Menu

Master List of Testing Sites (& advice!)

AP exams and the PSAT must be arranged directly with the hosting school.  Other exams such as the ACT, SAT subject tests, and the regular SAT can be scheduled online, so you don't need to use this list for that purpose.  

Additions and corrections to this list can be made in the thread and I'll update this post.  

UNITED STATES 

Arizona

Chandler - Hamilton High School

Gilbert - Learning Foundation Performing Arts High School 

California  - Northern

Albany - Albany High School

Berkeley - Berkeley High School (open to non-area students, AP Exams)

Campbell - Valley International Academy

Campbell - Pioneer Family Academy (PSAT)

Cupertino - Legend College Preparatory

Dublin - Valley Christian School

El Sobrante - El Sobrante Christian School (PSAT)

Hayward - Moreau Catholic High School

Hillsborough - Crystal Springs Uplands School

Los Altos - The School for Independent Learners

Menlo Park - Alto School

Mountain View - German International School (PSAT and AP German)

Mountain View - Mountain View Academy

Oakland - Mentoring Academy

Palo Alto - Gunn High School (no homeschool PSAT testing)

Palo Alto - Kehillah Jewish High School

Palo Alto - Meira Academy (women only)

Palo Alto - Palo Alto High School

Petaluma - Petaluma High School (extremely easy to sign up for PSAT that is offered on a Saturday and welcoming; said they would also do AP tests)

Petaluma - St. Vincent de Paul High School

Redwood City - Woodside High School (contact: Lupe Flores-Robles)

Ross - The Branson School (AP Exams)

San Francisco - Burton Academic High School

San Francisco - Fei Tian Academy of Arts California

San Francisco - Jewish Community High School of the Bay Area

San Francisco - Mission High School

San Francisco - Ruth Asawa School of the Arts

San Francisco - Saint John of San Francisco Orthodox Academy

San Jose - Cambrian Academy

San Jose - Lynbrook High School

San Jose - Valley Christian High School

San Mateo - Aragon High School

Santa Cruz - Kirby School

Sunnyvale - Fremont High School

Tracy - Kimball High School

Vallejo - North Hills Christian School

Walnut Creek - Contra Costa Christian Schools

Watsonville - Monterey Bay Academy

California - Southern 

Altadena - Pasadena Waldorf High School

Brentwood - Brentwood School

Burbank - Providence High School

Costa Mesa - Calvary Chapel High School (PSAT)

Glendale - Herbert Hoover High School

Huntington Beach - Liberty Christian School

Irvine - Irvine High School

Long Beach - Millikan High School

Los Angeles - Harvard-Westlake School

Los Angeles - North Hollywood Senior High School

Los Angeles - Ribet Academy

Redlands - Arrowhead Christian Academy (contact: Bonnie Gift)

San Diego - Hoover High School

San Diego - La Costa Canyon

San Diego - Patrick Henry High School

San Diego - San Dieguito Academy

San Diego - Torrey Pines High School

Thousand Oaks - Conejo Valley Unified School District

Connecticut

Wallingford - Choate Rosemary

Florida

Port Charlotte - Port Charlotte High School

Tampa - Tampa Preparatory

Georgia

Atlanta - Vantage Point Education @ St. Columbia's Episcopal Church (PSAT)

Hawaii

Oahu - St. Andrews Priory (PSAT)

Michigan

Waterford - Oakdale Academy (PSAT only)

New Jersey

Basking Ridge - Ridge High School (district residents only)

Belleville - Belleville High School

Milburn - Milburn High School (district residents only)

Maryland

La Plata - La Plata High School

Frederick - New Life Christian School  

Missouri

Camdenton - Camdenton High School  ("...has always been very good with allowing homeschoolers to do the PSAT and AP tests.")

New Mexico 

Albuquerque - Albuquerque Academy

New York

Chappaqua - Chappaqua Library

New York - Eleanor Roosevelt High

New York - Stuyvesant High School

Port Washington - Paul Schreiber High School

Also: Catholic schools in NYC

North Carolina

Charlotte - District High Schools (PSAT)

Charlotte - Providence High School (AP Exams)

Raleigh - Ravenscroft School

Oregon

Lake Oswego - Lake Oswego High School (AP Exams) (district residents only)

Lake Oswego - Lakeridge High School (AP Exams), Lake Oswego (district residents only)

Portland - Portland Public Schools

Pennsylvania

Scranton - Scranton Prep

Rhode Island

Coventry - Coventry High School

Portsmouth - Portsmouth Abbey School (AP Exams)

West Greenwich - Exeter West Greenwich High School

Texas

Dallas - Fort Worth Independent School District (PSAT/AP for homeschool students - check for current year as testing rules may change)

Houston - Humble ISD (easy online registration for the PSAT and AP deposit. They imply that they only serve home schoolers who are in district, but don't come right out and say it.)

Under TEC Section 29.916, school districts are required to allow home school students the opportunity to participate in PSAT/NQMST and Advanced Placement (AP) testing that each district provides enrolled students. The statute also requires districts to notify the public via website or local newspaper: of the dates of PSAT/NQMST and AP tests; that home school students are eligible to take the test; and the procedures for registering for such tests. This public notice must be posted or published at the same time and with the same frequency as the notice given to students attending the school district.  

More info at Texas Education Agency.

Virginia & Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. - Gonzaga College High School (All boys)

Section 22.1-254.1.F specifically states that school boards are required to make PSAT and AP testing available to all home instructed students.  

Wisconsin

Verona - Verona Area High School

INTERNATIONAL 

Morocco

Tangier - The American School of Tangier

The Netherlands

The American School of the Hague, Wassenaar NL

Spain

Valencia - The American School of Valencia (Veronica Cinosi) (PSAT) 

Edited by daijobu
  • Like 3

Advice for soliciting testing sites for your student:

Do not restrict yourself to any schools on any list, because those lists are often out of date.  Begin just after the start of the school year by calling ALL public and private schools and after schooling and tutoring centers, beginning with ones closest to your home.  You can tell them:

(1)  Your student is taking a CB-approved AP class (if true)

(2)  Your student has experience taking other AP or standardized tests (if true)

(3)  You are happy to pay any registration or proctoring fees

(4)  Your student does not require accommodations (if true)

(5)  Your student will be using his own school code, so his score will not be counted in the host school's report.

(6)  If your student already has high test scores, feel free to mention them.  You may receive a more favorable response.  (See below, msg from dmmetler.  Thanks!)

(7)  Be sure to inquire about any dress codes so that your student won't look completely inappropriate on exam day.  (Thanks, dmmetler!)  

Edited by daijobu
  • Like 5

In the state of Texas it is every public school. From the Commissioner of Education's letter

Under TEC Section 29.916, school districts are required to allow home school students the opportunity to participate in PSAT/NQMST and Advanced Placement (AP) testing that each district provides enrolled students. The statute also requires districts to notify the public via website or local newspaper: of the dates of PSAT/NQMST and AP tests; that home school students are eligible to take the test; and the procedures for registering for such tests. This public notice must be posted or published at the same time and with the same frequency as the notice given to students attending the school district.

• Like 5

I agree with the previous comment that access policies change frequently. Sometimes it is a matter of needing to comply with College Board requirements for spacing and desk set up.  Sometimes the change is because they don't want to deal with outside students. 

Don't limit yourself to just the locally zoned school. Call private schools too (we have gotten great support from private schools in Hawaii).

Ask for a referral to another school that would have room.  Contact district coordinators to ask for assistance.  

• Like 1

My advice-have other test scores in hand when you call testing sites. My DD now has an open invite to take any tests she wants at a particular private girls’ prep school, and the demeanor changed dramatically when I mentioned her ACT score-suddenly, they wanted her to take the PSAT, AP, etc exams with them. (Or basically anything else she wants to do. I get the impression that should she fall in love with the school while taking the PSAT, they would happily set up a desk for her then and there 🙂 ). 

Make sure you know the dress code of the inviting school. I actually bought some school uniform style separates (skirt, blouse, sweater) DD for this purpose, because the school that she can take exams at has a traditional uniform, and DD’s clothing that is perfectly fine at the local community college would be extremely causal. She doesn’t match, but she looks a lot more like a visitor from a sister school as opposed to one from a different planet! 

• Like 3

College Board has several for Maryland. They have zero listed right now for Virginia as yet. This whole thing is a logistical absurdity. Anyway, the couple that I jotted down for Maryland were:

La Plata High School in La Plata

New Life Christian School in Frederick

But there were others listed.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Farrar said:

College Board has several for Maryland. They have zero listed right now for Virginia as yet. This whole thing is a logistical absurdity. Anyway, the couple that I jotted down for Maryland were:

Thanks, I added those!

• Like 1

On 8/4/2019 at 8:17 AM, dmmetler said:

My advice-have other test scores in hand when you call testing sites. My DD now has an open invite to take any tests she wants at a particular private girls’ prep school, and the demeanor changed dramatically when I mentioned her ACT score-suddenly, they wanted her to take the PSAT, AP, etc exams with them. (Or basically anything else she wants to do. I get the impression that should she fall in love with the school while taking the PSAT, they would happily set up a desk for her then and there 🙂 ). 

Make sure you know the dress code of the inviting school. I actually bought some school uniform style separates (skirt, blouse, sweater) DD for this purpose, because the school that she can take exams at has a traditional uniform, and DD’s clothing that is perfectly fine at the local community college would be extremely causal. She doesn’t match, but she looks a lot more like a visitor from a sister school as opposed to one from a different planet! 

Great advice!  I'll add it to my list above.  

4 hours ago, Farrar said:

My Virginia experience is a few years old, but it was low drama when my kids were taking PSAT there.

State law says public schools must allow homeschoolers to test.

8 minutes ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

My Virginia experience is a few years old, but it was low drama when my kids were taking PSAT there.

Virginians are so lucky!  Thank you.  

12 minutes ago, Sebastian (a lady) said:

Yes, but not us. I’ve heard they’re not cool about letting non-Virginia folks in. I was hoping they’d give me some private school backups. Oh well.

On 8/4/2019 at 11:17 AM, dmmetler said:

Why does a school care if your kid is likely to do well? Isn't the separate testing code for homeschoolers specifically so that our scores aren't lumped in with the school's? 

I think maybe they wanted kids who were experienced in test situations and were likely to take it seriously, as opposed to homeschoolers who had never taken a standardized test before. Most homeschoolers here are not required to test, so many kids do not before high school. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TarynB said:

This list appears to be limited to California. Or maybe there's a filter limiting it to CA that I can't figure out how to remove.

Did you find this somewhere on the College Board's site? Maybe the original web source has links/lists for testing centers other states?

Thanks for catching that.  It was posted on a CA FB group I'm on.  I didn't look at it closely (obviously) before linking to it.  Apparently, someone had contacted the College Board asking for the sites in the state.  I'll relabel my post to make it clear.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daijobu said:

Thanks for catching that.  It was posted on a CA FB group I'm on.  I didn't look at it closely (obviously) before linking to it.  Apparently, someone had contacted the College Board asking for the sites in the state.  I'll relabel my post to make it clear.  

Well, darn, I was hoping there was something like that for all states, and I was just having a hard time finding it. Thanks for posting yours though! I'm sure there are many here who will use it!

I just need to gripe. None of our schools are back yet. A few early birds go back next week, but most are the week after and some are the week after that. Getting this done by September 4 may be a heck of a lot easier if your schools have someone present and working at that point. Did the CB’s research show that it was better that they get your money before you can even register for the class? 🙄

34 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Did the CB’s research show that it was better that they get your money before you can even register for the class? 🙄

Surely "Yes", because if you pay and then can't find a place to take it it is going to be on you to get your money back. <feeling sharp and cynical today>

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chiguirre said:

Humble ISD, northeast of Houston, has easy online registration for the PSAT and AP deposit. They imply that they only serve home schoolers who are in district, but don't come right out and say it.

Thanks, I added it to the list.

18 hours ago, Farrar said:

I just need to gripe. None of our schools are back yet. A few early birds go back next week, but most are the week after and some are the week after that. Getting this done by September 4 may be a heck of a lot easier if your schools have someone present and working at that point.

I think the Sept 4 date is a suggested date to begin contacting the College Board to ask about possible test sites. We have never ever found this process helpful ourselves. We've just called around to local public and private schools and asked for the AP Coordinator and inquired that way. The AP Ledger always worked best for us to find local school possibilties. All you have to enter is the AP class name and city, and you will see a list of schools that have an approved syllabus for that class. That's usually a good indicator that they will be hosting the test for their own students.

I have seen different registration deadline info/recommendations published, including HERE. And there is still a lot of incorrect "spring registration" info floating around in cyberspace, so, sadly, some folks who do a quick Google search will be in for a shock when they start inquiring about exam registration in the spring. 😳

I think early October is the recommendation for homeschoolers to have secured an exam seat.

• Registration deadlines are going to vary, school to school. In the past, some schools registered their students and closed registration way before the CB guidelines. So jumping on this in September seems like the way to go.
  • I am sure that there will be a lot of stressed out AP Coordinators at high schools across the country. It's not just the exam registration timing that has changed. AP Coordinators are helping teachers set up--and troubleshoot--the new MyAP class resources. I imagine many AP Coordinators are feeling a bit overwhelmed. I know a lot of AP English teachers are feeling that way--since so much is changing in the framework and test rubrics for those classes.
18 hours ago, Farrar said:

Did the CB’s research show that it was better that they get your money before you can even register for the class? 🙄

I don't think that CB or a school will collect your $ before you actually find a school that agrees that your student can test there, and then you will pay the school directly for the test as part of the registration process. So no money will change hands until you actually find and confirm a test site.

Edited by Brigid in NC
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Brigid in NC said:

I think the Sept 4 date is a suggested date to begin contacting the College Board to ask about possible test sites. We have never ever found this process helpful ourselves. We've just called around to local public and private schools and asked for the AP Coordinator and inquired that way.

I have seen different registration deadline info/recommendations published, including HERE. And there is still a lot of incorrect "spring registration" info floating around in cyberspace, so, sadly, some folks who do a quick Google search will be in for a shock when they start inquiring about exam registration in the spring. 😳

I think early October is the recommendation for homeschoolers to have secured an exam seat.

• Registration deadlines are going to vary, school to school. In the past, some schools registered their students and closed registration way before the CB guidelines. So jumping on this in September seems like the way to go.
  • I am sure that there will be a lot of stressed out AP Coordinators at high schools across the country. It's not just the exam registration timing that has changed. AP Coordinators are helping teachers set up--and troubleshoot--the new MyAP class resources. I imagine many AP Coordinators are feeling a bit overwhelmed. I know a lot of AP English teachers are feeling that way--since so much is changing in the framework and test rubrics for those classes.

I don't think that CB or a school will collect your $ before you actually find a school that agrees to accept your student, and then you will pay the school directly for the test as part of the registration process. So no money will change hands until you actually find and confirm a test site.

No, I understood all that. It still means that if your schools start after September 4, you have a shorter window than folks whose schools start in early August. Like, they're saying that you need to have contacted the CB and have the list of schools to contact and have begun that process by then. I'm saying some schools haven't even started and the first week is a stupid time to try to get hold of anyone at a school for any reason. And the AP coordinators, as you point out, have even more burdens this year. My understanding is that Oct 4 is the deadline for most schools now, not just for homeschoolers.

And, yes, obviously they're not taking my money until I have a test site. I was employing a mild exaggeration that all the students with post Labor Day start dates will barely have even begun their class before having to pay for the AP exam. I'm sure the CB would love to have people pay before their class even starts. I'd love to see how many kids get sucked into paying for an exam they don't even take. Because obviously that number is about to go way up.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Farrar said:

No, I understood all that. It still means that if your schools start after September 4, you have a shorter window than folks whose schools start in early August. Like, they're saying that you need to have contacted the CB and have the list of schools to contact and have begun that process by then. I'm saying some schools haven't even started and the first week is a stupid time to try to get hold of anyone at a school for any reason. And the AP coordinators, as you point out, have even more burdens this year. My understanding is that Oct 4 is the deadline for most schools now, not just for homeschoolers.

And, yes, obviously they're not taking my money until I have a test site. I was employing a mild exaggeration that all the students with post Labor Day start dates will barely have even begun their class before having to pay for the AP exam. I'm sure the CB would love to have people pay before their class even starts. I'd love to see how many kids get sucked into paying for an exam they don't even take. Because obviously that number is about to go way up.

Agree completely. Sorry--I misunderstood. 👍

Edited by Brigid in NC
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...