Menu

Spiralizer--Yay or Nay?

bethben

Spiralizer yay or nay  

8 members have voted

1. 1. If you have a Spiralizer, do you use it weekly or does it sit in a closet?

• I use it weekly!
    • It sits in my closet taking up space. Worthless piece of kitchen equipment.
    • I used it a lot at first and now, it sits in my closet.

Is this one of those kitchen gadgets that I will use a few times and then put in a closet only to forget about it?  I've been thinking about it because I bought some spiralized butternut squash (it was not cheap considering how much butternut squash actually is), fried it up with some butter and parmesan...SO GOOD!  I thought to myself that I'll just cube veggies and it will taste the same, but the thinner texture really helps.  I figure I could make coleslaw cheaper and my own french fries easier.  But will I?  I'm getting some cookbooks from the library to see if the recipes in them tempt me.

We get a CSA, so having the spiralizer is well worth it for us.  We don't use it that much in the winter, but it definitely keeps things more interesting with the summer veggies.  And I haven't thought about putting a butternut in it!  Sounds great!

I rarely use mine anymore.  I used it a ton at first. If you're going to devote the space, I'd consider a high quality mandolin instead.  That way you can make lasagna noodle shaped pieces too, so you're not just stuck with spaghetti noodles.  Some mandolins will cut the same square spaghetti pieces, they just won't be in a spiral form.  

• Like 1

I'm loving my spiralizer,  but I will admit it's still new.  It's actually faster and easier than making noodles!  I am not missing noodles at.all. Who'd'a thunk?

As for space, I'm getting rid of the bread machine in the cabinet that I think I've used once in 20 years. More than enough space freed up for the spiralizer! 

I don't think mine would work for cole slaw? A cabbage is pretty wide... and the 'curly fry' setting on mine made the fries too thin. All the noodles have been great, though. I've tried zucchini and daikon, and I'm considering making noodles out of the sweet potato next time.  Mine also has some flatter noodle settings that say they hold sauce well... have to try those out. 

It doesn't take up much space, and it wasn't much $. Freshly made zoodles also taste way better than the ones premade from the store...

Edited by Matryoshka

I don’t have one, but in trying to avoid gluten etc have thought of getting something like that

Ive wondered if something like that could turn things like jicama or daikon radish into appealing thin forms 

ive more considered a mandolin

1 minute ago, Pen said:

I don’t have one, but in trying to avoid gluten etc have thought of getting something like that

Ive wondered if something like that could turn things like jicama or daikon radish into appealing thin forms 

ive more considered a mandolin

The daikon noodles were good.

Now you guys are having me think maybe I want a mandolin too... I'll still have space leftover in that cabinet after I huck the bread machine. .. I've been eyeing a lasagne recipe using eggplant for the layes instead of noodles.  And would that work for cole slaw? 

• Thanks 1

What kind of spiralizer did you get?  Because I think that exact thing even about my food processor - I pretty much never use that to chop or shred, as a knife is faster and easier to clean. It's heavy, needs assembly, needs to be plugged in, and you have to pre-chop the veggies to put them in the slicer. I don't get it. I only use my fp when need to puree something.

But the spiralizer I have is so fast and easy - to set up, clean, and use - no way could I get such thin, long noodles with a knife - and I'm good with a knife. The only prep is peeling, which I'd have to  do to chop with a knife as well.  

Edited by Matryoshka

My spiralizer is handheld and quick to use, but it's wasteful. If I spiralize a carrot, it does only the outside of the carrot, and then I have a naked carrot. Or else I'm doing something wrong.

Aldi has really nice mandolins for very little money. Ours has lasted for years and works very well. If you are borderline on how you feel about one, I recommend trying theirs. You are not out much money if you hate it or upgrade. 

On 7/25/2019 at 4:44 PM, CTVKath said:

I have bought and given away a spiralizer twice. It's just not for me. When I was prepping, spiralizing and cleaning up, I would think - why am I not just using a cutting board and a good knife?

That's the way I feel about food choppers (not processors, choppers like this) and any kind of garlic press. I think I've been chopping vegetables and garlic for so many years that it just doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I hardly ever use a food processor but dh uses ours often.

On 7/25/2019 at 5:03 PM, Matryoshka said:

But the spiralizer I have is so fast and easy - to set up, clean, and use - no way could I get such thin, long noodles with a knife - and I'm good with a knife. The only prep is peeling, which I'd have to  do to chop with a knife as well.  

That's why I wanted one. I want to make fries and sweet potato fries (I know my mandoline could cut them but this seems easier) as well as noodles and curls like cucumber curls. 

On 7/25/2019 at 7:16 PM, Seasider too said:

I am tired of the soggy precut frozen zoodles! I just know fresh would taste better. 

Brand recommendations appreciated. 

I never bought frozen zoodles but I bought them fresh from the produce section of my grocery store. I cringed every time I paid the price for that convenience and finally decided to get a spiralizer.

After a good deal of searching and reading reviews, I got this one, a 4 blade model. Reviews said the previous (3 blade) model was better but this one is reversible for left handed use. That sealed the deal for me. I also like that it all folds up into itself. If you don't need the lefty reverse, consider paying less for the 3 blade one. 

And of course, since I bought it we've had some weird days where I'm hardly cooking, so I haven't had a chance to use it much. I like it so far though. 

On 7/25/2019 at 11:38 AM, Matryoshka said:

As for space, I'm getting rid of the bread machine in the cabinet that I think I've used once in 20 years. More than enough space freed up for the spiralizer! 

I'm thinking about getting rid of mine too. I did use it a lot once upon a time but it's probably been 3 or 4 years since I pulled it out. The last few times I did use it was just to make dough. I can do that in my Kitchen Aid mixer or even by hand. It's a huge Breadman brand and takes up a lot of room. I recently bought an air fryer and though I was able to store it, I'd have more room if the bread maker goes.

Edited by Lady Florida.

I have the 3 blade Paderno. It is quick and easy to use and doesn't take up much space, but I do have a few quibbles about it! The first one is that, in order to catch the zoodles in a bowl, I have to place the spiralizer up on a couple of SAT Prep books (lol) with a towel on top of the books to protect the books, so the spiralizer slides around a little bit. The second problem I have is that, as you spiralize, the platform (I'm not sure what to call it) extends out such that the zoodles are landing on the platform instead of in the bowl. But, I do pull the spiralizer out every time I am making something that calls for noodles. I have done curly fries as well, but mostly zucchini noodles.

• Like 1