Menu

And that's a wrap! (Christmas present shopping)

alisoncooks

Actually, I thought I was finished a week ago, but then I decided DD10 would get Calico Critters after all. Aaaand I got carried away and bought too many Critters...and suddenly my gift piles were lopsided (DD12's gift pile looked like that of an unloved, distant relation).  

So Amazon to the rescue!   I decided to indulge a few recent wishes that hadn't made it to DD12's Christmas wishlist:  black combat boots, a skateboard (!!!) and "cool" leggings (sugar skulls). She is going to be so stoked! (Note: add "stoked" to the list of outdated slang I use...)

What gifts have you left to get?  

• Like 10

My last few things are straggling in. I got some snazzy Crocs for my mother, a few books for my dad... I need to wrap the LED thin light dh got for a sorta-nephew. 

What I DON'T have is anything for me. Dd got me a new electric tea kettle, but ds wants to buy me something. I'm sure dh has nothing. I even told him just give me a budget... :biggrin:

I have very little shopping to do that doesn’t involve gift cards😊Hubby picked out his own gift, something very specific to his new hobby, I added to my outside manager scene and told DH thank you for my early Christmas present. Still waiting on oldest daughter’s decision of gift card or money on the principle of her student loan. After both daughters moved out, I stopped doing stockings🎄

I thought I was farther along than I was.  Today I finally dug out the presents I had already bought. Some of them from the time I was gone on Black Friday and had them sent to my home. So I made a chart with everyone's name and started unpacking boxes.  After everything was out, it turned out I didn't have much at all. Amazon is gifted at putting little things in big boxes. I just finished going through a couple of people's Amazon wish lists and picked up a few more things. I think I'm done now. Hopefully. Fingers crossed. Pretty please with sugar on top.

ETA: Oops, and just that fast I realize I need one more thing. And if anyone can help, I am all ears. What would you get for a newborn who doesn't need clothes, toys, books or really anything but diapers and formula but this is your first grandchild and are excited to buy her something?

Edited by stephanier.1765

25 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

And if anyone can help, I am all ears. What would you get for a newborn who doesn't need clothes, toys, books or really anything but diapers and formula but this is your first grandchild and are excited to buy her something?

I'd buy diapers and formula...but I'm boring like that. Or a Prime subscription so diapers can quickly ship to them (or Costco). Or gift cards (my toddler nieces will get Honest Company gift cards this year because my SIL buys froufrou baby products). 😉

When my girls were newborns, my granddad gave them savings bonds for Christmas. 😄

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

I'd buy diapers and formula...but I'm boring like that. Or a Prime subscription so diapers can quickly ship to them (or Costco). Or gift cards (my toddler nieces will get Honest Company gift cards this year because my SIL buys froufrou baby products). 😉

When my girls were newborns, my granddad gave them savings bonds for Christmas. 😄

Costco does subscriptions because I love the idea of that for either diapers or formula? I've glanced through their website but can't figure out where to go to do this. Do you happen to know under what category it is listed?

35 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I thought I was farther along than I was.  Today I finally dug out the presents I had already bought. Some of them from the time I was gone on Black Friday and had them sent to my home. So I made a chart with everyone's name and started unpacking boxes.  After everything was out, it turned out I didn't have much at all. Amazon is gifted at putting little things in big boxes. I just finished going through a couple of people's Amazon wish lists and picked up a few more things. I think I'm done now. Hopefully. Fingers crossed. Pretty please with sugar on top.

ETA: Oops, and just that fast I realize I need one more thing. And if anyone can help, I am all ears. What would you get for a newborn who doesn't need clothes, toys, books or really anything but diapers and formula but this is your first grandchild and are excited to buy her something?

You could give her a Christmas tree ornament and start a 529 for her.

50 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I always really appreciated my parents giving us cash to buy presents for our kids. WHen they were little, that cash went into savings account for them and I wrapped up something I was going to give anyway and wrote "From Grandma and Grandpa" on it.

(I also appreciated all the diapers we got just because Mom was in town and would make sure she got a box of our diapers when buying us groceries)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

Costco does subscriptions because I love the idea of that for either diapers or formula? I've glanced through their website but can't figure out where to go to do this. Do you happen to know under what category it is listed?

I don't, sorry. (I've actually never shopped at Costco! But I know lots do so I threw it out there. 😉 )

• Like 1

I still have quite a bit of shopping do, unfortunately.

Still need two gifts for each of my four kids (waiting to hear DH's opinion on something he has been researching), plus stocking stuffers. And I need to take my kids out to shop for each other (they draw names).

I only have two things for DH (well, three, if I count each shirt as a item instead of lumping them together). I'd like to get him something else, but his birthday was yesterday, and I am plumb out of ideas (he never gives me a wish list).

I have nothing yet for FIL and MIL. SIL told me she was waiting for them to give her a list and would share it with me, but I haven't heard back about that yet. I very well may tell DH that he is on his own for picking out their gifts, since they are his parents. He also has to get his sister something for a name-draw gift exchange.

Dh tends to just consider shopping my job, but recently I've been rebelling against that attitude and having him come up with things on his own, because he is capable, and I am stressed. My dad, who lives two hours away and is 84, has been moving this week, so I have been away from home all week and helping him move, and we are not done with that yet. ACK!!

I'm thinking now that I need to get anything ordered online that I need to, or I will run out of time. We have Prime, but delivery stinks around the holidays and the two-day window can turn into a week or more.  ACK!! again.

Then I will still need to wrap and prepare my home for guests. While doing more out of town trips to help Dad. In addition to usual life. I really don't enjoy the holidays any more, I'm sad to say, because of the stress. Actual Christmas day will be fun, though still a lot of work. But the preparations have become not fun for me in recent years. Sorry just needed to vent a little.

4 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

My newborn grandkids have liked these Tummy Time Playboard and Art Cards and board books like this Hello, Bugs! and this is a hit, too Skwish Rattle and Teether

There are so many fun toys for newborns nowadays!

• Like 1

For a newborn I'd buy clothes.  It's amazing how cute even the little boy stuff is these days.

Next year, get this kit, it's the best toddler present EVER because it's the gift of mom & dad's attention: https://smile.amazon.com/Tickle-Monster-Laughter-Josie-Bissett/dp/1932319832/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544580497&sr=8-1&keywords=tickle+monster+kit

• Like 1