Menu

Who remembers oil rain lamps?

fairfarmhand

I'd never heard of it and had to look it up. Those are pretty unique!

This brought back a memory of a light my grandma had in her living room. It was a hanging pendant light with a metal shade. The shade had holes in it and there were marbles of all different colors glued in the holes. I thought it was the coolest thing ever when I was a little kid! I tried to find a picture of one like it, but failed. Maybe hers was one of a kind!

• Like 1

Sounds cool; I'll look them up! What I remember are the lamps with rotating, pictorial, cylinder-shaped shades that made it look as though waves were moving under a boat or water flowing in a stream, etc. My elementary school friend's parents had one and I remember watching it as we fell asleep at slumber parties. Happy memories. 🙂 

ETA: Watched a video, wow! So unique!

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

I remember a dead fly here and there.  It was an event when my step-mother would run hers, because iirc she had to buy refills of the oil.  She would run it for me any time I was at her house, but it wasn’t something she would just turn on.

She also had a hanging wicker swing basket seat, that was special.  I don’t know if it was always metal that looked like wicker, or if she replaced the seat later, but I loved to sit on it.

Very fond memories!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 4:56 PM, fairfarmhand said:

Odd memory came to mind of an oil rain lamp. Had a goddess type lady in it and nylon wires on which droplets of mineral oil would run. A pump would circulate the oil so it looked like rain.

anyone else remember this? I was probably 8 years old. 

I was probably the same age and I LOVED those lamps.  I thought they were so beautiful and wanted my mom to get me one LOL.  It just looked so elegant to me and I would stare at them whenever we were at a store that had them.