Menu

If you are in the US, what per-gallon fuel prices

Ginevra

2 hours ago, Quill said:

Oh, it was a split photo, showing a very high fuel price on one sign and a very low fuel price on the other. The explanation was that outrageous price was “Democrat-run state”, while the low price one was “Republican-run state.” I’m never good with naming fallacies but it was the “Dems = high gas price; GOP = low” thing. Oh, false equivalency maybe. Is that it? 

I am not in California, but it is my understanding that the recent gas tax increase in the state was a major issue in the recent congressional election.  

3 hours ago, Quill said:

Oh, it was a split photo, showing a very high fuel price on one sign and a very low fuel price on the other. The explanation was that outrageous price was “Democrat-run state”, while the low price one was “Republican-run state.” I’m never good with naming fallacies but it was the “Dems = high gas price; GOP = low” thing. Oh, false equivalency maybe. Is that it? 

Colorado (dem run state, for what it’s worth). $2.04 a gallon yesterday. 

Georgia (republican run state). $2.16. 

11 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

That and a few blue state anomalies were what I was thinking of - the tax issue is correlated but it’s not an absolute truism.  The legislature has looked into a refinery, as has APSC, but the numbers just don’t make sense.  It would either lose money for the owners or cost the taxpayer more than the shipped fee, even to bush Alaska, because transport to remote areas would STILL be an issue.

Siiigh. Being rural or low population density has costs, especially for infrastructure and utilities, including oil and gas.  That’s true in the lower 48 too.  Your high mountain rural gas station is usually going to cost more than the one on the edge of the suburb in a given region.

Which would make the meme pointless since the Republican versus Democrat lines tend to coorelate with the urban versus rural areas of the US. Although, once again Alaska is backwards with the rural being Democrat.

Another point is that rural districts usually get more Federal tax money for the roads they drive on. I will add the caveat though that urban people use those roads when traveling and of course when their food is being brought to them, etc.