple of other places. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

When you download the My Disney Experience app (which you should do!!), you can make reservations and fast pass selections.

43 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

I agree that Epcot is better for food, but if you want the classic Disney experience, it's a great idea to go to Magic Kingdom.

Figure out if you want to ride one or more of those big four rides ahead of time, and fast pass it.

Fast Pass.  Our hotel says that it offers this as a service to guests.  We are to purchase our tickets, link them to our hotel reservation via the My Disney Experience App & it is then available to us.  Does that sound correct?  Meaning, I do not pay extra for the Fast Pass?  I have not yet compared the so-called discount ticket prices for afternoon entry between the conference link, the hotel link and the Disney site itself.  

50 minutes ago, katilac said:

Magic KIngdom is certainly the most Disney-esque of the parks, and the most magical imo...

If I wanted the Disney experience, I'd be at Magic Kingdom, absolutely and no question about it. 

... Soarin' would certainly fit the bill for a gentle, scenic ride (although it can induce motion sickness) 

The picture you paint is why I want to go there.  About food: now that I think about it, DH and I have smaller appetites than in years past.  I will think on the main food, but something simple would be fine, since we are having elegant meals other nights.  We will not miss Storybook Treats, though, ice cream is our thing.  Chocolate feather?  Fun!

Oh, and I am sadly, prone to motion sickness, so I think Soarin' would be out for me.

1 minute ago, alisoncooks said:

We spent a whole day at Disney springs. It's great if you like to window shop, and there are TONS of great food options. We went with kids, so we did T-Rex, the Disney Store, and the Lego Store. Just walking around is nice, as well. 

I think I will enjoy Disney Springs after all.  DH will have a fair amount of time in conferences, so I will have alone time, as well.  A good balance.  Really looking forward to shopping alone.  Initially, I was disappointed that this years conf. was in Orlando, because other year's locations have offered historical homes and more interesting natural features (to me) in the local area.  Central Florida wasn't a place on my list of dream destinations.  But, this is shaping up nicely.  You are all so helpful, and your enthusiasm is catching!!

Does that sound correct?  Meaning, I do not pay extra for the Fast Pass?  I have not yet compared the so-called discount ticket prices for afternoon entry between the conference link, the hotel link and the Disney site itself.  

The picture you paint is why I want to go there.  About food: now that I think about it, DH and I have smaller appetites than in years past.  I will think on the main food, but something simple would be fine, since we are having elegant meals other nights.  We will not miss Storybook Treats, though, ice cream is our thing.  Chocolate feather?  Fun!

Correct, no extra charge for Fast Pass. You might also check Undercover Tourist for tickets, they were cheaper for my cousin than her conference pricing and you can link tickets bought from there. 

If you want something light to balance the treats, Village Haus has a salad and a side salad. Then you could eat several kinds of ice cream 🍦🍨

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Familia said:

Fast Pass.  Our hotel says that it offers this as a service to guests.  We are to purchase our tickets, link them to our hotel reservation via the My Disney Experience App & it is then available to us.  Does that sound correct?  Meaning, I do not pay extra for the Fast Pass?  I have not yet compared the so-called discount ticket prices for afternoon entry between the conference link, the hotel link and the Disney site itself.

Yup! And technically everyone gets FastPasses. If you stay at a Disney Resort (or certain Disney Springs resorts), you get a better window, with getting your picks 60 days ahead instead of 30. So if your hotel ressies are already made, go ahead and call Disney, buy the tix, and get them loaded to your account. It takes a few days so you should do that right away as you're already in that window. If you just call, they'll take good care of you! The people who stay off-property get to pick fast passes at 30 days ahead, so staying on property like you are gets the perk of earlier choice.

• Thanks 1

Ok, so I must choose the actual day we are going to visit now?  I think I know which one, though.  Also, I just read somewhere that partial day passes are only available to patrons purchasing though a conference.  That does describe me, but that doesn't make sense, because I thought that I saw late entry tickets available on Disney's site...

16 minutes ago, Familia said:

DH will have a fair amount of time in conferences, so I will have alone time, as well.

Ooo, we have more ways to spend your time!!! Do you like a massage? Saratoga Springs is right across from you at Disney Springs, and they have massage. You also have the resort hopping to look at the Christmas decorations. That's at least a full day. Schedule tea at the Grand Floridian. I haven't done it, but you might like it! Also try for lunch at Boma. 

If you take the ferry over to Port Orleans, you can rent a bike and ride! The grounds there are also charming to walk. 

What is the possibility you'll get there and realize you enjoy Disney a lot? :wub:  You might consider splurging and buying *yourself* a multi-day ticket, maybe even with park-hoppers, so you can just go, see the decor, enjoy the fun. Like just talking with you here, I think you'd enjoy the Frozen SingAlong and Fantasmic. You could eat there or not eat in the park, as you prefer. You might like the Sci-Fi Diner, which has delish sandwiches and milk shakes with a drive in movie theme, hehe. 

When I go to the parks with my ds, he seldom does more than 6 hours, and that includes the meals. We just go in, do things, leave. It's not like you have to be in the parks 12 hours and burn yourself out to be worth it, lol. 

You mentioned shows! So in Hollywood Studios, you would enjoy the Beauty and the Beast live performance. It's so beautiful it made me cry! And if you go into Animal Kingdom, they have shows for Nemo and also for the Lion King that are AMAZING.

I don't know if you know this, but Disney excels at night life and adult stuff. Every park has fireworks and evening shows. If you and your dh went to Animal Kingdom, the Pandora area is beyond beautiful at night. There's music and light and it's amazing. I've never seen the movies it's based on, but it's pretty spectacular. They have a peaceful ride there, the Navi River ride, and it's a boat you can ride in. You could go in and do a peaceful dinner, do Lion King, then go into Pandora as it gets dark. It would just be a special evening. 

Hollywood Studios has both their Star Wars fireworks *and* Fantasmic. I adore Fantasmic and consider it one of my favorite things to do at Disney. You get to see ALL the princesses at the end and it has pyrotechnics. 

I also love the closing show at Epcot. And I will tell you, many people who go to the Candlelight Processional consider it a highlight of their holiday. It's performed with a full choir and orchestra in an outdoor amphitheatre on the far side of Epcot. Then you can stay and watch the closing show over the the water, also wonderful. They're changing it up so I don't know what the new show will be like, but it will be amazing I'm sure. 

Hmm, but back to free, low cost ideas! Remember, you can ride the transportation for free, all of it. You can go to all the resorts and explore, see them. Every resort has their own restaurants, and you can go in and just buy a little $4 dessert if you want to, just something fun. They do the gingerbread houses and decor. Tom Bricker has a whole Christmas at Disney guide if you snoop around his site. He lists all the fun, free things to do.

Well have fun! 

• Thanks 1

Ok, so I must choose the actual day we are going to visit now?  I think I know which one, though.  Also, I just read somewhere that partial day passes are only available to patrons purchasing though a conference.  That does describe me, but that doesn't make sense, because I thought that I saw late entry tickets available on Disney's site...

I guess call and see. It's all on Disney's site too. They changed pricing and how tickets work. I *think* your tickets are purchased for a price range of days and work for any day at that price point. Then if you pick a more expensive day, you just pay up for that, no biggee. However once the tickets are in your account, then when you log into the app you'll make fast passes for the day you want to use your tix. And if you change your mind, even that is fine! Then you just toss the fast passes and pick for a different day. Until you actually go through the gate, it's pretty flexible. :smile:

• Thanks 1

101 Things to Do Near Disney World Without Going into a ...https://touringplans.com › blog › 2013/10/23 › 101-things-disney-world-wit...

Hey, it mentions the miniature golf, and it actually is really fun!!! They have several courses.

And you know, if you like seeing houses, there's probably something like that. You could take an Uber. Do you know about the Stetson museum? And it's also the right time of year to see the manatees I think. Check on that. They migrate in. We've never done it. (blushes) 

If you check Roadside America, there's also some funky weird, fun stuff to do. There's some kind of buddhist or something place you can visit, orange groves to tour, the Wycliffe Bible translators with an amazing museum, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, My4arrows said:

You can actually use the reservation finder for free 🙂. You just need to register for touring plans but don’t need the $10 membership to see the crowds

Oh see I let mine expire and I didn't realize! Well cool!!! It's a great, great site, definitely. Their reviews, recs, etc. were pretty spot on for us.

2 hours ago, My4arrows said:

I know other suggested Animal Kingdom but that has always been my least favorite park.

I skipped it for a while because we didn't have time and wanted to focus on the other parks. Ironically, it's my brother's absolute favorite park, maybe because it isn't so DISNEY, hahaha. For kids, they have the wonderful education books that you stamp as you go through (Wilderness Explorer). For me, yeah I don't know that it's my fav. I just like certain things in it and the fun times we've had. Like when it rained and everyone left and we got to go on Dinosaur OVER AND OVER when they were closing! That was a hoot. And the Pandora area is magical. And the Lion King and Nemo shows. 

But yeah, it's a lot harder park, harder walking with the hills. I was pushing a stroller with ds in it, so close to 100 pounds. But still a lot of fun memories. I never stay for their show there because I tried to watch a youtube video about it and even the guy who designed it didn't know what it was about, lol. I'm like fine, if he doesn't know, I'm moving on. But it's probably fine, lol. I'd just rather be at Fantasmic or something amazing.

Here, this is for op. It might make you happy. :)

1 minute ago, Familia said:

I just talked to DH, and he is excited that I am excited!  He knew I just wanted to go back to Scottsdale, AZ, where last year's conference was.  Now that my whine is over, he is so happy for both of us=)

Oh good! So he said yes to all the park days you want, right? Hahaha!

So I'll tell you a little secret. I'm odd. When I go to Disney, I find it kind of this epiphanal experience. Nuts, I can't even spell that. But it is for me. It's a place where a lot of what they're doing has a story, a thought. And it gives me time to be away from the rush and really THINK and think hard about life, about what I'm doing, reflect on what they're saying and how it fits with what I'm living. 

There are fancy education terms for it, but that's what Disney is for me. It's beautiful, but I also find it kind of a philosophical journey, where I get to think about whether I'm embracing joy, embracing peace, or stuck on something that I need to "let go" haha.

• Haha 1

Oh, I didn't tell you another secret!!! There are plenty of places to shop, but my FAVORITE in ALL the parks... 

Bonjour! Village Gifts | Walt Disney World Resorthttps://disneyworld.disney.go.com › shops › magic-kingdom › bonjour-villa...

They always have something different, and they're just pretty things. Scarves, pillows, etc. And if you get there at a time when you want cinnamon rolls, the ones at Gaston's Tavern are worth the calories. That's actually kind of a tradition with us, to go in early, ride Space Mountain till we're ready to puke, then go eat cinnamon rolls.

So you can shop on Main Street and get sucked into all the big shops, but put it on your list to go way back into the corner to hit the little shop that it's part of the Beauty and the Beast stuff. :wub:

And if you go into Epcot (which you really should!!), my favorite shops are the French store with the scarves and perfume, the British store (which I never buy anything in but admire) and the Japan store (deferential service, unusual items) and Germany (playmobil, teddy bears). Oh dear, that wasn't just one. The French store with the scarves. So so pretty and they make great Christmas presents! You can bang out all your Christmas shopping while you're there!

Just for your trivia, see if they will deliver your packages from the parks to your Disney Springs hotel. They do for the other resorts. So you won't even be carrying it around with you. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

There are fancy education terms for it, but that's what Disney is for me. It's beautiful, but I also find it kind of a philosophical journey, where I get to think about whether I'm embracing joy, embracing peace, or stuck on something that I need to "let go" haha.

Hey, it is good to find (and share) your thing.  I'm a great fan of enthusiasm!  I am watching the movie, btw, thank you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Familia said:

Any thoughts?

I’d stick with the Magic Kingdom.  There are lots of food places and places to sit and people watch.  You can watch live outdoor shows such as the parades or street performers (get the schedule ahead of time), wander in and out of shops along Main Street, walk around Tom Sawyer Island, stop in to see the cute Bear Jamboree show, or the Presidents show, or the long running Carousel of Progress, or the Tiki Birds.  Or take a jungle cruise and listen to punny jokes.  Or go on the Small World boat ride and be enamored of all the dancing dolls and their costumes.

enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1