Menu

AP stylebook drops hyphens

cintinative

Mass chaos or new order?
Your thoughts?

https://thebiglead.com/2019/08/28/ap-stylebook-hyphen-change-guidance/  "AP Stylebook Changes Hyphen Guidance, Ushering In Total Chaos"

ETA: comment from the AP on FB: "From our hyphen entry: Use of the hyphen is far from standardized. It is optional in most cases, a matter of taste, judgment and style sense. But the fewer hyphens the better; use them only when not using them causes confusion (loose-knit group, but tax code changes).

Think of hyphens as an aid to readers’ comprehension. If a hyphen makes the meaning clearer, use it. If it just adds clutter and distraction to the sentence, don’t use it."

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

The purpose of the hyphen is to remove ambiguity. In the situations referred to by the style guide " if the modifier is “commonly recognized as one phrase, and if the meaning is clean and unambiguous without the hyphen.” the hyphen is superfluous. In situations where the meaning would be ambiguous without a hyphen, the hyphen is still required. I see no reason to be upset about this.

• Like 5

Oh, goodie. Maybe The New Yorker will follow suit and stop writing teen-ager and using diaereses all over the place.

Edit: But - and I am sure the AP won't make this mistake, though agencies always do! - diacritic marks in proper names are not optional! Jean-Luc is not Jeanluc or JeanLuc or Jean Luc. All databases should update to allow hyphens etc in names.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

From the article:

"But hyphenating words when they need to be hyphenated is a habit that will be impossible for journalists of a certain age to stop doing."

Yes, indeed.  I am of that age. 

It's probably time I chuck my AP stylebook from my college days.  I'm guessing it's dated 1982 or something like that.  It was a required text for many of my journalism classes.  I love it so. ❤️ I don't think I can get rid of it.

20 minutes ago, Serenade said:

From the article:

"But hyphenating words when they need to be hyphenated is a habit that will be impossible for journalists of a certain age to stop doing."

Yes, indeed.  I am of that age. 

It's probably time I chuck my AP stylebook from my college days.  I'm guessing it's dated 1982 or something like that.  It was a required text for many of my journalism classes.  I love it so. ❤️ I don't think I can get rid of it.

I loved my AP Stylebook, too.  I *think* I got rid of it a while ago, but it might still be lurking in a box somewhere.  I was the newspaper office Fount of Information before google existed.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Junie said:

I think the journalists who use the AP stylebook have bigger problems than hyphens.

Just this week I saw a headline about a new Barbie doll on store selves; I also saw a headline about the Northern Lights dancing over Antarctica.  

One of the twitter comments is that next year all the news reporting will be done via emojis. LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1