Menu

Have been drinking regular soda and thought it was diet

Kassia

I ordered several bottles of diet cream soda from Walmart grocery last week.  I was drinking some tonight and realized that it's not diet - it's regular.  I'm not diabetic but I do watch my calorie intake closely because I've been struggling with my weight this year (I had surgery in June and have gained about 15 pounds since then from change in diet and activity).  I am so upset because I try so hard to be careful with what I consume and now I found out I've been taking in thousands of calories without knowing it.  If I were going to consume that many calories, I would have chosen something delicious instead of regular soda vs. diet.  

Anyway, I'm just really upset and venting here.  I have also struggled with eating disorders for my whole life so I don't know if I'm overreacting or not.  It's a lot of calories and I work so hard every day to try to eat right and exercise.  

I did contact Walmart.  If I were diabetic, I assume this could have been dangerous?  

I'm sorry.  It sounds like an innocent mix up.  I wouldn't give it too much thought, though, because in the grand scheme diet soda messes with your metabolism.  Studies show that regular drinkers have a higher risk of cardiovascular disease and increased BMI.  Your body thinks it's getting sugar and adjusts its metabolism only to be tricked.   It sounds like both diet and regular have risks for your body.  It is easier when you're drinking what you thought you were drinking, though. ?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Anyway, I'm just really upset and venting here.  I have also struggled with eating disorders for my whole life so I don't know if I'm overreacting or not.  It's a lot of calories and I work so hard every day to try to eat right and exercise.  

It’s very frustrating for sure.  But with the eating disorders, you might be overreacting.  Can’t tell without seeing you in person to judge your level of upsetness.

You can be upset and super, duper irritated, but healthy inner thoughts should quickly turn to “Well, I drank it innocently and stopped the moment I realized the mistake.  Water under the bridge now.  I will continue my good eating/exercise habits and have to let this go.”  And after a day of irritation at most, you should let it go.  

If you find yourself dwelling on this longer than a day and never getting to the healthy inner thoughts above, you might be overreacting.  And this should be something that only pops into your mind from time to time during that day.  If you’re dwelling on it All Day Long for hours, you might also be overreacting.  

Edited by Garga
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

This is said gently and I hope I write this so it sounds the way it's meant... you state that you've had thousands of extra calories this week due to the mix up. How much soda are you drinking? Are you drinking anything else during the day? How much water do you drink daily? I'm hoping that your estimation of your extra caloric intake is elevated due to your being upset. Thousands of calories from drinking soda in a week is a lot of empty calories. Even if that quantity of soda was diet, that's a lot of artificial sweetener.

I do understand the reason for being upset (I had something similar happen with decaf and regular tea). It's quite disheartening when you think you're eating/drinking one thing and find out it's something completely different. Weren't you able to taste the difference between the diet and the regular soda?

Again, I'm not trying to be snarky and my questions are sincere.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, The Accidental Coach said:

This is said gently and I hope I write this so it sounds the way it's meant... you state that you've had thousands of extra calories this week due to the mix up. How much soda are you drinking? Are you drinking anything else during the day? How much water do you drink daily? I'm hoping that your estimation of your extra caloric intake is elevated due to your being upset. Thousands of calories from drinking soda in a week is a lot of empty calories. Even if that quantity of soda was diet, that's a lot of artificial sweetener.

I do understand the reason for being upset (I had something similar happen with decaf and regular tea). It's quite disheartening when you think you're eating/drinking one thing and find out it's something completely different. Weren't you able to taste the difference between the diet and the regular soda?

Again, I'm not trying to be snarky and my questions are sincere.

I didn't take it as snarky at all.  I always appreciate responses and knew it was risky exposing how much diet soda I drink.  I drink way too much diet soda (and diet iced tea).  It is a lot of artificial sweetener.  Way too much.  I didn't taste the difference at all.  I just happened to look at the bottle and noticed it looked a little different and then was horrified to realize it didn't say diet on the label.  

• Like 2

Have you ever tried subbing sparkling water for the diet soda?  I know habits are hard to change (struggling with my own issues) but this one is probably worth the effort.

also I totally sympathise.  I recently thought I’d try a non dairy milk substitute and ordered almond milk only when I read the ingredient it was mostly water and sunflower oil with 3pc almonds.  I have no idea if that’s normal for almond milk but it didn’t really sound like a healthy milk substitute and it tasted revolting as well.  It’s so frustrating when you think you are making a healthier choice.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Have you ever tried subbing sparkling water for the diet soda?  I know habits are hard to change (struggling with my own issues) but this one is probably worth the effort.

also I totally sympathise.  I recently thought I’d try a non dairy milk substitute and ordered almond milk only when I read the ingredient it was mostly water and sunflower oil with 3pc almonds.  I have no idea if that’s normal for almond milk but it didn’t really sound like a healthy milk substitute and it tasted revolting as well.  It’s so frustrating when you think you are making a healthier choice.

I subbed flavored carbonated water (no artificial sweetener) for diet soda many years ago and totally eliminated the soda for years.  Then, I started having chronic insomnia and slowly added diet soda back in for the caffeine and got hooked to the point where I drink it all day long (caffeine-free later in the day).  

That stinks about the almond milk.  With this Walmart order, I ordered unsweetened almond milk and they were out of stock and substituted with sweetened, which I refused.  But at least I was able to decide on that.  I didn't know with the soda and the labels are so similar.  I should have been more careful and checked.

10 minutes ago, Kassia said:

I subbed flavored carbonated water (no artificial sweetener) for diet soda many years ago and totally eliminated the soda for years.  Then, I started having chronic insomnia and slowly added diet soda back in for the caffeine and got hooked to the point where I drink it all day long (caffeine-free later in the day).  

That stinks about the almond milk.  With this Walmart order, I ordered unsweetened almond milk and they were out of stock and substituted with sweetened, which I refused.  But at least I was able to decide on that.  I didn't know with the soda and the labels are so similar.  I should have been more careful and checked.

I hear you in the caffeine because coffee is my thing!  I am trying to drink more green tea to cut back on the dairy intake from the coffee but I don’t always remember.

• Like 2

I once had an even stranger mix-up. We purchased A&W root beer, the box was correct and the cans were correct, but inside each can was cream soda!  It was fine for us, but I called the hotline on the box just in case there was possibly an allergy issue for others. The girl seemed really confused about how that happened. I figured a case of the wrong cans got sent to the bottling plant and because they are so similar no one noticed. 

• Like 1

Your comment about being potentially dangerous for diabetics brought back memories of working fast food in my high school days. We had a couple of regular customers who wanted a blood oath that it was diet Coke every single time, lol. Because they could DIE if we gave them the wrong soft drink, die I tell you! 

We finally told them that we always double-checked that it came from the diet Coke dispenser, but we weren't the ones who hooked up the dispenser. We all make three bucks an hour, you might want to drink some water. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, katilac said:

Your comment about being potentially dangerous for diabetics brought back memories of working fast food in my high school days. We had a couple of regular customers who wanted a blood oath that it was diet Coke every single time, lol. Because they could DIE if we gave them the wrong soft drink, die I tell you! 

We finally told them that we always double-checked that it came from the diet Coke dispenser, but we weren't the ones who hooked up the dispenser. We all make three bucks an hour, you might want to drink some water. 

I've never asked but I am always wary of drinking diet soda from places like that because I never trust that it's really diet!  

21 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

.  I recently thought I’d try a non dairy milk substitute and ordered almond milk only when I read the ingredient it was mostly water and sunflower oil with 3pc almonds.  I have no idea if that’s normal for almond milk but it didn’t really sound like a healthy milk substitute and it tasted revolting as well.  

The almond milk that my husband buys for fun rather than for nutrition is listed as 2% almond on this Australia webpage. It has a nice summary table including prices, as well as a homemade recipe https://www.choice.com.au/food-and-drink/dairy/milk/articles/almond-milk

• Like 1