Menu

Dr. Hive, my tongue feels burned but it's not!

Kanin

Has anyone experienced this? For the past couple weeks, my tongue feels burned, like when you take a sip of too-hot soup. The feeling comes and goes a couple times a day, and sometimes not at all. The past two days, it's been almost constant. I talked to some work friends, and two of them said that it happens to them when they eat certain foods (apples for one). Another said it could be "inflamed taste buds."?

I haven't eaten anything new lately. The feeling isn't any stronger after eating.

The only odd health things I have are sore finger/wrist/foot joints (for a decade... nobody's figured out why and I've given up trying, since it's very mild), and once I tested at the low end of the range for B12, which improved to above-range with supplementation. I'd been having pins and needles feelings in my feet, a symptom of low B12. I still get that sometimes, and take occasional supplements. 

6 minutes ago, Frances said:

I know you said you haven’t eaten anything new, but I’ve had something similar happen after chewing cinnamon gum. As I’ve gotten older, both my lips and tongue seem more sensitive to certain chemicals.

This would be pretty unfortunate... sounds like an elimination diet would be the way to figure that out. I could start with toothpaste.

I did start to have a problem with xylitol. Now when I have it, I get canker sores all over my mouth. It's awful. No more xylitol!!

I have that and have had it since I was maybe 46 or so.  I told the dentist about it and he looked around and was mystified.  I tried changing my toothpaste and nothing changed.  I tried putting ice cubes in my coffee and nothing changed.  Mine is on both my tongue and the roof of my mouth but only where they touch each other.  

1 hour ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Usually white patches form in the mouth, tonsils, and/or  tongue, but the soreness/burning can precede it the patches. You might have bumps or bleeding too. If it stays feeling that way or gets worse I’d go see your GP and see if they can get to the bottom of it.

Usually as an an adult thrush is rare without other immune things going, but not impossible or unheard of. If you’ve been sick or stressed lately that can knock your immunity down too. But there are other things it could be too. Just don’t skip out on the Dr if it goes on for a few days and/or gets worse. 

Interesting - maybe there is an immune thing going on, with the joint issues, but I don't actually get viruses very often, so it's confusing. 

I hate going to the doctor 😕

7 hours ago, Mainer said:

This would be pretty unfortunate... sounds like an elimination diet would be the way to figure that out. I could start with toothpaste.

I did start to have a problem with xylitol. Now when I have it, I get canker sores all over my mouth. It's awful. No more xylitol!!

One of my reactions was to toothpaste. I thought I was buying the same as usual, and it was the same brand, but a slightly different formulation.

13 hours ago, Terabith said:

Only because I’m in the throes of it, but could they be ulcers?  Like hand foot and mouth disease?  Apparently it’s going around here...

Good gravy, that would be awful. Luckily, I think I've dodged that bullet! After reading your story, I NEVER want to get that particular virus.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MissLemon said:

The combination of burning mouth, b12 deficiency, and joint pain made me think Celiac.  Those were some of my not-obvious signs of Celiac. 

I think so, too! All celiac tests were negative in the past, but I was gluten free for about 7 years anyway. I recently started eating gluten again... and feeling mentally conflicted about it! I think I'll go off again.

Although... the joint stuff never went away even with strict gluten free. Bummer.

16 hours ago, Mainer said:

I think so, too! All celiac tests were negative in the past, but I was gluten free for about 7 years anyway. I recently started eating gluten again... and feeling mentally conflicted about it! I think I'll go off again.

Although... the joint stuff never went away even with strict gluten free. Bummer.

I was deep in denial about Celiac and gluten being problematic because my symptoms were not anything I associated with Celiac.  Yet every time I eat anything with gluten, all those really awful symptoms come roaring back.  It's just better to stay away from it.  I feel so much better when I do!  

Did you have endoscopy done or other testing for Celiac?      

Edited by MissLemon

8 hours ago, MissLemon said:

I was deep in denial about Celiac and gluten being problematic because my symptoms were not anything I associated with Celiac.  Yet every time I eat anything with gluten, all those really awful symptoms come roaring back.  It's just better to stay away from it.  I feel so much better when I do!  

Did you have endoscopy done or other testing for Celiac?      

No, no endoscopy. I'm fine with being gluten free... in fact, I prefer it because once I started to have a "little" gluten, it turned into a lot. I also gain weight when I eat gluten, and it goes away when I'm gluten free again.

My mouth is better today, and I think it was a new "natural" toothpaste that was bothering me. No xylitol in it, but there was stevia and essential oils.

I definitely get that sensation when I get a flare up of yeast/thrush/Candida. If you're a yeast sufferer, and you have oral anti-yeast meds on hand (Diflucan), then you can take a dose and it'll probably clear right up if it's yeast. 

OTC, you can try Caprylic Acid capsules. That's what I take regularly to fend of yeasty-beasties. Or, if you have coconut oil on hand, you can do "oil pulling" with it (google) a couple times a day and that would likely do the same thing.

I personally manage the yeast balance constantly, so am always wary / on guard for yeast symptoms and use a wide range of anti-yeast tools depending on symptoms. Some tools that help:

+ probiotics

+ Caprylic Acid

+ coconut "oil pulling"

+ Nystatin (swish and spit, or swish and swallow, depending on if symptoms involve GI other than just the mouth itself) (a "big gun")

+ Diflucan (nuclear option)

Fortunately, I don't have to use the "big guns" too frequently (as use of the "big guns" is hard on you) as long as I pay attention and use the gentler methods as needed.

Edited by StephanieZ

On 1/10/2019 at 12:08 PM, EKS said:

I have that and have had it since I was maybe 46 or so.  I told the dentist about it and he looked around and was mystified.  I tried changing my toothpaste and nothing changed.  I tried putting ice cubes in my coffee and nothing changed.  Mine is on both my tongue and the roof of my mouth but only where they touch each other.  

Same here

I had a hysterectomy last year and have had this sensation most mornings since-- and sometimes throughout the day.  I'm having it right now too!

7 hours ago, StephanieZ said:

I definitely get that sensation when I get a flare up of yeast/thrush/Candida. If you're a yeast sufferer, and you have oral anti-yeast meds on hand (Diflucan), then you can take a dose and it'll probably clear right up if it's yeast. 

OTC, you can try Caprylic Acid capsules. That's what I take regularly to fend of yeasty-beasties. Or, if you have coconut oil on hand, you can do "oil pulling" with it (google) a couple times a day and that would likely do the same thing.

I personally manage the yeast balance constantly, so am always wary / on guard for yeast symptoms and use a wide range of anti-yeast tools depending on symptoms. Some tools that help:

+ probiotics

+ Caprylic Acid

+ coconut "oil pulling"

+ Nystatin (swish and spit, or swish and swallow, depending on if symptoms involve GI other than just the mouth itself) (a "big gun")

+ Diflucan (nuclear option)

Fortunately, I don't have to use the "big guns" too frequently (as use of the "big guns" is hard on you) as long as I pay attention and use the gentler methods as needed.

Thanks, that's good info - I'll have this post to look back on if it gets bad again. 

• Like 1