Menu

swimsuit help

regentrude

42 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

How would you feel about a swim bra? https://www.coolibar.com/uv-swimwear/womens-swimwear/women-s-swim-bra-upf-50.html I think this is liner free.

I want a tank top style that covers my belly and back.

It boggles my mind why a swim bra has a UPF when it only covers a tiny fraction of the body and leaves the rest exposed to the sun

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

I want a tank top style that covers my belly and back.

It boggles my mind why a swim bra has a UPF when it only covers a tiny fraction of the body and leaves the rest exposed to the sun

I think most people are wearing them under a full rash guard. The material is the same UPF impregnated stuff as the rest of their swim line.

My current long sleeve rash guard leaves me with headlights showing, iykwim, so I have to wear something underneath it. Since I usually wear Capri length swim tights also, I generally choose a bra if I am going to be out at the beach all day.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I think most people are wearing them under a full rash guard. The material is the same UPF impregnated stuff as the rest of their swim line.

My current long sleeve rash guard leaves me with headlights showing, iykwim, so I have to wear something underneath it. Since I usually wear Capri length swim tights also, I generally choose a bra if I am going to be out at the beach all day.

Where do you get these?  We already do long sleeve rash vests but would love to have something to cover the other half more thoroughly.  I really hate sunscreen.

27 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Where do you get these?  We already do long sleeve rash vests but would love to have something to cover the other half more thoroughly.  I really hate sunscreen.

Coolibar (I have only tried their hats) https://www.coolibar.com/uv-swimwear/womens-swimwear/shorts-tights-skirts.html

Solbari (Australian brand, haven’t tried) https://www.solbari.com/collections/shop-all-women

ETA:

Stingray Australia https://www.stingray.com.au/categories/Ladies/Swim-Shorts-and-Tights/

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I second Coolibar. 

I wear a long sleeve UPF swim shirt from Athleta and Coolibar capris when I SUP, kayak or go to the beach. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I wear Coolibar and Private Island Hawaii full length leggings because at high noon, my skin would be fried to a crisp. Both have lasted a long time and are very comfortable and fairly fast drying in and out of water. A lot of times I’ll just throw on a tee or sweatshirt after for walking about and running errands.

Some of the surfing brands — Hurley, Billabong, etc. — might have them as well.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I use this company for sun protection after having had a melanoma: https://www.sunprecautions.com/product/26000

I have lost a pair of “swim legs” but never had one wear out.  I don’t use them in chlorine pool though.  But have swum in them and used them as summer leggings for years.  

• Like 1

I own Coolibar and Private Island Hawaii stuff (available on amazon for $30ish, fwiw) swim capris.  The ones I have are nice, thick enough to protect my modesty, and quick drying. I saw that Lands End is carrying swim capris also this year also.  I just bought long sleeve rash guards from Lands End for the first time this year as I've been surveying all of the brands. The Lands End rash guards are light weight, generously cut, and silky smooth, but they definitely have a headlight problem.  I'm a bit nervous to buy swim capris from them, but if anyone else does and can chime in as to quality, I'd love to hear about them!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pen said:

I use this company for sun protection after having had a melanoma: https://www.sunprecautions.com/product/26000

I have lost a pair of “swim legs” but never had one wear out.  I don’t use them in chlorine pool though.  But have swum in them and used them as summer leggings for years.  

Don't they get terribly hot as soon as one is no longer wet? I can't imagine wearing those in 90+ degree humid heat

• Like 1

@regentrude  I can’t say for sure what you would find, as I’ve used them in So Cal conditions where it can get quite hot, above 100F,  but not so humid, and in PNW where it can get quite humid, but rarely extremely hot.  

I also have had some Sun Precautions  “ventilated” clothes as well, and often put a looser fitting “ventilated” big shirt or tunic over the leggings when it’s hot and I’m not going swimming, rather than a tighter swim top (I have that exact black swim legs, and white with raspberry zip front top shown for swim purposes.).  For being out and about the ventilated big shirts or tunics are probably cooler, and also seem less revealing to me, and more “appropriate”.   I have one tunic (not currently available) in a light blue that isn’t ventilated, but is sort of like wearing a wispy cloud/wearable parasol—and to me feels cooler than a sleeveless shirt with sun beating down .   

I personally find the leggings to be comfortable in most spring/summer conditions I deal with.  But I might be gardening or walking dog a shortish distance or doing house things or errands in and out of vehicle and buildings.  Not something like hiking in sun.   

The Swim Legs  are much cooler than most leggings— it’s an unusual material that provides the sun protection in its material and weave, rather than from chemicals in it.   

yet it is quite thin and has no velour aspect like winter running leggings or most yoga leggings do.  Lighter colors feel cooler.  My lost ones were blue and I think probably cooler, but the black looks better, and mixes and matches more easily with tops, I think.   

I don’t know.  If I were in both hot and humid conditions a lot, I might try a caftan or skirt version perhaps for nonswim use. Or maybe the ventilated tops and bottoms that have been used by some people for running races in Death Valley 😉 . 

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

Don't they get terribly hot as soon as one is no longer wet? I can't imagine wearing those in 90+ degree humid heat

I don't know about that brand, but there was a YouTube video maybe a year ago where a woman tried different wicking SPF50 shirts and then had someone check her skin temperature with one of those external thermometer things and there was a white button down that looked really hot but apparently kept her 20 degrees cooler than bare skin.  I think it was Coolibar, because I was convinced to order some from it.  She tried on maybe 5-10 different styles and brands.  I think white, loose, and wicking were the main factors in comfort.

21 minutes ago, Katy said:

I don't know about that brand, but there was a YouTube video maybe a year ago where a woman tried different wicking SPF50 shirts and then had someone check her skin temperature with one of those external thermometer things and there was a white button down that looked really hot but apparently kept her 20 degrees cooler than bare skin.  I think it was Coolibar, because I was convinced to order some from it.  She tried on maybe 5-10 different styles and brands.  I think white, loose, and wicking were the main factors in comfort.

I don’t think it absolutely must be white, but lighter colored seems cooler to me .  And probably only psychology not something a thermometer would show, but to me light blue seems cooler than light pink.  

I think dessert dwellers in some places cover up in dense fabrics because it is actually cooler than bare skin.  

2 hours ago, regentrude said:

Mine are navy and black and are surprisingly comfortable even in hot and humid weather. I will often wear mine for hours while running errands before and after swimming and not break a sweat.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2019 at 6:10 PM, regentrude said:

IME, no, they don’t get hot compared to bare skin. I have worn them in 100F weather + high humidity (all day, most days, for months on end).

If you aren’t acclimatized to being outside on the heat, then, yes, they may be different to wear...but they are still what I reach for when I head for a day at the beach. (I do still reach for my Columbia UPF stuff if I am hiking). 

Edited by prairiewindmomma

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

I find I am less uncomfortable in the heat and himidity when I cover my skin.

I am too - when I wear loose fitting clothing, like my nylon hiking pants. Having a legging hug my skin sounds terribly uncomfortable, especially a dark color that absorbs sunlight.

Edited by regentrude

6 hours ago, regentrude said:

I am too - when I wear loose fitting clothing, like my nylon hiking pants. Having a legging hug my skin sounds terribly uncomfortable, especially a dark color that absorbs sunlight.

I think psychologically black and also “warm” colors seem hotter.

but the reality of fabrics is different. 

I don’t feel comfortable expressing this to a physics professor, so feel free to correct me if I’m wrong:  

White can reflect sun heat, but can also reflect body heat back at oneself.  And a layer of air that gets heated and held near body is basically how down keeps us warm.  Thus a thin dark material that is air permeable may not actually feel as hot as you would guess.  And may be cooler than a looser light color fabric that allows for a trapped layer of hot air around body.  

There are also probably complexities related to sweat. Keeping it in to preserve hydration or allowing it to evaporate for cooling effect. 

What would keep someone cooler? A light color loose fitting sombrero or a dark indigo Tuareg turban? Or does the humidity change the results so that turban is better in Sahara and sombrero better in Mexico? 

ETA: maybe more helpful:  I have beige nylon SPF hiking pants (not sure company) and they are about same as the black swim legs IME with regard to heat, or if anything maybe a little warmer.  The swim legs are more mobile/stretchy (and on me more attractive). The nylon hiking pants more resistant to thorns, and much less expensive.    The swim legs have higher SPF, but I’ve never burned in either — so my choice would depend on activity.    Both, imo, give about the same sunburn protection as thick denim blue jeans.  Both are way cooler and lighter weight.  

Edited by Pen

Just checked and found some companies that make yoga clothing that can double as swim pants. They look like yoga pants that are looser around the calf.

The reason why they don’t feel uncomfortable in hot and humid weather is that the fabric is thin, breathable and quick drying. Sweat gets wicked away and then evaporates quickly. One of my kids sweats a lot and I buy him particular shirts from Uniglo that do the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping. Keep the suggestions coming, have not been able to find anything. 

I do not want "cute", strappy, blousy, twisted, plunging neck line, rouches, ruffles.

I want a plain cut swim tank without padding and cups, that is straight and simple like a yoga top. The guard top came closest, but have not been able to find same style without it saying "guard".  

I wish I were a guy. This would be so much simpler. Every single suit in the stores I have seen is hideous. Why the heck are we required to cover our chest?

13 hours ago, Pen said:

I have seen those. First one says best for C-D cups - so will be too big.

I really liked the second one, but was disappointed to see that it only comes in sizes 8 and up.

12 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I like this one. Not a fan of the racerback, and the midriff band sounds uncomfortable, but this is definitely a contender.

48 minutes ago, regentrude said:

I like this one. Not a fan of the racerback, and the midriff band sounds uncomfortable, but this is definitely a contender.

If you want to be actively swimming and doing flip-turns, the racerback is perfect for preventing straps from slipping down and the midriff band keeps the chest covered. T-shirts have a habit of riding or flaring up if you are active in the water or the water is active with waves.

3 minutes ago, wintermom said:

If you want to be actively swimming and doing flip-turns, the racerback is perfect for preventing straps from slipping down and the midriff band keeps the chest covered. T-shirts have a habit of riding or flaring up if you are active in the water or the water is active with waves.

I understand that they are useful for that. I am not a swimmer. I want to go kayaking and water hiking and stop for the occasional dip - so no athletic swimming involved, but being wet.

Edited by regentrude

2 minutes ago, regentrude said:

understand. I am not a swimmer. I want to go kayaking and water hiking and stop for the occasional dip - so no athletic swimming involved, but being wet.

Sounds awesome! Wish I could be doing the same! I really want my own kayak. 

I'd want to find whatever was the most comfortable under my PFD. Sometimes there is rubbing from rough parts, and it may be best to go for a t-shrit.

2 hours ago, regentrude said:

I have seen those. First one says best for C-D cups - so will be too big.

I really liked the second one, but was disappointed to see that it only comes in sizes 8 and up.

you might be able to use a girls size large or extra large successfully  

• Like 1

For kayaking and hiking you might want to contact REI and LLBean —places that deal with outfitting both sports and see what they recommend.  I don’t usually see people kayaking or hiking in “swimsuits “.    There are a lot of quick drying shorts and shirts that might work better.   Title Nine has both too.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Pen said:

I don’t usually see people kayaking or hiking in “swimsuits “.      

The people who kayak/canoe here on the rivers in summer usually do wear swim suits - part of the fun is frequent stopping at gravel bars for dips. And I am talking about hiking IN the water (of course I don't wear swim suit while hiking through the woods, LOL). Will check REI, thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by regentrude

11 minutes ago, regentrude said:

The people who kayak/canoe here on the rivers in summer usually do wear swim suits - part of the fun is frequent stopping at gravel bars for dips. And I am talking about hiking IN the water (of course I don't wear swim suit while hiking through the woods, LOL). Will check REI, thanks for the suggestion.

You’re probably in a warmer place than I am!