Menu

it's march 7th.

gardenmom5

31 minutes ago, MaBelle said:

Where's global warming when you need it?

It's global

Here in Florida we've had record highs this winter. We had a two-day break and saw winter's last hurrah (at least our version of winter) but by Sunday we're looking at a high of 87. In March. Even for Florida that's hot for this time of year. 

Also, in the Southern Hemisphere their summer is breaking records for high temperatures.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

It's global

Here in Florida we've had record highs this winter. We had a two-day break and saw winter's last hurrah (at least our version of winter) but by Sunday we're looking at a high of 87. In March. Even for Florida that's hot for this time of year. 

Also, in the Southern Hemisphere their summer is breaking records for high temperatures.

So it’s hiding out in Florida, where it is NOT NEEDED?! 

Pooh. 

I was feeling gripey yesterdau morning when my iPad helpfully informed me upon awakening that it was 17* F. Brrrr.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, MaBelle said:

Where's global warming when you need it?

I know it seems strange and hard to wrap your head around, but global warming doesn't mean everything gets warmer all the time. Sometimes the local effect of global warming is unusual *cold* weather - for example, New York has had a string of cool, wet summers that can probably be attributed to melting ice caps affecting the jet stream. That same jet stream, incidentally, is causing an increase in polar vortex events in the norther hemisphere, for the same reason - melting ice makes the air colder. The arctic gets warmer, and we get weird, out of kilter weather, including some freak cold snaps.

Another way to think of it is this: In context, we're having a brief cold spell after a tediously warm winter. And next week temperatures are going to be warmer than average again. But what is average nowadays anyway?

(Also, Britain had forest fires due to their warm spell this winter, didn't they? Forest fires in winter. In a wet place like Britain. The Hundred Acre Wood straight up in flames. We cannot say with any precision which events are caused by climate change, and to what extent - but this can't be normal.)

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 4

34 minutes ago, happi duck said:

It's still winter.  The snow we can get in April is the stuff that makes this snow lover say "please stop!"

Yeah what happens, though, is you get that little “false spring” window. Clear, blue sky, warm breeze, spring bulbs push up through the earth...and then, BAM! The window of false spring slams shut - gets frozen shut, even - and we are plunged back into the arctic. 

I like deciduous seasons and I love a good snow-in at least once a winter, but after false spring happens, it just feels mean. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Medicmom2.0 said:

It has not stopped snowing here.  All winter is been either below-normal temps and/or snow.  After the ridiculously cool and overly wet summer, my kids are just done.  We need to be able to be outside on a regular basis.

Today is my ten year wedding anniversary. I distinctly remember it hitting 64 degrees on my wedding day.

I'm over this.

After the last two winters,  with record rains,  I was enjoying warmer and dry.  Then it snowed and cooled off.

5 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

I know it seems strange and hard to wrap your head around, but global warming doesn't mean everything gets warmer all the time. Sometimes the local effect of global warming is unusual *cold* weather

This winter I've understood climate change in a concrete way. Here in the upper Midwest we've had several Arctic blasts. Also known as a polar vortex, this extremely cold air should stay over the Arctic in winter, but instead, the cold Arctic air mass is being broken up and displaced southward, and freezing my butt off.

Meanwhile, the Alaskan ports my family visited last summer are having crazy warm temperatures, according to the weather on my phone. It's been very consistent--whenever we're having unusually cold temps, I check those Alaskan towns and they're much warmer than we are in the Midwest--and much, much warmer than usual for Alaska in winter, often above freezing. That's why glaciers are receding so quickly right now; it's not cold enough, for long enough, in the winter to build them back up as much as they typically freeze during the winter, before the summer melt. 

Comparing temperatures in the Midwest versus Alaska made clear to me that climate change doesn't mean the whole globe is uniformly hotter. Instead, we're experiencing disrupted weather patterns globally, with some regions paradoxically experiencing colder than normal temperatures at some times of year. But the global shift is overwhelmingly toward a warming earth. Our summers have been really hot.

Amy

• Like 2

Preparing for another snow weekend. We got over 30 inches in the month of Feb and depending on which news channel I listen to this weekend we will get 13-20 inches of snow. The city was out trying to knock down the snowbanks on the corners of roads so a person could see oncoming traffic. This is the second snow storm for March.  I am ready for spring.

11 hours ago, tbog said:

I’m just dreading seeing what my yard is going to look like once the snow starts melting. Taking the dogs out will mean a muddy mess every time we come in. 

the moles had a great time under the snow... lots of mole hills.  dh hates moles...he got out there as soon as the snow melted sufficiently.

We still have a lot of white on ground.  DS’s school opened back up today, the last in our county to do so because we have a lot of the district above 1000’ and curvy mountain roads dangerous in ice.    Missed almost two weeks so they’ll no doubt have make up days into summer.  

Before the snow it had looked like spring with trees and daffodils budding out.  Can’t tell yet what there will be when it melts.

I have a spring birthday and snow is common around my birthday though every year everyone remarks on it as it it never does that—but this year really was different in huge quantity and sticking.