Menu

Birthday present for 12-year old boy?

Teaching3bears

Any suggestions?  I have no idea what he already has.  I don't know him or what he likes, other than he likes school so I want something that most boys his age like.  I also have no idea what he already has.  I was thinking of spending about $20.  Does that seem like the right amount for birthday gifts these days?

With that little information, I'd probably go for cash. You could also give a dollar for each year, so $12 cash, and then a few fun snacks if you wanted more of the fun of opening a gift. For the remaining $8, you could get several different small snacks and he's bound to like some of it, and it can all go in a box or gift bag. 

If you search "fun ways to give cash" you will get lots of ideas as well, but it's tough to theme it when you don't have any idea of what he likes.

At that age it really depends on hobbies and interests. If I knew little about him, I'd go with cash.

Though one of my sons loved legos until he was an adult, my second son wanted tools etc by then. Really, he was ready for adult stuff like real socket sets, knives, outdoor gear, or biking equipment and tools, or even clothes. 

Without knowing cash is the only safe bet.

If there was an opportunity I'd ask the mom.  

Otherwise, things listed in order from most likely to be recieved well to more risky.

Candy (although this can frustrate parents of children with special diets)

Flashlights

Gift certificates to Cold Stone etc

Legos