Menu

Blah.

Terabith

51 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

It is Xofluza. It's two teeny tablets and she took them at the same time. She slept the rest of the day and, I kid you not, she felt almost normal the next day. It was remarkable. By the end of that next day, she she said it was as if she was never sick at all.

I highly suggest Xofluza for those who react to Tamiflu. It works best when given within 48 hours of the onset of symptoms.

Wow, that sounds amazing!!!!

51 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Yeah, I don’t know what to do.  Doctors totally blew me off with kidney stone.  Confidence is low.  Just feel terrible.  And I hate being whiny.  

If you're within 48 hours of onset, you could have the meds. You're letting some doctor person get in your head. You're stronger than this. 

At least you could call your current GP and say I have the flu, I'm within 48 hours, can I have the test. The worst they could say is no, at which point you'd know to vomit on them through the phone and never go back.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

If you're within 48 hours of onset, you could have the meds. You're letting some doctor person get in your head. You're stronger than this. 

At least you could call your current GP and say I have the flu, I'm within 48 hours, can I have the test. The worst they could say is no, at which point you'd know to vomit on them through the phone and never go back.

It’s not quite 48 hours.  But given my psychological predispositions, I hesitate to take it anyway.  Plus I flat don’t think I have the energy to engage with a doctor.  If my doctor friend came to my house and gave me some, that’s be a different ballgame.  I just feel really, really bad right now and not up to arguing with anyone.  Plus with my luck it would be an influenza like virus anyway.  

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Wildcat said:

OP, I agree with the others. You have the flu. Your symptoms and timeline are *exactly* like what my dd had in January/February. She went from "I don't feel so hot this morning" to barely able to walk in three hours. She managed to get to the campus health center and get tested. She had the B strain of flu.

At the health center, the dootor gave her a 'new flu med' that showed great promise and doesn't have the side effects that Tamiflu has for some people. It is Xofluza. It's two teeny tablets and she took them at the same time. She slept the rest of the day and, I kid you not, she felt almost normal the next day. It was remarkable. By the end of that next day, she she said it was as if she was never sick at all.

I highly suggest Xofluza for those who react to Tamiflu. It works best when given within 48 hours of the onset of symptoms.

I hope you feel better. And you need to fire your UC & find someplace else to go next time. They "did you wrong" by not testing you for the flu.

Wow — that Xofluza stuff sounds even better than Tamiflu! Did your dd have any side effects from it? 

That sounds like it could be a great option for Terabith. I wish she had more help and support at home, so she could get to a different doctor.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

That seems like a ridiculous rule. Are you sure they wouldn’t make an exception if you say you’re too sick to drive to their office?

I assume it had to do with what didn’t require swabbing.  

Honestly, mostly just want to go to bed.  Maybe a shower for chills.  

2 hours ago, PeterPan said:

It really was. None of us had ever had the flu before and based on the side effects of Tamiflu, I wasn't sure I'd want to try it when the day comes that I'm knocked on my ass by the flu, but after seeing dd's recovery with Xofluza, I'd crawl to the office to get it if I had to!

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

It’s not quite 48 hours.  But given my psychological predispositions, I hesitate to take it anyway.  Plus I flat don’t think I have the energy to engage with a doctor.  If my doctor friend came to my house and gave me some, that’s be a different ballgame.  I just feel really, really bad right now and not up to arguing with anyone.  Plus with my luck it would be an influenza like virus anyway.  

You wouldn't even have to argue... can you just burst into tears on the phone? Our CVS delivers.....

And, I'm definitely not a doctor, but it seems to me that Xofluza would work on the 'flu-like' viruses, too. Dd's script was $80 oop (I told her to just get it at the clinic and get back to her dorm ASAP, so we paid for it)

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

Anyone have any non Tamiflu thoughts on how to kick this?

Sadly, I have none, but couldn't ignore this. (((hugs))))

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

Wow — that Xofluza stuff sounds even better than Tamiflu! Did your dd have any side effects from it? 

That sounds like it could be a great option for Terabith. I wish she had more help and support at home, so she could get to a different doctor.

Not a single one, and this child has a hard time with meds making her sick, loopy, give her low BP, etc. She said if it wasn't for the fact that she had the paper from the health clinic showing that she had been there AND that she had Type B flu, she would have thought it was all just a dream a mere 24 hours after taking it. She said she had only lingering mild fatigue by that point, and all her other symptoms had vanished. In 24 hours. We were utterly stunned.

I was so impressed with it, that I have made it a mission (obvs) to shout about it from the rooftops so others know it's out there and might opt to try it.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Why is it you don't manage to conveniently infect someone ELSE first? Then they can get diagnosed and you can ride on their coat tails and just call in. That's what I did. :biggrin:

I hate to laugh at this, but that's pretty funny.

Terabith, maybe the doc at the UC is now having flu symptoms. Maybe call them and ask if you can now have some flu meds pretty please? (I'm going for humor since it's the only way I can help you from afar).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Katy said:

That urgent care doc was being a jerk.  You have the flu.  A few years back a study came out that said most severe colds are mild influenza when they identify the virus.  And with muscle aches and a fever?  It's the flu.

Go to bed.  Stay in bed. Refuse to feel guilty about it.  If it lasts longer than 10 days or you get a bad cough, go back to the doctor.

Thank you for this! I have had colds that have knocked me down. I still am baffled at those years. A cold would take me out of commission. Maybe my immune system is stronger now? I even suspected some of those colds were mild flus. I would joke, "I've had flus where death was welcome." So, thank you!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Terabith said:

So, for you folks who have recently had flu at your house, how long is it taking before people feel better?  At this point I pretty much can’t do ANYTHING.  Even reading or watching tv is too exhausting and makes my head hurt.  

24 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Ugh.  Really not feeling at all well.  My head is pounding.  My throat hurts.  My muscles and joints and skin aches.  I'm queasy and exhausted and weak.  Congested and coughing.  

I am sorry you are feeling so poorly.   I hope you will feel at least a little better tomorrow.  I think you have it much worse than I did.  I felt really bad for 24 - 36 hours, and after that just icky, but not terrible.   Today is the first day I don't have a sore throat, and it's day 8.  I checked my temperature tonight, though, and I still have a low-grade fever.  I'm hoping that will go away soon.  Mostly I have felt better for the past 3 or 4 days, but I can't seem to beat the fever, and the sore throat just went away.  I also still have thick congestion at the back of my head.  It's weird congestion -- I can't blow it out.  Maybe when that goes away the fever will go with it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Part of my dilemma is is there a point where I go back to the doctor and say, "This isn't improving...."  And I don't know where that line is.

If you're not feeling better tomorrow, you may want to consider going back and demanding a flu test.   Is there anybody who can go with you?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Terabith said:

So, for you folks who have recently had flu at your house, how long is it taking before people feel better?  At this point I pretty much can’t do ANYTHING.  Even reading or watching tv is too exhausting and makes my head hurt.  

Ours was influenza A, and mostly everyone was knocked out for 48 hours and then functional but uncomfortable for 4-6 days afterward.

• Like 1

And this is what makes me angry about the medical system. You have ZERO RECOURSE to demand your money back or somehow give them consequences for completely mishandling your case. It's absurd and not right. The psychs do it, MDs, all of 'em. They demand their money whether they do good work or not, get it right or not.

• Like 4

Yep, I'm pretty much over the medical profession too, on the whole.  The quality control does not seem to be great and they charge a literal fortune for subpar work.  I used to think people were too sue-happy and that was why malpractice was so high, esp in ob-gyn, but after last spring and this summer I have a different perspective.

OP, I'm sorry you feel so miserable.  If you've missed the Tamiflu window or don't want it anyway for other reasons, you're probably just going to have to suffer through several days of sickness. Clear your calendar, tell your kids to make themselves sandwiches for a few days, go to bed, stay there. If it gets slightly better and then worse after about a week, I'd go back in (because that could mean secondary infection); be careful in the meantime not to get dehydrated, that's the real concern at your age and condition (not very old or very young, not asthmatic or with other pre-conditions that make the flu dangerous).  

• Like 2

Yeah, no asthma or underlying condition.  Nothing to be concerned about.   I just feel awful.  Tired, achy, sore throat, headache, queasy, lethargic. I feel like staying in bed but I don’t really feel like reading or watching tv or catching up on anything.  I just hurt.  My skin hurts.  My eyes hurt.  I feel badly enough that I’m not sure I can safely drive my kids around the city to places they need to go. 

56 minutes ago, Terabith said:

And....now I’m coughing up a lung.  I feel like a ball of misery and germs.  And I know in the scheme of things I am incredibly lucky.  But I just feel SO bad right now.  

I was hoping you'd feel better today.  Please try to drop any activities you have today and stay in bed.  The kids can miss their stuff for a day.  I bet if you'd stay in bed for a day, sipping. water or tea and sleeping as much as you can, that you'd feel better tomorrow.  I know it's easier said than done.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Serenade said:

I was hoping you'd feel better today.  Please try to drop any activities you have today and stay in bed.  The kids can miss their stuff for a day.  I bet if you'd stay in bed for a day, sipping. water or tea and sleeping as much as you can, that you'd feel better tomorrow.  I know it's easier said than done.

I stayed in bed (well, or on the bathroom floor) all day yesterday.  I have no intention of going anywhere today either.  Frankly, I don’t feel strong or well enough to feel ABLE to do anything.  

• Sad 2

28 minutes ago, Terabith said:

My concern is if the new cough signifies something new:  bronchitis or pneumonia or something.  

Except for 24 hour stomach bug, I don’t ever remember feeling this bad for sling.  

I think a cough is normal. The only reason I've had it go quickly to pneumonia was because of my asthma. You haven't had it very long. What color is the mucus? Are you having actual pain in your chest or just coughing? You can have pneumonia with no cough, because technically it's the inflammation and pain.

So not to point out the obvious, but instead of the mental whack of a med (which that Xofluza thing might not have done even), you've got the mental strain of wondering if you're ok.

You could still call your doc if it is within 48 hours and see what they'd do. You can call them anyway because calling is free. You can command your dying ghost to haunt the UC doc.

But yeah, no bright green, no blood, no significant undeniable chest pain, I'd probably ride it out. Sorry. Even bronchitis, I think they'd let you suffer a few days before steriods, right? Me, I kiss the feet of the Tamiflu people. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

Oh dude, I'm googling this, and you CAN reek revenge on the UC doc!!! Just go back and cough on them!!! Seriously, it's highly contagious right now, a normal symptom.

Would the doc at least call you in some cough syrup? Something that would knock you out and give you rest? Something with a nice synthetic whatever so you'd be good and loopy and SLEEP for about 4 days.

• Like 1

It's really important to drink at least some sips of water throughout the day. You don't want to become dehydrated when you have the flu.

Have you had a vitamin D test done lately? If not and you tend to be low, then for the next few days, you could try to take 15,000 IUs of D3, ideally with K2 but just D3 is fine, too. Vitamin D can help fight off flu. It's better before you get sick, though.

I like Mark Stengler's advice for dealing with the flu.

https://markstengler.com/natural-alternatives/proven-flu-prevention/

IF YOU STILL GET THE FLU…

If you find yourself taken down by a bout with influenza, the most important thing is to make sure to stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water, electrolyte drinks, and soups/bone broths. Dehydration sends many people to the hospital.

You can also try:

Intravenous vitamin C and ozone, which are powerful flu-killing treatments that your local holistic doctor can provide. These oxidative treatments have a direct antiviral effect in the bloodstream, where viruses travel. I can’t tell you how many times this has saved my patients from needing to go to the hospital for expensive treatments. (See the story on page 1 for more info.)

Anti-V Formula by Natural Factors, a commercially-available formula in health food stores that contains one of the best-researched and potent echinacea extracts. As well, it is one of the few formulas that contains the herb Lomatium dissectum. This herb was used successfully to treat Native American Indians in the Nevada during the deadly Spanish Flu of 1917. Although it’s available in liquid or capsule form I prefer the liquid version since it directly helps sore throats. The taste of it is pretty strong, so mix it in water or water/juice. Take as directed on the container.

Elderberry, an herb that’s been shown in adults with the flu to relieve symptoms an average of four days earlier than placebo. Flu sufferers were also much less likely to need pharmaceutical intervention, compared with placebo. None of the patients reported any adverse events during the study.9

In addition, these natural approaches can help you fend off not only the flu (no matter which strain comes your way), but also other viruses that mainstream medicine has little help for.

Your body wants you to rest right now. If you can only muster sips of water right now, do that, but stay hydrated.

Flu also thrives in dry conditions. As humidity drops, flu virus is able to stay alive longer. The drop in temperature might also help, too. So running a humidifier in your bedroom, if you're not bothered by one, could help.

Also, sleeping in a completely dark room will help your body make more melatonin which will help your immune system stay well. 

I'm sorry you're so sick. It really does sound like the flu, though, and you might have just caught it earlier than most.

11 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Have an appointment for tomorrow because of coughing up mostly green stuff and my chest hurts.  I suppose it is not socially acceptable to go to the doctor in your pajamas?

I have done it before and not cared one iota. I was so sick I could barely face leaving my house so I decided the doctor would just have to accept my clothing choice. 

I hope you get better soon. 

• Like 2