Menu

Relocating to NY

edelweissusa

Due to work we are planning to relocate to NY at the end of this year. We have homeschooled all our children (6-12) so far and want to keep doing so. The last five years we have spent in Florida.
We are very flexible on where to settle, but NY should still be reachable within 1-1.5 hours (not during traffic). 

I would appreciate any help: I want to have a good community, support groups, co ops, classes nearby for my kids. So where should I look for a home? Would anybody be willing to introduce me to the regulations on homeschooling in NY (of course I read pretty much everything that is to read out there, but personal experiences would be great to hear). 

We love the outdoors and spend a lot of time outside. Also, coming from Europe originally, I would love to have some nice coffee shops and restaurant nearby. Would Long Island be the right place for us? And where so?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.🌸

Literally just sent "We intend to homeschool our child in all required subjects this year, including but not limited to English, math, science, social studies, and health" for our IHIP yearly, and "Our child has completed her coursework for this quarter (year)" for the quarterly reports. Except that last quarterly report was coupled with a standardized test. It's hoop-jumping. (And I'm in favor of regulations, but these regulations were... well, a bit pointless.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Everything I've heard of the regulations are HORRIBLE. Any way in the world you can avoid it? 

I believe when my dad worked in New York City, my parents lived in Pennsyvania. So it might be possible to live in a different state and commute?

Many people live in NJ and commute into NYC.  There's a great system of trains and buses from most areas of NJ.   The homeschool regulations in NJ are super easy - you don't have to do anything.  There are a ton of groups, classes, and activities for homeschoolers, just about anything you can think of.  

• Like 2

Thank you for all your replies and help on this!

I am aware of the much higher cost of living and taxes. About the regulations I have heard different opinions: From horrible to no problem at all. 

Can anybody actually name family friendly places that have other homeschoolers, co ops etc to look for a home, in NY and also the neighboring states. That would be very helpful. 

Thank you!

Morris and Essex Counties in NJ have huge active homeschool groups, and easy(ish) commutes to NYC.   Prices, taxes, etc will vary greatly from town to town.  IF you are on Facebook there are groups for Morris County Homeschoolers and Essex County Homeschoolers.  Asking there could get you more information about best towns, etc. as well as specific activities.  

3 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

Literally just sent "We intend to homeschool our child in all required subjects this year, including but not limited to English, math, science, social studies, and health" for our IHIP yearly, and "Our child has completed her coursework for this quarter (year)" for the quarterly reports. Except that last quarterly report was coupled with a standardized test. It's hoop-jumping. (And I'm in favor of regulations, but these regulations were... well, a bit pointless.)

I know some districts do accept that, but many require a detailed plan for your year and then quarterlies that report what was actually covered in each subject.

regardless, the regulations are not difficult to follow. There is year end testing required at certain years it it is not difficult, even for kids below grade level.

9 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

Do not consider Staten Island. It's impossible to get anywhere without driving, and tolls over the bridges are super high. Source: Hi! I live here!

Are there no longer MTA resident rebate programs? 

People Ive known there mostly used Staten Island ferry to get into Manhattan, and only rarely went off the island by way of bridges, but it was less expensive for residents to use the bridges. I guess that’s changed. 

We live now in southwestern CT, and early in marriage lived in northern NJ, and plenty of folks in both areas commute/commuted daily to NYC.  The trains run directly and frequently, and commuting by car is possible though onerous if you time it so you leave sufficiently early.  CT is a virtually no-regulation state for homeschoolers. Taxes are high.

Commuting from most parts of Long Island (except maybe the Great Neck/Little Neck area) is a nightmare.  There are some very nice areas to live in, and even lovelier posher areas to beach-house in.  Is the idea a daily commute, or just a couple times a week?

In the very beginning of our marriage we lived in Brooklyn, and that was *perfect* on all counts.  If I could choose freely without any constraints, that's where we'd be.

• Like 2

I would chose NJ or Ct hands down. There are a lot more opportunities for homeschoolers—bigger groups, more co-ops, etc.  we live north of NYC and we are making it work, but go to Connecticut for some things.

the regs are annoying and some are pointless, but no more than I did when teaching so I wouldn’t let that stop me.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

There are lots of words in the regs, but really, they all mean just what *you* do. 🙂