Menu

What shows do your tweens watch for fun?

lovinmyboys

My 9 and 10yr old boys (and a 12yr old too) are looking for shows to watch occasionally in their downtime. They have been watching clean shows on YouTube, but imho shows that are a waste of time. What is out there after Wild Kratts and Odd Squad? It doesn’t have to be educational. We have Netflix, Hulu, and amazon. I am also willing to purchase something better quality than Collins key or DanTDM.

I have girls (10 & 12).  They watch on Netflix: The Dragon Prince, lots of game-based anime (Wakfu, Beyblade, etc), the new Voltron series, Hilda, The Hollow (slightly creepy). Older DD says the new She-Ra is awesome for boys and girls. And they liked Puss n Boots and How to Train Your Dragon the tv series.

On Prime: they like DIY Sci, Ninjago, and Just Add Magic (girl based). 

(Mine also watch a lot of YouTube junk - mostly minecraft based.)

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

Mine really love Adventure Time and Teen Titans Go. They rewatch them all the time.

I'm not really sure what kind of style show you're going for but my kids (boys 11 & nearly 9, girl nearly 14) also like: Regular Show, Gravity Falls, Dragon ball Z & Invader Zim. The older 2 quite liked Merlin and Stargate.

Some aimed at slightly younger kids that they quite like is Pokemon, Dex Hamilton and the Lego series' (ninjago, nexo knights). 

• Like 1

Around ages 9-11, DSs enjoyed Popular Mechanics for Kids, Amazing Planet, Cyber Chase, and Bill Nye the Science Guy.
In the tween/early teen years (12-14yo), they really enjoyed these 2 series: Dirty Jobs (hosted by Mike Rowe) and Mythbusters. For fun, they really enjoyed the Star Trek: Next Generation series. (Seasons 3-5 are the best, but 6 and 7 have a number of good episodes as well.)

Blue Planet series is mesmerizing for all ages. (:D 
And check out the Rick Steves travelogues, or the various Michael Palin travel mini-series.

And for total popcorn TV watching -- in their late teens, DSs discovered My Little Pony, and both became big "brony" (boy fans of Pony) (:D . They also liked the animated Avatar: Last Airbender series.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

I'm going to be honest. Unless your kids enjoy adult television that's also educational, there's nothing after Wild Kratts. Most tweens are watching things that aren't totally clean. Sitcoms, The Simpsons, Jane the Virgin, and so forth. Those are all things my kids enjoyed as tweens and I was fine with it. But you said clean, so... That said, in addition to some of the things mentioned...

Shark Tank is not a total waste of time, even if I don't like it. My former tween still enjoys it and dreams up dreams of being an entrepreneur.

The Amazing Race is actually sort of educational. They go places and you see trivia about the places and get a little geography. The interpersonal drama is dumb sometimes, but mostly not unhealthy. They're in a competition and they compete and some of them are jerks, but most of them are just being good competitors.

My dancing teen is obsessed with World of Dance. The drama is low (shocking if you're used to things like Dance Moms) and the dance critique is high. In general, any of the cooking or decorating or fashion or skill based reality contests are going to be in this mold. Some of the singing ones are high drama, but most of the other skill ones are focused on the skill. Last summer, we all watched and loved Making It as a family. It was super cute. We all think Nailed It is funny and adorable (and, for real, has the best life lessons ever).

In addition to the AMAZING Avatar: the Last Airbender and Avatar: Legend of Korra, which are some of the greatest children's television ever made... the people involved in those shows make Voltron: Legendary Defender and The Dragon Prince on Netflix, both of which are excellent and geared toward tweens. They're not educational, but they're good TV.

• Like 1

My 10 year old LOVES Brain Games and Brainchild on Netflix. 

He also watches Bill Nye, Wildlife SOS, The Who Was show (which I think it dumb), 72 Most Dangerous Animals and its ilk, all sorts of BBC nature documentaries, One Strange Rock, misc other documentaries, etc.

He has also started watching great courses lectures.  He has really gotten into What Darwin Didn’t Know: The Modern Science of Evolution; others he just watches a couple lectures and then moves on.

• Like 1

My youngest (and i) are really enjoying the new Carmen Sandiego right now. At my oldest's urging (young adult), we are all watching Avatar: The Last Airbender as a family too.

She loves How to Train Your Dragon and we watch Nailed It! together a lot. It has occasional adult references that go right over her head. She watches the series Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. I'm underwhelmed. There's a lot of silly teeni-ness and not a lot of positive imo but she likes it.

She loves watching Chasing Monsters with her dad (about catching monster fish), Sea Rescue and Ocean Mysteries. These are great for kids that love(d) Wild Kratts. There's also a whole series of nature shows -- Dolphins: Spy in the Pod, Animals with Cameras and others -- where scientists watch animals in their natural habitats putting Go-Pros on animals in the group.

She also loves Extraordinary Homes and Tales by Light.

HTH!

• Like 1

Oh, I thought of a tween show my kids were really into. Gortimer Gibbon's Life on Normal Street on Amazon. It's odd and sweet and geared toward tweens. It has a lot of themes around growing up and is the only live action children's scripted show my kids ever really loved. They never liked any of those Nick or Disney sitcoms.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Oh, I thought of a tween show my kids were really into. Gortimer Gibbon's Life on Normal Street on Amazon. It's odd and sweet and geared toward tweens. It has a lot of themes around growing up and is the only live action children's scripted show my kids ever really loved. They never liked any of those Nick or Disney sitcoms.

We were posting at the same time. That is the one show I have found recently. I would love more shows like this. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lovinmyboys said:

We were posting at the same time. That is the one show I have found recently. I would love more shows like this. 

Amazon had several others... but they were more geared toward girls, like Just Add Magic. That one started when my boys were a smidge too old for it. Annedroids is another - but my kids thought it wasn't great. I know Netflix has some live action scripted shows for this demographic, but they've only been adding them recently, so my boys were too old. Now one of my sweet boys watches really dirty comedy shows and and Black Mirror episodes. So... I'm no help with the most recent stuff!

• Like 1