Menu

Homemade Gifts by kids for Uncles and Grandpas

NewIma

My parents and brothers are coming for Christmas and my dd7 and dd11 want to make Christmas presents for everyone! They are talking about it constantly and their enthusiasm is very cute and slightly overwhelming. LOL Any ideas for gifts kids could make for grandpas and uncles in their lives? So far, I've got painting mugs at a ceramic shop. 

For many years, my daughter gave decorated candles to family members.  She started at about age three. At that age, I cut out shapes for her to affix to the candles. She continued candle decorating over the years and during her college years made wonderful designs of her own creation. Here is a link to the candle decorating wax that we use:

Stockmar Modeling Beeswax - 12 Assorted Sheets

Candles are great gifts because the recipients can either choose to keep them on the shelf to admire or they can use them (thus no clutter!).

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 3

My DD makes candles every year now, thanks to the PP’s suggestion one year!  She looks forward to it each year.

For uncles, we’ve made map coasters.  Cut out maps of places they have traveled and affix to tiles, mod podge over, felt on bottom.

...watching this thread for more ideas

• Like 3

Things we've done:

Framed kids artwork

Framed favorite poem copied onto nice paper with nice ink in kids' best handwriting

CD of kids reciting favorite poems/short readings

knitting and weaving projects: mostly coasters and hot pads.  Nothing fancy

dish towels with kids' handprints (fabric paint)

I'm not sure what we'll do this year.

• Like 1

One year, I made my bachelor uncle a chili and cornbread kit. (All the spices and non-perishables bundled up nicely. It was along the lines of those "gifts in jars".)  Then I included a book called Uncle John's Bathroom Reader (cause my uncle was named John...and because...chili.)

It was a hit...but maybe not for everyone. ?

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Spryte said:

My DD makes candles every year now, thanks to the PP’s suggestion one year!  She looks forward to it each year.

That's wonderful to hear, Spryte.  You made me smile this morning.

I hope that your daughter will continue to enjoy her candle decorating.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 2

If they can run a sewing machine, making a microwaveable heating pad can be nice for anyone with aches and pains. We ran a table to make these at a church make-your-own-gifts festival and one member whose wife made him one was so appreciative because the slightly damp heat was so helpful for his chronic neck pain. I still use mine on cold nights just to warm up the bed. Our design started with a 10"x20" (I think) piece of sturdy fabric folded in half hot-dog-bun style and sewn on two sides.Then fill with millet (aka bird seed which feels nicer than rice), but don't overstuff--you want it flexible. Sew up the third side. We also made little flannel pillow cases for them that could be washed. We attached instructions for use: heat in the microwave on high for two minutes. I've heard of people making this out of long socks too--easier but maybe not as polished looking.

• Like 2